Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

predicto posted:

Yep. It's a rorschach test for me too.

I read it as an indication that the cops had hired the brothers to get at Jesse, and paid for a hotel room before the attack.
What are you taking about. After the alleged attack the police arrested them, released them, and temporarily put them up in a hotel because they were important witnesses for the case. It's really not that weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mystes posted:

What are you taking about. After the alleged attack the police arrested them, released them, and temporarily put them up in a hotel because they were important witnesses for the case. It's really not that weird.

I know that now. I misread it as meaning (maybe hoping?) that it was something more significant than that. Some people still think it is significant, I guess.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mystes posted:

I had the same reaction as predicto when I read the headline and was similarly unimpressed when I read the actual article.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Charlz Guybon posted:

I had the same reaction as predicto when I read the headline and was similarly unimpressed when I read the actual article.

I mean, they made it out to be important by making it a headline and devoting a whole article to it. It was absolutely the deceptive clickbait garbage it was called out to be that sparked all this debate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
ITT: Goons somehow being surprised that a news story tweet is clickbait.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
nevermind, I'm a derail machine today

moving on...

predicto fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 29, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The thing that prompted the article in the first place was the cops complaining about how much money they spent on the investigation.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

predicto posted:

That's not what I asked.

And yet, there's still enough information there to infer an answer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sexpig by night posted:

Cops don't...do that. Especially when the issue they're avoiding is 'media' and not 'mob hit-men'.

It's especially cool when the cops are 100% using this to juice the bill for the 'that horrible man cost us soooo much'.

What the cops are saying is that, after these two brothers confessed to entering into a criminal conspiracy to assault Smollett, and temporarily fled the country (before returning for some reason. Why? Who knows!) they then let them not only walk free from the police station without any charges being laid against them, but also paid for hotel rooms with 24 hour security and sent officers out multiple times per day to buy meals for them.

And did so for nearly a week.

predicto posted:

But I don't know what actually happened...And neither do any of the other posters in this thread who are confidently claiming that they do know. Right now this thing is nothing but a Rorschach test, where people can believe whatever they want.

Dude, the cops released all their files on the case several days ago.

They're available for anyone to read, so why don't you.

I've read them and there was not one thing in any of the reports which constituted evidence against Smollett, beyond the testimony of the brothers.

So, when we hear about the cops going out of their way to set them up in a hotel, play Meals On Wheels for them, pay for 24hour a day security and chauffeur them around, we should definitely be looking that that and saying, 'why?'.

You're right that this is a Rorschach test. But one where the answer people are falling over themselves to give is 'I'm not racist, but' which can't be easy to say with their tongues stuck to cop boot.

Please think of the poor Chicago police force. They're had such a hard time getting convictions since their illegal black site where they tortured confessions out of innocent people was shut down, and now they've lost this one, too.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1111348504121606144

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Please think of the poor Chicago police force. They're had such a hard time getting convictions since their illegal black site where they tortured confessions out of innocent people was shut down, and now they've lost this one, too.

If they don't get that money back, how are they going to afford to pay 17 officers to raid a 4 year old's birthday party and the peroxide they need to pour on presents???

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03/26/birthday-party-raid-cpd-lawsuit/

It's fine, though, the suspect they were after lived there 5 years ago. Totally justified.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hell yeah. I think there's room for a movement to start looking at defunding oppressive gulf states from every angle. Green energy is another great example; every electric car is a thumb in the eye of Mohammed Bin Salman. Also need to put as much pressure on lobbyists who work for them and think tanks that take their money--looking at you Every Single Right Wing Think Tank In DC and CAP Too.

Force them to try and say that calling out some lanyard for being an apparatchick and bootlicker for societies that behead gay kids and atheists is racism or something similarly dumb. Really put the screws to them, is what I'm saying, and force them to either own up that they love blood money or disavow the work and force those states to go to ever less influential bottom feeders and cynical grifters.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

selec posted:

Hell yeah. I think there's room for a movement to start looking at defunding oppressive gulf states from every angle. Green energy is another great example; every electric car is a thumb in the eye of Mohammed Bin Salman. Also need to put as much pressure on lobbyists who work for them and think tanks that take their money--looking at you Every Single Right Wing Think Tank In DC and CAP Too.

Force them to try and say that calling out some lanyard for being an apparatchick and bootlicker for societies that behead gay kids and atheists is racism or something similarly dumb. Really put the screws to them, is what I'm saying, and force them to either own up that they love blood money or disavow the work and force those states to go to ever less influential bottom feeders and cynical grifters.

Right on! I think this is a great sentiment also to vote with our wallets and policy to not tolerate autocrats.

However Brunei is not a gulf state.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Lord Wexia posted:

Right on! I think this is a great sentiment also to vote with our wallets and policy to not tolerate autocrats.

However Brunei is not a gulf state.

LOL TRUE.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1111656357764186115

love that victory lap is the new infastructure week. this won't hurt the economy or his polls at all.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-kim-foxx-interview-20190327-story.html

Foxx had said she recused herself from the case last month after revealing she had contact with Smollett's representatives early on in the investigation. She declined to provide details at the time, but on Wednesday, her office quibbled over the terminology, saying Foxx did not formally recuse herself “in a legal sense.”

"While the term “recusal “ was used when it was announced she was stepping away from the Smollett case, a Foxx spokeswoman said, “it was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense."

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Ah

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think the weirdest and funniest part so far is Jussies attorney saying the brothers were wearing Joker makeup under the ski masks and that's why Jussie thought they were white.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your Parents posted:

how about we assume people are innocent until they are proven guilty

:thunk:

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Good job defending a corrupt police state.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your Parents posted:

:thunk:

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Your Parents posted:

"While the term “recusal “ was used when it was announced she was stepping away from the Smollett case, a Foxx spokeswoman said, “it was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense."

Seriously, this is Burn After Reading level Coens at this point

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I still love how the white lady in the 2008 hoax which had all the evidence in the world against her got off way lighter than Jussie Smollet did, despite irrefutable evidence and lying a billion times. Weird how the white lady only gets one count and it's quickly dropped and she doesn't even have to pay a fine, but the black guy with, it turns out, no evidence against him is treated even more guilty and the mayor and police are demanding he pay 130k on top of the 10k he's already paid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fighting a corrupt police state by seeing how far down my digestive tract a cop boot can fit

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Fighting a corrupt police state by seeing how far down my digestive tract a cop boot can fit

I get it I get it. You love rich people and want to kiss them on the bare feet and don't think they're capable of wrongdoing. They're so much better than us normal people.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PJTobia/status/1111692526854041600

https://twitter.com/PJTobia/status/1111693598905516032

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Your Parents posted:

I get it I get it. You love rich people and want to kiss them on the bare feet and don't think they're capable of wrongdoing. They're so much better than us normal people.

This take is rich.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Followup with link to an actual article on the concentration camp:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1111653953945501696

https://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-na-asylum-migrants-el-paso-camp-20190329-htmlstory.html

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Your Parents posted:

Like, the two guys he paid are on video buying rope and masks and red hats.

Your Parents posted:

Go click the "see all posts by this user in the thread" button and see where you stood yp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Z. Autobahn posted:

Seriously, this is Burn After Reading level Coens at this point

AAaaaa that's who Betsy DeVos reminds me of, mother gently caress

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

hoo. You know kids in cages was one thing, this a whole different level of depravity. Rather than it being an overty imposition of resources dedicated to repression it shows an additional level of cruelty defined by abject neglect of the most basic of human needs. This is a literal death camp.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

So is there really a large uptick in asylum seakers/immigrants or is this all from increasing enforcement/poor logistics?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh great we're putting immigrants in literal loving concentration camps now.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

ummel posted:

So is there really a large uptick in asylum seakers/immigrants or is this all from increasing enforcement/poor logistics?

It's purposeful by the administration, and agency, to support their false statements of an increasing surge.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ummel posted:

THERE'S A HUGE INCREASE OF IMMIGRANTS FLOODING THIS SITE because we shut down all the others IT'S AN INVASION, WE'RE IN A CRISISthat we made happen BROWN PEOPLE ARE COMING FOR YOUR JOBS AND YOUR CHILDREN.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1111678823072854016

thread

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

I skimmed but gave up after ~20 tweets, what is this getting at?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Kobayashi posted:

I skimmed but gave up after ~20 tweets, what is this getting at?

just this, basically
https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1111742555891396608
(wemple is a media critic)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Well it only went on for 5 more but it sounds like she wanted to give MSNBC and state heads the heads up first for times but they had the info and wanted to publish it at that point she asked to talk directly to their editor directly to stop the post.

I don’t see how this is on the DNC over MSNBC though it really sounded like they wanted the network to have the actual announcement but the author stressed it the other way around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spiffster posted:

Well it only went on for 5 more but it sounds like she wanted to give MSNBC and state heads the heads up first for times but they had the info and wanted to publish it at that point she asked to talk directly to their editor directly to stop the post.

I don’t see how this is on the DNC over MSNBC though it really sounded like they wanted the network to have the actual announcement but the author stressed it the other way around

Yashar is really dumb, MSNBC wanted to have the scoop, the DNC said 'can you not actually' and Yashar is holding it up as 'bullying'