Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

gently caress Your Website posted:

Just a bunch of guys being dudes

Just some regular dudes who chill and have expert level music theory who might be our last chance to save rock n roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Why does rock'n roll need saving anyway, who seriously thinks that bands of white guys playing guitar based music isn't just completely played out going to stop happening?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

1) These dummies need to realize that Rock and/or Roll was only ever a combination of other sounds. (Mostly stolen from Black artists)

This is also the first sentence in my doctorate thesis "Limp Bizkit is the most Rock N Roll artist since Elvis"

poo poo, Johnny Cash even said when he started out he wasn't called Country he was called Rockabilly.

2) Kurt Cobain mocks your expert level music theory. Rock only ever had a passing acquaintance with music theory aside from knowing which chords like to move to which.

Also their "expert level" is probably not what they think it is, unless they have Berkeley degrees.

3) no style of music needs to be "saved". Tastes change, bands adjust. If you love the rock sound, make Rock n Roll and play bars. If you don't love what you're playing, no one is going to dig it. Hell if you love it, do it well, and are lucky you might even get a following. If you just want to be famous, good luck but not happening.

All those youtube stars that make enough money to live off of through their music? They have charisma and talent and clearly enjoy what they do. You know what they don't care about? Saving poo poo.

I mean no one here needs to be told this, I just hate this mourning of dead music that seems so prevalent today.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 28, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chalupa Joe posted:

Why does rock'n roll need saving anyway, who seriously thinks that bands of white guys playing guitar based music isn't just completely played out going to stop happening?

again they're in utah. they only just got rock n roll like five years ago

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

This abombination has been floating around local craigslist for months and now I pass the savings on to you
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/d/art-deco-dreadnought-guitar/6573689183.html

Edit: sorry, haven't posted in long enough that I don't know how images work here anymore I am not good with internet

Nearly a year later the item for sale is the same but I think I know how to post images again and to justify this further lets say the real stupid music poo poo here is the idiotic persistence of doggedly posting the same unsellable crap to craigslist ad nauseum

quote:

Custom Classical Guitar Case - Beautiful - Great Gift! - $89
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/d/carlsbad-custom-classical-guitar-case/6834420861.html
Fits classical guitars / Art Deco
Art Picture-Collage on a quality guitar case
Many cool pic's of many cool musicians, etc.
Great Energy!
Sealed in clear acrylic to make it really pop & last a long time
PRICE FIRM - SOME HOURS WENT INTO THIS - LEAVE
A PHONE NUMBER!

Inside Case Measurements -
Upper bout - 11.5"
Lower bout - 15"
Depth at sound box - 4.25"
Overall inside length - 40.5"

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 28, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of garish, stupid music poo poo:

This came up in my reverb feed. It looks so loving dumb... and yet I kinda want to buy it?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

This came up in my reverb feed. It looks so loving dumb... and yet I kinda want to buy it?

Hahaha it’s loving dollar bills. Incredible. Please buy it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wark Say posted:

the only way this could be better is if it was a sheet of $2s

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Money Guitar for playing Van Halen only.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jonny Nox posted:

Money Guitar for playing Van Halen only.

You have to at least be allowed to play Money on it

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Van Halen likes "big fat moneeeeey"

Pink Floyd bemoans the corrupting influence of wealth and fame.

Is my thinking

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

First thing I'd play on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLBGTkLgow

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

For giggles I went to sweetwater -> guitar heads -> sort highest to lowest in price to find out the most expensive production head you can buy right now.

Wouldn't you know it, it's a fuckin' John Mayer signature head? lol

https://www.sweetwater.com/c623--Guitar_Amp_Heads/high2low

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE imo

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Conversely, the band description on their facebook page:

quote:

Just a bunch of guys being dudes. 

So the one on the far right. That's not a cute goth chick?

I've got some recalibrating to do.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

For giggles I went to sweetwater -> guitar heads -> sort highest to lowest in price to find out the most expensive production head you can buy right now.

You can buy a hand-wired clone for 1/4 the price. (That might actually be a clone of the Dumble he uses but whatever, close enough.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

former glory posted:

So the one on the far right. That's not a cute goth chick?

I've got some recalibrating to do.

Might be a cute goth dude! :swoon:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YerWq6qo4

Lol this poo poo sucks hard, I would like to make a kickstarter that prevents their album from coming out.

I clicked around the video, found no guitar solo.

I thought they were trying to save Rock and Roll.

Anyways white guys hammering guitars right now part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h84JhImdv74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVyEPAMpwDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgmu4KxN60

And a song about, uh, motorcycles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG-UHgfTrU4

I'm saying rock is fine, find better bands, and if you want to save rock, don't bring back Nickleback wannabe poo poo!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just watched The Dirt docudrama on Netflix. The story of Motley Crue.

It was fun.

edit: boobs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it felt appropriately stupid, though it really glossed over what total pieces of poo poo they were, which even the book went into some detail

also doc mcghee didn't look anything like gale from breaking bad. he looked like sam kinison with short hair

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What the poo poo, when did Bogner started price-gouging this loving badly? I remember when my Bogner Uberschall's previous owner mentioned that he paid like 2 grand for it new.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
probably when they started getting popular on tgp and elsewhere

that's basically the reason splawns are still relatively cheap since they never really took off the same way

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I see. Well, that's the way the market goes.

I'm honestly pretty happy with my gear as it is.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hahaha it’s loving dollar bills. Incredible. Please buy it.
As dumb as it looks, seeing the specs, now I'm kinda considering it.
  • Warmoth Alder Body.
  • Carvin Neck
  • Hipshot locking tuners
  • Motor City Pickups.
It's me. I'm the stupid music poo poo. :negative:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Malaria posted:

Any of you guys ever bought a warmoth neck?
Are they setup nice out of the box? Like are there jagged fret ends and whatnot? Am I going to have to level and dress all the frets or are they good to go usually?

I have an old rear end strat body, and enough random spare parts to make a cool guitar if I had a neck.

https://stratosphereparts.com/necks/

This place pulls apart perfectly good guitars and sells the parts. Buy a squier classic vibe neck or similar and it should be good to go.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Bill Posters posted:

https://stratosphereparts.com/necks/

This place pulls apart perfectly good guitars and sells the parts. Buy a squier classic vibe neck or similar and it should be good to go.

The stupidest music poo poo here is that "category" is as granular as the search filter gets. Want to find something specific? gently caress you, enjoy scrolling through dozens of pages of stuff you don't care about first. That'll teach you to shop at our site.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Stratosphere is a bit overpriced in my opinion. Like yeah you have to get fretwork done on a Warmoth (or do it yourself), but it's not that much more for a Warmoth than for a high end Mexican/low end USA from the Stratosphere and you get to build it to your taste.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
drat, for as expensive as some of those Warmoth necks can get, I'm surprised they still require fretwork.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

If you have incredibly specific needs and/or an aversion to Squier badges then yeah sure, go Warmoth. Otherwise grab a high end Squier neck for less than half the price.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or, y'know, just buy a Squier. A friend that I recently recorded got himself one of the new H-S-S configured "Blackie" strats from Squier and it straight up sounded killer. How much he paid for the thing? 3 of them Benjamins.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

drat, for as expensive as some of those Warmoth necks can get, I'm surprised they still require fretwork.

it's a thing with those aftermarket places

my allparts neck which came from the old fender japan factory all they did was nip the fret edges. i guess they assume if you're the kind of person buying a custom neck you also have preferences on how you like your fretwork

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah, I got a gloss Allparts neck for a parts bass and the finish was sprayed right over the frets without any clean up. I thought something was seriously wrong when the frets started cracking and crumbling under the strings but it was just the lacquer coming off.

Beyond that though the frets were pretty good from the get go. Or at least, not bad enough for me to notice.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Blues Fuel

https://shop.jbonamassa.com/collections/lighters-ash-trays/products/blues-fuel-zippo-lighter-blue

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Thought they said it came in "Feminist Purple"

"That can't be right" I thought.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

Or, y'know, just buy a Squier. A friend that I recently recorded got himself one of the new H-S-S configured "Blackie" strats from Squier and it straight up sounded killer. How much he paid for the thing? 3 of them Benjamins.

I've been using the same squier jazz5 on everything I've ever recorded and it's impossible to tell that I spent 300 on it. I love that bass.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Well that sucks about warmoth. Thanks for the info.

I just wanted an all rosewood neck :( Not worth the cash if they can't even do basic fretwork for that price.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if you order one unfinished and factor in the cost of a level/dress and a can of tung oil and a bag of steel wool it's on par with or even slightly cheaper than getting a parted out neck, which might still need the same work done

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Yeah even the pickups are decent quality now. I'm not sure why exactly but for some reason they just got started putting out playable instruments with pickups that aren't just wire around a fridge magnet or something*

*yes I know people loving love the old gold foil teisco pickups that were basically this

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think seeing Gibson spiral towards bankruptcy while neglecting their budget lines has been good for Fender's offerings

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

I think seeing Gibson spiral towards bankruptcy while neglecting their budget lines has been good for Fender's offerings

Honestly the last time I was loving around in a guitar shop, I hated the sharp fret ends on the Squires I tried, didn't like the feel of the Jackson Dinky, or the GIOs I tried, and fell immediately in love with the Epiphone SG VE I played. Perfect neck, nice enough pickups, needed a truss rod adjust badly, only $50 more than a Squire Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Malaria posted:

Well that sucks about warmoth. Thanks for the info.

I just wanted an all rosewood neck :( Not worth the cash if they can't even do basic fretwork for that price.

It's not just them cheaping out, until you hit around the $1k range, most (but not all) brands of guitar either have no fretwork or fretwork so bad that you're going to need to redo it anyway. At least Warmoth does the fret edges, from what I've seen from Fender in the past few years they don't even bother to file those down.

I don't think anyone who makes necks does fretwork on them. I mean there's kind of a reason for that, you have to have some idea of how much relief you want in the neck/how high or low you want the action, and so on, to really dial it in precisely. Also, depending on humidity, a neck can shift based on climate and what was level at the factory no longer is. (I won't buy an Indonesian guitar online cuz, even if they do a perfect job at the factory, I've seen a bunch of Indonesian guitars that obviously had the frets leveled and crowned but are not remotely level.)

I promise I'm not paid anything by Warmoth, it's just one of the only instrument companies where I really do feel you like aren't getting ripped off for what you get. Maybe I don't mind because I can do my own fretwork, but I sorta think every guitarist should be able to do that. The tools you need for it are cheaper than I've ever seen a fret level cost anywhere, and it's honestly trivially easy. And if you're not working on stainless steel it barely takes an hour unless something is really screwed up. Wasn't particularly fun to do a scalloped neck with stainless frets though...