Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

That's fine by me. FYI, I am virtually always busy Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Monday evenings are my most reliable free evenings, though Wednesday's may be a possibility since I usually play BloodBowl after work and that only goes to 8 at the absolute latest. Depends where everyone who wants to watch lives as well, I am GMT -5.
Wednesday is the day I am most singularly likely to have nothing going on and be sitting by myself on the couch in Captain Rat's living room, so I could get behind something like a semi-monthly viewing night (if we wanted to get through a lot of things by Gen-Con; monthly would probably make it seem more important, because obviously that is our intent)

I also may well be free Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights after like 9 P.M. Central (GMT-6) too

SolusLunes posted:

Aren't there some up north though?

I vaguely remember going to a Piggly Wiggly in Mio a decade ago or something.

In other news, I'm excited for my first gencon, I'm sure I won't end up being a mark who spends too much money on IWM minis or something like that.
Where is Mio and hello SolusLunes!!! Welcome!!! I love you forever!!! Whether you used "mark" in the wrestling or general carny sense, I totally dig it.

I honestly think a graph of how much money I spent at Gen-Con would show a continual decrease over time, or at the very least my expenditure as a percentage of how much money I had available to spend would continually go down, so yeah...you will probably go berserk and spend too much money on miniatures. But that just means you GET IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Wednesday is the day I am most singularly likely to have nothing going on and be sitting by myself on the couch in Captain Rat's living room, so I could get behind something like a semi-monthly viewing night (if we wanted to get through a lot of things by Gen-Con; monthly would probably make it seem more important, because obviously that is our intent)

I also may well be free Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights after like 9 P.M. Central (GMT-6) too

Should we make a doodle or something? Right now it sounds like this is just going to be a Quarex and Nesbit party.

Also, I am going to have surgery in mid-April that will keep me home for 2 weeks for recovery. Could just watch these horrible pieces of cinema on repeat then.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I will be there!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello, from BEAUTIFUL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gary con 2019 in one image

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

nesbit37 posted:

This is your brain on Jepsen?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
So what are people looking to run/play at Gen Con?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'd love to get another crack at playing Legacy: Life Among the Ruins. I had tickets to a game last year, but something came up and I missed it.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Haystack posted:

I'd love to get another crack at playing Legacy: Life Among the Ruins. I had tickets to a game last year, but something came up and I missed it.

You missed a fun time, it was just 3 of us but the game was great.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm mostly doing Bee Lives stuff, though hopefully I wont be as worn out every evening after the hall closes like I was last year. Need to get some gaming in after dinner this year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

The best part about visiting the Gygax Family is the food! Now, since it was all expensive, and I wasn't hungry but starving, I must've eaten me about fifteen bratwurst.

As much as I love attending conventions, I was reminded why Gen-Con is my Precious And Eternal Love: you actually have to sign up for events at most conventions in order to have fun, and my utter failure to do so for Gary Con leading to me being ready to leave after about two hours helped remind me of this.

Eastmabl posted:

So what are people looking to run/play at Gen Con?
Run: From Groupies

Play: Hard, Work Hard

Thanks for reminding me that I need to resurrect my neglected-since-before-that-whole-having-a-baby-thing wishlist to both remind me what to buy and what I actually want to try to play. I know there was some cool new game (cool and new in ... 2015) that I wanted to check out, but shucky-heck-doodle if I can remember what it is now.

Oh, found it; "Asylum." Wow, a 1997 game? I wrote down that I wanted to play this? In 2015? And thought it was a cool new game? Why am I even allowed to attend this convention

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

To auction things

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm gonna run a kinda Honey I Shrunk The Kids game (in Dungeon world, well, the Dungeon World-based card hack I'm making) and then a Gumball 3000 style Running Man inspired game for Goons probably on Saturday. Otherwise I'll probably hit up GM on Demand and try to play some game with drunk goons for 4 and a half hours before going to bed. GenCon babbey

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ego Trip posted:

To auction things
"A heavily worn copy of Star Trek IV on Laserdisc, missing Kirk and four whales

Start me at ... 37¢"

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
My usual is to do a classic D&D adventure, a hobby event or two, some Dark Age stuff (which sadly appears to be a dead game, at least for the time being), and as much Super Robo Rally as I can get. Maybe I’ll do a bit of Arena Rex this year too!

Also, you know, shop for things I don’t need.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

"A heavily worn copy of Star Trek IV on Laserdisc, missing Kirk and four whales

Start me at ... 37¢"

two stubborn collectors take it up to $500, the auction is flooded with old laserdiscs next year

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember being sad in 2016 that I could not use the GEN CON REAL LIFE CHARACTER SHEET OMG that someone made, but upon re-finding it I thought even my own minimal photo manipulation skills were definitely up to the challenge to magically convert it to use in 2019, so if I am going to go to the enormous trouble of making a layer and magic wanding and copying the background graph and rotating the "6" 180 degrees I might as well re-host it

(I have no idea who would actually use the second page [well, who-who-has-a-smart-phone anyway] but the first page is still totes adorbz omg lol)

Fellis posted:

two stubborn collectors take it up to $500, the auction is flooded with old laserdiscs next year
hahahaha well hey, we do need to continue encouraging people to bring their insane crap in; T.O.V.A. lives and dies largely on how many things we get that are either unironically exciting or bizarre.

I do enjoy whenever you see something come up in the Auction that clearly indicates someone made some poor assumptions from a previous year and/or just is not too sure what other people are willing to spend on something. Particularly if I am the one who has to sell it. Which leads to me getting in trouble with the coordinators when I cannot keep a straight face while trying to sell something like "the tenth straight set of loose Heroscape hex terrain that only one person is bidding on yet I am supposed to hype up somehow."

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Is there a room share thread or anything like that? Because I feel a bit behind the 8 ball on this as I don't have a room as I wasn't planning on attending Gen Con seriously until Crit Role announced their live game there. I got my ticket to that now, and was hoping to sleep on someone's floor and enjoy the entire weekend, instead of trying to get a flight in, and then flight out after the game some time.

Thanks to Quarex for the OP as it was actually super interesting to read, as this would be my first Gen Con as well. ( Slash first time in Indianapolis :v: )

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is there a room share thread or anything like that? Because I feel a bit behind the 8 ball on this as I don't have a room as I wasn't planning on attending Gen Con seriously until Crit Role announced their live game there. I got my ticket to that now, and was hoping to sleep on someone's floor and enjoy the entire weekend, instead of trying to get a flight in, and then flight out after the game some time.

Thanks to Quarex for the OP as it was actually super interesting to read, as this would be my first Gen Con as well. ( Slash first time in Indianapolis :v: )

Asking in the groupme might yield results

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Asking in the groupme might yield results

I actually tried to post on there, but my post didn't seem to go through. I'll try again, just didn't want to end up spamming the channel. :x:

Ninja E: Tried again to post with 'Will this actually send this time?" and again, nothing. Not sure if my account is 'awaiting moderation' or something like that.

E: Posting from my phone works, the web app does not... odd.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 19, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I bring terrible news of Johnny Rockets' closure at the Circle Center Mall

I swear restaurants close more often in Indianapolis than anywhere else I have frequently visited.

I would type here "if [RESTAURANT] closes I riot" but honestly I am not sure that I even have any places I am remotely loyal to left. Sure I love Steak 'n' Shake, but I live in the Midwest again and can get that anywhere

Maybe I will riot if Bee Coffee Roasters or Harry 'n' Izzy's closes. Yes, that sounds right, gonna run with this

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I swear restaurants close more often in Indianapolis than anywhere else I have frequently visited.

I would type here "if [RESTAURANT] closes I riot" but honestly I am not sure that I even have any places I am remotely loyal to left. Sure I love Steak 'n' Shake, but I live in the Midwest again and can get that anywhere

Maybe I will riot if Bee Coffee Roasters or Harry 'n' Izzy's closes. Yes, that sounds right, gonna run with this

Nothing can get as bad as that Indian place closing. First year at Gencon and I got to eat there, then never again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Bee Coffee Roasters and The Ram are my mainstays there. God help us if the steak and shake goes, awakening the smelly beast and its wrath their bathrooms have kept sated all these years.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nothing can get as bad as that Indian place closing. First year at Gencon and I got to eat there, then never again.

Ditto :(:hf::(

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Sugarfire BBQ opened last year and it's real good. Once Scotty's discontinued their beer towers I lost all lust for life.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That place was very good!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Looking more and more like I can't make it this year. Sad. :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Haveli will be missed. Particularly since I never even got to try their lunch buffet... And I love Indian buffets :( :( :(

WerrWaaa posted:

Sugarfire BBQ opened last year and it's real good. Once Scotty's discontinued their beer towers I lost all lust for life.
That was the only place I kept meaning to check out and never did. Well. That and the Rathskeller :( :( :(

Pez posted:

Looking more and more like I can't make it this year. Sad. :(
PEZ NO

HOW CAN WE HELP

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

Dr. Quarex posted:

That entire mall has gone to poo poo in the past 5-10 years, due to the fact that it's, well, a mall in the 2010's.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That mall is trashtastic. I remember when it was new and shiny and awesome :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks JetSet, somehow I had genuinely not thought about how obvious it should be that any mall would be suffering these days. I just magically assume everything in Indianapolis will be amazing because I am really dumb

This also sort of goes along nicely with how it seems like more restaurants close there than makes sense. A lot of the restaurants I liked were in the mall, so... Yes.

Nothing will outdo Cup of Corn's tragic closing, though.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Haveli will be missed. Particularly since I never even got to try their lunch buffet... And I love Indian buffets :( :( :(

That was the only place I kept meaning to check out and never did. Well. That and the Rathskeller :( :( :(

PEZ NO

HOW CAN WE HELP

Convince my wife that I can indeed afford it :( I HAVE NEW BUSINESS CARDS AND EVERYTHING :cry:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I may be flattened by kidney disease, but I'll make room for Kuma's Corner, which is by my Airbnb.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pez posted:

Convince my wife that I can indeed afford it :( I HAVE NEW BUSINESS CARDS AND EVERYTHING :cry:
O.K. calling her now

Pez she sounds mad that you gave your number to a cyberhuckster

Pez I made it worse

theironjef posted:

I may be flattened by kidney disease, but I'll make room for Kuma's Corner, which is by my Airbnb.
Oh no. I am sorry TheIronJef. Kuma's Corner IS good enough to drag yourself there even if in bad shape, admittedly.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

djfooboo posted:

That mall is trashtastic. I remember when it was new and shiny and awesome :(

I remember eating in the mall once.
The GroupMe got goatsed.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The pizza place in the mall is OK if you don't feel like walking three blocks to hot box and Pizza Di Tito in the Hyatt isn't open.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Ego Trip posted:

I remember eating in the mall once.
The GroupMe got goatsed.

This is the hole I've fallen into.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evpj8a/owner-of-goatse-coin-website-wants-it-to-be-a-household-name-meme

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh no, urge to pedantically argue about pronunciation of Goatse, I thought you were gone forever

But wait, I can still make you go away by thinking about the AAAAAATTENTION GEN-CON ATTENDEES announcer instead, there we go.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh no, urge to pedantically argue about pronunciation of Goatse, I thought you were gone forever

But wait, I can still make you go away by thinking about the AAAAAATTENTION GEN-CON ATTENDEES announcer instead, there we go.

AAAAAATTENTION GEN-CON ATTENDEES those loving MTG booths have decided the lanes between booths are actually part of their booths so feel free to bring portable fans to blow around loose cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My "only getting the chance to walk the hall in 2018 once and only quickly" is showing, what are those goblins doing now?