Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Wait, Newspaper Spider-Man is over?

No, but it's on a new content hiatus for now. The last new one was the 23rd.

Everyone is talking about it ending because that's all they heard. Everyone involved basically heard the news about rebooting from press releases, they weren't told.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

FF through secret wars is a no brainer, and his ultimates work is probably the best arc that universe had seen in years, but tbh i found shield to be borderline incomprehensible

:same:

I read that story like two more times after I kept seeing it get praised and both times I walked away thinking "what the gently caress?" It feels like Hickman wanted to write some crazy story about historical figures with powers and steampunk poo poo but then for some reason also wanted to make it some weirdass backstory for SHIELD (which imo is a story that really doesn't need to be explored but whatever)?

I don't know, maybe I'm the idiot.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 27, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Aphrodite posted:

No, but it's on a new content hiatus for now. The last new one was the 23rd.

Everyone is talking about it ending because that's all they heard. Everyone involved basically heard the news about rebooting from press releases, they weren't told.

Wait, between that Sakai tweet and the hiatus, does that mean that Stan really was still writing Newspaper Spidey? From the threads here, I'd been under the impression that his name was just being attached to some ghostwriter's script.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They should have Olivia James take over Newspaper Spider-Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Argue posted:

Wait, between that Sakai tweet and the hiatus, does that mean that Stan really was still writing Newspaper Spidey? From the threads here, I'd been under the impression that his name was just being attached to some ghostwriter's script.

Roy Thomas was the ghost writer for a while now. I don't know if it was 100% of the time or what though.

The cancellation/reboot seems unrelated to Stan's death directly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's something approaching a 0% chance they would have cancelled it if Stan hadn't died.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
According to this recent interview with Roy Thomas:

quote:

And working under Lee's watchful eye proved pretty easy for Thomas. "We got along fine," he says. "He liked what I did, accepted most (not all) of my ideas for stories... and until a few years ago often 'suggested' (or insisted upon) alterations in them. For some years he would rewrite a panel or balloon here and there, or [do] even more... while other dailies or Sundays would sail through without a single word change."

So it sounds like Lee was basically... the editor/producer of the strip for the past couple of decades, not doing any of the heavy lifting/day-to-day writing but signing off on/tweaking the strips. Thomas makes it sound like he was in regular touch with Lee, so it makes sense that Sakai would be as well.

Though Thomas also said this:

quote:

When Thomas got news of the strip's upcoming demise, he had been plotting out a trip to Australia for Parker and MJ, where they were to encounter the villain Kangaroo and have various exploits and adventures. "Marvel decided to kill the strip," says Thomas, "and not print the final couple of weeks. And [artist] Alex Saviuk graciously reworked the final strip to show the two of us in it, and to add a 'Nuff Said!' headline on the Daily Bugle."
So who knows what's going on with the actual ending/hiatus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems like everyone involved with it talked about cancellation because that's what they were told, then a bit later it was announced it's a hiatus and that was the first any of them heard about it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

TwoPair posted:

:same:

I read that story like two more times after I kept seeing it get praised and both times I walked away thinking "what the gently caress?" It feels like Hickman wanted to write some crazy story about historical figures with powers and steampunk poo poo but then for some reason also wanted to make it some weirdass backstory for SHIELD (which imo is a story that really doesn't need to be explored but whatever)?

I don't know, maybe I'm the idiot.

I thought the first 6(?) issues of SHIELD (right up until Michelangelo) were phenomenal, and honestly pretty easy to digest. But after a few issues into the second volume it just went off the rails. It was still loving gorgeous to look at, which is why I kept with it. But those last two issues they finally put out last year to wrap it up were completely underwhelming.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Let’s move on to a truly significant topic that frankly we’ve put off for too long

Just what IS Batman’s shameful secret?

He never learned how to sit so he can never do it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

He never learned how to sit so he can never do it.

Only when he became an actual God was he able to sit down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Spider-Man, Hunted's rolling along nicely although I'm feeling a bit :tinfoil: at trying to discern the Centi-demon's identity from the colour of text boxes.

Also, curse Taskmaster's sudden yet inevitable betrayal!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I really dug the throwback vibe of Kamala retelling her origin to Nakia in Marvelous Ms. Marvel. It felt like something I would've read in a comic when I was a kid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cant wait for the gratuitous psylocke/blob sex scene in next months x-tremists

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Secret Warriors never felt really rushed to me. And SHIELD is two six issue minis with a one shot in between.

Secret Warriors doesn't feel rushed until the last arc which ties into SHIELD and that felt super-rushed, like he was told to wrap it up and just bypassed what would be full arcs with a single panel. I thought this when I read it in singles and I super thought this when I reread it as an omnibus. The pacing at the end just floors it.

Still excellent.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Secret Wars itself always felt kinda rushed for me, particularly the back end. Stuff just starts kicking off after a ton of world-building with hardly any explanation or room to breath.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So disney store is having a sale, and i got this cool villain bag.

But I don't recognise all the icons. Can someone help me out here?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im the nefarious butt

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

coolusername posted:

So disney store is having a sale, and i got this cool villain bag.

But I don't recognise all the icons. Can someone help me out here?

I see Hydra, MODOK, and as said above Nefarious Butt.

The other two. Maybe Dr. Doom for one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Nefarious Butt icon also had me confused.
I think it's supposed to be an M as in Magneto and done in a manner that resembles his helmet. (Which you can see in the top half of the image where some of them are M's.)
But the ones that are upside down totally look like bums.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I assume Nefarious Butt is Thanos.

Thanus, if you will.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The white one that looks like a radiation symbol is Doc Ock.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

head58 posted:

The white one that looks like a radiation symbol is Doc Ock.

I would assume that's AIM

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Yeah, pretty solid on AIM, Hydra, I think also the green goblin? But the unthicc M is throwing me.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Magneto's helmet maybe?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i liked the cap story in marvel comics presents, kinda want to post it but it might be just over the page limit on posting pages, anyways its by the guy who cowrote john lewis' march and is about cap completely failing in the face of racism in 60s mississippi

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I jumped off the current comics train back after Infinity (I think, after checking wikipedia's "Marvel crossover event publication history"). I enjoyed it, I just got distracted and stopped reading for a while. How comprehensive is Marvel Unlimited for that newer stuff? I feel like "pay $10 a month and get caught up on the last several years of comics" is sort of the dream.

In hindsight, I can't believe I was reading and enjoying Hickman's run only to leave before Secret Wars

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Boxman posted:

I jumped off the current comics train back after Infinity (I think, after checking wikipedia's "Marvel crossover event publication history"). I enjoyed it, I just got distracted and stopped reading for a while. How comprehensive is Marvel Unlimited for that newer stuff? I feel like "pay $10 a month and get caught up on the last several years of comics" is sort of the dream.

In hindsight, I can't believe I was reading and enjoying Hickman's run only to leave before Secret Wars

I think they literally add every new comic on 6 months after its initial publication. The gaps tend to be in the older books.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Boxman posted:

How comprehensive is Marvel Unlimited for that newer stuff? I feel like "pay $10 a month and get caught up on the last several years of comics" is sort of the dream.

Unlimited is exactly what you want.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I started to reread Ms Marvel in trade form. I forgot how much I liked Adrian Alphona's art. However I can't seem to find any web presence for the guy for some reason. Is he doing any series now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nothing on Comixology since Ms Marvel.
https://www.comixology.com/Adrian-Alphona/comics-creator/431?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, gently caress Slott. That ending in fantastic four was like a grade school joke but taken super serious.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress Slott. That ending in fantastic four was like a grade school joke but taken super serious.

What is it, for those of us not reading?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Doom has the FF trapped individually and is bragging about it on live television. Reed has Sue make Doom's outfit transparent so the whole world can see Victor Von Dong.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Heathen posted:

Doom has the FF trapped individually and is bragging about it on live television. Reed has Sue make Doom's outfit transparent so the whole world can see Victor Von Dong.

This sounds really good actually

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My mind's telling me no, but my inner 13 year old, my inner 13 year old's telling me yes.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I don't know I feel like Doom would own the gently caress out of that moment.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's some bullshit. I love his style and that he's always trying to hide small details in the background.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Heathen posted:

Pretty sure the point is to reveal what's under his mask but okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Little Mac posted:

Pretty sure the point is to reveal what's under his mask but okay.

Yeah, that would be a blow to Doom.