Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All we do in this thread is dog on Texas Dems for their dumbass political instincts, dunno why anyone would assume this is different

If allowing that particular restaurant to open was materially detrimental to marginalized communities in SA, they could have easily refused the license based on the loss of revenue for being closed on Sunday, which is in fact why Nierenberg said he supported Trevino's motion. Probably because he realizes that it's a losing fight at beat. But it's about causing the uproar. The coucilman who is challenging the Democratic mayor is already up on the cross about it, culture war issues drive conservatives to the poll like crazy, so it only helps him. So, what's better for the city of San Antonio, having a Chickfila in the airport and a Democratic mayor, or having a Chickfila-free airport and a Republican mayor

https://mobile.twitter.com/Greg4Mayor/status/1109908150348447744

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea we need to do as little as possible to make sure the republicans can't get on their big moral cross, surely we'll find the right amount of nothing to do to make that happen soon.

Chick-fil-A sucks and should be treated as a hate group with how much it gives to anti-LGBTQ violence, the entire point is challenging the idea that 'deeply held beliefs' is allowed to excuse bigotry

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Guys, the Chick-fil-A moderate vote

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Dam if I don’t love that spicy chicken sandwich though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sexpig by night posted:

yea we need to do as little as possible to make sure the republicans can't get on their big moral cross, surely we'll find the right amount of nothing to do to make that happen soon.

Chick-fil-A sucks and should be treated as a hate group with how much it gives to anti-LGBTQ violence, the entire point is challenging the idea that 'deeply held beliefs' is allowed to excuse bigotry

there may have been a more recent expose I missed, but didnt chik fil a alter the behavior / donation habits of their associated foundation after The Kerfuffle to be basically non horrible?

corn in the bible posted:

chik-fil-a still donates to anti-gay groups, hope this helps

yeah same question

fake edit oh so apparently the scoop was literally this week

so we got the salvation army (so yeah fair enough), a tiny donation to a youth home that is Very Bad on LGBT, and a big donation to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes

mnn

I am undecided.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why is it OK for the state to persecute Planned Parenthood into the dirt but Chik-Fil-A is off limits?

A corporation is a thing. A thing can't have beliefs, much less "sincere religious beliefs."

And even if it could, why is a religious belief given protection over and above a scientific belief, a policy belief...and every other form of belief that exists?

Who gets to decide when a belief is "sincere" or "legitimate"?

Whole loving thing is moronic and yet terrifying.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Selective bias

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just saw an ad for this. marketing idiocy or genius?

https://texas.brookfieldresidential.com/community/Caliterra/

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Number_6 posted:

Why is it OK for the state to persecute Planned Parenthood into the dirt but Chik-Fil-A is off limits?

A corporation is a thing. A thing can't have beliefs, much less "sincere religious beliefs."

And even if it could, why is a religious belief given protection over and above a scientific belief, a policy belief...and every other form of belief that exists?

Who gets to decide when a belief is "sincere" or "legitimate"?

Whole loving thing is moronic and yet terrifying.

That's easy. The people in power get to decide, and in this case they're deciding based on whether they hold the same beliefs themselves, which is how they can defend Chick-Fil-A and poo poo on the entire Muslim community at the same time without a second thought.

Those currently in power cannot be reasoned with, and no amount of conversation or niceties or politeness will make the first bit of difference. They all simply need to be replaced.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They should have just followed Austin's strategy of only having "local" businesses in the airport. You see that more and more at airports these days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1112021276774854656

They were closing streets downtown for this in Austin last night. Also, Texas relays is this weekend, and the swimming and diving NCAA championships.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 30, 2019

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Betos rally got my parking garage downtown closed so now I'm voting for Castro

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Somebody had to rile up an enormously bold GOP and get a dig in on the loving sandwich place. Geniuses here in SA.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
yes, the notoriously difficult to rile up GOP

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Better not rile em up, not like they won’t rile up the base with some equally stupid bullshit without the dems help.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah. Lucky for everyone else that they're not known for coming up with imaginary poo poo to be mad about.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Did anyone go to the Beto rally

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

They should have just followed Austin's strategy of only having "local" businesses in the airport. You see that more and more at airports these days.
they should do this in Dallas but it'd just be El Fenix and Dallas Cowboys Pro-Shops stretching down the terminal as far as the eye can see

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Well?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
we need the moderate furry vote

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1112410493308887041

quote:

“Today, I just came in here for my grandson,” said Dan Bradshaw of Houston on a recent Saturday, wearing a green T-shirt that reads, “GRANDPA. THE MAN. THE MYTH. THE LEGEND.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who dares claim to outsprawl Texas

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
have u seen la and bay area?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Have you seen Houston?

e: and the Bay is like the opposite of sprawl

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Of course not. How dare you.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1112430142817742848

Ugghhhhh go away

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 31, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Panty Saluter posted:

Have you seen Houston?

e: and the Bay is like the opposite of sprawl

Well, it has the character, if not the reality of sprawl

(long commutes from a disinclination for high density homes)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I went to Bucc-ees for the first time last week and that place is insane

Makes Wawa look like 7-11

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I went to Bucc-ees for the first time last week and that place is insane

Makes Wawa look like 7-11

The roominess and cleanliness of their bathrooms is life-changing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also

The fact that Buc-ees and Costco are massively successful franchises that pay living wages kind of belies the whole argument against it

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

more like van de poot. heh heh

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Buc-ee's hot food is legit as well, better than a lot of fast food if a little pricey.

When one opened in my hometown, there was a lot of grousing about it would drive out locally owned gas stations. But it blows lovely dingy mom-and-pop stations out of the water, so :capitalism:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I was under the impression the Bay Area was the exact opposite where the crush of people is so severe into the city itself it was on the verge of collapsing into a singularity of rich.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

zoux posted:

Also

The fact that Buc-ees and Costco are massively successful franchises that pay living wages kind of belies the whole argument against it

It really depresses me how much better Buc-ee's vacation time is than at my job.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we need the moderate furry vote

furries are comrades and antifa, like juggalos

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

I was under the impression the Bay Area was the exact opposite where the crush of people is so severe into the city itself it was on the verge of collapsing into a singularity of rich.

The Bay Area is pretty sprawly because rich people don’t want apartment buildings to ruin their views

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

1stGear posted:

Buc-ee's hot food is legit as well, better than a lot of fast food if a little pricey.

When one opened in my hometown, there was a lot of grousing about it would drive out locally owned gas stations. But it blows lovely dingy mom-and-pop stations out of the water, so :capitalism:

We drive to Baton Rouge and back several times a year and since Buc-ee’s opened all gas stations on I-10 between SA and Baytown have had to step their game up. A couple new really nice travel centers opened as well.

Now if they’d just put 1 outside Lake Charles and another outside Baton Rouge I wouldn’t have to stop anywhere else.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
my sister in law bought me some flavored bucees popcorn for christmas. it was awful because all flavored popcorn is awful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1112737165023367172

The Public Owning of Julian Castro continues unabated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Who?