Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Jack Trades posted:

Epic does what Gaben't.

That's not true, Steam has had plenty of consumer gently caress ups.

Epic is still anti-consumer arsewipes for doing all this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

RagnarokZ posted:

That's not true, Steam has had plenty of consumer gently caress ups.

Epic is still anti-consumer arsewipes for doing all this nonsense.

XCOM 2 is free this weekend on steam, but everyone in this thread owns it already. I agree Steam isn't flawless and gently caress Epic!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Oh man in here too haah

though the gamer persecution complex is a lot more tastefully done in this thread than the outer worlds thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zigmidge posted:

Oh man in here too haah

though the gamer persecution complex is a lot more tastefully done in this thread than the outer worlds thread

go on

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yes please regale us with these stories

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Oh man in here too haah

Is this what they call a "hit and run post"?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
he'll be back once his exclusivity contract with the OW thread is complete

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

It would be really cool though if there was a single thread called "gently caress the epic store" and everybody could post in that, then maybe we could post about the game in here again :(

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm still looking forward to playing this somehow, it looks cool and all, but I also just uninstalled EGS because of this thread. Oh well, guess I'll just see how things pan out, not like the game's out tomorrow anyway.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

friendly 2 da void posted:

It would be really cool though if there was a single thread called "gently caress the epic store" and everybody could post in that, then maybe we could post about the game in here again :(

I mean sure but otoh the thread was pretty quiet except for a couple posts when a backer build would come out. No harm people griping about the EGS stuff now imo when it's just happened and not much else to talk about RE PP

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone in this thread buy the game through fig and get a refund? If it's not a ton of trouble I'll just do that. How do I do that?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

redreader posted:

Did anyone in this thread buy the game through fig and get a refund? If it's not a ton of trouble I'll just do that. How do I do that?

It's possible to e-mail fig and ask for refund since they're pretty mad as Snapshot for pulling this bullshit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0w4k8/psa_you_can_refund_your_pledge_directly_through/

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Rutkowski posted:

It's possible to e-mail fig and ask for refund since they're pretty mad as Snapshot for pulling this bullshit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0w4k8/psa_you_can_refund_your_pledge_directly_through/

This is what I did and they refunded it after two emails. They first tried to send me to the Snapshot method but I told them I wasn't comfortable using a third-party system and fig handled my payment first so I believed fig had to pay me back and I sent them some EU law stuff. They then proceeded to do so.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Commissar Kip posted:

This is what I did and they refunded it after two emails. They first tried to send me to the Snapshot method but I told them I wasn't comfortable using a third-party system and fig handled my payment first so I believed fig had to pay me back and I sent them some EU law stuff. They then proceeded to do so.
Yeah that's the reccomended route. While I feel kinda bad loving over Fig it's for the greater good. Snapshot Games is getting loving burned by fans and professionals alike for this poo poo behavior and hopefully it'll at least help a bit in deterring other crowdfunding devs from doing the same.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Backer build 4 keys are out, check your emails :woop:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

backer build 4 is out tomorrow. I wonder how much the epic backlash has to do with it coming out so soon.

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2019/3/26/backer-build-four

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Lmao at anyone who doesn’t have Zidmidge on mute

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Bogart posted:

Lmao at anyone who doesn’t have Zidmidge on mute

who?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you guys feel about this game in Early Access, is it worth 60$ yet?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

he'll be back once his exclusivity contract with the OW thread is complete

lmao

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Argh. I looked through my emails and found out that I got it through 'crowdox' after the fig campaign ended. Anyone got any info on getting a refund from crowdox?
edit: emailed crowdox. I'll see what happens.

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 29, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How do you guys feel about this game in Early Access, is it worth 60$ yet?

Not if you want a complete game experience. Like, the backer build is pretty much just some combat missions strung together with a super basic version of the world map. It doesn’t have any of the faction, research, or adaptation stuff in yet.

That said, the combat is already pretty fun so I can’t wait to see how everything turns out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone got their Backer Build 4 yet? It's supposed to be sent out ages ago but I haven't gotten it yet.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone got their Backer Build 4 yet? It's supposed to be sent out ages ago but I haven't gotten it yet.

I got a email containing a epic key a day before it went live so I think the builds are going to be epic exclusive too lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I got a email containing a epic key a day before it went live so I think the builds are going to be epic exclusive too lol

Yeah, I knew that but I haven't gotten the key yet either. :/

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Some of the line of sight stuff is annoyingly inconsistent. Like, sometimes parking my dude behind a tree or oil barrel for cover will result in 100% of his view being obsructed without being able to shoot, even though the game told me he would with the red preview lines.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DrManiac posted:

Some of the line of sight stuff is annoyingly inconsistent. Like, sometimes parking my dude behind a tree or oil barrel for cover will result in 100% of his view being obsructed without being able to shoot, even though the game told me he would with the red preview lines.

Alpha build.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Epic can smdftb. I was looking forward to this, but only on Steam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.resetera.com/threads/phoenix-point-fig-backers-have-accrued-191-return-to-date-can-we-calculate-the-epic-moneyhat.112525/

Snapshot were paid approximately 3 Million bux for their Epic exclusivity deal.
No wonder they didn't have any reservations about breaking their promises to the backers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/phoenix-point-fig-backers-have-accrued-191-return-to-date-can-we-calculate-the-epic-moneyhat.112525/

Snapshot were paid approximately 3 Million bux for their Epic exclusivity deal.
No wonder they didn't have any reservations about breaking their promises to the backers.

So it seems the Fig investors are getting a cut of the Epic money, and indeed have nearly doubled their money before the game's even come out. So that worked out for them.

Still sucks for backers who aren't investors who wanted the game on Steam, of course, but at least this moves the matter back to "annoying Steam gamers" rather than "defrauding Fig investors". So that's something, I guess.

For me, anyway, all the shenanigans have dampened my enthusiasm for the game, but we'll see how I feel come November when the game's actually available. :shrug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DrManiac posted:

That junk is surprisingly difficult to get right. XCOM 2 still suffers from LOS bugs all these years later and I’ve never been quite sure on why.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

That junk is surprisingly difficult to get right. XCOM 2 still suffers from LOS bugs all these years later and I’ve never been quite sure on why.

Tracing a line across discrete units like tiles is tricky to get working symmetrically because there's a lot of rounding that needs to be done. You can see the problem in action if you open up any random graphics program and use the line tool between two pixels, then use it again between the same two pixels in the opposite direction. Depending on the angle, it can potentially end up taking a different path in spots. In a game like XCOM/PP if one of those spots has an obstacle in it, then it might hit it going one way, but not the other.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

jng2058 posted:

So it seems the Fig investors are getting a cut of the Epic money, and indeed have nearly doubled their money before the game's even come out. So that worked out for them.

Still sucks for backers who aren't investors who wanted the game on Steam, of course, but at least this moves the matter back to "annoying Steam gamers" rather than "defrauding Fig investors". So that's something, I guess.

For me, anyway, all the shenanigans have dampened my enthusiasm for the game, but we'll see how I feel come November when the game's actually available. :shrug:

Likewise. I was gonna get the game without question, before, but now.... eh. Maybe if it's really, really good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Tracing a line across discrete units like tiles is tricky to get working symmetrically because there's a lot of rounding that needs to be done.

This was more understandable before computers were fast enough to a) use 32.32 fixed point for everything, and b) just solve it analytically for crying out loud.

I’m pretty sure it’s just sloppy modeling of bounding boxes and non-analytic verification (“I shot a lot of dudes on a randomly generated map and it worked. ship it”), and not actually a field of unresolved mathematical research or an information-theoretic limit. Maybe PP can use RTX stuff for it and do a better job.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We have a release date!

https://twitter.com/Phoenix_Point/status/1138204197453778946

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How much of the game is there?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

So it comes out on steam the same day FF7 remake releases. oof..

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You mean comes out on epic store.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

You mean comes out on epic store.

Well, about that...
https://www.pcgamesn.com/phoenix-point/xbox-game-pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Based on the backer's alpha I played a few months ago:

Core gameplay is almost all there but mostly implemented at a fairly rudimentary level. Geoscape to move around on and build new outpost on and factions to interact with. PoI to trigger small decisions with, are all in. Map generation with three tilesets. Basic base building interface. Soldier equipment, skills, and classes, etc. The combat system works although I don't think it's more engaging than the new XCOM (attacks has ballistic calculation and can target specific body parts), since it currently lacks a lot of polish (soldier clipping through wall or cover when stepping out, and shoot out your own cover).

Only thing that's completely missing is research.