Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Reading second 39 page funpack:

Doc one written by Hagan: they found out some place's for was off by 4 minutes

Doc two written by Hagan. Details how FBI Analyst LOPEZ got Jussies cOlour account

Doc 3 written by Voganthaller: looool get the gently caress outta here. 5 page document. Page 2 and 4 missing. Page 5 is blank. No information

Doc 4 written by Voganthaller: this is the one to read of you want any ducking content. It details the interview R/D had with the work out bros. Date of occurrence was 17feb. Lemme editorialize here: Cornball is shirty at writing reports. All his documents were submitted to his supervisor on 26march. At past least Hagen was last week at 20 march. I dunno how police reporting works, but at my rentacop gig we had to submit our reports like the next day by the latest.

Doc 5 written by Vogenthaller: more shot about the $3500 check. I'm checked out by now. Something something this was the day of the grand jury thingy.

Doc 6 written by Vogenthaller: details stuff between lawyers and Det Theis and some boring poo poo. Missy turns him self in 21feb.

Doc 6 written by Vogenthaller: He wrote he was there when Skillet turned himself in.

===================
I got that all basically as comprehended. Sounds like a big ok whiff of nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

So the other option was... what? Serious question.

1. Stay back and wait for him to wake up?
2. Stay back and put up a perimeter where they wait for him to wake up? Spending possibly hours waiting?
3. Go over the loudspeaker and wake him up and give the guy with a gun on his lap a chance to grab it and use it against the officers immediately, or grab it and get out of the car, and then possibly use it against the officers then?

What would you have done?

Also, I am pretty sure they didnt attempt to wake him up. The point officer's plan was to get into the car and snatch him.

Not to Monday morning quarterback, myself, but I think, if the guy didnt wake up, ideally, they'd have 1 or two guys with a gun on him from the front, a guy bashing the window with a baton, and maybe a guy with a taser there ready to tase him, and MAYBE they would've had a chance to get him before he woke up and reached for the gun. That's real iffy. There really was no good solution to the problem. At all.

Get most officers in a perimeter with decent fields of fire and cover then try and wake him up.

Put an unoccupied cruiser ahead of him(that was apparently already there in the diagram) due to the car being in drive, the subject can’t accidentally or on purpose move forward and nobody is right there to get lit up. Options to wake him up are things such as a loud speaker or tapping his car from behind with another cruiser. He can’t turn and shoot the car behind without the officers covering him being able to tag him. Keep the reds/blues on so he knows what’s up when he opens his eyes.

Crowding multiple dudes around and killing the sleeping guy if he moves while he wakes up is not a good course of action. There was no way he was going to live once they went with that plan. He was probably dead before he even processed what was happening. Probably just died scared, confused, and blinded by tactical flashlights, while trying to make sense of the yelling.

If they had given him the consideration and compassion they would give a rich white guy in a 2019 Benz in the same situation he would most likely be alive. Instead they decided he was just another shitbird and that if he got killed because they didn’t want to deal with it, that it was ok.

It’s not a good or easy situation, but they probably picked one of the worst options. If you have to wait a little bit so you don’t have to kill someone who doesn’t need to die then maybe that’s ok.

Deescalation means leaving avenues for a peaceful resolution. Expecting a sleeping or passed out person to not move while waking up and not react to people crowded around him with lights and guns is not leaving him an avenue.

Also lol “SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!!!” After literally shredding a dude. Are you loving kidding me? loving clowns.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

What would you have done?

"The officers then realized the firearm did not have a magazine in it, noting to each other that if it was loaded, it would have a single bullet in it: “He’s only got one shot if he shoots.”"

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

NJersey posted:

"The officers then realized the firearm did not have a magazine in it, noting to each other that if it was loaded, it would have a single bullet in it: “He’s only got one shot if he shoots.”"

They incorrectly stated that. Most cops don't know gently caress all about guns. The dude had an extented magazine in the gun, which goes beyond the end of the grip - the cop mistook that for the magazine being almost out of the gun, leaving only 1 roud in the chamber. In reality, the dude had 14+1 rounds in the gun.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 30, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Richard Bong posted:

Get most officers in a perimeter with decent fields of fire and cover then try and wake him up.

Put an unoccupied cruiser ahead of him(that was apparently already there in the diagram) due to the car being in drive, the subject can’t accidentally or on purpose move forward and nobody is right there to get lit up. Options to wake him up are things such as a loud speaker or tapping his car from behind with another cruiser. He can’t turn and shoot the car behind without the officers covering him being able to tag him. Keep the reds/blues on so he knows what’s up when he opens his eyes.

See, this is actually a good idea. It's too bad they didn't do this. Having two officers with guns on him from the left, while one tapped the window would have been good, BUT those officers would have had to have been really close to the door in order to see if he was reaching. It's another option that they had but they didn't have enough time to formulate that, because dude woke up while they were planning what to do.

quote:

Crowding multiple dudes around and killing the sleeping guy if he moves while he wakes up is not a good course of action. There was no way he was going to live once they went with that plan. He was probably dead before he even processed what was happening. Probably just died scared, confused, and blinded by tactical flashlights, while trying to make sense of the yelling.
He didn't get shot because he moved, he died because he moved his hands towards the gun. Like I said, whether that was intentional or not, he moved his hands towards his gun. It was his decision to be in possession of a stolen handgun. It was his decision to do whatever drugs he was on and go driving and be in possession of a gun clearly visible in his lap, unless it somehow comes out that it was ambien or some horrible complication or interaction between two medications. It wasn't the cop's fault that he did that.

quote:

If they had given him the consideration and compassion they would give a rich white guy in a 2019 Benz in the same situation he would most likely be alive. Instead they decided he was just another shitbird and that if he got killed because they didn’t want to deal with it, that it was ok.
I have sympathy for the guy's family, and it sucks that the guy died. And there is absolutely institutional racism in the justice system and police as a whole. But I have a hard time believing this would have ended up any differently if the guy was white, unless one of the cops somehow knew the guy.

It’s not a good or easy situation, but they probably picked one of the worst options. If you have to wait a little bit so you don’t have to kill someone who doesn’t need to die then maybe that’s ok.

quote:

Deescalation means leaving avenues for a peaceful resolution. Expecting a sleeping or passed out person to not move while waking up and not react to people crowded around him with lights and guns is not leaving him an avenue.
He didnt leave them with much of a choice.

quote:

Also lol “SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!!!” After literally shredding a dude. Are you loving kidding me? loving clowns.
Yeah, because people are NEVER a threat when they're just wounded. :rolleyes: In order for the cops to move in to start giving medical aid, they want to be safe. And they're going to want to see the guy's hands, if he's able. A lot of the time, the suspect is not able to, so the cops slowly move in, delaying medical treatment. It sucks, but why rush in to provide medical aid to a guy who could still be a threat? Why rush in immediately with a first aid kit when the dude could just shoot you as soon as you move to render aid? It's safe to be more methodical about it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

In order for the cops to move in to start giving medical aid, they want to be safe.

Until zombies are a thing, killing someone before you render aid is very safe, indeed.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Until zombies are a thing, killing someone before you render aid is very safe, indeed.

It's unclear in the video whether he died instantly. In a lot of officer involved shootings, they render aid after shooting the suspect, but only after they confirm that the gun is no longer in the guy's hands. Unless the rounds hit the head or the heart or spine and immediately kill the person, there's a chance that the wound/s a suspect gets are surviviable. Even arterial bleeds can be controlled with a TQ if its applied within a minute. Sometimes the wounds aren't survivable. Sometimes they are. But waiting to render aid until the suspect no longer has a weapon in his hands is standard procedure in many if not most departments.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
You shpuld have taken my post seriously but not literally.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

See, this is actually a good idea. It's too bad they didn't do this. Having two officers with guns on him from the left, while one tapped the window would have been good, BUT those officers would have had to have been really close to the door in order to see if he was reaching. It's another option that they had but they didn't have enough time to formulate that, because dude woke up while they were planning what to do.

He didn't get shot because he moved, he died because he moved his hands towards the gun. Like I said, whether that was intentional or not, he moved his hands towards his gun. It was his decision to be in possession of a stolen handgun. It was his decision to do whatever drugs he was on and go driving and be in possession of a gun clearly visible in his lap, unless it somehow comes out that it was ambien or some horrible complication or interaction between two medications. It wasn't the cop's fault that he did that.

I have sympathy for the guy's family, and it sucks that the guy died. And there is absolutely institutional racism in the justice system and police as a whole. But I have a hard time believing this would have ended up any differently if the guy was white, unless one of the cops somehow knew the guy.

Yeah, because people are NEVER a threat when they're just wounded. :rolleyes: In order for the cops to move in to start giving medical aid, they want to be safe. And they're going to want to see the guy's hands, if he's able. A lot of the time, the suspect is not able to, so the cops slowly move in, delaying medical treatment. It sucks, but why rush in to provide medical aid to a guy who could still be a threat? Why rush in immediately with a first aid kit when the dude could just shoot you as soon as you move to render aid? It's safe to be more methodical about it.

This is a hell of a hill to die on, a bunch of lovely pigs executed a black dude straight up, and you defend them. If dude was white they probably wouldn't have shot him because they immediately thought, black dude, gun, must be a gang banger light him up

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I typically side against the cops but Jesus Christ, the victim actually had a gun this time and reached for it. He was intoxicated, his car was in drive. The body cam feed didn't cut out for a convenient interval. I agree that when the cop with the body cam muttered "This is hosed," that should have been his cue to figure out a better way to approach the situation, but I'm not going to crucify somebody for not being a tactical mastermind. That's a sign of poor training, not of a deep-seated vendetta against sleeping black men.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 30, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

That's a pretty disingenious statement. The guy had just started waking up in an unfamiliar place, had multiple flashlights shining into his face, and was shouted at from multiple directions through his car windows. It was fewer than 4 seconds from him starting to wake up to getting shot up. The cops did everything they could to make things as disorienting as possible. I doubt he was even able to grasp the situation he was in, or make a conscious decision, before he was lit up.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hannibal Rex posted:

That's a pretty disingenious statement. The guy had just started waking up in an unfamiliar place, had multiple flashlights shining into his face, and was shouted at from multiple directions through his car windows. It was fewer than 4 seconds from him starting to wake up to getting shot up. The cops did everything they could to make things as disorienting as possible. I doubt he was even able to grasp the situation he was in, or make a conscious decision, before he was lit up.

Here's the thing - when I said he didn't give them much choice, I was talking about his decisions leading up to when he passed out. I stated above that it's unlikely he understood what was going on, or even heard/ understood the officers commands. But unfortunately when he reached for his gun, consciously or not, he hosed up.

So he was either intoxicated, on ambien, on drugs, or (and this is less likely) had an extremely unfortunate complication from a medical emergency like a seizure or diabetic episode, or interaction between two medications. Even if it's the latter two, and I highly doubt that, he still chose to have an illegally owned pistol not only within his reach, but placed on his lap. It's extremely unlikely that he was just tired, and I'll be very surprised if the toxicology report / autopsy comes back clean.

Either he consciously chose to drive intoxicated with an illegally owned handgun in clear visible view on his lap, or he was blacked out from alcohol and made those decisions, or he nodded off from being on opiates. Either way, he made the decision to drive intoxicated, or made the decision to take opiates. Being blacked out drunk isn't an excuse for driving drunk. People who committed DWIs wake up in jail not knowing how they got there all the time. We still punish them for the crimes they commit. We still punish them for the DWI, and if they resist or fight, police use whatever force necessary to make the arrest. And if he was black out drunk, it's not an excuse here, either, especially because he had that gun. That gun didnt magically appear. He chose to be in possession of a stolen handgun.

By having that gun in clear view, in easy reach with little effort, he gave the police very few options here. Had he not woken up, things could've gone differently.

There are a lot of cases where police made bad decicions and straight up committed murder or negligent homicide or manslaughter, but this isnt one of them. Why don't you worry about those instead of trying to lump this guy's death in with ones that were actually hosed up? He had a gun, and he was the one who placed it there.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1111965027483951105

The president has logged on this Saturday morning to stand behind war criminals.

And tagged Fox and Friends because we live in a totally normal and good country

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
At least the president doesn’t need a wall of text to defend extrajudicial killings, I guess.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

orange juche posted:

This is a hell of a hill to die on, a bunch of lovely pigs executed a black dude straight up, and you defend them. If dude was white they probably wouldn't have shot him because they immediately thought, black dude, gun, must be a gang banger light him up

For real. Dude could have legally owned the gun and been in a diabetic coma and it would have gone down 100% exactly the same way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Jesus, they executed the guy, and there wasnt even a magazine in the gun.

Why is it, after all the obvious racist bullshit cops do, people still rise to their defense?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

CommieGIR posted:

Why is it, after all the obvious racist bullshit cops do, people still rise to their defense?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol just bump the car from behind with a cruiser while hitting him with a spotlight and megaphone. If he wants to shoot anyone he has to shoot through multiple windows or step out of the car first.

Nah let's put guys right on top of him with guns drawn and put them more at risk so lethal force is the only option.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

CommieGIR posted:

Same can be said for are troops.

Both have a long history of doing some good, some bad, and both have critics and defenders.

something something circle overlap.

Just to be clear, this isn't directed at anyone here, it's just there is no high ground at the moment and we're all standing around in the swill.

Is the copchat thread still active? that might be a better place for this case, as well as for smollett.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Here's the thing - when I said he didn't give them much choice, I was talking about his decisions leading up to when he passed out. I stated above that it's unlikely he understood what was going on, or even heard/ understood the officers commands. But unfortunately when he reached for his gun, consciously or not, he hosed up.

So he was either intoxicated, on ambien, on drugs, or (and this is less likely) had an extremely unfortunate complication from a medical emergency like a seizure or diabetic episode, or interaction between two medications. Even if it's the latter two, and I highly doubt that, he still chose to have an illegally owned pistol not only within his reach, but placed on his lap. It's extremely unlikely that he was just tired, and I'll be very surprised if the toxicology report / autopsy comes back clean.

Either he consciously chose to drive intoxicated with an illegally owned handgun in clear visible view on his lap, or he was blacked out from alcohol and made those decisions, or he nodded off from being on opiates. Either way, he made the decision to drive intoxicated, or made the decision to take opiates. Being blacked out drunk isn't an excuse for driving drunk. People who committed DWIs wake up in jail not knowing how they got there all the time. We still punish them for the crimes they commit. We still punish them for the DWI, and if they resist or fight, police use whatever force necessary to make the arrest. And if he was black out drunk, it's not an excuse here, either, especially because he had that gun. That gun didnt magically appear. He chose to be in possession of a stolen handgun.

By having that gun in clear view, in easy reach with little effort, he gave the police very few options here. Had he not woken up, things could've gone differently.

There are a lot of cases where police made bad decicions and straight up committed murder or negligent homicide or manslaughter, but this isnt one of them. Why don't you worry about those instead of trying to lump this guy's death in with ones that were actually hosed up? He had a gun, and he was the one who placed it there.

IF you are black and have a gun in your lap, expect to be subjected to a extrajudicial firing squad, because actually arresting you ain't worth the risk.

None of these facts you are highlighting were known BEFORE THEY DECIDED TO BLOW HIM AWAY. And don't bullshit this: You KNOW if he had been white, they would've taken extra care to just subdue and arrest him :thunk:

kupachek posted:

Same can be said for are troops.

Both have a long history of doing some good, some bad, and both have critics and defenders.

No, there is no both sides to this. either. DoD ROE is a lot stricter than US Police ROE, and US Military Members do tend to at least face UCMJ consequences.

These guys will walk.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The president has logged on this Saturday morning to stand behind war criminals.

Party of the rule of law!!!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was in a nearly identical situation in Iraq as a scared 19 year old kid who had just cleared ABN school. They guy walked away. There were two of us.

So 6 "professionals" ostensibly trained, couldn't do what two Infantryman in a war zone couldn't?
Just making sure we want to hold the police to a lower standard than troubled kids from the inner city from broken homes with automatic weapons, and taking meds given to them with the known risks of psychotic behavior and irrational and angry outbursts. You know, for consistency.

There were about a million better ways to handle it- particularly if you have 6 officers. Cover and Contact. Defending these officers is no different than defending that cop who shot the kid running in the back.
If your first solution to a dodgy situation is to shoot, maybe you shouldn't be on that end of the social contract.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cruiser on either side of him, use the intercom to wake him up. Cover him with an officer with a long gun.

Nope! Just walk up to him and blast away Willy nilly.

Open and shut case.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Better idea- lets circle the car so we all get shot/get a shot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bulletsponge13 posted:

Better idea- lets circle the car so we all get shot/get a shot.

In this case I wish they had.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
As long as people focus on whether or not police use of lethal or other force was, strictly speaking, legally defensible rather than what is preventable, you're going to get cops beating up or killing people needlessly.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

CommieGIR posted:

No, there is no both sides to this. either. DoD ROE is a lot stricter than US Police ROE, and US Military Members do tend to at least face UCMJ consequences.

These guys will walk.

I wasn't getting at "both sides", I meant that there is no shortage of people lining up to suck off the image of the military which can do no wrong, just like with the police.

There is a lot of heinous poo poo they'll overlook, and breaking ROE doesn't mean poo poo if the fuckers in charge decide to overlook the incident.

And yeah, those guys will probably walk. They shouldn't, but white america will let them off after a quick suck and a private "good job" handshake.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Lol Nixon did the same poo poo with Calley

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol Nixon did the same poo poo with Calley

Except Nixon didn't have the benefit of a parallel media ecosystem that will stand behind him no matter. With a captive audience of something like 40% of the voter base that have also now been conditioned to treat any dissenting thought as fake news.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Except Nixon didn't have the benefit of a parallel media ecosystem that will stand behind him no matter. With a captive audience of something like 40% of the voter base that have also now been conditioned to treat any dissenting thought as fake news.

Conservative media wasn't as unified and directed as it is now, but it was still there. Half of America thought My Lai was fake news created to weaken our resolve, and part of those who believed it thought it was fine because our soldiers do what they need to and don't criticize our heroes.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wasn't :foxnews: specifically created to prevent another Watergate?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Current right wing propaganda is a whole different beast. Roger Ailes created Fox specifically to counteract the next Nixon outcome.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Yesterday, a federal judge knocked down California's 10 Round magazine limit as unconstitutional. There is an insane run on the standard capacity 30 rd and standard pistol magazines right now before they try and ban them again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-blocks-california-s-ban-high-capacity-magazines-over-2nd-n989136

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wonder what that means for Colorados' 15rd capacity law.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wonder what that means for Colorados' 15rd capacity law.

Nothing right now. The specific issue (legality of removing grandfathering provisions for standard magazines) doesn't apply to CO, and the broader potential implications of the judge's reasoning (legality of magazine restrictions at all) would apply only in the southern district of CA.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
And this is the problem with feature/accessory bans, until they ban self loading mechanisms you will have tons of meaningless court battles as everyone tries to find loopholes and technicalities.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arven posted:

For real. Dude could have legally owned the gun and been in a diabetic coma and it would have gone down 100% exactly the same way.

You know what I do when I'm driving around, as a person with a concealed carry permit, collection of firearms, and living in an open carry state? Roll around with a gun in my lap as I go through the drive thru.

Wait, no...that's a really loving bad idea. But maybe he planned to put the gun away before getting up to the window and brandishing.

Edit: Obviously the guy didn't deserve summary execution, but it seems pretty unlikely that the cops responded with the intent of mercing this guy. This thread scares me when Eugene is the loving voice of reason.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 30, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie got his Federal Reserve pick from his teevee and the WSJ. Both him and his pick are legendary idiots, so hopefully someone did vett- whoops he has a $75k IRS lien. Well, maybe someone looked into his histo-

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1112003945675833344?s=19

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Godholio posted:

You know what I do when I'm driving around, as a person with a concealed carry permit, collection of firearms, and living in an open carry state? Roll around with a gun in my lap as I go through the drive thru.

Uh... have you ever met anyone who conceal/open carries? I'm in Pennsyltucky and I have in-laws do who this poo poo. They're white, though, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie got his Federal Reserve pick from his teevee and the WSJ. Both him and his pick are legendary idiots, so hopefully someone did vett- whoops he has a $75k IRS lien. Well, maybe someone looked into his histo-

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1112003945675833344?s=19

So the dead beat dad law from last month is coming full circle I see.