Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
If I can't stop listening to Car Seat Headrest, who else should I listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

bows1 posted:

Band of Horses

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Horrible... the British band Her’s were killed by a drunk driver while on tour in Arizona. RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2uT0yivlrw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Modest Mouse! I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t73WWp3cCig

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lyrics are pretty weak but excellent sound

modest mouse is the only band i've heard that captures that "guitars are melting as we play them" feel

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Yeah this is good. Did they ever explain why they canceled those shows like 2 hours before the doors opened a while back?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Laura Stevenson album is out today and I’m telling you all to listen to it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Sock The Great posted:

Band of Horses

Is this a joke?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Cloud Nothings or Parquet Courts maybe?

e: The Voidz too

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

angrygodofjebus posted:

Cloud Nothings or Parquet Courts maybe?

e: The Voidz too

I'll check out the Voidz! Love the other two thanks

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

bows1 posted:

Is this a joke?

They're certainly better than Car Seat Headrest... at least they were and have released much better albums.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

T Bowl posted:

They're certainly better than Car Seat Headrest... at least they were and have released much better albums.

dont know about that one chief

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

T Bowl posted:

that certainly is an opinion one could post online.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

Band of Horses

Santana feat. Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

neat

anyone like Sigrid? Just recently came across her and I think she's phenom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uHt2LrCSWg

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
This is extremely doing it for me right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHC9tYz8ik

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

This is extremely doing it for me right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHC9tYz8ik

Ya, I've followed her for a bit. I think she's like pop rap, but it's different and I like some of her stuff. I liked See Me in a Crown quite a bit and hoping the album is more of that.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Slandible posted:

Ya, I've followed her for a bit. I think she's like pop rap, but it's different and I like some of her stuff. I liked See Me in a Crown quite a bit and hoping the album is more of that.
the album just came out. Not quite as good as I was hoping but it’s okay.
(edit: I take it back, I’m liking it more after another listen)

Really bothers me the amount of hate she gets for being an “industry plant”, her personality and the way she dresses, etc. There’s a lot worse crap out there. And it’s not like it’s a secret her brother writes and produces the music.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 31, 2019

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hadn't even heard of her before and I'm really enjoying the whole album. Gonna have to get the earlier one too if it's even better.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Lastgirl posted:

neat

We can all use a little bubblegum pop now and then

This song hits (haha) harder than that, so I think it's the best of the album, but the rest of the songs are just stuffed with hooks

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Paperback Writer posted:

the album just came out. Not quite as good as I was hoping but it’s okay.

Really bothers me the amount of hate she gets for being an “industry plant”, her personality and the way she dresses, etc. There’s a lot worse crap out there. And it’s not it’s like a secret her brother writes and produces the music.

I thought her entire thing was she was a YouTube or Soundcloud discovery. Her first song she and her brother openly produced together so I'm pretty confused by the hate. There are much more obvious record label characters created in the industry.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

I hadn't even heard of her before and I'm really enjoying the whole album. Gonna have to get the earlier one too if it's even better.
I don’t think Don’t Smile at Me is labeled an album but I really like drat near every song on it. Especially idontwannabeyouanymore and bellyache. And you might recognize the good single Come Out and Play from an Apple commercial.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The REAL Goobusters posted:

dont know about that one chief

The teen suicide guy is 98.2% correct.

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

Going to see him next Monday! Also prefer his music

Still rock my slasher flicks t shirt

I'm seeing him next week Sunday! I love Avey, and Cows is a great follow-up to Down There, which I feel is a really underrated album. I do wish he'd do new Slasher Flicks stuff. That man is so good at foot-stompin' pop songs.

In other news, I'm taking a trip out west this summer, have a free night and was looking for something to do. Then I saw that Rolling Blackouts is playing a five minute walk from my hotel. Though I'm not actually a huge fan of their new single, I've seen them twice before and enjoyed it immensely. Sometimes the universe works in very pleasant ways!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
That new Modest Mouse is strong. I think the lyrics being simple is due to the fact that they’re trying to adapt to a newer-style sound, which is pretty good. I know they experimented a little bit on that last album with some tracks. I remember people posting about certain tracks they didn’t like, even though they did stand out for other poster. It’s funny too because I was just listening to their last two albums the other day and commending them, at least on We Were Dead, that they could keep that same twang guitar sound without feeling copycat repetitive.

And Band of Horses was good, and then they broke up after their first album. So you can only compare them to that period of time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
last three tracks on the eilish album are boring as hell but i grew to really like the rest after playing it a few times today. i feel like she definitely comes from a rich LA family but the music is good so i don’t really care about whether or not people like her image or think she’s a plant or whatever

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Same, and I’m a bit baffled about why people would single her out for that specifically. It’s not like pop music is a bunch of auteurs going it alone except for her.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Anybody care about Middle Kids? I had them recommended to me by a friend and am really digging their album, and they put out a single for an EP they're releasing that I'm also enjoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibyAiAfBtIg

bows1 posted:

If you liked Cloud Nothings check out Japandroids. I didn't care at all for the last album, but Post-Nothing and Celebration Rock are excellent.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Tame Impala played another new track on SNL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNJOI2dtDZ4

Far catchier than the first single.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 1, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lastgirl posted:

neat

I love Sigrid! Plot Twist is my #1 feelgood song, it is literally impossible to be down after listening to this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuCNZK-r5A

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

spanky the dolphin posted:

Tame Impala played another new track on SNL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOI2dtDZ4

Far catchier than the first single.

Like many of the recent musical acts that are somewhat obscure for most over 40 SNL viewers, all my wife had to say about Tame Impala was “What is this, I don’t like this.” I had to explain to her that they are most well known for covering the Air Wolf theme song.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Escobarbarian posted:

last three tracks on the eilish album are boring as hell but i grew to really like the rest after playing it a few times today. i feel like she definitely comes from a rich LA family but the music is good so i don’t really care about whether or not people like her image or think she’s a plant or whatever

p much how i feel about it. pleasantly surprised.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Kramdar posted:

Like many of the recent musical acts that are somewhat obscure for most over 40 SNL viewers, all my wife had to say about Tame Impala was “What is this, I don’t like this.” I had to explain to her that they are most well known for covering the Air Wolf theme song.

I mean he's 33 and been around for about a decade. Sounds like you should go back to your cave old man.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

T Bowl posted:

I mean he's 33 and been around for about a decade. Sounds like you should go back to your cave old man.

My wife is the over 40 one. I know Tame Impala. Keep up!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i would have guessed that someone over 40 would have had some exposure to psychedelic rock at some point. then again i am also incredibly white and american and grew up in an area where your two choices for local radio were "country" and "classic rock" so i probably got more of an education in that regard

also my dad was way into the grateful dead and all that stuff when he was young lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey remember when Wayne Coyne made good psychedelic music like 5+ years ago? He's 58 now. I don't know if he's just losing it with age or what.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

We can all use a little bubblegum pop now and then

This song hits (haha) harder than that, so I think it's the best of the album, but the rest of the songs are just stuffed with hooks

I love to dance so this is the perfect kind of music for it, even with hooks

exquisite tea posted:

I love Sigrid! Plot Twist is my #1 feelgood song, it is literally impossible to be down after listening to this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuCNZK-r5A

:hfive:

I'll check this song out this weekend when I chill, thank you!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

neat

drat that's a jam, this is definitely up my alley.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i would have guessed that someone over 40 would have had some exposure to psychedelic rock at some point. then again i am also incredibly white and american and grew up in an area where your two choices for local radio were "country" and "classic rock" so i probably got more of an education in that regard

also my dad was way into the grateful dead and all that stuff when he was young lol

Don’t forget about the local radio station that plays the top 40 pop from the pre-rap era. White moms love Hungry Eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahoj
Nov 14, 2014
Mac demarcos new songs are good.