Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Buy the same model at home Depot and then return the broken one to home depot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

California Air question: Will the 8 gallon model run a Dynafile alright or would it need a portable tank added to get anything done?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Mambold posted:

Pulled the trigger.

If my neighbour had Bradford pears, I would pay them to cut the bastards down.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

If my neighbour had Bradford pears, I would pay them to cut the bastards down.

This thing was planted 20-25 years ago by trolls who lived next door. Nasty, vicious trolls. :argh: They withered and died, but it has thrived, even though it's supposedly at its EOL, from what my friend says. Well, it definitely is now.
I got the Ryobi cordless and put it together today, gave it a whirl, it has some nice features. Obviously 18v is not going to have the power of a corded Homelite, which we used the past couple days. And that in turn won't have quite the power of a gas motorized saw, but it has impressed. The Ryobi's a foot longer, won't telescope, but I suppose that's really not a big deal. Has a nice shoulder strap, or you can rest the butt of the battery on your thigh while cutting. And it has a rest at the butt of the bar, which is kinda hit and miss. I wish that was adjustable instead of part of the molded plastic.
Also I had to really torque the threaded connectors with a channel lock and pipe wrench to get the jank out. I think if you want to use one of these for a sustained period, you probably better have at least 3 batteries. I've got plenty, so that was another factor to get it.

This is last week.

Today: It's obvious from this pic that they has someone prune it some years back, but it kinda went :krakken: from there....

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The sole redeeming quality of Bradford pears is that they have some very nice carving wood in them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm a bit surprised at how many dibs for turning projects are getting put on that tree. It carves too, eh...hmmm...it's also great firewood, I understand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bradford pears make interesting wood because they’re weak and bad. It’s like Frank Lloyd Wright engineered the things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T32YKxs8Ne8

Fayetteville, Arkansas has a bounty on Bradford pears this year.

It’s a modest but welcome gesture.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 30, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

After quite a while going round in circles on dewalt's website and with various "premier" service centers here, I finally found someone willing to even engage with me on whether it's possible to replace a single plastic part under warranty. If he comes through on it guess where I'll be buying my kit from in future.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Big box stores/the internet are great and all, but lately I’ve come rely a lot more on small local distributors for tools. You may pay a little more, but they usually have better quality stuff and if something goes wrong there is an actual human who knows who you are that you can talk to. The people that work there even actually know something useful about the product they’re selling too which is a refreshing change from the employees at Lowe’s.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'm a bit surprised at how many dibs for turning projects are getting put on that tree. It carves too, eh...hmmm...it's also great firewood, I understand.
Yeah it’s very fine grained like cherry but not as hard or splintery and has a nice even texture that’s great for carving. It used to get used a lot for woodcut printing as it holds very fine details well and it’s suuuuper stable. Gets a nice pale orangey fruitwood color over time too.

The wood itself is actually fairly strong, they’re just very prone to growing with narrow, weak crotches that split.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 30, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Big box stores/the internet are great and all, but lately I’ve come rely a lot more on small local distributors for tools. You may pay a little more, but they usually have better quality stuff and if something goes wrong there is an actual human who knows who you are that you can talk to. The people that work there even actually know something useful about the product they’re selling too which is a refreshing change from the employees at Lowe’s.

Also because I buy a lot of stuff from amazon they fall over themselves to offer return-refunds (not ideal in this case) but also whenever someone fucks up it feels like they're going to get taken out back and shot.

Amazon posted:

I have reviewed the e-mail that was sent you to by my colleague Dwayne H, I am so sorry to inform you that the address provided in the e-mail is not our return fulfillment cernter's address.

Thank you for bringing this to my notice. I have forwarded the coaching feedback to our internal team, we assure you that instances like these would not be repeated.

Poor Dwayne, we hardly knew ye.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The wood itself is actually fairly strong, they’re just very prone to growing with narrow, weak crotches that split.

:same:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

California Air question: Will the 8 gallon model run a Dynafile alright or would it need a portable tank added to get anything done?

The specs on the Dynafile aren't really clear, but I imagine the 8-gallon would struggle to keep up. Just going by intuition on its air needs though.

I'd be curious to hear from someone with a bit more expertise, as I'm getting an 8-gallon myself. I really only intend to use it for blowing air, inflating tires, and running a nailer, but if I could stretch it a bit further I certainly wouldn't mind.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Butch Cassidy posted:

It looks like that compressor only makes like 2 CFM, best I can tell the dynamite eats 4 CFM. You’re going to need a bigger compressor or run it for a minute and then wait a minute for the compressor to catch up. Most air tools that run continuously use quite a bit of air compared to like a nail gun.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Anyone have any opinions on the shelix cutterheads for planers? My blades are towards the end of their life and I’m going to be switching them out. I realize the cost is a lot but are they much better?

I have a dewalt 735 if it matters.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

AFewBricksShy posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the shelix cutterheads for planers? My blades are towards the end of their life and I’m going to be switching them out. I realize the cost is a lot but are they much better?

I have a dewalt 735 if it matters.

Quieter cut, cleaner cut, less chatter in the boards. Worth ir if you plan to use it a lot

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is the best thing. I never knew soldering was supposed to be this easy. I've never had a soldering iron where the whole tip got hot. there'd always be just a spot that was warm and only that point the solder would stick to. I'd constantly have to scrub and clean and sand the tips and drag the tip around the solder until I found that one hot point in order to get the solder to melt.

Soldering always seemed like such a giant pain in the rear end and I never knew how everyone else made it seem so effortless.

Mind you, I'm no stranger to soldering. I've fixed all sorts of stuff; motherboards, hard drive controllers, monitors, stereos, I used to build my own vapes before they became a thing you could just go and buy. poo poo when I was 10 I fixed my Atari by reflowing the coax socket. I've been doing this poo poo for over 2 decades and I'm ONLY NOW finding out that this doesn't have to be a loving chore. WHY THE gently caress DID NOBODY TELL ME?

There are plenty of tools you can cheap out on. Soldering irons apparently aren't one of them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been looking for a n ew good iron - my old rear end "high end" adjustable radio shack has finally soldered its last mostly due to lovely parts that aren't worth continuing to replace even if I can find them.

This looks like a good candidate.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pace ST-50 might be a good one to look at as well.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Dropping a bundle on a proper tool only hurts until the first time you use it and you realize how easy things are supposed to be.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There are plenty of tools you can cheap out on. Soldering irons apparently aren't one of them.

This is something I have "known" but always put off because "whatever I can make due with what I have" and am never quite sure how much of it is the (decent but middling) iron and how much of it is my (lack of) technique. This might be enough encouragement for me to just pull the trigger, though.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Weller and Hakko make some good ones too. A little expensive (50-???) but worth it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

Pace ST-50 might be a good one to look at as well.

I just went on a hell of a deep dive between the two. I really like the cartridge style tips on the ADS, as well as the super small handle-to-tip distance on the ADS.

The available "ultra" tips look awesome for building up traces and other high thermal mass operations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The ST-50 uses the same cartridge tips (I think). At least very similar cartridge tips.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

The ST-50 uses the same cartridge tips (I think). At least very similar cartridge tips.

Looks like you can get it with different irons, and some of the first ones I was looking at came with an old school non-direct heat iron (PS-90). I'm not really sure of any meaningful difference between the two at this point. But I ordered the ADS-200 with the setback stand/cable, and like 7 different tips from hilariously small to a 1/4 solder paint brush.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I love lunch break estate sales. Picked up a 8 inch drill press, 2 old disston saws, a bunch of odd screws and nuts, and a history of the IRA for 40 bucks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Motronic posted:

Looks like you can get it with different irons, and some of the first ones I was looking at came with an old school non-direct heat iron (PS-90). I'm not really sure of any meaningful difference between the two at this point. But I ordered the ADS-200 with the setback stand/cable, and like 7 different tips from hilariously small to a 1/4 solder paint brush.

:hfive:
Where'd you get yours? I ordered from amazon.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:hfive:
Where'd you get yours? I ordered from amazon.

Tequipment - It was $243 for the one with instant setback. Amazon was like $270 (no prime) for that or $260 without and I'd have it in my grubby hands tomorrow. I decided to try to be patient and take the deal. They are in NJ and I'm in easter PA so it's possible I actually will have it tomorrow if they get it shipped today.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

coathat posted:

I love lunch break estate sales. Picked up a 8 inch drill press, 2 old disston saws, a bunch of odd screws and nuts, and a history of the IRA for 40 bucks.

lol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Motronic posted:

Tequipment - It was $243 for the one with instant setback. Amazon was like $270 (no prime) for that or $260 without and I'd have it in my grubby hands tomorrow. I decided to try to be patient and take the deal. They are in NJ and I'm in easter PA so it's possible I actually will have it tomorrow if they get it shipped today.

Well poo poo I bought the $300 one with the standard stand and 4 tips.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KY58984/

I could have saved a few bucks and waited an extra day if I had known they were in NJ.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well poo poo I bought the $300 one with the standard stand and 4 tips.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KY58984/

I could have saved a few bucks and waited an extra day if I had known they were in NJ.

Looks like their pricing on tips is pretty good too. This is what I ordered with it:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coathat posted:

Lucky.

How long is your lunch break?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's the amazing part, those cartridge tips are an incredible deal IMO.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anyone got preferences for router tables? All the ones I'm seeing are either terribly reviewed or very expensive. It seems like the sort of thing you could make out of a piece of plywood and a few clamps.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My co-worker is awesome and brought this dovetail jig in for me today. He grabbed it at an auto parts swap meet as part of a giant "bunch of poo poo for $10" box, and said he'd never use it.

He also gave me a giant rear end auger bit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Anyone got preferences for router tables? All the ones I'm seeing are either terribly reviewed or very expensive. It seems like the sort of thing you could make out of a piece of plywood and a few clamps.

The table itself can well be a piece of plywood, it's the router lift that can be the difficult part.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AFewBricksShy posted:

He also gave me a giant rear end auger bit.

That rear end auger looks unsafe.

For one thing, it lacks a flared base.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

Always practice safe rear end play

edit: VVV lol

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 5, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

Looks like a locking base to me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Pretty easy to make your own. I posted this in the woodworking thread a while ago, and it's basically a homemade copy of the Kreg ones (which are good if you want a router table the works and does everything it is supposed to do). The fences lately seem to have come out of alignment or something and I think I might have been better off to have made it out of baltic birch plywood or something stiffer than MDF.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't have plans for it, but I made a pretty simple one out of half a sheet of MDF. The router base mounts to a piece of 1/4" plywood which bolts through the table base and sits in a little routed out area. I made several of the mounting pieces at the same time so all the holes for bolts etc. line up and so I'd have several for different sized openings for different sized bits. The fence assembly moves forward and back in two 1/2" slots with a 1/2" carriage bolt sticking up through them, and is clamped in position by washers and wingnuts. The semi-sacrificial front fences are similarly attached to the main fence assembly with countersunk 1/4" carriage bolts going through slots so you can move those fences in and out to accommodate different bit sizes. It's all just glued and screwed together. MDF hates screws so drill pilot holes, but it's much flatter than I think it would have been if I'd used good plywood. Homemade ice cream tub dust collector works very well.

I've thought about covering it in laminate and adding a slot for a miter gauge but haven't gotten around to it because it mostly does everything I want it to do. It's basically just a homemade knock-off of the Kreg one and works pretty great for $25 as opposed to $200. I've got it bolted to the edge of the tablesaw runoff table and if you take the fence off and knock the two 1/2" bolts out it is flush with the table and doesn't get in the way-you could easily build it into a runoff table to save space.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pretty easy to make your own. I posted this in the woodworking thread a while ago, and it's basically a homemade copy of the Kreg ones (which are good if you want a router table the works and does everything it is supposed to do). The fences lately seem to have come out of alignment or something and I think I might have been better off to have made it out of baltic birch plywood or something stiffer than MDF.

Thanks. Making a proper workbench feels like so much yak shaving to me but I think it's time to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You have my yaks.