Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

prime video. sounder & link are both viable options, but its still like a lot of time spent commuting

fwiw I got the impression that Prime Video was one of the better teams to work on, compared to AWS or all the Alexa fart huffing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I think I'm gonna not work at Amazon

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bloody posted:

I think I'm gonna not work at Amazon

You have enough experience at this point where listening to your gut is probably the right move.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
anyone gone from IC -> management? thoughts? if my career goals include 'not being an IC forever' is it a worthwhile thing to pursue?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

uncurable mlady posted:

anyone gone from IC -> management? thoughts? if my career goals include 'not being an IC forever' is it a worthwhile thing to pursue?

If you enjoy listening to people's problems, mentoring reports and continually monitoring their performance, having the ability to actually drive direction in the business, and also do not mind replacing programming time with "being in meetings a lot" time, sure why not. Just be careful how close to the sun you fly, if you actually like programming then you might not like moving up to Manager of Managers role.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qhat posted:

If you enjoy listening to people's problems, mentoring reports and continually monitoring their performance, having the ability to actually drive direction in the business, and also do not mind replacing programming time with "being in meetings a lot" time, sure why not. Just be careful how close to the sun you fly, if you actually like programming then you might not like moving up to Manager of Managers role.

This fucks with me because I'm a really social person who understands how companies work and wants to help people but I also really enjoy my current job. I can tell management has noticed and is starting to groom me and idk how it's gonna shake out

Prob the same way that I got into thisin the first place. 'Well I'm good at it and wanna stack figgies so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

if your career goal is to not be an individual contributor, i think you kinda figured this out for yourself

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

This fucks with me because I'm a really social person who understands how companies work and wants to help people but I also really enjoy my current job. I can tell management has noticed and is starting to groom me and idk how it's gonna shake out

Prob the same way that I got into thisin the first place. 'Well I'm good at it and wanna stack figgies so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'

That's why I'm not sure I want to move above a tech lead role, I like programming and I like managing in equal parts, but to do either one exclusively for the rest of my career would probably not satisfy me enough.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
as a note of caution, if you make the jump from ic to management make sure that your company has a support structure in place for new managers and that you have a boss who will support and guide you

i made an internal jump at the end of 2017 to manage a new infrastructure security engineering team because i was confident that it was the next step in my career. a month later my director quit.

i spent almost a year reporting directly to the chief product officer which was great in terms of exposure and being on the inside but really lovely in terms of having an advocate in the business for security.

i was isolated and frustrated and i spent a year banging my head against a wall trying to get my team to accomplish anything. in my frustration, i turned back to writing code and delegated some of my other duties which weren't done.

doing a combined manager, team lead, project manager, and program manager role kept me working late hours and amped up my stress until i had enough and stepped down into a lead ic role.

there were obviously other factors that led to my failure in management, some of them mine and some of them organizational, but the important thing you should take away is that you shouldn't do management because you think it's the next step. manage only if that's what you really actually want to do.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

a text came in from an old co-worker of mine about a possible job opportunity in a larger company field-adjacent to the one i am in. with actual options to career advance a bit. i would have to move but at this point it can't be any worse than where i am at.

this thread has inspired me to at least throw a resume at the drat thing. thanks y'all.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

aeflux posted:

this thread has inspired me to at least throw a resume at the drat thing. thanks y'all.

good plan. now spend a couple of hours looking for other opportunities and send that resume there, too.

get dem figgies

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

qhat posted:

That's why I'm not sure I want to move above a tech lead role, I like programming and I like managing in equal parts, but to do either one exclusively for the rest of my career would probably not satisfy me enough.

yeah this is kinda where I’m at. that said, I’m generally more excited about team stuff vs individual stuff... the projects that I can point at and be the proudest of over my career are the ones where I drove process/org changes moreso than the ones where I poo poo out some code

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i live in the midwest and have about 5 years experience on paper (which is more like 3 years actual experience) how much money should i be asking for?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

HoboMan posted:

i live in the midwest and have about 5 years experience on paper (which is more like 3 years actual experience) how much money should i be asking for?

all of it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

HoboMan posted:

how high is up

job? programmer, devop, management?
industry?
experienced in a hot technology?
in a large/hot metro?
degree?
base or total comp?

generically midwest I’d say $70-125k base

looking at your post history you’ve got multiple offers so don’t set a number. thread has lots of advice on how to dodge that question. batna and all that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

but really, this

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

My first-choice company just bounced me...after checking my references :confused: :(

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Dijkstracula posted:

My first-choice company just bounced me...after checking my references :confused: :(

Oh poo poo, how many did you provide? I don't really know what to do in that situation... ask them what they said? That seems awkward...

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Three, per their request (one former manager and two peers)

I asked the manager reference if they had any idea of what went awry, since backchannel from the peers seemed to be that the company were positive on me, and I was told "I wasn't super prepared for that reference check" which is :confused: :confused:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Dijkstracula posted:

lol how does that happen? what kind of person agrees to be a reference then trash talks you

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Tetramin posted:

lol how does that happen? what kind of person agrees to be a reference then trash talks you

maybe they were on the fence and deliberating while checking references, so it wasn't actually related?

IDK IT IS EXTREMELY WEIRD and I'm grouchy because I liked this company :(

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

that fuckin sucks :(

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Dijkstracula posted:

maybe they were on the fence and deliberating while checking references, so it wasn't actually related?

yeah making it to the reference check stage is usually where I start relaxing and getting excited. sucks man.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Dijkstracula posted:

Three, per their request (one former manager and two peers)

I asked the manager reference if they had any idea of what went awry, since backchannel from the peers seemed to be that the company were positive on me, and I was told "I wasn't super prepared for that reference check" which is :confused: :confused:

That sounds weird as hell. I'd almost be tempted to write it off as a bullshit excuse to pass you over, or maybe some wires got crossed somewhere along the line, but I'd want to know who poo poo talked you if that's what actually happened. Was your old manager a prick?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Ya, if it really was one of your references who got you axed it'd be good to know so you can avoid using them again.

poo poo sucks though. Goondolences.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Honestly I wouldn't really be able to understand the mentality of a person that would agree to giving you a reference and then bad mouth you, that's pretty malicious. Unless of course the referencer threw a bunch of curve balls that the reference found difficult to answer, so I guess it might not even be their fault.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Might be moving over the summer for my wife to attend university. Time to dust off the old résumé.

Shout out to MononcQc for providing the nice LaTeX template a few months ago. It's clean and easy to modify: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966&userid=117596&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post490472500

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

qhat posted:

Unless of course the referencer threw a bunch of curve balls that the reference found difficult to answer, so I guess it might not even be their fault.
Yeah this is the thing that I'm thinking maybe happened :(

OH WELL

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dijkstracula posted:

This is worth a call to your reference

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I kinda almost did that to an old coworker years ago. he didn’t give me a heads up, but he was trying to get security clearance. so I kept getting voicemails from so and so at the Navy, which I obviously ignored.

eventually navy guy showed up at my front door and said “I want to talk to you about old coworker X for xyz reasons and then it finally clicked. he got clearance in the end.

around the same time his wife was interviewing for a prof job at Virginia tech. they were touring the campus and went up the stairwell to find the next floors door locked, which was unexpected, so they left. on the news later that night they found out who locked it

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

This is worth a call to your reference

yeah so when I did they were all "yeah so I wasn't really prepared for the call, they asked about your projects and I didn't have much to say" which is messed up but they had two other people to talk to (they called at least one of the other two, who said the talk went well), so I don't know

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Dijkstracula posted:

yeah so when I did they were all "yeah so I wasn't really prepared for the call, they asked about your projects and I didn't have much to say" which is messed up but they had two other people to talk to (they called at least one of the other two, who said the talk went well), so I don't know

this sounds like the person calling doesn't understand what checking a reference means. i'd say bullet dodged but it could have otherwise been a good opportunity that was ruined by an idiot.

see thread title

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

this sounds like the person calling doesn't understand what checking a reference means. i'd say bullet dodged but it could have otherwise been a good opportunity that was ruined by an idiot.

see thread title

Asking about previous projects doesn't sound like an unreasonable thing but just really the broad strokes i.e did they blow projects to hell, were they easy to work with, did they regularly miss deadlines, etc. I feel as long as the answers to those questions are green then it should be a pass? It's weird to be rejected because the references themselves choked, that's not really the point.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah when he says 'i wasn't prepared for that call' it sounds like they were asking very pointed and specific questions and he was caught off guard. they then turned him down because a different person choked. whoever was checking the reference was a dummy

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah when he says 'i wasn't prepared for that call' it sounds like they were asking very pointed and specific questions and he was caught off guard. they then turned him down because a different person choked. whoever was checking the reference was a dummy

Rex-Goliath posted:

see thread title

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

that happened to me a few months back, loving sucks

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

thanks pals :shobon:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I thought reference checks were supposed to be like "did this person actually work with you k thx "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

haha lol I'm 1000% second guessing myself now god I hate this