Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

wooger posted:

Do you really think that’s a reasonable way to describe Webb or Linehan’s views?

You may want to check reality out at some point if so.

We found another one lads!

Re: Back I'll probably give it a watch. Webb's gotten my back up a lot recently but he didn't write the thing.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not sure what Webb's said on the subject but Linehan, yes, loving absolutely.

Again, based on reports, or actually reading anything he’s said? ‘Cos it all seems eminently reasonable.

People who are far both more liberal and left leaning than the majority of the population being branded as daily mail cunts seems a really bad way to win any struggle.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

wooger posted:

Again, based on reports, or actually reading anything he’s said? ‘Cos it all seems eminently reasonable.

People who are far both more liberal and left leaning than the majority of the population being branded as daily mail cunts seems a really bad way to win any struggle.

Maybe you should go and read his twitter before whiteknighting the dude.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The idea that anyone could look at some of the poo poo Linehan says, especially about women, and say he's even remotely liberal or left wing is hilarious. I'm sorry you feel the need to defend a horrible person who wrote a decent sitcom over 20 years ago.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

njsykora posted:

The idea that anyone could look at some of the poo poo Linehan says, especially about women, and say he's even remotely liberal or left wing is hilarious. I'm sorry you feel the need to defend a horrible person who wrote a decent sitcom over 20 years ago.

Have any of you ever read the daily mail? It is not similar in any regard (being a right wing fascist rag), which was my only point.

Can you provide a direct quote of these terrible indefensible statements?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
https://www.twitter.com/glinner

loving sealion

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The_Doctor posted:

TV is still very down on meeting people through the net for any reason (friends, dating, etc), despite ~20% of married couples these days having met online first.

I have noticed this too. Maybe like the other goon said it is just down to people doing the writing who have somehow managed to keep technology largely peripheral to their own lives or maybe :tinfoil: they have a grudge about the loss of these beauties https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78fDrECh0GY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF8Zl4lEEzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5hamvk7ZA <- this one is my favourite. I am the guy with the white lab coat and clip board taking a break from my very important research that I do to help some bloke on the phone rub one out

crispix fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 30, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The guy on the left in the briefs is clearly Mr Lets Get Down To Business while the others just came off from work.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The_Doctor posted:

TV is still very down on meeting people through the net for any reason (friends, dating, etc), despite ~20% of married couples these days having met online first.

I saw Rich Hall in Edinburgh back in 2006, who asked a random couple in the audience how they met, and found it hilarious that they had met online. He went on to make a couple of minutes of jokes about people who met online to a packed theatre to essentially no reception. Even then I found it very odd that comedians still found people who met online to be unusual.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I didn’t realise there was another series of Back I quite like the first. I’ll also be watching the next series of Motherland, which I believe Lineham is involved in because the first one was excellent.

This is regardless of how many times they retweet Martina Navratilova.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Clicked for some reason and like the last time I looked at his feed literally every tweet is complaining about trans people. What the gently caress is wrong with him. Is this all because he feels insecure about his masculinity after getting his balls chopped off?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Getting exciting for Line of Duty on Sunday evening.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

wooger posted:

Lineham spends the vast majority of his time spewing hatred at minorities, he is not in any way 'more liberal and left leaning than the majority of the population', that's just bollocks that you want to be true because you like something he used to do.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I think when Linehan was younger he definitely would have been a very liberal guy by the standards of the time and he likely still thinks of himself that way. Thing is though it is no longer the 1990s and he is a middle aged man in a very changed world. I quit Twitter years ago but the stuff of his that I have read on the forums here just looks to me like someone who is having a bit of a crisis because he is unable to deal with the idea that a lot of people today see him as a backward old curmudgeon :/

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

Getting exciting for Line of Duty on Sunday evening.

Same here. Brilliant telly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He's a stubborn old twat who refuses to admit he's wrong.

Father Ted was funny but goddamn don't die on the hill refusing the world has changed because it has and it just sad and petty.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
It seems to have become an obsession that has consumed him. It is beyond me why someone wouldn't just say sorry for hurting people's feelings and find a different thing to do.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

crispix posted:

It seems to have become an obsession that has consumed him. It is beyond me why someone wouldn't just say sorry for hurting people's feelings and find a different thing to do.

Part of me thinks deep down he knows he's over the hill and this keeps him relevant I guess?

I mean goddamn the IT Crowd itself has not aged well with some episodes especially the one that has got him into this mess. He's done nothing else Telly wise for years?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Part of me thinks deep down he knows he's over the hill and this keeps him relevant I guess?

I mean goddamn the IT Crowd itself has not aged well with some episodes especially the one that has got him into this mess. He's done nothing else Telly wise for years?

He's done a lot of consulting and support writing around British comedy as far as I know, I definitely see some comedians lamenting how much power and respect he still gets in television comedy, especially around sitcoms.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

He did a show called Motherland a couple years ago, which I know nothing about except it has Philomena Cunk in it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

wooger posted:

Linehan led a mumsnet backed email campaign against a charity that's essentially a support group for Trans kids in order to deny them National Lottery funding.

Daily

Mail

oval office

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

njsykora posted:

He's done a lot of consulting and support writing around British comedy as far as I know, I definitely see some comedians lamenting how much power and respect he still gets in television comedy, especially around sitcoms.

Then the man has fallen on a comically large sword usually carried by a character from Final Fantasy and has no clue how lovely this makes him look. Or he just doesn't care. Either way, petty and stupid as hell.

Fingers crossed the next generation catches him in a Brass Eye style sting a decade from now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

He did a show called Motherland a couple years ago, which I know nothing about except it has Philomena Cunk in it.

I thought Motherland was a lot of fun.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

They filmed some of the second season of Motherland in and outside the house next door to me a couple of weeks ago. Spoilers for season two: there is an episode where it’s Halloween and the three main characters dress up in rubbish costumes and go to Kevin’s house to deal with trick-or-treaters.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

wooger posted:

‘Cos it all seems eminently reasonable.

Go read this

https://medium.com/@Phaylen/graham-linehans-terrifying-transgender-obsession-6c47f116111f

Then come back and apologise for defending that shitstain on humanity

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Line of Duty was a lot of fun even if I predicted the twist at the end.

There was an operation Pear Tree and Hastings living in a Premier Inn, leaving me wondering if there’s a conscious effort to reference Alan Partridge.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Alan finale tonight!!!!! :holy:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Charlton Brooker on Room 101 starting now as well

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The last episode of TTWAP really did feel like filler. Big lips Alan was just disturbing :/

Hoping for something good tonight.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I demand a Jumble! Lyn spinoff.

Also thought there was going to be a nude winky moment with the bloke in the shower.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Okay, there was no big moment, nobody got shot dead like in the 1990s but that was really good Alan and I think it perfectly sets things up for some more Alan.

Thing is though, he's actually aging for real now. In fact he's now 7 years younger than Coogan? :corsair:

crispix fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 2, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I really didn't want to see Alan's legs today.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Paladinus posted:

I really didn't want to see Alan's legs today.

Reminded me a lot of the earlier episode where he was slapping the packs of meat :/

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't stop watching Tim Keys when he was sitting next to Alan, he was so funny.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It had definite I’m Alan Partridge vibes. Great finale. Night vision Alan was hilarious/creepy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Fleabag finale was very good and quite moving. Don't really want to spoil anything but I will say that Phoebe Waller-Bridge rocks the hell out of her dress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Fleabag finale was fantastic. Definitely one of the best shows of the decade imo

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Turns out folks with BPD just need a bloody good rogering off a priest.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
For the people wondering why Supt. Ted Hastings had a running laptop in his room in Line of Duty 5x02 it is because Ted was watching the dating site he signed up for and then he received a message from Gill Biggeloe that says "one thing I like more than men in uniform is giving a second chance to the man who gave me a good bollocking in season 3".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Looking forward to the final (for now) Derry Girls tonight. Last week's episode felt like the end, especially as a mirror image of last year's finale. The girls on stage dancing/the bombing on the tv vs the girls wrestling in pig's blood on the same stage/the ceasefire announcement.