Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

She submits a vote of no confidence against herself and it fails.

i now actually want this to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

oh no theresa please don't throw me in the briar patch. anything but that

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

System Metternich posted:

On what short a notice could a general election feasibly be held? Like, even if May would be able to table MV4 as early as on Monday, after her inevitable failure this would leave her with a whopping eleven days for a GE to be prepared, candidates to be fielded, the vote to be conducted and the result to be determined before Brexit strikes, and that is even before the newly elected parliament meets for the first time, let aside the new government to start work.

Maybe I underestimate the British ability to prepare national elections on a minute's notice, but the above sounds like a long-winded synonym for "literally impossible" to me

IIRC a GE typically happens five weeks after it is called. I'm American so that may be off, but regardless it sounds like loving heaven given that we're already months into bitching about 2020 presidential candidates and it's still ten months til the Iowa caucuses :suicide:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

System Metternich posted:

On what short a notice could a general election feasibly be held? Like, even if May would be able to table MV4 as early as on Monday, after her inevitable failure this would leave her with a whopping eleven days for a GE to be prepared, candidates to be fielded, the vote to be conducted and the result to be determined before Brexit strikes, and that is even before the newly elected parliament meets for the first time, let aside the new government to start work.

Maybe I underestimate the British ability to prepare national elections on a minute's notice, but the above sounds like a long-winded synonym for "literally impossible" to me

They'll need to hope calling an election is good enough for the EU to offer the UK another extension. May has until April 11th to ask, which would mean holding European Parliament elections (or the EU coming up with some workaround). Since she can't possibly get an election through parliament without a lot of Tory votes, and they would insist she not lead them into the election, there'll also need to be a time allowance made for a Tory leadership contest. Probably like 4 months is the soonest it could happen.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Even if they call call a general election and the EU grants another extension (both before the 11th), then the only extention they will get will be the two year one, which means they will also have to arrange last minute European Parliamentary elections to take place on May 26th, so take whatever snap election chaos you're imagining and double it.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

I'm bringin' Brexit back (yeah)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i am fuckin stoked for may to fail so hard that her failure itself fails and she cant manage to call a ge

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Attorney at Funk posted:

They'll need to hope calling an election is good enough for the EU to offer the UK another extension.

Ever since they finished working out May's brexit deal, the EU has been surprisingly consistent about being willing to renegotiate after a snap election. One wonders if they'd still be up for it if said election put the tories into power with May at the head, though.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Brexit: This time it's Meaningful 4!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

have the eu indicated if they would renegotiate if instead of elections, riots??

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Zoran posted:

the most fitting outcome to this whole thing would be May’s deal fails again but she can't trigger new elections when she calls for them because the rest of the Tories, the DUP, and the CUKs vote it down

Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the brexit with you

Yes I'm stuck in the brexit with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
It's so hard to keep this smile from my face,
Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place,
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the brexit with you

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Squizzle posted:

have the eu indicated if they would renegotiate if instead of elections, riots??

I feel like Macron would have something to say about this lol

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol @ david cameron handing may brexit and fixed term parliament shite

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

She won't call a GE it's a threat to her party

Back my deal or Corbyn is PM

A way more effective threat than "Back my deal or its no deal" since a majority of tory members want no deal anyway

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

You can't just vote on something till you get the result you want, typical remainer.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

no don't do it

this except the opposite

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
t may:

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

An insane mind posted:

Brexit: This time it's Meaningful 4!

*two months pass*

Now That’s What I call Brexit! 24

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Much as I'm fed up with all this, I don't really want a General Election as well. If the tories won again, it wouldn't really change anything and if Labour won then we'd have to put up with them failing to achieve anything either (as I think their current policy is to go along with Brexit but somehow negotiate differently, by magic I guess). I can't really think of anyone I'd actually want to vote for right now.

Wait a minute, what's Lord Buckethead up to these days?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Stoatbringer posted:

Much as I'm fed up with all this, I don't really want a General Election as well. If the tories won again, it wouldn't really change anything and if Labour won then we'd have to put up with them failing to achieve anything either (as I think their current policy is to go along with Brexit but somehow negotiate differently, by magic I guess). I can't really think of anyone I'd actually want to vote for right now.

If your only metric as to whether a government is good or not is Brexit then you're a loving liberal running dog.

Something like 150,000 people have been killed by Tory austerity. Lucky you if that's not a factor in your preference.

Where's that picture of the woman at the march with a placard asking Theresa May to explain to her dog that he can't go on a skiing holiday

'Cause that's you

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
How have 150k peeps been killed by Tory BS? Genuinely curious

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

How have 150k peeps been killed by Tory BS? Genuinely curious

120k, mea culpa

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2017/nov/austerity-linked-120000-extra-deaths-england

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Lmao gammon does clog arteries it seems

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

EFTA type arrangement is now on the table I think. Labour is for it. Maybe even the Tories, who knows. The only thing standing in the way of getting something done is May now and getting rid of her ASAP should be priority number one for every man and woman in Britain.

What's your alternative here? Dicking around for another year with that garbage dick May deal and then having an election anyway? Nothing will have changed. Do you seriously think she will get that dreck passes or that they find some cure for her autism? That's not gonna happen

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I don't really see how an EFTA-like arrangement would come even close to what the stated goals for Brexit are.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

I don't really see how an EFTA-like arrangement would come even close to what the stated goals for Brexit are.

Oh no, the will of the laughably stupid electorate :qq:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Even the goals of Brexit don't meet the goals of Brexit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does EFTA mean brexit

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

that 120k only covers england 2010-2014, so your original number is probably closer

IamFuckMan
Mar 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Is this now the fourth time she wants a vote on her bill or? Can't keep it straight anymore.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

breftaxit

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/charmada/status/1111587247005073409

a devastating blow to comedy: it could've been CUKTIG

sounds awfully German for a brexit group

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Hey, I didn't say I have all the answers. :)

But yes, getting May and the tories out would be great for many reasons other than just brexit. But whoever won, all they're going to be doing is yet more endless Bexit-related stuff for months if not years and dealing with the fallout from whatever eventually happens, one way or the other.

Revoke article 50 and get back to doing proper stuff to help people and stop us all drowning when the seas rise twenty metres, instead of spending the next twenty years trying to negotiate trade deals with Bhutan and Greenland.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

IamFuckMan posted:

Is this now the fourth time she wants a vote on her bill or? Can't keep it straight anymore.

It takes them a few days to renumber the paragraphs to fool Bercow.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Stoatbringer posted:

Hey, I didn't say I have all the answers. :)

But yes, getting May and the tories out would be great for many reasons other than just brexit. But whoever won, all they're going to be doing is yet more endless Bexit-related stuff for months if not years and dealing with the fallout from whatever eventually happens, one way or the other.

Revoke article 50 and get back to doing proper stuff to help people and stop us all drowning when the seas rise twenty metres, instead of spending the next twenty years trying to negotiate trade deals with Bhutan and Greenland.

Yeah it's just under the tories getting back to proper stuff means cutting everything to the bone, asset stripping the country and appealing to racists by deporting black UK citizens.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Yeah it's just under the tories getting back to proper stuff means cutting everything to the bone, asset stripping the country and appealing to racists by deporting black UK citizens.

Who can say which side is better, tho

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is it the UK or EU that administers the local EU elections? I assume are they ready to hold one in the event the UK wishes to stay, otherwise why such a tight deadline for extension? Right now it's not known whether or not they will participate, so I'm not understanding why so close of extension.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is it the UK or EU that administers the local EU elections? I assume are they ready to hold one in the event the UK wishes to stay, otherwise why such a tight deadline for extension? Right now it's not known whether or not they will participate, so I'm not understanding why so close of extension.

The UK. *laughtrack*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Better stockpile that stella.