Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've just been playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and it's really fun, but I love how insane the security stuff is.

I was sneaking around the Palisade secure storage bank/fortress and snuck into a security room where I killed a couple of dudes. I thought I was in the clear but someone saw me and instantly the whole place is on such high alert that I can hide in a vent as long as I want and they just keep cycling between searching/hostile/panic. That in itself seems like it's probably a bug, but whatever. I decide to just go do the mission I was there for which was to get some stuff from the CEO's office. Everyone up there is on high alert as well, so I just kill everyone on that floor - and as soon as the last guy dies the whole building stands down. There's still dudes and robots and turrets and cameras on every other floor that were all just waiting for me to show my face, and now they don't care.

Killed two dudes? We will pursue you to the ends of the Earth. Killed about ten more dudes and a robot? You're free to go. Obviously it's not working as intended, but I have no idea what the intended behaviour was and it was hilarious that just killing enough people got them off my back. I went back to the lobby and walked around and no one cared.

Also, love how no one does anything if you steal their stuff or break into houses or walk into the storage rooms of shops - except for one shop where if you go there the owner reacts like you've just started shooting people. Or the other place that's marked as a shop on the map but just walking through the open front door will get you shot.

Another thing: I stole a grenade launcher from a police van just to see if I could and the police instantly went hostile and I died. Fair enough. But when I reloaded I found that the game had apparently autosaved after I got the grenade launcher but before anyone went hostile and apparently that meant I just got to keep it with no consequences. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite thing about Sekiro is how it's centered around making each fight look cool. If you parry even half decent you can end up looking like a really great action movie. There is this one boss fight where he will attack you maybe 10 times in a row. If you parry each shot you will both be flung back to a starting position in your katas. It's awesome.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dewgy posted:

Sekiro does the opposite and it's absolutely hilarious in some contexts.

Sneak up on a dude, start a backstab, and some guy 15 feet away gets a yellow marker on his head, kind of suspicious maybe! Then the dude explodes into a red mist of blood, which apparently means everything is fine, nothing is wrong, and the suspicious one goes back to passive immediately. :allears:

That's still better than Skyrim's "there's literally an arrow sticking out of my head but it must be the wind because I looked around for approximately 10 seconds while standing still"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

That's still better than Skyrim's "there's literally an arrow sticking out of my head but it must be the wind because I looked around for approximately 10 seconds while standing still"

But God help you if you steal a cabbage in view of a horse, chicken, or passing bird

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Len posted:

I like the Buzz Lightyear ride

I must have ridden that thing at least 10 times in one day when I was a kid. I had the biggest grin whenever I used it

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Once someone in Riverwood caught me taking a tomato. I opted to flee rather than escalate the situation. He chased me with a knife most of the way to Whiterun. Over a tomato.

:allears:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sonic Mania: When you clear enough blue sphere special stages you get the option to have Knuckles as a second player. This means that you can two 'Knuckles' at the same time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There is also a special ending for completing the game as Knuckles & Knuckles

It's like only one slide, but still.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

There is also a special ending for completing the game as Knuckles & Knuckles

It's like only one slide, but still.

Shame on you for not calling this "Knuckle Sandwich"

(caveat: I am not now nor have I ever been a Sonic guy and if "Knuckle Sandwich" is an idea that immediately creates a lot of anger and hard feelings ala The Orangoutan Story I wholeheartedly apologize)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Being able to have your flying bots come with a name in bioshock 2 is great and I love them and feel sad if they die

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only DLC to have a story as good as Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den would have to be Witcher's Hearts of Stone and New Vegas's Dead Money.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I've just been playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and it's really fun, but I love how insane the security stuff is.

I was sneaking around the Palisade secure storage bank/fortress and snuck into a security room where I killed a couple of dudes. I thought I was in the clear but someone saw me and instantly the whole place is on such high alert that I can hide in a vent as long as I want and they just keep cycling between searching/hostile/panic. That in itself seems like it's probably a bug, but whatever. I decide to just go do the mission I was there for which was to get some stuff from the CEO's office. Everyone up there is on high alert as well, so I just kill everyone on that floor - and as soon as the last guy dies the whole building stands down. There's still dudes and robots and turrets and cameras on every other floor that were all just waiting for me to show my face, and now they don't care.
You're half-human and half-machine. Obviously the machines will side with their brother once their masters are dead.

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, an early mission allows you to kill an entire police department. It's a bad idea and not easy but if you really can't progress it's an option. Every cop in the city will shoot to kill until you get home. At which point the police are fine with you, because otherwise the game wouldn't be able to progress. They're a little snarky when you go back to the police department but that's it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a rad theme if you choose to gun down everyone in the police-station that most players never hear, since you can just stealth by for the maximum XP bonus or ask permission nicely to get inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWBbJeq7os

Deus Ex reminds me of Resident Evil games like 2, in that the most memorable locations are the domestic spaces like the Banks, Police-Stations, Shops, and Offices instead of the high-tech secret-base in the endgame. The Stick of Truth also scratched that itch where you spend most of the game rooting around a normal town.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Mar 29, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're half-human and half-machine. Obviously the machines will side with their brother once their masters are dead.

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, an early mission allows you to kill an entire police department. It's a bad idea and not easy but if you really can't progress it's an option. Every cop in the city will shoot to kill until you get home. At which point the police are fine with you, because otherwise the game wouldn't be able to progress. They're a little snarky when you go back to the police department but that's it.

The just follow Dr Mcninja rules, once you get to home base you’re free. That’s why they’re snarky later

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

The just follow Dr Mcninja rules, once you get to home base you’re free. That’s why they’re snarky later
I made the exact same joke to my friend the first time I played it. 2012 was a good year.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Croccers posted:

Ugh I'm sad the third never got officially translated.
The 3DS got loving shafted in the west.

Luckily there is a fan translation that is currently in the works for Rocket Slime 3. https://www.reddit.com/r/SlimeMoriMori/

Recently one of the guys working on it said they're about 90% complete with the translation and it was looking pretty good in the stream they did about a month ago.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've finished that game several times and I pretty much always kill everyone on the upper and lower floors of the police station, just for funsies. Never killed the people on the ground floor though because it's too big a space with no convenient places to hide and snipe from.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Deus Ex reminds me of Resident Evil games like 2, in that the most memorable locations are the domestic spaces like the Banks, Police-Stations, Shops, and Offices instead of the high-tech secret-base in the endgame.
Ever since Invisible War I've wanted a game that's just the hub sections with no story missions. Like, just put all that story mission effort into giving me more side quests and more places to gently caress around in. I get through all the side quests and finish exploring every place I can get then think "oh well, I guess I'll do a story mission then. Maybe it'll unlock some more side quests."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

Ever since Invisible War I've wanted a game that's just the hub sections with no story missions. Like, just put all that story mission effort into giving me more side quests and more places to gently caress around in. I get through all the side quests and finish exploring every place I can get then think "oh well, I guess I'll do a story mission then. Maybe it'll unlock some more side quests."

That's pretty much the only redeeming part of Xenoblade Chronicles X on the WiiU to a tee, and why anybody likes it at all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

You just described the two latest Hitman games. You should definitely play them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I decided to revisit Crypt of the Necrodancer as I've only ever played a few minutes, although at least this time I got some diamonds so have a couple of permanent upgrades which is nice, and I love it's style, especially when you run into a merchant and he adds an opera track to the background music. I'm really bad at it though.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

One of my favorite things about Sekiro is that leading up to the game's release they said that Patches wasn't going to be in it. For those of you who don't know Patches is a character in all From Software games who deceives players by telling them some treasure is somewhere, only to have Patches kick the player off a cliff when they go investigate.
I was sad about him not being in the game but then I found this dude covered in patched up clothes wearing an eye patch

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I missed this and didn't find out until way later, when its far less useful but check behind you from the stairs idol in ashina outskirts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

One of my favorite things about Sekiro is that leading up to the game's release they said that Patches wasn't going to be in it. For those of you who don't know Patches is a character in all From Software games who deceives players by telling them some treasure is somewhere, only to have Patches kick the player off a cliff when they go investigate.
I was sad about him not being in the game but then I found this dude covered in patched up clothes wearing an eye patch

He's right about the treasure, though. Although you have to beat a really tough dude to get it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

He's right about the treasure, though. Although you have to beat a really tough dude to get it.

also, you will probably get kicked to death by following his advice, just by a different guy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

One thing I like about Metro Exodus is that when fighting guys if you kill enough the rest will eventually give up.

In Fallout 3 the Talon Mercenaries will run away if they realize that the fight is going badly for them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Reminds me how surrendering enemies was also a feature they marketed Skyrim with, but in the final version after pleading for a bit all enemies just stand back up and go NEVER SHOULD HAVE COME HERE and attack you all over again until you kill them so it means literally nothing.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Reminds me how surrendering enemies was also a feature they marketed Skyrim with, but in the final version after pleading for a bit all enemies just stand back up and go NEVER SHOULD HAVE COME HERE and attack you all over again until you kill them so it means literally nothing.

Very, very rarely they’ll just stumble away instead of continuing to fight you. And when I say “rarely” I mean “I’ve seen it twice in the 100+ hours I’ve probably put in the game,” but I have seen it.

Once it was one of those highwaymen who stop you on the road who ended up limping away muttering “no amount of gold is worth this” after the fight, I let him get away and he never came back. The other was a bandit chief who I started to let get away but then realized I needed a key from him for a quest so I finished him off.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The other was a bandit chief who I started to let get away but then realized I needed a key from him for a quest so I finished him off.

Probably would have been easier to just kill him

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you shot the gun out of enemies weapons in Perfect Dark they would raise their hands and surrender

Eventually they would get a sidearm and go back to killing, but it was neat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Samuringa posted:

If you shot the gun out of enemies weapons in Perfect Dark they would raise their hands and surrender

Not only that but I'm positive it was possible to run up behind a guard and jab your gun into his back and he would drop his gun and put his hands up, they even have dialogue asking you to not shoot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

Not only that but I'm positive it was possible to run up behind a guard and jab your gun into his back and he would drop his gun and put his hands up, they even have dialogue asking you to not shoot.

I never knew about this :stare:.

...My gun!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Leal posted:

I think you had to do the disarm melee attack, or that could cause it as well.

Perfect Dark was full of awesome little stuff.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

fartknocker posted:

I think you had to do the disarm melee attack, or that could cause it as well.

Perfect Dark was full of awesome little stuff.

You could shoot the gun.

Best was them continuing their animation after you broke their thumbs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Perfect Dark was great and had some amazing AI that is made all the better off the fact it was made on a nintendo 64. Guards surrender, sometimes they'll pull out 5 guns from their pockets, but often they'll just gently caress off and hide. They BS with one another, while standing guard they'll scratch their butts... Why is rear end scratching never done in modern games? Everyone scratches their rear end. Politicians, bankers, janitors, especially fast food employees, all scratch their rear end. They do it when they think no one is watching, but Joanna is. She is there, she sees everything.

And then there is the combat simulator AI who each have different personalities. Pacifist sims run around and grab up all the weapons so no one can use them, coward sims will run from people with good weapons but will try to take cheap shots at people who have their backs to them or weaker weapons. Prey sims go after the player with the lowest score, judge sims go after the player with the highest score. Feud Venge sims go after whoever killed them last, even if it was a teammate. Feud sims will randomly choose a player and only go after them the entire round.

Making AI that does anything more then rush the player while shooting them? Pft, thats what online multiplayer is for!

Leal has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Mar 31, 2019

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Leal posted:

Perfect Dark was great and had some amazing AI that is made all the better off the fact it was made on a nintendo 64. Guards surrender, sometimes they'll pull out 5 guns from their pockets, but often they'll just gently caress off and hide. They BS with one another, while standing guard they'll scratch their butts... Why is rear end scratching never done in modern games? Everyone scratches their rear end. Politicians, bankers, janitors, especially fast food employees, all scratch their rear end. They do it when they think no one is watching, but Joanna is. She is there, she sees everything.

And then there is the combat simulator AI who each have different personalities. Pacifist sims run around and grab up all the weapons so no one can use them, coward sims will run from people with good weapons but will try to take cheap shots at people who have their backs to them or weaker weapons. Prey sims go after the player with the lowest score, judge sims go after the player with the highest score. Feud Venge sims go after whoever killed them last, even if it was a teammate. Feud sims will randomly choose a player and only go after them the entire round.

Making AI that does anything more then rush the player while shooting them? Pft, thats what multiplayer is for!

Given my job and the reality of modern multiplayer, I don't think I'll ever come close to putting in as many hours into a game as I put into Perfect Dark with my brothers.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Leal posted:

You could do this in Peace Walker with any gun, including a banana

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

The stormtroopers in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy did that as well. Those games were pretty great in general.

Kanfy posted:

Just like the dudes in the original Rise of the Triad from 1995.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tiggum posted:

My first Yakuza was 0 and I suffered through it by not understanding the combat upgrade system well enough.

I may have overcorrected, because now I'm on my first run of Kiwami, I'm still on the final chapter with full abilities and 9999 unspendable XP, since pretty much cheaper 11.

I still haven't taken on Nishiki.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Splinter Cell: It's nice to hear that the First Lady is telling the children to share and wash their hands. Proper hygiene is important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Keys in Jedi Outcast were always held by officers, and the particular officer who held a key could never be disarmed, so you’d always have to fight them. They’d also could only be knocked down, but never moved out of position, so you’d never lose one down a pit.