Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The A12x25? Worth every penny.

I'd still like a Chromax version tho, or whatever the black Noctuas are called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
:ughh:
This conversation is distressing because I just swapped my case and radiator fans with chromax 140mm because a couple of my Vardars were starting to squeak.

Granted, the chromax fans I got are significantly quieter at all levels than the vardars while they perform about the same (within 1C) at load, so I guess I can live with it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

:ughh:
This conversation is distressing because I just swapped my case and radiator fans with chromax 140mm because a couple of my Vardars were starting to squeak.

Granted, the chromax fans I got are significantly quieter at all levels than the vardars while they perform about the same (within 1C) at load, so I guess I can live with it.
Noctua have taken like three quarters of a year or more to release some of the stuff they showed at last year's Computex so not giving Noctua the benefit of the doubt when it comes to delivering new products is the sane decision.

I still don't understand how the U12A came out of nowhere, and why they didn't want to offer it in black.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

The A12x25? Worth every penny.

Yeah, the one with the very tight blade tolerances, that are both made from a new compound, and look like gentle typhoons

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 30, 2019

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I just cut my hand on a DH15 when I tried to replace my dead 2080ti. I'll jam the replacement into the 8x slot and just eat the 3% performance loss. :homebrew:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Media Bloodbath posted:

I just cut my hand on a DH15 when I tried to replace my dead 2080ti. I'll jam the replacement into the 8x slot and just eat the 3% performance loss. :homebrew:
Did the same on my D14, what up buddy.

Same reason I kinda want to go with the U12A instead of the D15-whatever. It's just a royal pain to fiddle with stuff and take out the GPU.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Media Bloodbath posted:

A libation should be offered. If this sequence is properly observed the machine may be brought to full activation by depressing the large panel marked "ON".

:commissar:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ask me how I destroyed a Noctua 200mm and a Bitfenix 200mm within five minutes of opening their packaging before succeeding to not piss away money on the second Noctua.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A12x25 is an unashamed Gentle Typhoon clone, so you can save ten bucks each and get GTs for near identical performance.

Noctua themselves only quote a difference of .2-.3c noise matched, which is probably entirely the bearings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, I needed a "new" machine for running my VM lab at home, so I ended up finding a SuperMicro quad G34 board and 4 x 16 Core AMD 6000 series CPUs.

It works great, ended up buying 128GB of ECC DDR3R 16GB for $200 on ebay, the only issue I ran into was Xen failing to identify the NICs installed, and by that I mean it identified them, installed the drivers, and then disabled the cards before the installer kicked off, leaving it to claim there was not NICs.

Ended up manually enabling them and it installed perfectly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ask me how I destroyed a Noctua 200mm and a Bitfenix 200mm within five minutes of opening their packaging before succeeding to not piss away money on the second Noctua.

Okay, how the gently caress did you do that?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I was holding off from a 6600k upgrade until Zen 2 but after yet another issue with a current gen game I decided to just say gently caress it. Got a 2600x on the weekend and even if I only use it until end of the year, definitely worth it. I didn't realize the extent my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU (GeForce 1080) but all of my issues with stuttering and etc are gone now.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

CommieGIR posted:

So, I needed a "new" machine for running my VM lab at home, so I ended up finding a SuperMicro quad G34 board and 4 x 16 Core AMD 6000 series CPUs.

It works great, ended up buying 128GB of ECC DDR3R 16GB for $200 on ebay, the only issue I ran into was Xen failing to identify the NICs installed, and by that I mean it identified them, installed the drivers, and then disabled the cards before the installer kicked off, leaving it to claim there was not NICs.

Ended up manually enabling them and it installed perfectly.

How much power does that thing use? My dual 1366/5520 chipset board with two Xeon X5670s and 6x8GB DDR3R in it sits around 180W just idling (and around double that running Prime95) which makes me more inclined to sell it than take it home if I ever decide to stop using it at the office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Eletriarnation posted:

How much power does that thing use? My dual 1366/5520 chipset board with two Xeon X5670s and 6x8GB DDR3R in it sits around 180W just idling (and around double that running Prime95) which makes me more inclined to sell it than take it home if I ever decide to stop using it at the office.

At full load, with 2 x 1200w @ 120v redundant PSUs, its hovering around 350 watts, but its rated at 850 watts if all cores are hammering away.

I also have an IBM Bladecenter with 4 x LS41 AMD Opteron quad blades but thats 2 x 2000w @ 230v, so it actually draws a little less current.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 1, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

The Gunslinger posted:

I was holding off from a 6600k upgrade until Zen 2 but after yet another issue with a current gen game I decided to just say gently caress it. Got a 2600x on the weekend and even if I only use it until end of the year, definitely worth it. I didn't realize the extent my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU (GeForce 1080) but all of my issues with stuttering and etc are gone now.

Which current gen game was that?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

spasticColon posted:

Which current gen game was that?

Far Cry 5, AC: O, certain areas of Apex Legends, BF V, Division 2 and I'm sure others I haven't had time to test yet. I saw huge improvements in Far Cry 5 and BF V especially, no more stuttering or hitching. I was worried about it being a waste with Zen 2 in a few months but I decided I will just upgrade whenever I feel like it and toss the 2600x in my file server.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Far Cry 5, AC: O, certain areas of Apex Legends, BF V, Division 2 and I'm sure others I haven't had time to test yet. I saw huge improvements in Far Cry 5 and BF V especially, no more stuttering or hitching. I was worried about it being a waste with Zen 2 in a few months but I decided I will just upgrade whenever I feel like it and toss the 2600x in my file server.

I'm so glad I have no desire to play any of those games because I'm still on a 2500k and waiting for Zen 2. I do want to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it finally comes out but I'll have a new system by then.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

There's a chance zen3 will support am4. Zen3 is supposed to be next year and another zen2-tier upgrade. This is heavy speculation at this point.

Anyway, 2600x is super tempting with the firesale prices right now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

spasticColon posted:

I'm so glad I have no desire to play any of those games because I'm still on a 2500k and waiting for Zen 2. I do want to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it finally comes out but I'll have a new system by then.

I'm having troubles with Sekiro which is a game I didn't expect to have issues with due to my 1080ti but it's dropping frames since I'm on an i5-3550. It'll drop to around 50 fps in some situations. Any OBS software streaming drops it to 40ish fps most of the time and alt-tabbing while the game is running slows chrome down a lot.

I'm very tempted to just drop $420-$450ish on a 2600x, mobo, and ram and reuse everything else but I'm still trying to wait for Zen2.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MagusDraco posted:

I'm having troubles with Sekiro which is a game I didn't expect to have issues with due to my 1080ti but it's dropping frames since I'm on an i5-3550. It'll drop to around 50 fps in some situations. Any OBS software streaming drops it to 40ish fps most of the time and alt-tabbing while the game is running slows chrome down a lot.

I'm very tempted to just drop $420-$450ish on a 2600x, mobo, and ram and reuse everything else but I'm still trying to wait for Zen2.
Sekiro seems to have some issue with loading new map data or something. I don't recall FPS issues during fights, but it's very noticeable when you transition between areas. I don't know whether it's an issue on the CPU/GPU side, and it's not for lack of memory and SSD storage. I think it might have been Digital Foundry who also talked about it.

Streaming issues makes more sense based on your CPU, though, just don't expect stuttering to disappear completely.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ufarn posted:

Sekiro seems to have some issue with loading new map data or something. I don't recall FPS issues during fights, but it's very noticeable when you transition between areas. I don't know whether it's an issue on the CPU/GPU side, and it's not for lack of memory and SSD storage. I think it might have been Digital Foundry who also talked about it.

Streaming issues makes more sense based on your CPU, though, just don't expect stuttering to disappear completely.

Yeah I know about the stuttering issues. This was more "walk into the Bull bossfight and approach the bull before it breaks out and the framerate dropped to the 50s til most the physics objects are inactive.

edit: I'm more making upgrade decisions on "Oh wow I finished it but Metro Exodus ran kinda bad sometimes even on the high preset even though it should run well on ultra with a 1080ti" and "...I guess I do want to play AC:O sometime" along with "wow BF1 ran like rear end a couple years ago but I guess I stopped caring about battlefield since none of my friends play it anymore so no big loss"

edit 2: Though yeah at this point most games are still fine with the 3550. I partly wanna upgrade just because and partly "huh the 3550 nearly cooked itself when the fan started to fail and I didn't realize it for an hour or so"

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 1, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Do not make upgrade decisions based on a FromSoftware game, ie the guys who needed modders to make their previous games work properly on PCs.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Enable retpoline if you haven't already. Requires Windows 10 1809. It helped with my 3770, less hitching and lower CPU usage.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

pofcorn posted:

Enable retpoline if you haven't already. Requires Windows 10 1809. It helped with my 3770, less hitching and lower CPU usage.

Yeah I recently did that and it certainly helped some with Metro Exodus.

edit: My other consideration for waiting on Zen2 is because I'm running around with a 2560x1440@144hz gsync monitor so Zen2's (hopefully) faster single-threaded performance would be nice.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

MagusDraco posted:

Yeah I was getting random rear end stuff like this in most non-indie games so I eventually caved. 2-3 more months of misery vs just upgrading now and thankfully I can just dump in a Zen 2 CPU later if its worthwhile at that point. With these prices I couldn't resist, its great bang for the buck.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What improvements are expected for the 5X0 motherboards? What's the advantage over buying a cheap X370 for Ryzen 2?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

We don’t know much other than PCIe 4.0 so far. It’s more about AMD taking the chipset back in house it seems. Also which x370 board you theoretically get will matter, because they will need BIOS updates.

Speaking of Zen2, the board partners have engineering samples which means the leaks have started. A 4/8 engineering sample with 3.4 base and 3.8 boost clocks spotted leaked by MSi: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen-3000-series-matisse-msi-meg-x570-creation,38967.html

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Wasn't Matisse the APU codename?

Edit: Ah thanks, I was confusing it with Picasso

Icept fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 2, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
That would be Renoir https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/cores/renoir

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cygni posted:

We don’t know much other than PCIe 4.0 so far. It’s more about AMD taking the chipset back in house it seems. Also which x370 board you theoretically get will matter, because they will need BIOS updates.

Oh I thought there had been more info on expected features.

quote:

Speaking of Zen2, the board partners have engineering samples which means the leaks have started. A 4/8 engineering sample with 3.4 base and 3.8 boost clocks spotted leaked by MSi: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen-3000-series-matisse-msi-meg-x570-creation,38967.html
If this is true then the prior leaks were false since those showing 6/12 as the lowest end CPUs.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I didn't see it mentioned here, but it looks like Lisa Su is delivering the first Computex keynote, which is pretty cool. Hopefully it's less of a disappointment than the CES one.

Also also, some folks are saying the 3000 series delay is due to chipset issues. I wonder if it was a bigger hassle to swap from Asmedia to in house than they expected.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now I'm getting this feeling that the 8C/16T Zen 2 CPUs will probably start at ~$400 and who knows how much a decent X570 board will cost. A 2600X or 2700X build is looking more and more tempting.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 2, 2019

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm banking on ~15% overall single thread uplift from Zen to Zen2 which tips it in favor of spending the extra $ for more longevity. I don't think 8/16 parts will start that high but anything beyond that (2 chiplet), if ever, would be very pricey indeed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm getting their highest-clocked 8/16 part, a PCIE 4.0 board, and rolling with that for 5-8 years.

I could probably have done that with either 1000 or 2000 and stepped up at any point, but there's something to be said for cache coherency, and the memory controller being on its own die is more acceptable than the prior two-dies, each with their own memory controller approach.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm gonna wait. It's still coming out in July right?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chas McGill posted:

I'm gonna wait. It's still coming out in July right?

There has never been a date given, that and the previous "leaked" specs are all wild speculation.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nobody knows yet, the best we've got is AMD saying "mid year" and Su having the first keynote at Computex on May 27th.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Probably a dumb question, but are Virtual Box disk images CPU agnostic?

Will an image created with an Intel CPU run on Ryzen or does it need to be adapted in some way?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mcbexx posted:

Probably a dumb question, but are Virtual Box disk images CPU agnostic?

Will an image created with an Intel CPU run on Ryzen or does it need to be adapted in some way?

Disk images are indeed CPU agnostic. You do not need to modify the disk image or the OS installed on it just because you're running VirtualBox on a different machine, barring some edge cases with older OSes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thinkin about it, I wonder if AMD would limit the 16 core/2 CPU die parts to X570 for the same reasons Intel had with Coffee Lake? AM4+?