Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

meatpimp posted:

Indeed, but it's an AWD turbo wagon, just with a warranty and better than BMW reliability... :shrug:

I really like the look of the new Insignia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

meatpimp posted:

I think the entire car is a rebadged-and-shipped Opel Insignia wagon.

It is. Co worker just bought one. They’re super nice.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I've got $6500 in the car. I'll be listing it for either $7800 or $8200, depending on how I feel at the time. I should be able to get $7k pretty easily. Goon price a little less. It is a 3-owner, service documented car with no repaints, looks really good and is fast as balls. I think it'll sell.

Unless you sell to a goon or someone who makes you an offer you can’t refuse, would you mind hanging on to whatever spares/diagnostic stuff for [selling to] me? I have a feeling I have some work to do.

I’m tentatively picking up the e61 on the weekend before tax day.

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 30, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

glyph posted:

Unless you sell to a goon or someone who makes you an offer you can’t refuse, would you mind hanging on to whatever spares/diagnostic stuff for [selling to] me? I have a feeling I have some work to do.

Gotcha.

Good news / bad news day for cars. I finally got the Avalon into the garage to see where the brake fluid was coming out. No luck on a stupid rubber line, of course it has to be from a hard line. I'm going to compression fitting a patch in. At least there's some room to work where it's busted. (Edit: gently caress it, I pulled out my flare tools, I'll fix it the right way. :( )

Good news is that Steve the transmission guy said that when he dropped the pan of the Escalade, it looked good with no clutch material. So, he put some higher pressure solenoids in and slapped her back together. Hopefully that gets me a while longer, but as soon as I sell the BMW, that one's probably next... it's time to change cars around.

Also in the mix is my wife's Juke. We've had that for almost 5 years and, other than my long-term Miata that I had for almost 10 years, this is the longest we've ever had a car.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 3, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My xB is currently the longest I have ever had a car because of severe Automotive ADD, but honestly this car does everything pretty well and I don't see selling it any time soon. Just got the TRD shocks and springs for it so now it will be even more fun to drive.

Still want to get a cheap Wrangler eventually to get my toy fix :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I'm going to compression fitting a patch in. At least there's some room to work where it's busted. (Edit: gently caress it, I pulled out my flare tools, I'll fix it the right way. :( )

Thank you for not being Scotty Kilmer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So does TRD make anything for a 2nd gen Avalon? Will the Camry supercharger kit work? :getin:

I may have one of these land barges in my garage soon. Without any rust.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Supposedly have a deal on the BMW with pickup Tuesday. We'll see. :toot:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

STR posted:

So does TRD make anything for a 2nd gen Avalon? Will the Camry supercharger kit work? :getin:

I may have one of these land barges in my garage soon. Without any rust.

Probably, but good luck finding one. I remember looking out of curiosity back when my wife had her 1MZ Camry, like 10 years ago, and they were impossible to find even then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was only slightly serious with that post. It'd be awesome to find one, but from what I understand they don't play nice with the dual throttle body 1MZs anyway. :sigh:

And I suspect I'd be replacing a transmission pretty quickly if I went that way. It firms up decently on WOT shifts with stock power, but I'd imagine it'd need a little love before dealing with that kind of power.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The motherfucking BMW is gone. That bastard lived rent-free in my head for a year. It was a blast to drive, but man, for every bit of joy, it took it out in random threats of profound failure. Godspeed, new BMW owner.

Plus, accounting for every piece purchased, I still made $1k on the thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Funny how owning a German luxury car parallels ownership of a boat.....Happiest days of ownership is when you buy it, then when you sell it :v:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Pretty much exactly how I felt about my '01 330Ci - easily my favorite of every car I've owned, but holy poo poo the amount of random failures and nonsense that just straight up didn't even exist on most other cars was exhausting.
Definitely glad when I sold it, but I still miss it 7 or so years later.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you just have to adopt a kind of zen state. live in the moment. nothing is broken right this second so everything is good.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Same as my '02 325 ci. Only one 24 hour period of ownership in two years where something wasn't wrong with it in some way. Awesome car to drive, terrible car to own.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you just have to adopt a kind of zen state. live in the moment. nothing is broken right this second so everything is good.

That's where I tried to be, and it was great in the winter, and nothing broke. But it's getting warmer and the AC was barely cool last year and would be an issue, and it had a new tapping sound in the motor, and there was the whole BSD subsystem issue, and the rear defrost didn't work, which meant that the harness to the tailgate was going out (another common failure) PLUS the glass hatch stopped opening two nights ago, so that harness has to be cack, plus the exxon valdez oil leak that would have required the front subframe to drop, including all of the front drivetrain, plus...

So, no more high-mileage and deferred maintenance BMWs. I don't think the mileage was as much of an issue as the deferred maintenance. As much as I did, I wasn't making any progress in making the list shorter. You really need to fix BMW poo poo as it happens, not "sometime."

BloodBag posted:

Awesome car to drive, terrible car to own.

Truth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah i am finding that a liberal application of preventative maintenance parts and time and also money to the shop when it's poo poo I can't be bothered to do is the only thing sustaining that attitude

and at times it's very difficult

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BMW maintenance needs only seems to accelerate as the car ages. My wife's mini has a cracking water pump pulley, that's right, they rubber coated the water pump pulley for reasons. The serp belt is cracking. The right front wheel bearing is really grumbly. There's now a rattle from the front suspension that I suspect is swaybar bushings that requires a loving subframe drop to fix :argh: The washer pump has stopped switching to spray the tailgate glass. It's only 6 years old and I already fear it. I wish she'd let me replace it with a cheap econobox. My 2002 protege had less sunroof issues than my stupid 2002 bmw did. If mazda can move a piece of glass more reliably than a company that bills itself as luxury, someone done hosed up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The buyer is happy with the car. He emailed me and was wondering about how the HVAC distribution worked with the iDrive settings.

I answered him and the only thing in my head was a Hunter S. Thompson line from Fear and Loathing:

quote:

You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

So what are you buying to replace it? :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Grakkus posted:

So what are you buying to replace it? :v:

I don't know yet. My wife's Juke is going to be replaced soon, not because there's anything wrong, but because we've had it for almost 5 years, which is an unheard of length here. Whether I do that now or not is up for debate.

Also up for debate is what happens with the Escalade. The transmission seems to be fine, so if that continues, it may or may not go away.

In other news, I was in Hawaii last month. They have a local specialty that I'd never heard of before. It makes poutine look like health food. I present to you the Loco Moco. Each place has its own twist, but basically it is a breakfast dish consisting of a bed of white rice, topped with a hamburger, covered with brown gravy then everything is topped with a fried egg.

The particular iteration had a bed of fried rice, topped with corned beef hash, then a hamburger, then the gravy and fried egg. It was ridiculously good and I'm hungry for one right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I had to skip lunch due to running around like a lunatic and trying to squeeze in work between all the errands. So you, goon sir, are a right bastard for posting that. I want. Bad.

I also found my old LGT turn up on a used car lot just the other day. If it wasn't for the fact that we're already locked in on a new civic this weekend, I might have been able to convince the better half to jump back into the LGT instead. Sigh.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

The only thing I miss from that place is the gas station Spam musubi. Current status: drooling.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is literally the first thing I had to eat after we landed in Hawaii. poo poo is gooooooood.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Loco mocos are amazing, there's a place (or more than one for all I know) that makes them with pork tonkatsu and they're just as good if not better, but probably even less healthy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

glyph posted:

You still on for this weekend? I need to laugh at someone else's E61 pain (other than the new owner of mine).

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

All this hawaiian food talk has be searching for locations of L&L here on the mainland. There's one near Fort Drum in the nutty lake effect snow totals part of NY? WTF? Obv, not the ideal loco moco, but WAY better than nothing. (UH Manoa, 2001-2003, whattup)

meatpimp posted:

You still on for this weekend? I need to laugh at someone else's E61 pain (other than the new owner of mine).

It's been kicked back a few weekends because of things largely out of my control- coordinating schedules with an oft-out of town family member, Easter, the better 7/8 is moving her practice at the end of the month, I have to move out of my bicycle fixin' garage by the end of the same month, I haven't even checked if uHaul has a trailer available...

However, I've made my commitment to taking this off his hands and we're both 100% in. It'll be here in upstate NY by mother's day come hell or high water.

Oh, and as an aside, that manual sedan on Copart (I watched the auction close) went for $2400.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 12, 2019

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Loco moco is spanish for crazy booger.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hi thread, you're my E/N outlet today.

By almost any objective metric, I have a pretty awesome life. I've got a nice big house, an honestly wonderful wife, good kids, a dog, no particular money problems, and so on. I've got three cars (which is better than four cars, because the fourth was an E61). I've got almost a dozen bikes (pedal, not bieks) and a ton of random wealth-showing physical items.

Yet, I fall back to the immortal words of Big Boi when he says "Boo, I got a back up plan to the back up plan / To back up my back up plan." I've got redundancies built into most things in the house. gently caress, I've got a spare igniter, flame sensor and exhaust fan sitting next to the furnace, who loving does that? And even then I need a backup plan for my backup plan's backup plan.

The Avalon has been down for a couple months with a hard brake line leak. I'm going to fix it, but that entailed pulling out my flare tools. I haven't taken them out of the tool box since the mid '90s, when I tried to use them and couldn't get them to grip the brake line, every time it kept pushing the brake line backwards instead of flaring it. Back then, I just said "gently caress it," crimped the brake line hard and drove the loving car to California with only one brake caliper (I'll finish that story later, I said I would).

So I tried the flare tool again, with a lifetime more experience than I had last time I used them. And I cranked the brake line down (just using scrap nicopp line) and the same thing happened. I cranked the fitting hand tight, then went a full turn tighter with tools and it kept sliding out. Finally I actually looked at the tool... I got it at an Autozone used tool sale... and saw that the 3/16 hole had been used so much the ridges to hold the tube were worn smooth. It was a tool failure, not me. :sigh:

I ordered a new flaring tool and I have that on the bench, I just haven't gotten to do the repair.

But until I fix it, the Avalon is down.

So then I went through the transmission issue with the Escalade last month. It had a couple random no-starts after I got it back, but after running the gearshift up and down a couple times allowed it to start. I was thinking it was a transmission switch problem. As developed over the weekend, though, I don't think that's the case. I get a strong click from the solenoid, but then no starter engagement. I don't see any reason or way that the starter wouldn't engage if the solenoid is getting power to click... so I've got a new starter on order.

But until I fix it, the Escalade is down.

I've got a dozen bikes in the garage... I didn't want to ride to work with bike shoes/clipless pedals, so the road bike and cross bike were out. The fixie has a dead tube, and it takes removing the fender and wheel and brakes to get it, so I've put that on the back burner, so it's out. The fat bike has flat tubeless tires (and the tubeless ended up being a pain in my rear end, so I'm putting tubes back in the damned thing) so for now the fat bike is out. The two mountain bikes haven't been off the wall in 3 years, so they'd take work before being ride-able. That left me one more option.

So I got that option out and the rear tire was fine, the front was flat. I went to pump it up and it developed a split in the valve stem. THANKFULLY, I had ONE spare tube on the shelf in an oddball size that fit. So I was able to ride it to work today. So... without further adieu, here's my ride to work today:

Edit: gently caress it, I'm adding a 1000w Bafang to my fat bike to add another level of backup.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 29, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

LOL holy poo poo. Of all the bikes I was imagining I wasn't even close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thread continues to deliver.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol. That one time when putting things off catches up to you. At least you didn’t have to call Uber :v:

Speaking of bikes the Surly I recently got has given me a new lease on life, it’s such a good bike that I’ve been riding more than I ever have in years. It’s like I’ve been on the search for the perfect bike forever and finally found it, my legs are aching this morning and I love it :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I was looking at bafangs on aliexpress and then I changed to craigslist. Found this thing 5 miles away from me for $450. Has 18 miles on it. He had it on a bike rack behind his car and got rear ended. Frame is tweaked and broke a weld at the bottom, other than that, it's perfect. Got it for $300.

https://www.juicedbikes.com/pages/cityscrambler

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Does that Escalade have the motor (Northstar?) where the starter is in the "valley" underneath the intake manifold?

Had a guy nearly yell at my brother-in-law who insisted the guy needed an intake manifold gasket to go with his starter replacement on one. Thought he was an idiot parts counter boy. Reluctantly, I'd hope, he later came back to buy the gasket.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Escalades invariably use slightly hotrodded versions of whatever the chevy truck of the day has, in this case an LQ9. Starter's on the passenger's side, right in front of the crank sensor so that you inadvertently smash it when changing the starter out and get to listen to your brand new starter endlessly crank a now-completely-dead engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkMartial posted:

Does that Escalade have the motor (Northstar?) where the starter is in the "valley" underneath the intake manifold?

Had a guy nearly yell at my brother-in-law who insisted the guy needed an intake manifold gasket to go with his starter replacement on one. Thought he was an idiot parts counter boy. Reluctantly, I'd hope, he later came back to buy the gasket.

NumbersMatching320 already nailed it (usually a 6.0 truck motor), but...

The Northstar was never used in any trucks, and AFAIK, was never used (from the factory) in any RWD applications, except for the supercharged version in the STS-V and XLR-V. Having driven them, I can say they just don't have the low end power that something as big as an Escalade needs. They have plenty of power, but they're a (relatively) smaller displacement DOHC V8, and as such, need a few RPMs to really put out the power.

The LQ9 just walks all over the Northstar when it comes to power, it's a shitload easier to work on (since it's basically a pushrod small block Chevy), and parts are cheaper (because SBC). The Northstar was a great engine (on paper) for its time, and very technologically advanced... but GM has put out some really fantastic pushrod motors over the years. I'm not even sure they currently make an OHC V8 - does anybody know? I'm fairly sure their only OHC motors are 4 bangers at the moment, but I haven't kept up.

And if you're careful, you don't need the intake gasket set. That's assuming you follow some forums and YouTube videos, and don't just dive in; also depends on the year model. You can have them done in a couple of hours if you're careful.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Escalades invariably use slightly hotrodded versions of whatever the chevy truck of the day has, in this case an LQ9. Starter's on the passenger's side, right in front of the crank sensor so that you inadvertently smash it when changing the starter out and get to listen to your brand new starter endlessly crank a now-completely-dead engine.

Thanks for this. I didn't know anything sensitive was in the area and I probably would have been pounding on it like a monkey. Any other tips for starter change? Looks like it's pretty simple other than getting the wires pushed back far enough to get the head of the starter into the flywheel space.

Yep. I've owned 2 Northstars and this LS. I had great luck with the Northstars, nice and strong, never gave me any of the stereotypical failures other than a water pump. The LQ9, though, is a beast. It moves this 5k pound truck with authority. It's hampered by a terrible transmission, though, that has nothing but wrong gears to pick from right in the middle of the speed/power band ratio where you want it.

Edit: Another day, another new ride in to work:

What do you think of that, glyph? How's your E61 glyph? glyph?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 30, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow great deal on the e-bike!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Wow great deal on the e-bike!

I thought so, too. I just talked with the company and a replacement frame is about $250 shipped. I think I'm just going to do that. I hammered the crank arm straight enough to turn and this thing RIPS. But doing almost 30mph I think I want to go legit with a non-cobbled-up frame. The part that has separated has already dislocated a couple thou with riding it that fast, so it will fail soon.

Either way, $550 for this as a complete bike is half of what I was looking to spend on a mid-mount system for my fat bike. Now that setup would have been even faster, but for the money, I'll ride this thing. Plus it's got a long seat so I can take my girl with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

The LQ9, though, is a beast. It moves this 5k pound truck with authority. It's hampered by a terrible transmission, though, that has nothing but wrong gears to pick from right in the middle of the speed/power band ratio where you want it.

This is very much #justgmthings right here. It seems like every automatic they use is parts binned to the point that it doesn't fit any one application properly, and almost always shifts too early. Even their manuals suffer considerably; the final drive in mine is just way too tall for the engine - 5th in mine is really useless below about 50, despite what the angry flashing of the upshift light may be trying to say (it wants me in 5th around 30, which drops me to about 1k... on a 2.2). If I keep it long enough to wear out the clutch, the HHR and Vue trans bolts right in with a shorter final drive (the trans on mine is already shot, 2nd gear synchro is pretty much dead unless I double clutch, and it occasionally pops out of 2nd).

At least tuning software can change the shift points enough to make it a lot better to drive, and a shift kit will firm it up enough that it'll actually last awhile (assuming no other parts go kaboom from the firmer shifts).