Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hellsau posted:

so are they gonna have that million dollar artifact tournament or what

Of course. Theres no way a company would do that, just lie on the internet. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Hellsau posted:

That probably explains the last hundred or so holdouts

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Hellsau posted:

They probably just forgot to cover that in the announcement.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

quote:

I'm going to be really upset if there are significant game design changes. This is the best card I've ever played and trying to make it more casually appealing would be, in my opinion, the defacement of a great piece of art.

Oh Reddit, never change.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Alright everyone, that’s a wrap, great job. Thanks for all the posts, let’s send this bad boy off to the goldmine

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hopefully they bury this piece of poo poo game in some unmarked grave in the desert

Emils katt
Jan 1, 2008
Hopeful they can fix it, I really enjoy the core game, the way the lanes interact, the decision making regarding which heroes to kill or let live. Yeah even parts of the economic model. Not too happy spending 50 bucks on the next HS expansion, but at least the death knights goes away right? Or is auto-chess the new hotness?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
eagerly awaiting the 2039 documentary where a bunch of people search for the hole in the desert valve buried all the copies of artifact in

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lets all revisit our favorite artifact memories. Mine was when the big first patch's main feature was you could make your cards talk.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
There's no coming back from this unless they completely reinvent the game and do something spectacular for all these early adopters; then again Valve would be better off putting those resources toward something that people are actually hyped about, like Half-Life 3.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Anarch posted:

There's no coming back from this unless they completely reinvent the game and do something spectacular for all these early adopters; then again Valve would be better off putting those resources toward something that people are actually hyped about, like Half-Life 3.

Is anyone still really hyped about Half-Life 3? I mean, I was once, but it kind of drained away after a decade of radio silence, and 'funny jokes' about Half-Life 3 existing followed by 'Nah, we'll never do Half-Life 3' and otherwise pretending it and basically Half-Life doesn't exist.

And also all those other games they got to '2' on and stopped.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just want Left 4 D3ad tbh.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kchama posted:

Is anyone still really hyped about Half-Life 3? I mean, I was once, but it kind of drained away after a decade of radio silence, and 'funny jokes' about Half-Life 3 existing followed by 'Nah, we'll never do Half-Life 3' and otherwise pretending it and basically Half-Life doesn't exist.

I suspect that there would be tons of hype around an announcement (or stone cold release) of HL3, if only because the game is a meme at this point. The same thing happened with Duke Nukem Forever. I suspect that either we'll just never hear of HL3 again and that'll be that, or we'll get it when / if Valve starts falling on harder times and they need a sure-hit to earn money/relevancy. While Valve obviously isn't in that position now, we are seeing more companies trying to make steam alternatives, and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually one of them succeeds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't think of any vapourware games that ended up releasing and being loved.

DNF was awful. TLG was good but didn't really find the cult following that SotC had and was a technical disaster. FFXV was just sort of fine. BG&E2 will almost certainly have nothing that fans of the original actually want.

Part of me does still look forward to playing HL3 one day though.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Don’t work there anymore :)

What publication do we need to avoid now?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Steve2911 posted:

DNF was awful. TLG was good but didn't really find the cult following that SotC had and was a technical disaster. FFXV was just sort of fine. BG&E2 will almost certainly have nothing that fans of the original actually want.

DOOM 4 is probably is the closest to it working out and thats only if you really stretch the definition of vapourware

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Team Fortress 2 I guess?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
haf lf life 2 card gayme

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

I just want Left 4 D3ad tbh.

turtle rock is making a new zombie co-op shooter again so you got your wish!

Steve2911 posted:

While I didn't really care much for it, I know a lot of people enjoyed FF15

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Kchama posted:

*raises hand*

I mean, I don't want it to blow anyone's socks off or answer questions or tie off plot threads. I'd be legit happy with a moderate title that was just "more" Half-Life, even if it ended in largely the sames places Episode 2 did. I'd even be ok with it being on Source and looking the same as previous episodes.

Those games were just enjoyable experiences I played through a few times each and with the time-lag from the last one to now I'd be well up for just "more" of that, with no real need to innovate or push envelopes. I guess it's a fix I've just not found in other games.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Most of the card games I like seem to die terrible deaths. Shardbound was strangled in the crib and Hex is currently braindead on life support until their contract with sony ends.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DrManiac posted:

Most of the card games I like seem to die terrible deaths. Shardbound was strangled in the crib and Hex is currently braindead on life support until their contract with sony ends.

What happened to Hex?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

so can all the stans in this thread admit the game was bad yet or what

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm still trying to get people on Reddit to admit the game doesn't have 20k players daily.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hellsau posted:

What happened to Hex?

Last I check they didn’t have enough money to pay tournament winners or their artist for the last set (which released over a year ago). Development on the single player/mmo half of the game has been pretty much halted for years and the devs have been silent for months.

A quick look at the steam forum has people complaining about support tickets being unsolved for half a year.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

DrManiac posted:

Last I check they didn’t have enough money to pay tournament winners or their artist for the last set (which released over a year ago). Development on the single player/mmo half of the game has been pretty much halted for years and the devs have been silent for months.

Funnily enough, they did the same thing with their previous game, the (quite good until then) World of Warcraft TCG, which is what made me skip Hex.

Going radio silent on the players is pretty par for course, but slow-rolling (and eventually stiffing entirely) prize payouts and artist commissions in order to keep the lights on for a few more months is a pretty dick move.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hellsau posted:

What happened to Hex?

They just never attracted that big of an audience, and new content released too slowly to hold on to the player base they had. What was there was good imo, but without a community and well paced releases there's really no draw for a game like that.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Moon Monster posted:

They just never attracted that big of an audience, and new content released too slowly to hold on to the player base they had. What was there was good imo, but without a community and well paced releases there's really no draw for a game like that.

Didn't they also took a long time to get going with updates promised during early access due to wotc sueing them?

Hex pve was kinda fun, and the game wasn't terrible. Sad that it never took off.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Didn't they also took a long time to get going with updates promised during early access due to wotc sueing them?

I'm sure that hurt, but the lawsuit was very much deserved.

The reason almost every other major TCG on the market has managed to copy 80%+ Magic's core rules without ever getting sued by WoTC is because they don't also:

-Copy a lot of the exact, granular details: 20 life, 7 card hand, 5 colors, etc. Part of the settlement was that they had to tweak some of these.
-Have 20+ cards that reeeeally stretch the definition of 'homage':

I kind of suspect the reason for these is that someone at Crypto was thinking they could cut development effort by riding the balance that had already been 'solved' in Magic.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The murder one is so egregious because like, just name it anything else!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Still loling that they called it Hex and then only had five factions

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The murder one is so egregious because like, just name it anything else!

The suit has a bunch more examples:
https://insight.rpxcorp.com/lit/wawdce-200735-wizards-of-the-coast-v-cryptozoic-entertainment#simple1

A couple of them are a stretch, but it's hard to argue it wasn't a pattern and easy to see why WoTC was pissed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

Still loling that they called it Hex and then only had five factions

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

so can all the stans in this thread admit the game was bad yet or what

I'm in the compromised position of having to admit I enjoyed the 60 hours I played of this game but that it's also pretty fundamentally flawed and lovely

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
dont cry because it's gone, laugh because it duped the part of our retard brains that spray the good chemical when we play slot machines.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I enjoyed Artifact and it seems I'll have to wait longer for new content. Controversial opinion I know.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Among all the other things the game did poorly, you could lose the tutorial games.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Funfact: the picture in the announcement is a hero in DOTA2 - Oracle with his ultimate skill False Promise.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

queef anxiety posted:

Funfact: the picture in the announcement is a hero in DOTA2 - Oracle with his ultimate skill False Promise.

aaaaaaa i love it i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Among all the other things the game did poorly, you could lose the tutorial games.

You can also lose those in Hearthstone too. Depends on how it was implemented, really (I forgot!)