Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do you ever fly a 757 sim when getting your 767 rating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Nope, I know exactly nothing about the 757.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I imagine you’d take a short differences course.

The cockpit is the same, so I imagine you’ll be able to start it and fly it and land it. It may not be pretty. I hear the 757 is even more of a rocket than the already peppy 767.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

rldmoto posted:

I think we've talked about this in the past? Maybe. I have a house near KSOP and kept my plane at BQ1.

Lumberton? BQ1? I have some family near those places. I was just there a month ago. If only I'd remembered we could've had a goon meet. I'll post in here next time I drive up there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

rldmoto posted:

I think we've talked about this in the past? Maybe. I have a house near KSOP and kept my plane at BQ1.

I’m in CLT because I hate myself.

It’s actually not bad location-wise, I can live in a city and go day hiking in the mountains or drive to the beach for the weekend. So basically the best thing about Charlotte is what you can do when you leave it.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
From the aisle, if it's a step up into the cockpit it's a 767, if it's a step down it's a 757, that's how you know what you're in.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 25, 2019

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Animal posted:

I imagine you’d take a short differences course.

The cockpit is the same, so I imagine you’ll be able to start it and fly it and land it. It may not be pretty. I hear the 757 is even more of a rocket than the already peppy 767.

The 767 handles better but the 757-200 is by far better performer. It wasn’t called the Atari Ferrari for nothing,

The 757-300 performs more similar to the 767.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two Kings posted:

The 767 handles better but the 757-200 is by far better performer. It wasn’t called the Atari Ferrari for nothing,

The 757-300 performs more similar to the 767.

I’ve still not seen a rendering or artists drawing of the 757-100 study...

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
What happens if you design a plane and nobody buys it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two Kings posted:

What happens if you design a plane and nobody buys it?

You get bought by Boeing.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

It’s actually not bad location-wise, I can live in a city and go day hiking in the mountains or drive to the beach for the weekend. So basically the best thing about Charlotte is what you can do when you leave it.

Is it really that bad? In a few months I'm going to start working for a major carrier with a substantial base in CLT. The one that used to have a patriotic name and now has a different patriotic name. I'm tired of living in the Midwest where the only 2 types of terrain are corn and soy so I'm looking to move. I'd rather not live in megacity one in the north east which pretty much leaves PHX and CLT (and LAX which I can't afford). I may just move to somewhere like Asheville and drive the 2 or so hours in to town once I'm off reserve.

MrYenko posted:

It looks like an a320 that's had a nose job.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

KodiakRS posted:

Is it really that bad? In a few months I'm going to start working for a major carrier with a substantial base in CLT. The one that used to have a patriotic name and now has a different patriotic name. I'm tired of living in the Midwest where the only 2 types of terrain are corn and soy so I'm looking to move. I'd rather not live in megacity one in the north east which pretty much leaves PHX and CLT (and LAX which I can't afford). I may just move to somewhere like Asheville and drive the 2 or so hours in to town once I'm off reserve.

Asheville is where the cool kids hippies live, RDU is where the cool kids hipsters live

(Asheville is cool)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Can confirm, Asheville is dope. I miss overnighting there.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

How is it to live in when you actually are there? Cause I was considering it because of the weather and the reasons you already mentioned plus direct flights to my birthplace from CLT

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

Bid Miami and you can buy MrYenko's pad when he moves to Anchorage. Keep the place in the Goon solar system.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

The 757 was originally supposed to be a t tail with wing mounted engines.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:thunk:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

can't post that emoji in relation to a Boeing product without one of the 767 concepts

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

a patagonian cavy posted:

can't post that emoji in relation to a Boeing product without one of the 767 concepts

Aww its baby is holding onto its back.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The old TWA overhaul base at KCI is kind of a treasure of old planes. Who knows what they're doing with them.

Anyway I was there a few days ago and there was one I didn't recognize. Please identify it based on this description

1) It looked a lot like a DC-9. Same configuration, etc. But, it was tiny. Not like RJ tiny, but it was next to a 737-200, and it was quite a bit smaller. I'd guess MTOW around 70-80,000 lbs?

2) It looked decidedly late 50s-early 60s. Sort of like that one French plane that is very pretty, except less pretty.

3) Its landing gear was very, very squat. Like, you couldn't see the strut on the nose gear.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fokker 28 or one of its derivatives?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bewbies posted:

The old TWA overhaul base at KCI is kind of a treasure of old planes. Who knows what they're doing with them.

Anyway I was there a few days ago and there was one I didn't recognize. Please identify it based on this description

1) It looked a lot like a DC-9. Same configuration, etc. But, it was tiny. Not like RJ tiny, but it was next to a 737-200, and it was quite a bit smaller. I'd guess MTOW around 70-80,000 lbs?

2) It looked decidedly late 50s-early 60s. Sort of like that one French plane that is very pretty, except less pretty.

3) Its landing gear was very, very squat. Like, you couldn't see the strut on the nose gear.

Westwind comes to mind, although not really like a DC9. I drove my MKC a couple weeks ago and they had an old Jetstar sitting out too. Neither of those are T-tails though

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BAC One-Eleven.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bewbies posted:

BAC-1-11?

E;fb.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

THIS IS THE ONE

what a weirdo plane

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

KodiakRS posted:

Edit:

Word on the street is that EASA is about to issue a grounding order for the max.

Did they just turn around passenger flights the moment the grounding came into effect?
Would it not have made sense to just let them continue?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Only catching up now but speaking of liveries a couple pages ago.
Checkout Aer Linguses new paint scheme. Apparently it' didn't go down so well at the revealing party. Something about looking more modern.

Old.

New

:frog:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Did they just turn around passenger flights the moment the grounding came into effect?
Would it not have made sense to just let them continue?

The airlines didn’t want their planes to be grounded outside of their home.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

dupersaurus posted:

The airlines didn’t want their planes to be grounded outside of their home.

Well that makes sense now doesn't it.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I've always thought it'd be cool as hell to live in a world in which airlines launch some wide-ranging artist collaboration kind of program where every aircraft has a unique artist-designed paintjob/livery. It'd be completely impractical, of course, and I imagine painting planes is not cheap, but it'd give a lot of identity to a form of travel which is usually seen as very boring and sterile.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Just watched the Blue Angels routine - pretty cool. I always liked airplanes as a kid and I like them more now as grown up... but the coolest part was watching my kid watch the airshow.

Here's to steering kids in the right direction!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Any of you guys fly in and out of KAPA? One of my buddies was stopping over on a time-building journey from CYBW-KISM and back, and after flying across the entire US and then halfway back, he says it was the most hosed, stressful airport he's ever dealt with :v:

EDIT: I'm going to have to ask him if, doing a trip across the entire loving US starting with under 100 hours total time, he had to include his GIANT BRASS BALLS on a separate line for the W&B.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 31, 2019

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Luneshot posted:

I've always thought it'd be cool as hell to live in a world in which airlines launch some wide-ranging artist collaboration kind of program where every aircraft has a unique artist-designed paintjob/livery. It'd be completely impractical, of course, and I imagine painting planes is not cheap, but it'd give a lot of identity to a form of travel which is usually seen as very boring and sterile.

I work for an airline that has a bunch of airplanes with liveries for various colleges, and at any given time I'm guessing that maybe 90% of them are running around with an engine cowl, rudder etc... that doesn't match the rest of the airplane.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

PT6A posted:

Any of you guys fly in and out of KAPA? One of my buddies was stopping over on a time-building journey from CYBW-KISM and back, and after flying across the entire US and then halfway back, he says it was the most hosed, stressful airport he's ever dealt with :v:

EDIT: I'm going to have to ask him if, doing a trip across the entire loving US starting with under 100 hours total time, he had to include his GIANT BRASS BALLS on a separate line for the W&B.

I did the second half of my primary training there. Given that the first half was at Y14, an airport that probably averages <10 movements a day, it was a hell of a culture shock. KAPA gets pretty loving busy for a GA-only* airport. I think I was in the pattern with 15 other people doing touch and goes one time. The controllers know what's up though and are great. I especially appreciate how well they handle all the student traffic. I have had to circle outside the class d waiting to get a word in, but once I did they got me into the pattern quick and easy. You're under Denver's B, so you've gotta be careful about that, and if you're departing north you've gotta be on top of your turn so you don't run into Buckley. There are several other airports near-ish, so overall the Denver area is pretty busy. On the other hand it's no LA, NYC, etc, etc. That made talking to Denver approach pretty intimidating for me at first, but I don't think they ever refused me flight following, so they're doing something right.

*The navy stops at JetCenter for gas sometimes. So I got spaced on approach for F-18s once, that was kinda neat. I have no idea why they don't go to Buckley all of 10 miles away from KAPA, but I'm sure it makes sense to someone somewhere.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I did a lot of my training out of there. It’s not bad once you get the hang of it, but yeah it’s one of the busiest GA airports in the country.

Did he go to perfect landing for lunch?

e: I was also going to buy you a Bortus smoking avatar today but someone beat me to it.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

PT6A posted:

When I was flying out of Denver for a couple months we decided to base out BJC instead of APA and I was pretty glad we did.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Slightly modified Sling 4 TSi (84 gallons of fuel) is flying across the US from KTOR to Tampa. Just about to clear Texas.

https://fr24.com/N135WT/1ffe4025

https://www.airplanefactory.com/aircraft/sling-tsi/

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Neat.

edit: I didn't mean that in a condescending way, I really think it's neat.

rldmoto fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Looks like he landed safely!

Pretty gutsy to go out over the gulf like that towards the end. Looks like he throttled back to 120kts for the last 2 hours.

1900nm on 84 gallons is impressive!

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 1, 2019