Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Well my last post looks like it came a bit early. Having a captain be basically manipulating the whole crew into adopting his universe’s moral standard over time and erode them to suit his purposes was pretty good. I do think this season would have been good as a standalone season in an anthology approach.

Doug Jones is really really great as Saru though

Also this season was made after someone locked themselves in a room to do mushrooms, while reading the DSM and listening to the main theme on repeat.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 30, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

by the end of DS9 I started wondering "why is there only one frequently visited parallel universe in this fictional multiverse, aside from the TNG one with all the Enterprise copies"

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
This document is without honor! Would you like to use a template ptagh!?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

galenanorth posted:

by the end of DS9 I started wondering "why is there only one frequently visited parallel universe in this fictional multiverse, aside from the TNG one with all the Enterprise copies"

i HAVE A THEORY that the mirror universe is somehow "close" to the prime trek universe but viewed along all four dimensions hence everything being so similar yet different at different times. obviously, after the initial hole was punched between them by kirk(s) lorca(s), similar reality jumps end up taking you there due to the principle of least action

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m pretty sure I read several authors use something similar to that as an excuse. In the Shatner-verse books the event that split the regular and mirror universe was a coin flip.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibayasu posted:

In the Shatner-verse books the event that split the regular and mirror universe was a coin flip.

That sounds about right for the Reeves-Stevenses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

That sounds about right for the Reeves-Stevenses.

There was another book where the entire galaxy and particularly mankind are a science experiment by the Preservers, and the Mirror Universe is the control group - what happens to the galaxy when the Preservers aren't interfering with everything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

I’m pretty sure I read several authors use something similar to that as an excuse. In the Shatner-verse books the event that split the regular and mirror universe was a coin flip.

Was the coin flip "heads I'm good, tails I'm eeeeeevil"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

galenanorth posted:

I still wanted an ep where they go to a mirror universe that seems by all accounts way better. Everyone is friends. Weyoun is known as the best hugger in the quadrant. Keiko and Miles have never known pain. Sisko plays baseball with his BFF, Dukat. Quark and Kira have 8 beautiful children.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

I still wanted an ep where they go to a mirror universe that seems by all accounts way better. Everyone is friends. Weyoun is known as the best hugger in the quadrant. Keiko and Miles have never known pain. Sisko plays baseball with his BFF, Dukat. Quark and Kira have 8 beautiful children.

But the universe has a dark secret, a horrible shame that no one must speak of that has paid for their eternal paradise.

Are you ready to uncover this disturbing truth?

ALLAMARAINE!

THIRD SHAP

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Pick posted:

I still wanted an ep where they go to a mirror universe that seems by all accounts way better. Everyone is friends.

If the Orville gets a third season they need to do this. I wanna see a universe where the Krill are famous for their generosity and kindness.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

S06E06 ("Riddles") is a fantastic Tuvok episode. I liked the moral about learning to accept Tuvok as the person he'd become instead of the person he was before the accident, how he drew a wavelength diagram in the icing on the cake, and "same actor plays a highly different character" episodes are always fascinating to watch

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Today is a good day to upgrade to Microsoft Office 365

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tighclops posted:

Note: real mounties are all but useless

Reminder: they had to change Fraser's uniform after the first season because the RCMP didn't want people to think the honourable, friendly, law-abiding, kind, intelligent, and dutiful character was actually a Mountie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Today is a good day to upgrade to Microsoft Office 365

The Battle of Wolf 365

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was gonna go back and edit that typo but I'm so glad I didn't

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching TNG episode First Contact. I've always loved this episode. The framing, music, and editing of Picard and Troi meeting the scientist for the first time was perfect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Reminder: they had to change Fraser's uniform after the first season because the RCMP didn't want people to think the honourable, friendly, law-abiding, kind, intelligent, and dutiful character was actually a Mountie.

I’m learning so much about that show with the wolf and the Mountie and the detective I barely watched but have so many (false) memories of.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

. Goddamn Control infecting my phone

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Also the uniform was tied wrong for the first few episodes until Leslie Nielsen came on as a guest star. His dad had been a Mountie and Nielsen was like good God what are you doing?

All the Nielsen episodes own

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know, there's no chance they're gonna do this any time soon, but watching DS9, there's a lot of potential in writing the Gamma quadrant post-Dominion. You see so many of them only a few times, but it'd be cool to see the Argrathi, the Keremma, etc. rise to power now that they no longer have to tip toe around or acquiesce to the Founders and Jem'Hadar.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Watching TNG episode First Contact. I've always loved this episode. The framing, music, and editing of Picard and Troi meeting the scientist for the first time was perfect.

Also it's lucky that Riker is such a horn dog that he doesn't seem bothered at being blackmailed into sex.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

like, imagine that Hanok took all his lessons from Quark and they spread like wildfire through their culture, and suddenly the Ferengi have to deal with people who can wheel and deal as well as they can but are better at being altruistic.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nodosaur posted:

You know, there's no chance they're gonna do this any time soon, but watching DS9, there's a lot of potential in writing the Gamma quadrant post-Dominion. You see so many of them only a few times, but it'd be cool to see the Argrathi, the Keremma, etc. rise to power now that they no longer have to tip toe around or acquiesce to the Founders and Jem'Hadar.

I'd like to think that race of Strong Bads went on a tear. Cordially invited the whole Gamma Quadrant to try to handle their style.

This is something you can totally attempt in the big New Horizons mod for Stellaris. It would be a tough road, but since the mod starts you in the early 2150s, a minor Gamma player might actually have a shot at preventing the Dominion from rolling over everyone in the region by the 24th century.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kibayasu posted:

I’m learning so much about that show with the wolf and the Mountie and the detective I barely watched but have so many (false) memories of.

I was sure for years that the theme tune was a Deacon Blue song.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Delsaber posted:

I'd like to think that race of Strong Bads went on a tear. Cordially invited the whole Gamma Quadrant to try to handle their style.

This is something you can totally attempt in the big New Horizons mod for Stellaris. It would be a tough road, but since the mod starts you in the early 2150s, a minor Gamma player might actually have a shot at preventing the Dominion from rolling over everyone in the region by the 24th century.

Remind me which one those are?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nodosaur posted:

Remind me which one those are?

These fine lads.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I always thought of them as the Dot Matrix aliens, since their face paint things looked like the tear-off edges of printer paper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

I always thought of them as the Dot Matrix aliens, since their face paint things looked like the tear-off edges of printer paper.

Greetings, fellow youth

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Having basically just rewatched Valiant in a spree of season 6 DS9 episodes, someone should have trolled the reboot writers' room at some point when they decided to have Enterprise commanded by a crew whose oldest officer is a 25 yo fratboy and just played the entire episode.

Also it makes me feel like Ira Behr really despised the whole starfleet brat poo poo for Wesley

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Having basically just rewatched Valiant in a spree of season 6 DS9 episodes, someone should have trolled the reboot writers' room at some point when they decided to have Enterprise commanded by a crew whose oldest officer is a 25 yo fratboy and just played the entire episode.

Also it makes me feel like Ira Behr really despised the whole starfleet brat poo poo for Wesley

Remember Red Squad's earlier appearance as being eager to commit treason when ordered to as part of a military coup?

I suppose that highlights why Starfleet is nervous enough about the Defiant to not openly call it a warship; it's made all too clear how military culture quickly leads down the same old bad paths.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember Red Squad's earlier appearance as being eager to commit treason when ordered to as part of a military coup?

I wasn't 100% sure the cadet played by the same actor was literally supposed to be the same guy (if he is, I figure this also means they did get some mild punishment if he's still a midship at this point while Nog is actually a real officer)

And yeah, I mean even in Homefront Sisko starts making pained frowns the minute Nog starts fanboying about the EliTe cAdEt sQuad

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

I said come in! posted:

That actress played a couple of different Romulan warbird commanders and the Mass Effect ship's doctor.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

I wasn't 100% sure the cadet played by the same actor was literally supposed to be the same guy (if he is, I figure this also means they did get some mild punishment if he's still a midship at this point while Nog is actually a real officer)

And yeah, I mean even in Homefront Sisko starts making pained frowns the minute Nog starts fanboying about the EliTe cAdEt sQuad

I know I mentioned this before either earlier in the thread or a previous one, but yes. Riley Shepard and others were part of Leyton's coup and yet still remained in Starfleet (and Red Squad didn't get disbanded). Consider instead that Nicholas Locrano was expelled from the Academy for trying to cover up the circumstances of a fellow cadet's accidental death, and when the producers and writers of Voyager considered bringing him back in the role that would eventually be Tom Paris, they decided to just make a completely new character with the same actor because "Locrano's crime is irredeemable and the viewers wouldn't buy the idea of him having any sort of redemption".

Lying about an accidental death in a training exercise is apparently worse than actual loving treason according to Berman, Braga, Moore, et. al.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 31, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Red Squad, I guess, has the extenuating circumstance that they were being ordered to commit treason by an admiral. Not sure if the Federation's big on "I was just following orders" though.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Fornax Disaster posted:

That actress played a couple of different Romulan warbird commanders and the Mass Effect ship's doctor.

She's a good actress, and I really liked her character in that episode. One of the examples of how the Federation welcomes everyone that wishes to be part of it, as individuals, like Nog or Worf, even if their species isn't, and a good tempering for some of the other too-cruel episodes, in that they aren't going to tell her to gently caress off when she requests asylum/to leave with them rather than being stuck on her dumb planet/probably being distrusted by her people in the future for being so willing to cooperate with aliens.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Paramount would have had to pay royalties to the episode writer to reuse the Locarno character. Building Paris from scratch was much cheaper, apparently.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Automatic Slim posted:

Paramount would have had to pay royalties to the episode writer to reuse the Locarno character. Building Paris from scratch was much cheaper, apparently.

Did B&B hate Moore that much at that point or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Probably not but execs are notorious penny pinchers to a ridiculous degree, especially when it comes to paying people