Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the only way an election is going to get called is if May blows her brains out on the commons floor and the billion shithead tories that rise up to seize the turd of leadership can't form a majority in the tory party let alone parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jazerus posted:

so just hypothetically, what if there are no votes to pass anything at all

can't dissolve government, can't brexit, can't not brexit, etc

entire country of England is disbanded, they have to start from scratch

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I brexit
You brexit
We all brexit

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Chokes McGee posted:

entire country of England is disbanded, they have to start from scratch

I'm almost 40, we've done that like twice in my life time. gently caress's sake, I can't be arsed this time, I'm just going to torch everything.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hexyflexy posted:

I'm almost 40, we've done that like twice in my life time. gently caress's sake, I can't be arsed this time, I'm just going to torch everything.

Ye Olde Death Crewe

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
honestly by this point if I was a Brit I'd just want a Brexit just to get it over with and start working on the next steps

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hexyflexy posted:

The election is an empty threat, she can't pull it off. Nothing has changed, and it'll fail the next time too.

Oh, lmao never mind then! let the brexit laughs continue!

Its incredible watching a country self destruct in slow motion. They can't pass anything, even no deal preparations they don't have time for. Its crashing out in 2 weeks and nothing on earth can stop it from happening. Even once they crash out, and things go pear shaped the government can't even collapse! Its extraordinary.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

staberind posted:

I used to occasionally read Private Eye but gave up because it got a bit depressing, however, now I try to avoide every and all forms of news because over the past 5 years politicians in this country have given up any pretense of attempting to govern the country, in favour of just shovelling cash into their pockets blatantly.

Ha ha ha. you make it sound like it was somehow accidental.

the initial plagues unleashed by the colonizers were accidental

The second, third, fourth, etc. were very deliberate

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

honestly by this point if I was a Brit I'd just want a Brexit just to get it over with and start working on the next steps
I still have a strong feeling that that's the one thing that Brits aren't gonna get. Imagine a cat standing half in and half out of a door forever.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm really proud of how Europeans have made Simpsons memes their own thing. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh, lmao never mind then! let the brexit laughs continue!

Its incredible watching a country self destruct in slow motion. They can't pass anything, even no deal preparations they don't have time for. Its crashing out in 2 weeks and nothing on earth can stop it from happening. Even once they crash out, and things go pear shaped the government can't even collapse! Its extraordinary.

the main thing holding the tory line is that nobody wants to take the blame for brexit, especially may(even though that's her entire job)

cameron meanwhile is laffing all the way to the bank

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you'll get lucky and the Vikings will conquer you again

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRSGSb7_L2Y

:eyepop:

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Literally based a Scion RPG game on brexit tonight
Can't leave england legally, therefore you can't leave england illegally
Parliament's authority completelydissolved due to someone stealing the mace
Inbred morons in the house of Lords being the only common sense
Everything leading towards Irish republicans being violent, purposeful, intelligent, and motivated

Much like the real world, the party fixed everything by slaying some mystical creatures and fleeing the country before things got worse

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

buy our shampoo so you can... get picked first for rape?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tom Guycot posted:

Nah, she's trying to set herself up as a supplier to the vikings, who were of course known for obsessing over their personal appearance and hygiene.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nah, she's trying to set herself up as a supplier to the vikings, who were of course known for obsessing over their personal appearance and hygiene.

Not sure if it's the joke but they literally were

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's amazing to me that the only part of British governance that hasn't turned out to be utterly useless in the face of a total shitshow is the Speaker of the House, and only because it is a position with the authority to shut down Theresa May belonging to a guy who hates her guts and knows how to hold a crowd.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

TheRZA, the JZZA, and the Goveface Killah
Old dirty farage

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tom Guycot posted:

was this campaign made by the same guy from Monty python who did conquistador coffee or something

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's amazing to me that the only part of British governance that hasn't turned out to be utterly useless in the face of a total shitshow is the Speaker of the House, and only because it is a position with the authority to shut down Theresa May belonging to a guy who hates her guts and knows how to hold a crowd.

he’s a deeply lovely human being

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like apparently medieval european aristocrats complained about how women were all swooning over the well groomed regularly bathing norsemen

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The current issue of Private Eye quotes a short but funny exchange between Bercow and one of his foes

Ian Hislop's rag posted:

Bercow has long known (and disliked) North Dorset's Tory backbencher Simon Hoare. The two knew each other years ago when Bercow was a raging right-winger equivocal about apartheid South Africa, and Hoare was markedly more liberal.

Bercow made it into the Commons in 1997, Hoare in 2015, and the speaker likes to remind "young Hoare" that he is a mere whippersnapper. In one of the recent EU withdrawal debates, Bercow silenced heckles from Hoare saying "I do not require any affirmation or contradiction from the honourable member for North Dorset. He has got to learn the ways of parliament." To which Hoare, distinctly, shouted: "Oh, gently caress off!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jel Shaker posted:

he’s a deeply lovely human being

Oh, I didn't mean to imply he wasn't. He just seems to be the only guy who is actually able to do his job without being hampered by the parliamentary process and/or his own incompetence.

Fake edit: lol, pro-apartheid. Of course.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PostNouveau posted:

If only.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the only way an election is going to get called is if May blows her brains out on the commons floor and the billion shithead tories that rise up to seize the turd of leadership can't form a majority in the tory party let alone parliament

Part of me wants to see how far a right-wing democracy can go toward dictatorship before liberals in other countries start calling for regime change (they never would)

looking forward to 2022, I guess

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like apparently medieval european aristocrats complained about how women were all swooning over the well groomed regularly bathing norsemen

Yeah they whined about Vikings getting all the women since Vikings combed their hair and bathed once a week.

https://cjadrien.com/2016/01/05/long-or-short-how-did-the-vikings-wear-their-hair/

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I still haven't forgiven the vikings for England, Russia and the US

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply he wasn't. He just seems to be the only guy who is actually able to do his job without being hampered by the parliamentary process and/or his own incompetence.

Everyone loves shouty speaker, the speaker who loves to shout!

20 years ago: We regret to inform you that the right honourable gentleman is a racist

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

rise up to seize the turd of leadership

BREXIT: Rise up to seize the turd of leadership

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This was back when they wanted Mandela hanged

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

to be fair he was like 20 at the time and went on to firmly distance himself from and apologise for his positions back then. During his time as an MP he seems to have been mostly on the sane side of things (unless I overlooked something?), even defying a three-whip order when he voted for a Labour proposal to let gay couples adopt children

I wonder if there are any Brexiteers who insist on calling him „Berkowitz“

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gaukler posted:

Everyone loves shouty speaker, the speaker who loves to shout!

20 years ago: We regret to inform you that the right honourable gentleman is a racist

UK Parliament just seems such much more hilarious than US Congress especially all the dry humor and use of backhand insults.

Especially all the events in which parties face off and spend a few hours just trolling each either then waiting for a rebuttal speech.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I think someone has already made a similar observation but it seems that the UK set up a fairly competent bureaucracy in the postwar period and then used their newfound time to just shitpost/host PMQs while inertia kept the government working. The job description went from “governing” to “opinion pieces” and respectable work for failsons. And now, a few generations on, the inertia is slowing down, some people have been actively trying to jam a wrench in it, and it’s heading for a cliff and since no one has had to actually govern for years MPs are only equipped to shitpost.

Same as in the US, really, though we never got anything cool like the NHS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gaukler posted:

I think someone has already made a similar observation but it seems that the UK set up a fairly competent bureaucracy in the postwar period and then used their newfound time to just shitpost/host PMQs while inertia kept the government working. The job description went from “governing” to “opinion pieces” and respectable work for failsons. And now, a few generations on, the inertia is slowing down, some people have been actively trying to jam a wrench in it, and it’s heading for a cliff and since no one has had to actually govern for years MPs are only equipped to shitpost.

Same as in the US, really, though we never got anything cool like the NHS.

Isn't this basically the typical 'triumph and rot' imperial pattern?

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't this basically the typical 'triumph and rot' imperial pattern?

Yeah I suppose the Roman Empire did pretty much the same thing and now everyone is just speedrunning Rome.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm not sure that's true. Like, we may hate them, but both Thatcher and Blair made some fairly fundamental changes to how the country works, and that's just the examples in my political lifetime.

Cameron's government was notable rather than typical for its journalism centred vacuousity.

tarbrush has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Mar 31, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

tarbrush posted:

I'm not sure that's true. Like, we may hate them, but both Thatcher and Blair made some fairly fundamental changes to how the country works, and that's just the examples in my political lifetime.

Cameron's government was notable rather than typical for its journalism centred vacuousity.

Yeah I'd put the point at around the 90s, when Thatcherism was accepted as just The Way Things Are Done - the whole Fukuyama end of history thing, where neoliberal technocracy was going to be the rule forevermore.

Unsurprisingly this led to said vacuous managerial-minded failson and daughter rule, since there was no longer any need for things like convictions and ideology and all that outdated crap.

Basically, as Mark Blyth sums up in under a minute...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Uo6FlMr9g

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah I'd put the point at around the 90s, when Thatcherism was accepted as just The Way Things Are Done - the whole Fukuyama end of history thing, where neoliberal technocracy was going to be the rule forevermore.

Unsurprisingly this led to said vacuous managerial-minded failson and daughter rule, since there was no longer any need for things like convictions and ideology and all that outdated crap.

Basically, as Mark Blyth sums up in under a minute...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Uo6FlMr9g

And probably no coincidence that we're hitting the point where a generation of young people have grown up their entire lives with politicians who don't even pretend to care about the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

That makes sense, I guess I was optimistically thinking that it couldn’t go to hell quite so quickly but here we are.