Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Finally went on a lightning deal, so I picked up a dash cam that seemed to have good reviews (Techmoan liked it at least and I tend to trust him)

Edit: now to figure out how to route the wiring in my Volt, that'll be fun

Endymion FRS MK1 has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Finally went on a lightning deal, so I picked up a dash cam that seemed to have good reviews (Techmoan liked it at least and I tend to trust him)

Edit: now to figure out how to route the wiring in my Volt, that'll be fun

I have that exact dash cam. No issues with it yet, though I seem to be cursed and now witness accidents taking place all the time.

I bought some new green friends for the house

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Some very old fashioned looking CD drawers. I have a couple hundred DVDs and my old storage solution was a real pain in the rear end. This should be a lot easier and I got 2 for $36, which is a pretty good deal for safely storing 300 discs.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Do you not like binders? I just have 1000+ discs in binders.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

colas posted:

Do you not like binders? I just have 1000+ discs in binders.

Binders are expensive! And you have to pull it off the shelf and pick through it, and god help you if you want to add something to the middle of your collection.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Yeah, I filing system makes more sense but my binders were pretty cheap. Moving my data horde to a server/cloud would be best. Then I could access it anywhere.

colas has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Mar 31, 2019

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

couldcareless posted:

I have that exact dash cam. No issues with it yet, though I seem to be cursed and now witness accidents taking place all the time.

I bought some new green friends for the house

Lol I saw this posted on imgur

Everyone there liked your fern but I'm way into snake plants personally

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought my first new pair of sneakers in way too long. Nike Air Max 720s in the iridescent mesh colourway

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

colas posted:

Yeah, I filing system makes more sense but my binders were pretty cheap. Moving my data horde to a server/cloud would be best. Then I could access it anywhere.

NAS + AWS Glacier Backup + set up home vpn to access it anywhere is the true answer.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

OSU_Matthew posted:

NAS + AWS Glacier Backup + set up home vpn to access it anywhere is the true answer.

I've been meaning to do this but have been incredibly :effort: about it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

cyberia posted:

I bought my first new pair of sneakers in way too long. Nike Air Max 720s in the iridescent mesh colourway

Goddamn these are awesome

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mocking Bird posted:

Lol I saw this posted on imgur

Everyone there liked your fern but I'm way into snake plants personally

I just got a new ivy for the apartment because another one graduated to a bigger pot. Fresh greens, warmer weather and early morning sunlight. Bring on spring.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
This things sucks :imunfunny:

And a Gallon of of Cactus Juice.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Nice.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The purchase is the hardcover binding.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Do they actually make hard cover bound comics? Because even though I don't like comics I think there would be a huge market for them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do they actually make hard cover bound comics? Because even though I don't like comics I think there would be a huge market for them.

It's rare but so, so worth it if you enjoy a series a ton.

I have the Absolute Sandman series and they are hefty tomes and a great series to have around.

(Not my picture)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Inzombiac posted:

I have the Absolute Sandman series and they are hefty tomes and a great series to have around.

(Not my picture)

I have the Sandman series in a two-volume set, the Sandman Omnibus, and they are just amazing. Out of all my graphic novels, they’re definitely the nicest presentation. Tough to read in bed because they’re heavy as poo poo though.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I have the Sandman series in a two-volume set, the Sandman Omnibus, and they are just amazing. Out of all my graphic novels, they’re definitely the nicest presentation. Tough to read in bed because they’re heavy as poo poo though.

Yeah I've got the same set plus a bunch of Marvel omnibuses.

edit: good lord I need to dust/vacuum.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Inzombiac posted:

(Not my picture)

Depending on the binder, you can have super fancy covers made. A bit pricey, though.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

I have the four volume absolute set (with Gaiman's signature on the first one) so I can't imagine having the two volume set, it seems way too large.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Animale posted:

I have the four volume absolute set (with Gaiman's signature on the first one) so I can't imagine having the two volume set, it seems way too large.

My wife refuses to read them for fear of smashing her face in when she falls asleep. I soldier on through the pain and fear!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Nike Air Max BWs from Goodwill, only $15!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

My brother used to be a binder's apprentice and he bound all our Tintin and Lucky Luke albums into neat volumes. Of course then they published a shitload more of Lucky Luke albums but he'd already become a welder by then :shrug:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

oh god, i've got the old absolute edition set and they're bad enough. my wrists are seizing up just looking at that two volume set.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Finally finished the PCBs for a nixie clock (cause I'm a turbo nerd). Decided to split it into two PCBs to trade length in one dimension over another. It's designed to be a wall clock, but it could pretty easily be a desk clock with some jiggering of the neon dots.

For some reason Altium's assembly view decided to change the PCB color? and also the color of the hex standoffs? Anyway, the boards stack nicely. I still need to figure out what I'm gonna do for an enclosure. I may just conformal coat the boards and leave it without.

Also bought all the components to solder them up. That was a bit more expensive than I was thinking due to some not cheap parts for the power converter, and never wanting to have exactly enough parts as you need cause something always goes wrong, and if it doesn't, I'll have enough parts to make another one or two.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OniPanda posted:

Finally finished the PCBs for a nixie clock (cause I'm a turbo nerd). Decided to split it into two PCBs to trade length in one dimension over another. It's designed to be a wall clock, but it could pretty easily be a desk clock with some jiggering of the neon dots.

For some reason Altium's assembly view decided to change the PCB color? and also the color of the hex standoffs? Anyway, the boards stack nicely. I still need to figure out what I'm gonna do for an enclosure. I may just conformal coat the boards and leave it without.

Also bought all the components to solder them up. That was a bit more expensive than I was thinking due to some not cheap parts for the power converter, and never wanting to have exactly enough parts as you need cause something always goes wrong, and if it doesn't, I'll have enough parts to make another one or two.
You designed the PCBs from scratch and getting them printed?? Thats loving awesome!

I’ve always wanted to build a nixie clock, but the price of the tubes are off-putting.

You have a case you’re going to throw these in?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

OSU_Matthew posted:

You designed the PCBs from scratch and getting them printed?? Thats loving awesome!

I’ve always wanted to build a nixie clock, but the price of the tubes are off-putting.

You have a case you’re going to throw these in?

Yeah, the only thing I didn't personally design was the power converter. Power electronics isn't my area, and I heed the wise words of one my professors, "switching converters are black magic, if you don't know what you're doing, you're gonna gently caress it up." I copied the schematic for it from someone who DOES do power electronics and it's specifically for Nixie tubes so it should be fine. I did the layout though, cause I was fitting it into a different area. I also wanted to implement the timing using nothing but digital logic instead of a microprocessor because I am a masochist. Digital logic/PCB design was what I did focus on in school, so it's pretty easy to me. Look back in the thread for some of my other posts about PCBs I've made :v:

I didn't want to buy a clock kit, because a) that's boring when I could design it myself, b) they all want way too much loving money for it because they're tryin to fleece nerds, c) most kits are using IN-14 tubes (vertical) and are desk clocks. This uses IN-12 tubes (horizontal). They're actually surprisingly cheap. I got 8 tubes off eBay for $10 shipped. They....probably work. And if they don't, I got sockets for it so that I can easily swap the tubes. Minimum order on the PCBs is 5, and I always order up on parts for when things gently caress up, so I probably spent about $200 on everything, but I can build multiple clocks (I'd just need more tubes) with the parts I bought, and that's still cheaper than most the kits I saw for a single clock.

No clue what I'm gonna do for a case. Either I'll just coat the boards, or buy some acrylic sheets and cut them at work :shrug:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I say go all out and make it out of metal or wood, I can’t picture Nixie tubes and plastic

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Only reason I say acrylic is so I can see the PCBs :slick:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Kindle HD10 and case for my daughter since my son has one and I'm a jerk for making her use a 7" one

Google home hub because I already have a number of the google home devices and it was on sale for $85

We're going to re-do our deck this year so I bought a new table/chair set and grilling gazebo thing

(not pictured)
My relative's latest romance novel in physical form to support her and add to the collection.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Two tickets to Carly Rae Jepsen, see you there girls and gays

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coffee And Pie posted:

Two tickets to Carly Rae Jepsen, see you there girls and gays

Nice! I don't have the money right now, though I'm hoping I'll be able to get a ticket for her show here :)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
:homebrew: except not really because I got the one with ads and apparently Amazon has a payment plan option now so I only have to pay $18 a month until it’s paid off

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Nice! I don't have the money right now, though I'm hoping I'll be able to get a ticket for her show here :)

Good luck!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Coffee And Pie posted:

:homebrew: except not really because I got the one with ads and apparently Amazon has a payment plan option now so I only have to pay $18 a month until it’s paid off

Good luck!

I love my Kindle. Here’s a tip.

Go on Amazon’s tech support messaging system. Ask them to remotely remove the ads on your kindle, be super nice. When they say ok we’ll do it and charge your account the ad removal fee, say no I’d rather spend that money on books will you please do it for free? They will more than likely just say ok and do it. Totally worked for me and several other goons. I kept my word and bought some books with it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rolo posted:

Go on Amazon’s tech support messaging system. Ask them to remotely remove the ads on your kindle, be super nice. When they say ok we’ll do it and charge your account the ad removal fee, say no I’d rather spend that money on books will you please do it for free? They will more than likely just say ok and do it. Totally worked for me and several other goons. I kept my word and bought some books with it.

Huh! Easier than jailbreaking it I guess (though I will probably do that as well)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I don’t know about y’all, but if I disconnect my kindle from the WiFi (which I only use to download books and then turn off for battery life, etc issues), the kindle runs out of ads in like a week or two and just throws up the regular lock screen. Mine is about 6 years old now, this, so maybe the new version is different?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rolo posted:

That's a swell story and all but Amazon customer support managed to give me a free kindle. I win. From reading the old emails it sounds like I tried to get a replacement but they refunded me as well as sending me a replacement for some reason. I mean I told them and they still seemed to fail to understand what I was trying to say, so I gave up.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Why don't ya'll just read on your phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reading longer articles and book on e-ink is so much better than a phone.