Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've also seen Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats, Dead Leaves, Aachi wa Ssipak and Golgo 13 out of that list, but the rest sounds dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so i'm looking for dumb OVAs/movies. the gorier and more titty-filled the better.

things i've already seen that fit and at least mildly owned:

Ninja Scroll
Karas
Bio-Booster Armor Guyver
Mad Bull 34
Violence Jack
Devilman
Mazinkaiser SKL
Megazone 23
Strait Jacket
Detonator Orgun
Crying Freeman
the first Urotsukidoji movie
Hellsing Ultimate
Genocyber
MD Geist
Armitage III
Baoh
Black Magic M-66
Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01
Angel Cop
Bio Hunter
Hades Project Zeorymer
Baki
the Highlander anime
Demon City Shinjuku
Cyber City Oedo 808
both Vampire Hunter D movies

things that were not to my taste:

Mnemosyne
Wicked City
Kite
Urotsukidoji past the first one
Mezzo Forte
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Ninja Resurrection
Psychic Wars

i am genuinely considering the possibility that i have seen everything in this niche worth seeing and then some.

as you can see i am not prudish about content beyond kind of not liking rape or really gross sex stuff, and i can tolerate both in this context, just... not preferred, the less the better. i am also fairly not discerning about quality.

Kyomu Senshi Miroku

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah Eightman After as well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shin Getter Robo?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Geobreeders/Geobreeders Outbreak
Tenamonya Voyagers

both are more on the cheesecakey and comedic side of the OVA line, but have extended and lavishly animated action sequences

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ai City might also be worth a look, it's one of those bad-good things but i really enjoyed the cheesy soundtrack and action in it. iirc there's some weird romantic hinting between the mc and a girl who is a clone of his dead lover but i don't remember it being a huge part

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If we're talking 90's OVA's with cheesecake/fanservice to the max... maybe, and this is just a thought here, I dunno: Golden Boy?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The double post of shame. :doh:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Golden Boy also stands out for me as one of the few animes where the English dub is actually freakin' great. Certainly qualifies as "entertaining OVA" and "wow much busoms".

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also check out the total Alien knockoff that is Lily C.A.T.
:yeah:

Also maybe Mind Game because while it's generally lacking in tits/explosions/gore it does get extremely stupid and surreal at times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Golden Boy also stands out for me as one of the few animes where the English dub is actually freakin' great. Certainly qualifies as "entertaining OVA" and "wow much busoms".

golden boy's jokes are pretty hit or miss but the swimming scene rules, especially dubbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmBSfci0yE

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Iria the Zeiram animation isn't very gory, but it's about a sexy lady bounty hunter in a scifi setting. I have a soft spot for it since it was one of the first anime's I saw back when the SciFi channel aired a weekly movie/batch of ovas.

edit: And Dominion: Tank Police too.

and the Fist of the North Star movie. A masterpiece of dumb gory action.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 29, 2019

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is a slightly embarassing ask but... What are some of the best melodramatic maybe slightly trainwrecky "guilty pleasure" animes out there? Slightly "trashy" anime that's definitely not "a critic's choice" but entertaining to binge. Dramatic plot twists fit the type of show well.

I'd say the most obvious pick is Code Geass. Sword Art Online hits the spot too. Both include ridiculous power fantasies but that's not necessary. The protagonist coming into contact with powerful individuals/entities is almost preferable instead, honestly. Not sure I could stand them today but I guess Gundam SEED/Destiny fits the bill pretty well too.

edit: Currently airing reincarnated as a slime anime definitely does not fit the bill. The show has pretty much zero stakes from what I've watched.

I've actually watched Future Diary, and yeah it kinda fits the bill for sure.
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 31, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dessel posted:

This is a slightly embarassing ask but... What are some of the best melodramatic maybe slightly trainwrecky "guilty pleasure" animes out there? Slightly "trashy" anime that's definitely not "a critic's choice" but entertaining to binge. Dramatic plot twists fit the type of show well.

I'd say the most obvious pick is Code Geass. Sword Art Online hits the spot too. Both include ridiculous power fantasies but that's not necessary. The protagonist coming into contact with powerful individuals/entities is almost preferable instead, honestly. Not sure I could stand them today but I guess Gundam SEED/Destiny fits the bill pretty well too.

edit: Currently airing reincarnated as a slime anime definitely does not fit the bill. The show has pretty much zero stakes from what I've watched.

You want Future Diary. Go watch Future Diary right now. It is literally the exact thing you are requesting. It arguably doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but that show will grab you by the balls if you dig twisty melodrama.

As far as stakes, they start out high and get bonkers. Yukki is also not exactly a power fantasy character, but he's one of my favorite examples of a more or less normal person getting swept up by a tornado of wild poo poo against their will and having to try and adapt, so I think you'll dig him.

e: it's also better than anything you mentioned other than Slime, which is so different I genuinely feel weird trying to compare them.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 31, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Windaria
Book Girl

two movies made from distilled melodrama. you can also go for classic shoujo melodrama in something like Honoo no Alpenrose.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dessel posted:

v

Domestic Girlfriend might be what you are looking for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You want Future Diary. Go watch Future Diary right now. It is literally the exact thing you are requesting. It arguably doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but that show will grab you by the balls if you dig twisty melodrama.

nah the best thing about Future Diary / Mirai Nikki is that it actually does hold up to scrutiny; it's the absolute best kind of trash

I can't tell if he was actually written that way on purpose or if it's just a coincidence based on his character traits, but I've always read Yukki as a great example of ASD representation. He's really got that high affective empathy / low cognitive empathy thing going on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dessel posted:

v
death note, gundam wing, another

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dessel posted:

v

Violet Evergarden? It has the melodrama down but doesn't really deal with any power fantasy tropes.

lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dessel posted:

v

Definitely Guilty Crown

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dessel posted:

v

Occultic;Nine

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

o;9 is good but it does have one of the most unique "trainwreck" episodes late in the season when a guest director decided every shot should be at a dutch angle, if not straight up rotated 90-180 degrees

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Domestic na Kanojo just finished so get on that then fall down the manga hole (225 chapters and counting)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dessel posted:

v

Fuckin Valvrave the Liberator

I enjoyed the heck out of that anime for some reason, even though it was bad. I think the goofy anime music (I believe it has songs by both TM Revolution and Angela, both of whom are experts at the sub-genre of "hype anime music") played a part.

I'm also a huge sucker for the "fujoshi bait situation where protagonist has some pretty boy counterpart that he's more emotionally involved with than the actual female love interest" situation in shows like that or Aldnoah;Zero.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Oregairu is also a fine example of that

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I originally watched Guilty Crown when it aired and it honestly matches the description, but I dropped it for whatever reason. Maybe on a binge it's better. And yeah Valvrave fits perfectly, and I've watched it. I have now watched quite a bit of Domestic Kanojo and it isn't quite what I was looking for (literally domestic instead of some ridiculous world saving epoch/war/whatever) but I enjoy it apart from the protagonist occasionally acting like a complete immoral piece of poo poo and that "literary club teacher" acting in a way that would constitute as sexual harassment 100% and they should be tried for their acts I've also watched Another when it aired.

I've also watched Oregairu a bit but dropped it for whatever reason too. It definitely has similar vibes to Domestic Kanojo.

edit: Also thanks for the recommendations!

edit: Even though I'm a Sci;Adv fan I dropped O;9 originally out of boredom.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 31, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hear Scum's Wish definitely fits the melodrama bill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dessel posted:

edit: Even though I'm a Sci;Adv fan I dropped O;9 originally out of boredom.

How far did you get, out of curiosity?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Looking at episode summaries, probably episode 5. My memory is hazy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m trying to start it since I’m rewatching robotics notes w the gf, and I like humongous boobs, but the first episode has like no hook for me and everyone talks like a bakemonogatari character on speed.

Where does it rate versus R;N or steins gate in most peoples opinion?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DamnGlitch posted:

I’m trying to start it since I’m rewatching robotics notes w the gf, and I like humongous boobs, but the first episode has like no hook for me and everyone talks like a bakemonogatari character on speed.

Where does it rate versus R;N or steins gate in most peoples opinion?

I've seen most people rate it below S;G, slightly above R;N, and way above C;H. (I'm still mad C;H had such a lovely adaptation.)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

I've seen most people rate it below S;G, slightly above R;N, and way above C;H. (I'm still mad C;H had such a lovely adaptation.)

That's about where I'd put it.

And C;H is such a drat shame after how much I ended up liking the VN

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Above R;N huh? I'll have to put more time into it. Is there a general point it picks up or the hook comes out?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dessel posted:

Looking at episode summaries, probably episode 5. My memory is hazy.

It starts off slow, but does pick up. I thought it was earlier in the series, but the point where it gets really good is episode 6. Especially after their names are among the mass-suicide victims...

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Do we have another top ten yearly list seeing as the op link is dead? I haven't watched much in the last few years but One Punch Man has made me feel like I have missed some classics.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878097&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

the final list was

10. Megalobox
9. Bloom Into You
8. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai
7. Pop Team Epic 
6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season
5. Zombieland Saga 
4. Hinamatsuri & Devilman Crybaby
3. Yuru Camp
2. SSSS.Gridman 
1. A Place Further Than The Universe

but obviously you'll find many other shows voted for and written about in the thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carecat posted:

Do we have another top ten yearly list seeing as the op link is dead? I haven't watched much in the last few years but One Punch Man has made me feel like I have missed some classics.

2018:

10. Megalobox
9. Bloom Into You
8. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai
7. Pop Team Epic
6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season
5. Zombieland Saga
4. Hinamatsuri & Devilman Crybaby
3. Yuru Camp
2. SSSS.Gridman
1. A Place Further Than The Universe

2017:

10. My Hero Academia Season 2
9. Recovery of an MMO Junkie
8. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
7. Girls' Last Tour
6. Made in Abyss
5. Acca: 13 Territory Inspection Department
4. Little Witch Academia
3. March Comes in Like a Lion Season 1
2. Konosuba 2
1. Land of the Lustrous

2016:

10. Osomatsu-san
9. Space Patrol Luluco
8. Konosuba
7. Yuri on Ice
6. Re;Zero
5. Flying Witch
4. Flip Flappers
3. Hibike Euphonium Season 2
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
1. Mob Psycho 100

Don't take this as gospel, mind, just watch stuff from the past few years that seems interesting to you. A lot of my favorite shows from the past few years aren't on these lists.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mob's a good place to start if you like opm. s1 starts off kinda shakey but it ends good and s2 is even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah mob's original author is the same guy who's the original author of one punch man. they're fairly different shows stylistically/tone-wise and they differ a lot in how they're adapted but they're still working from the same guy's work at the end of the day so there's still similar senses of humor and recurring ideas and such