Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

All those words but still coming just short of realizing that they're all meaningless, that they're literally defined from a matter of perspective lmao. If external optical tracking = tracking referenced to paper fiducials = tracking in reference to an active marker, then wow everything is identical just by virtue of the commutative property what a productive argument you guys are having

Just say what you actually mean instead of getting into a semantical slapfight, S and Quest are self-tracked, CV 1 and Vive are not because they need external references

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
drat you people are some pedantic mother fuckers

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hellsau posted:

People into VR right now are psychopaths. You have to do so much poo poo to actually have a good setup that you need to be insane to be willing to deal with it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I want to believe people are trolling, and not actually this dumb.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

People into VR right now are psychopaths. You have to do so much poo poo to actually have a good setup that you need to be insane to be willing to deal with it.

I can agree with this. I'm definitely loving crazy.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lemming posted:

People into VR right now are psychopaths.

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-90-BE8uq8

New Blade & Sorcery update looks sick as hell. I’m excited.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hellsau posted:

Arguing about tracking semantics is the most fun thing in VR right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mobby_6kl posted:

Arguing about tracking semantics is the most fun thing in VR right now.

I dunno, I'm quite amused by Oculus' business plan of "we're top dog, we run bartertown the PCVR market now" essentially being threatened by a single photo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Remember the leaked photos of the Valve Index?: https://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/valve-vr-headset-leaked/#/2

My dream scenario is that the "expansion slot" you see is for an onboard SoC+Battery (sort of like the Intel Compute Sticks), which lets it use the front-facing cameras for "Quest Mode", but the system can still tether to a PC.

It sort of jives with the "Upgrade your experience" slogan; I think the gimmick is that it'll be upgradable to newer SoCs as they come out, i.e. Snapdragon 835 -> 845 and so on.

Would be cool if they support several modes:

1) Tether to PC by default

2) Wireless 60ghz PC streaming module

3) "Quest" style self-contained module (except that the controllers, and maybe even the headset, are still tracked by Lighthouse)

4) "Oculus Go" style self-contained module, using just the headset cameras for tracking, and just the accelerators in the controllers, as a sort of "lie in bed and watch a movie" media consumption mode

Who knows what it'll end up as, but I hope it's at least more than only a battery or something.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, I'm quite amused by Oculus' business plan of "we're top dog, we run bartertown the PCVR market now" essentially being threatened by a single photo.
Ever the partisan, I see. It’s like you’re playing a role. How you can possibly mistake good marketing with a business plan in good faith is beyond me. These headsets are built on work done over a long period of time.

Personally I’m going to buy all three of the new headsets - Quest, Rift S, and Index. Differentiated tier 1 headsets with good default inputs? Yes please. Seems good for VR, not an existential crisis. VR R&D is a money sink anyways until the market grows and high production values become a good investment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Ever the partisan, I see. It’s like you’re playing a role. How you can possibly mistake good marketing with a business plan in good faith is beyond me. These headsets are built on work done over a long period of time.

Personally I’m going to buy all three of the new headsets - Quest, Rift S, and Index. Differentiated tier 1 headsets with good default inputs? Yes please. Seems good for VR, not an existential crisis. VR R&D is a money sink anyways until the market grows and high production values become a good investment.

Oculus' business plan with the Rift S isn't that smart of one though and comes from a place of assuming they have an iron grip on VR and no immediate need to innovate; They're the only big-name game in town, people will buy their WMR headset because it has Oculus on the label. They cull the Rift now, they get the PCVR crowd because they'll piss and moan, go through the five stages of grief, then relent into buying Rift S's by the time it comes out because it's the only upgrade available. The only way a plan like that works is if nothing happens between the Rift S being revealed and its release date, and Oculus can spin things how they want. And with WMR headsets as they are, Oculus pretty much could; A few pics and videos, some positive buzz here and there through the tech bloggers, it'll do okay on release.

Except something happened :munch:.

Instead, Oculus now have a competitor's device to contend with, one that has superior specifications and is generating quite a large amount of positive buzz from just a teaser reveal and a few now-confirmed leaked images. If the price comes even close to the Rift S's, that is not going to do Oculus any favours between the Index and Oculus Quest existing for their current business strategy. Especially as they would've potentially been in a much stronger position with it if they'd just kept the mechanical IPD displays. The real way the market grows is through the Quest anyway, everything else is just companies squabbling in the existing PCVR market.

I have no dog in this fight, I just think it's entertaining to watch the potential VR equivalent of "...$299" from the sidelines.

Zero VGS posted:

Remember the leaked photos of the Valve Index?: https://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/valve-vr-headset-leaked/#/2

My dream scenario is that the "expansion slot" you see is for an onboard SoC+Battery (sort of like the Intel Compute Sticks), which lets it use the front-facing cameras for "Quest Mode", but the system can still tether to a PC.

It sort of jives with the "Upgrade your experience" slogan; I think the gimmick is that it'll be upgradable to newer SoCs as they come out, i.e. Snapdragon 835 -> 845 and so on.

Would be cool if they support several modes:

1) Tether to PC by default

2) Wireless 60ghz PC streaming module

3) "Quest" style self-contained module (except that the controllers, and maybe even the headset, are still tracked by Lighthouse)

4) "Oculus Go" style self-contained module, using just the headset cameras for tracking, and just the accelerators in the controllers, as a sort of "lie in bed and watch a movie" media consumption mode

Who knows what it'll end up as, but I hope it's at least more than only a battery or something.

I wondered what that might be used for too, but I 'm not too certain on it being self-contained (at least maybe not at launch). For the kind of software marketplace they'd essentially be building from scratch, you'd surely have developers already publicly revealing titles to generate buzz in the same way Oculus is currently doing for the Quest. Especially if May 21st is the release date. There is one potential route that could take though; if it shares the same storefront for whatever HTC has planned with the Cosmos' phone-controlled platform. As for Wireless, this very much depends on what their relationship is with HTC at the moment (as with the previous theory), but I'd be inclined to expect the existing Vive wireless module to be compatible with the Index. That way it makes all the existing owners very happy, and maybe a separate version like you describe released in parallel/in future for new buyers.

At the very least, I think it's an expansion on the spare USB port in the Vive - just mount it, release the specs and SDK, see what people do with it for fun or research.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 31, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That gap is about the size of the leap motion hand tracker that got released about 2 years ago

When I bought one, it was a little fiddly about tracking all 10 fingers and thumbs, but it was 95% accurate at figuring out if my index/thumb were making a grasping motion, or making a peace sign, or whatever. I would imagine that the tech has improved a lot in the last couple of years.

https://www.leapmotion.com

Edit: oh, wow, they're charging $80 for the hand tracker now, I think I ordered one right off their website for $35

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 31, 2019

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Bookmarking this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

That gap is about the size of the leap motion hand tracker that got released about 2 years ago

When I bought one, it was a little fiddly about tracking all 10 fingers and thumbs, but it was 95% accurate at figuring out if my index/thumb were making a grasping motion, or making a peace sign, or whatever. I would imagine that the tech has improved a lot in the last couple of years.

https://www.leapmotion.com

Edit: oh, wow, they're charging $80 for the hand tracker now, I think I ordered one right off their website for $35

That makes a lot of sense. I think there's been one or two other mount-to-the-front devices aside from the Leap motion, haven't there?

Also on a little extra thought, I actually really doubt a wireless module would go in that socket. Or even the battery for one. Routing the wireless unit through the one expansion port it has would rendering the thing useless for every wireless user, which isn't exactly great design.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Bookmarking this

o-kay?... :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isometric Bacon posted:

Managed to get a brand new Vive Pro through work and have been really briefly playing around with it.

Is it just me or are the lighthouse v2 motors obnoxiously noisy? When on they both emit and extremely high pitched whine - not unlike the high frequency noises crtv monitors used to make that only under 20s could hear... Only I'm well past hearing those at 33 - and these are deafening in a otherwise quiet room.

It's rather spoiled any dev work I want to do in my study since it's hard to concentrate with them on.

Wait. I always thought vive lighthouses were just led lights? They have moving parts? What in the heck

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. I always thought vive lighthouses were just led lights? They have moving parts? What in the heck

The LEDs are just a wide flash to tell the headset a laser sweep is happening. Then it spins some lasers to do a vertical and horizontal sweep which the headset uses to determine where it is based on the time since the LED flash.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Pretty sure this is the most pedantic thread in the whole of the something awful .com forums at this point.

All anyone cares about is does it need poo poo other than the headset to track your position and does it do it well. Any other :spergin: is totally meaningless outside of internet slapfights. So I guess it makes total sense in this thread.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
lol, why do I always end up in the threads that go on for pages arguing about frivolous minutiae... Dota, Elite: Dangerous, VR... there must be something wrong with me...

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've put more hours into Poker Stars VR in the last couple days than I have in like 80% of all my VR games lol

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is a weird thing to project onto a company for the sin of updating their flagship product with more modern technology

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1112380591733960706

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Double fresnel lenses anybody?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well that's... a logo, I guess?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone on reddit posted about Valve having some patent for doubled up fresenel lenses and called it indexed refraction. If they put some crazy poo poo in this headset when Oculus is just "here's this poo poo, it's good enough" it might be over. Someone compared this to Sony saying "$299" and walking away and it might be apt if Valve pulls it off.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's okay I'll still love my dead gay Oculus. I mean I've only owned the loving thing for a month.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cojawfee posted:

Someone on reddit posted about Valve having some patent for doubled up fresenel lenses and called it indexed refraction. If they put some crazy poo poo in this headset when Oculus is just "here's this poo poo, it's good enough" it might be over. Someone compared this to Sony saying "$299" and walking away and it might be apt if Valve pulls it off.

That is, unless Valve says "$899" :v:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Or it could be the equivalent of Sony saying "we think people will be happy to take out a second mortgage". Until they say basically anything about the headset it's all speculation and fanboyism one way or the other.

On the subject of the Index, though, I've been seeing some outlets walking back their early "Valve will release it in May" claim in favor of "Valve will provide more details in May". Has there been anything confirmed either way on that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kazy posted:

That is, unless Valve says "$899" :v:

I don't think this is going to be the case, though I fully acknowledge it's Valve and they could gently caress it up as they are want to do. Their big reveal was aimed direct at the Rift S; mechanical IPD, lighthouse tracking retained, bigger better screen. All the things Oculus said weren't important right now to the PCVR community. If it was a general "it exists" teaser, you'd expect to see it from the front, or a 45-degree angle from the side to just show it off a little. The only reason to throw down directly at the competition like that is if they think they can back it up come time to part consumers from their money, and that won't happen if it's not priced competitively.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Seems like it's all just rumors right now. There's some video claiming it tracks your feet and that they will release details at the end of April. These people seemed to have been at GDC, but who knows if they were just making things up. I don't know if we've seen the bottom of the leaked headset, but they were claiming there were cameras or something to track your various limbs. But it's all just speculation for now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Seems like it's all just rumors right now. There's some video claiming it tracks your feet and that they will release details at the end of April. These people seemed to have been at GDC, but who knows if they were just making things up. I don't know if we've seen the bottom of the leaked headset, but they were claiming there were cameras or something to track your various limbs. But it's all just speculation for now.

Uhh, we've definitely seen the underside of it. It was the teaser image :ssh:.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AndrewP posted:

I've put more hours into Poker Stars VR in the last couple days than I have in like 80% of all my VR games lol

It’s a fantastic game and I don’t know why more people don’t talk about it. Maybe there aren’t a ton of poker nerds here.

I’m One-T-Matt on oculus if you want to get a few hands in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uhh, we've definitely seen the underside of it. It was the teaser image :ssh:.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I guess that video is fake news then.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think this is going to be the case, though I fully acknowledge it's Valve and they could gently caress it up as they are want to do. Their big reveal was aimed direct at the Rift S; mechanical IPD, lighthouse tracking retained, bigger better screen. All the things Oculus said weren't important right now to the PCVR community. If it was a general "it exists" teaser, you'd expect to see it from the front, or a 45-degree angle from the side to just show it off a little. The only reason to throw down directly at the competition like that is if they think they can back it up come time to part consumers from their money, and that won't happen if it's not priced competitively.

And the PS3 was made to go against the 360, but we still saw how that launch turned out. It could very well be that they can't compete on price so they're going to be pushing features as hard as possible.

There's all kinds of ways to read these tea leaves right now, but at the moment it's all speculation, and Valve still has plenty of time to reveal some new and exciting way to disappoint people like every other VR headset has managed in one way or another thus far. I know VR fans like to hiss at every shadow and go nuts over every can opener, but the predictions have been unusually intense lately.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I've never wanted more details on something more in my life.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jubjub64 posted:

lol, why do I always end up in the threads that go on for pages arguing about frivolous minutiae... Dota, Elite: Dangerous, VR... there must be something wrong with me...

You should read threads where people have fun games to talk about

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The only game changer is reliable low latency eye tracking and I'm not expecting Index to crack that nut.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's telling of how checked out I was on the VR landscape that Oculus announced a new Rift and I didn't know (I love my Rift but am ready for a higher-res version), but now that I know of this and that Valve has entered the game, the situation changes a bit. Oculus hasn't done me wrong in any way (apart from their launch fiasco) but Valve is a company I have rather significantly more faith in than Facebook.

Guess I'm waiting for news now!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sky Shadowing posted:

Oculus hasn't done me wrong in any way (apart from their launch fiasco) but Valve is a company I have rather significantly more faith in than Facebook.

Guess I'm waiting for news now!

Why? They fired their VR hardware staff, and they haven't made an actual game in years. They're great at sitting on their asses, making hats and stupid DLC, charging a huge fee for developers to use their platform, taking weeks on support tickets, and waffling back and forth on every moderation decision for their storefront.

They might as well be Facebook.

All companies suck. Welcome to capitalism.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

D1E posted:

Why? They fired their VR hardware staff, and they haven't made an actual game in years. They're great at sitting on their asses, making hats and stupid DLC, charging a huge fee for developers to use their platform, taking weeks on support tickets, and waffling back and forth on every moderation decision for their storefront.

They might as well be Facebook.

All companies suck. Welcome to capitalism.

Facebook is getting rich off externalising the cost of destroying civil society and sucking the marrow of useful data out of the bones of powerless individuals. Valve sell me fun games.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hail our corporate overlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chadzok posted:

Facebook is getting rich off externalising the cost of destroying civil society and sucking the marrow of useful data out of the bones of powerless individuals. Valve sell me fun games.

In the past 6 years they've made The Lab and Artifact