Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Easy modes are stealing our gaming valor

How am I ever going to feel superior by making every game that comes out all about me and how good I am at it when one comes out and isn't even challenging?

It's like some people just want to play some video games to relax or something. loving IDIOT casuals. Who do they think they are ruining my life like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm enjoying Crafted World well enough but it's definitely not as good as Woolly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm enjoying Crafted way more than Woolly- I dunno if it's just the presentation but it's doing a lot more to win me over. It's just a shame that the audio is just so loving awful that if they said "hold up we're patching in the good music we shipped the bad music on accident" I'd be fine with waiting.

I don't know if I'll really remember anything after I beat the game- granted. But WW just felt agonizing to play after awhile with how nothing the settings were.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm enjoying Crafted World well enough but it's definitely not as good as Woolly.

:same:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm enjoying Crafted way more than Woolly- I dunno if it's just the presentation but it's doing a lot more to win me over.
Yeah, for as much of a cakewalk the game is, it has aesthetics and level scenarios down pat. I'm almost at the final boss, and stuff like...

https://twitter.com/CrawfishPrime/status/1112179725219164160

...were not generally the sort of thing I was expecting.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Surprised to go to Target tonight and see two of the Labo kits that I didn't own still there, even though Brickseek said the store was out of stock.

Just picked up Robot and Vehicle kit!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Crafted World could stand to maybe not have you go back to levels 4/5/6 times for the box man requests, especially when they're auto scrollers. I don't mind that the game is super easy, but that particular aspect starts to make the game feel tedious because you're going through the same levels so many times. Granted you're probably not meant to be doing them one after the other like this but :shrug:

I'll say, one thing all the Yoshi games always get right is how satisfying the trail of eggs is behind you

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am liking Yoshi more as I play it more.

I also am looking the music except for the main theme from "normal" levels

Has anyone played MetaGal? Trailer looks like a fairly competent mega Man clone, is it any good?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Heath posted:

Has anybody tried The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince? It looks cute but anything with a NIS logo on it that isn't an Ys game is highly suspect.

I wrote a review for it back around release. It's not very long or complicated, but the story and art really carry it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Too Shy Guy posted:

I wrote a review for it back around release. It's not very long or complicated, but the story and art really carry it.

That length is not necessarily a negative these days.

How's the soundtrack? Any idea who it's by?

I kinda wish I'd gotten the collector's edition of Labyrinth of Refrain just for them audio discs.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t know if there was any discussion about Civilization IV VI when it launched but I finally got around to playing it today and... it’s rough. It’s the full Civ experience on the go, but it’s absolutely clunky and there’s some pretty egregious frame rate and lag issues when you get to about the halfway point.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 31, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
VI?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hey man do I look like I speak roman

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just making sure I didn't miss a sneaky release of the best game of all time :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Hey man do I look like I speak roman

Romanes Eunt Ludere

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
this end section in blaster master zero 2 is awful holy gently caress please stop making these games if this is your idea of fun

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lessail posted:

this end section in blaster master zero 2 is awful holy gently caress please stop making these games if this is your idea of fun

Welcome to IntiCreates

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the first one was fine

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Macaluso posted:

Crafted World could stand to maybe not have you go back to levels 4/5/6 times for the box man requests, especially when they're auto scrollers. I don't mind that the game is super easy, but that particular aspect starts to make the game feel tedious because you're going through the same levels so many times. Granted you're probably not meant to be doing them one after the other like this but :shrug:

I'll say, one thing all the Yoshi games always get right is how satisfying the trail of eggs is behind you

yep, my one suggestion would be, instead of getting each of the crafts scavenger hunt items one at a time, just getting the entire list for the level at once would be better. You'd still have to go forward and back twice for each level but it would be less than it is currently

that said, game is gorgeous and chill and exactly what one would expect out of a Yoshi game. I suspect Nintendo is slowly running out of materials to base games around (string, wool, paper, crafts, that clay minature looking new Link's Awakening) but man I'd love Donkey Kong game that genuinely looks like it's made out of building construction materials. Take the aesthetic of the original Donkey Kong game to the next level.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

asecondduck posted:

I don’t know if there was any discussion about Civilization IV VI when it launched but I finally got around to playing it today and... it’s rough. It’s the full Civ experience on the go, but it’s absolutely clunky and there’s some pretty egregious frame rate and lag issues when you get to about the halfway point.

I noticed the performance issues but force quitting the game and restarting it fixed it for me. Kinda lovely to have to do but it worked.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm enjoying Crafted way more than Woolly- I dunno if it's just the presentation but it's doing a lot more to win me over. It's just a shame that the audio is just so loving awful that if they said "hold up we're patching in the good music we shipped the bad music on accident" I'd be fine with waiting.

I don't know if I'll really remember anything after I beat the game- granted. But WW just felt agonizing to play after awhile with how nothing the settings were.
I was playing the minecart level and I actively was rushing through the level without searching for secret stuff just because of how bad the music was.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

I actually enjoy the fetch quests. Not so much the autoscroller ones obviously, but I really enjoy casually going through older levels looking for hidden objects. Kind of reminds me of the I Spy books I had as a kid. I kinda feel like they put all of them in the game just to try and get people to slow down and appreciate the visual design of the game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hammer Bro. posted:

That length is not necessarily a negative these days.

How's the soundtrack? Any idea who it's by?

I kinda wish I'd gotten the collector's edition of Labyrinth of Refrain just for them audio discs.

I don't know who it's by but it's quite good, matches the mood of each scene perfectly and has some pretty powerful tracks near the end.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

how is the Breath of the Wild DLC?

I'm not really interested in the hard mode stuff but I like the idea of additional story content. Is it a post-game kind of deal or something that integrates with a normal playthrough?

I'm not really that far in the game, just exploring to find shrines and towers right now. This might be one of the best games I've ever played.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a couple minor QOL improvements and then a modest chunk of story following the main characters and an extra dungeon. If you're really enjoying the game I think it's safe to assume that you'll also enjoy the DLC.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Celeste is on sale

and also really difficult

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Celeste is on sale

and also really difficult

it comes with accessibility features to resolve most of that except maybe how gosh darn much I hate the wind level.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

American McGay posted:

I actually enjoy the fetch quests. Not so much the autoscroller ones obviously, but I really enjoy casually going through older levels looking for hidden objects. Kind of reminds me of the I Spy books I had as a kid. I kinda feel like they put all of them in the game just to try and get people to slow down and appreciate the visual design of the game.
I feel like the problem is there are just so many of them, and you can only do one at time, in the order they decided on.

Honestly the best approach to the game is to do a level and not worry about what you miss and then hold off on the flip side and whatever you missed until you unlock the missions.

It's less overall trips through the levels if you are two birds one stonesing it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm not really interested in the hard mode stuff but I like the idea of additional story content. Is it a post-game kind of deal or something that integrates with a normal playthrough?

I'm not really that far in the game, just exploring to find shrines and towers right now. This might be one of the best games I've ever played.

It integrated with normal play through, iirc, but it was easier to complete once you were stronger, so it was kinda post game ish.

And yes it is 100% worth it solely for the fact that you get this neat token thingy that let's you fast travel places and a bad rear end motorcycle that's super fun

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Tbh I thought Breath of the Wild's dlc was pretty mediocre. I liked most of champions ballad but the master sword trials was like concentrated anti-fun.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Guilty posted:

There's so much shovelware and garbage too.

People are saying it's meh because I seriously doubt SA forums members are it's target audience. Even reading all these reviews I'm surprised that so many goons are enjoying it. It does what it's meant to do really well, which is the video game equivalent of looking up kitty videos. If that's what you want, you should definitely get it (I'm 100% getting it)

I'm finding myself enjoying it in the same way I enjoy the LEGO games. It scratches that same Mellow Easy Baby Game itch, because sometimes I don't want a challenge and just want to be bombarded with cute things and the good feelings I get from collecting poo poo.

Some people just find that boring, and I guess I can understand that :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's still decently challenging and rewarding if you're trying to 100% it too. I've been going back through the first set of levels after beating the first boss trying to completely clear each level and it's been fun. That feeling when you go through a level 2-3 times and you're still missing a single red coin and then you finally notice that present cleverly hidden in the background.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Midjack posted:

A couple of caveats about amazon japan:

I have often found that they won’t ship movies and games outside of Japan, probably some regional licensing thing or maybe they just don’t want to hear about DVD region codes from dumb customers.

They only ship stuff to the us by the fastest and most expensive method, which easily costs as much as the items I’m buying.

Good thing is you’ll find out both of these before paying.

For games, with very few exceptions Amazon has to be the seller (not marketplace) and it takes a little time for new listings to get flagged as able to be shipped internationally.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There's 3 main aspects to the DLC:

1) It adds stuff to the overworld. New treasures and armor sets, usually with unique abilities or looks. This makes it sorta worth getting it early on because you can arrive at so many areas that seem otherwise dead because you haven't bought them in the DLC yet

2) Master Sword Trials - There is a gauntlet of battles that starts you with nothing and you have to find weapons and beat a bunch of floors in a row and dying starts you over. In concept I like the idea but I hated the execution. For a lot of people it was their highlight of the game though so who knows. Because you start with nothing, you can theoretically do this whenever you want but you'll want a decent chunk of hearts at least. There's a shrine that has this same concept but pulls it off much, much better

3) Champion's Ballad - My favorite part - it adds more shrines and quests to the world. This adds more reasons to go back to places that you wouldn't visit often, and I actually found even more shrines while doing the DLC ones. It starts off really hard (There are some challenges that require you to do stuff with 1 heart) but if you get past that part you get more of The Good Zelda

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

More an admirer of Matt thorson than a platformer fan, so I grabbed towerfall while it was on sale. Celeste looks cute, but I'll never finish it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

3) Champion's Ballad - My favorite part - it adds more shrines and quests to the world. This adds more reasons to go back to places that you wouldn't visit often, and I actually found even more shrines while doing the DLC ones. It starts off really hard (There are some challenges that require you to do stuff with 1 heart) but if you get past that part you get more of The Good Zelda

iirc, can't you cheese the 1-heart fights a little because you can still use your Bow?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Modus Pwnens posted:

For games, with very few exceptions Amazon has to be the seller (not marketplace) and it takes a little time for new listings to get flagged as able to be shipped internationally.

That’s fair, since I’m usually trying to get new stuff when it comes out. You’re absolutely right about the marketplace sellers too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Worth mentioning the DLC shrines are among the best. They're far more fleshed out.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the dlc boss fight is top tier and the bike owns, though i wish it got better gas mileage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Too Shy Guy posted:

(re: liar princess and the blind prince)

I'd pretty much agree. It's great if you want a game that's pretty to look at and a bit calming to play. You'll think a few times on puzzles but it won't destroy your brain like baba is you.

So it's really good as long as you're looking for something like that. I just finished playing sekiro and I keep trying to do baba is you so I should probably play some of this tonight to rest.