Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the undisputed stars of my facebook feed are two rural gay boomers named bruce, they don't know each other but they are both wild and passionate in their rage against the australian right wing and when both the bruces are ranting and i get leftie bruce rants interspersed all the way down the page, first one bruce and then the other, in those moments of magic facebook almost becomes retroactively worth the damage it's done to our species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
one of the bruces has been in love with my father for fifty years which adds an interesting element to the drama

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

avs your life sounds crazy and difficult but also fun and calming and I hope you and the guy from Midnight Oil manage to get elected and change Australia before its too late.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Furnaceface posted:

avs your life sounds crazy and difficult but also fun and calming and I hope you and the guy from Midnight Oil manage to get elected and change Australia before its too late.
the guy from midnight oil already spent some time in senate and he was hopeless :( i'm avoiding politics, it was the death of ariel and it would be the death of me, he and i are going to farm our way to jewish survival in the new white australia

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i just watched some miniseries from 1983 called special bulletin which was pretty good but also depressing cause the things it had to say about media responses to tragedy are still relevant 30 years later

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that’s what everyone has been using 2nd stage immobilisers for, no?

keyless doors are still pretty easy to mechanically bypass and all you need to start the car is a blank fob and a key reprogrammer so long as the obd port isn't blocked. it takes about 30 seconds to reprogram the ignition

it's like those stupid locknuts they started putting on wheels to prevent them from getting stolen. a decent enough impact driver can break them off in no time

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

keyless doors are still pretty easy to mechanically bypass and all you need to start the car is a blank fob and a key reprogrammer so long as the obd port isn't blocked. it takes about 30 seconds to reprogram the ignition

it's like those stupid locknuts they started putting on wheels to prevent them from getting stolen. a decent enough impact driver can break them off in no time

if someone is that prepared and dedicated they're getting your car no matter what

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
e: wrong thread

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 31, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

StarkingBarfish posted:

e: wrong thread
i am a salt lake

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the paradigm shift posted:

if someone is that prepared and dedicated they're getting your car no matter what

the what's now older style keyed ignitions with rfid immobilizers are actually kinda difficult to steal though. those require skill and dedication. push start ignitions you just need to spend a few hundred on a specialized tablet and you're good to go

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
TO: KIM

Do not read if you aren't Kim, Im serious

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like you will you hand over your nukes?

Cricle one:

YES NO

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

TO: KIM

Do not read if you aren't Kim, Im serious

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like you will you hand over your nukes?

Cricle one:

YES NO

*scribbling*

maybe

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
LISTEN: Elon Musk randomly drops a rap song, dedicates it to Harambe 😂😂

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

LISTEN: Elon Musk randomly drops a rap song, dedicates it to Harambe 😂😂

rejected chapo cold opens

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
after this weekend i'm beginning to think the california red-legged frog is threatened because they are just incredibly easy to catch

Randler posted:

A lot of people took sanity breaks or aged out of D&D after America elected Trump and DaDchat never really recovered from that.

but i still post here all the time

rejected chapo cold opens

oh sweet jesus, it is

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

but i still post here all the time

Then let me tell you about the 4 months of PTO I have until I get at least another month in November, manager.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
i dont like chapo or cumtown, still searching for the equivalent that actually has PoC on

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

i dont like chapo or cumtown, still searching for the equivalent that actually has PoC on

champagne sharks?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol boomers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/01/theres-a-retirement-crisis-in-america-where-most-will-be-unable-to-afford-a-solid-life.html

They can just find a job imo. I did.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
lol boomers followed by fygm. That's Our Volkerball!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

champagne sharks?

I could check this out, or recommend it to my girlfriend; she doesn’t listen to podcasts that are just 3-4 white dudes because it’s too hard to tell us apart by voice alone

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

lol boomers followed by fygm. That's Our Volkerball!

FYGM is the boomer mantra and I think he is trying to make a joke and mock them about how they are always telling millenials to just go get a job if they want a place to live.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Furnaceface posted:

FYGM is the boomer mantra and I think he is trying to make a joke and mock them about how they are always telling millenials to just go get a job if they want a place to live.

Furnaceface is smart smart smart. Cease to Hope dumb dumb.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

At Vanguard, the median 401(k) account value for an investor age 65 and older is a measly $58,035.

god drat, the boomers hosed up real bad

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

tbf most of their money managers or companies told them to roll them over into iras and they keep getting hosed

gently caress em tho

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the paradigm shift posted:

tbf most of their money managers or companies told them to roll them over into iras and they keep getting hosed

gently caress em tho

It's more that most of their career was in the pension era, but poo poo, those 401k numbers are pathetic no matter how you slice it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

401k is amount of bullets my brother and i have dispersed across several bunkers

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

i love being related to a black doomsday prepper, all of the utility none of the racism

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
So, none of the racism, basically.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Volkerball posted:

It's more that most of their career was in the pension era, but poo poo, those 401k numbers are pathetic no matter how you slice it.

quote:

The state of those who have pensions are not much better. The median private pension was only $9,376 a year, according to the Pension Rights Center (state, local and federal pensions were higher).

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

$9,376 from the pension + $2,320 (4% of $58,000 median 401k savings) + $15k social security = an annual income of $26,696 with the only increases coming from social security for the rest of your life. That's the median. Cool cool.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Volkerball posted:

$9,376 from the pension + $2,320 (4% of $58,000 median 401k savings) + $15k social security = an annual income of $26,696 with the only increases coming from social security for the rest of your life. That's the median. Cool cool.

I assume that doesn't look better after taxes due to the stupid skin in the game approach America has?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Randler posted:

I assume that doesn't look better after taxes due to the stupid skin in the game approach America has?

Nah, most peoples 401k's are traditional, which means that no taxes will have been paid on any money contributed to it, or on any of the capital gains. When the funds are withdrawn (and the government will make you withdraw it), then you pay the taxes. So it'll actually look worse afterwards. But you can't pay taxes on money you don't have, so by not having any money, they have significantly lowered the amount they will owe in taxes, ron paul 2012.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
this feels like news to me:

https://www.classicfm.com/music-new...1xIwNzT4mX0GNYM

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

lol this is cool

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/CBC/status/1108888521983451136
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1112797813384138758

:tif:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

if i was still stationed at drum i'd probably briefly reconsider my stance that climate change is bad reading this

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i live in Michigan so its gonna be dope af becoming Florida North and then dying before the truely bad impacts of global warming hit in the later portion of the century

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Make the world warm again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i don't think i'll live to see australia turn into a huge inland sea, but depending on how fast things develop i just might, and that's exciting