Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Not really binging it since it's still in season one.....but The Other Two on Comedy Central is great. I had high hopes because Drew Tarver is awesome. The first episode let me down.....but it's turned to be a really fantastic show so far. The characters are all great and the writing is excellent. I really like that the show runners don't have to rely on cheap jokes and toilet humor.

Thanks for the recommendation, this show is loving hilarious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

D-Pad posted:

I'm one of the few who didn't get pissed at the ending of the first season of The OA, but I still saw the problems people had with it. The 2nd season is just really loving good though and I would encourage anybody who liked the first season except for the ending go ahead and watch the 2nd season. Just wow.

I enjoyed S1 even if the ending was an anticlimax, and S2 was another quality outing from this deeply strange show. It's a type of fantasy/scifi that you don't see too much, it's more NewAge/gaia type mysticism than magic with rules/dragons/fireballs. But I really like it, the acting is top-notch and the story is weird and twisty in a way I find really enjoyable. Plus Marling is perfect for the role of OA, she is great at making the crazy stuff sound believable. In S1 when it was so unclear whether she was lying or telling the truth, it was easy to see why the others believed her.

Also, huge props to the kid who plays Buck, (S2 spoilers) the actor is an IRL trans man, and to play both the male and female versions of your character in different realities is gutsy as hell, especially for a teen actor.

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah, that wasn't obvious at all... like how the gently caress did you come up with that?

I didn't see it as confusing either, the ending of S1 was about her trying to jump to another dimension, so when a different version of her collapsed and awoke as Prairie, I figured she hadn't died in the gunshot and had instead transferred to another reality. Also at the end of S1 you could hear a "Woosh" sound as she was in the ambulance, hinting that she had jumped.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ishamael posted:

I didn't see it as confusing either, the ending of S1 was about her trying to jump to another dimension, so when a different version of her collapsed and awoke as Prairie, I figured she hadn't died in the gunshot and had instead transferred to another reality. Also at the end of S1 you could hear a "Woosh" sound as she was in the ambulance, hinting that she had jumped.

I watched it twice and never noticed that.

minema
May 31, 2011
I've been rewatching Parks and Recreation and I just got to Ben and Chris arriving and I just love this show so much

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The show LITERALLY improves so much when Brendanaquitz.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Rocksicles posted:

I watched it twice and never noticed that.

Check it out, it's there. Also, the fact that Steve is running after the ambulance screaming "OA take me with you!" is a hint as well .

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

minema posted:

I've been rewatching Parks and Recreation and I just got to Ben and Chris arriving and I just love this show so much

Parks and Rec has incredible rewatchability. I didn't catch it during it's original run, but I'd be surprised if I haven't seen every episode multiple times now. I was more of a 30 Rock guy.....but I think that Parks and Rec is the superior show. I wasn't on The Office train during it's original run either....so I've been able to binge through the series from the beginning on netflix.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

DarkCrawler posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, this show is loving hilarious!

Yeah....consistantly high quality. It's exceeded all expectations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I really wanted Hanna to be as good as the first episode dropped weeks ago but it's just not delivering. Around episode 3 they leave the path of the movie but not taking it into any interesting new directions. The leads are great but the action is shot poorly and a lot of time is spent on the weakest part of the show, the family Hanna meets when she escapes. One scene stands out as especially poor when Heller is lured into a trap and despite being fired on by a SWAT team on an airfield runway and chased by cars he still gets away, the bullet wounds he takes healing in about three days. They should have not just used the locations from Strike Back but also some of their action direction.

While Esmee Creed-Miles as Hanna is good it's Mireille Enos in Cate Blanchett's role who really shines, especially when in a scene with Joel Kinnaman. Maybe I should go back to The Killing, back when it aired I could not get into it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished episode three of the second season of Fleabag, and I am really enjoying it. Honestly the first season was so good and had such a perfect gut-punch ending that I was skeptical about a second season, but now I am on board for as many as she can do while keeping the quality so high.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CeeJee posted:

I really wanted Hanna to be as good as the first episode dropped weeks ago but it's just not delivering. Around episode 3 they leave the path of the movie but not taking it into any interesting new directions. The leads are great but the action is shot poorly and a lot of time is spent on the weakest part of the show, the family Hanna meets when she escapes. One scene stands out as especially poor when Heller is lured into a trap and despite being fired on by a SWAT team on an airfield runway and chased by cars he still gets away, the bullet wounds he takes healing in about three days. They should have not just used the locations from Strike Back but also some of their action direction.

While Esmee Creed-Miles as Hanna is good it's Mireille Enos in Cate Blanchett's role who really shines, especially when in a scene with Joel Kinnaman. Maybe I should go back to The Killing, back when it aired I could not get into it.

I really liked Hannah, it was different enough from the movie for it to be interesting. If it get's another season i'll be stoked for it to be a completely new thing.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Trig Discipline posted:

Just finished episode three of the second season of Fleabag, and I am really enjoying it. Honestly the first season was so good and had such a perfect gut-punch ending that I was skeptical about a second season, but now I am on board for as many as she can do while keeping the quality so high.

Finished the second series in one sitting. It gave me everything I wanted from Fleabag. Sure, it exchanged some of the raw intensity of the first series for a more mature, resolution driven story, but it did so consciously and purposefully and created a worthy addition to what I always thought was an absolutely perfect stand alone piece.

And as far as I know, that will be the end of it: Fleabag will not return. The finale made that clear, to me.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Just finished season 3 of Santa Clarita Diet. I'm hooked and I want more.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Meatgrinder posted:

Finished the second series in one sitting. It gave me everything I wanted from Fleabag. Sure, it exchanged some of the raw intensity of the first series for a more mature, resolution driven story, but it did so consciously and purposefully and created a worthy addition to what I always thought was an absolutely perfect stand alone piece.

And as far as I know, that will be the end of it: Fleabag will not return. The finale made that clear, to me.

Just finished the finale, and it definitely seems like goodbye. Several of the cast have said so too, although not Waller-Bridge as far as I can find. I'd be skeptical about a third series being necessary, honestly, but then again I thought that about a second series and it was fantastic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Just finished season 3 of Santa Clarita Diet. I'm hooked and I want more.

I'm not sure how I feel about how they finished the season... BUT I KNOW I NEED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!

Which is basically how I felt after S1 and 2. This show is the king of cliffhangers.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don’t know if it really counts as binging since there’s only 3 episodes so far but I zoomed through “ What We Do In The Shadows” in one sitting and cant wait for the next new one. Every single character just crushes it. Where has Matt Berry been all my life?

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Don’t know if it really counts as binging since there’s only 3 episodes so far but I zoomed through “ What We Do In The Shadows” in one sitting and cant wait for the next new one. Every single character just crushes it. Where has Matt Berry been all my life?

If you love Matt Berry as much as I do, you can catch him in Toast of London, Mighty Boosh, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, and IT Crowd

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My dumb brain keeps telling me the Laszlo is Jemaine Clement even though I know he's not and they don't even look all that similar. I hope Jemaine shows up at some point but the show is pretty drat good already even without him.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Norse Code posted:

If you love Matt Berry as much as I do, you can catch him in Toast of London, Mighty Boosh, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, and IT Crowd

Don’t forget the best one, Snuff Box

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Agreed. Santa Clarita Diet's silly and good.

If you like silly comedies, give it a couple episodes.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Raspberry Bang posted:

Don’t forget the best one, Snuff Box

That's the one I haven't seen yet! It's on my list!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Accretionist posted:

I second that, and Schitt's Creek has proven to be a big surprise, Catherine O'Hara as Moira Rose has fast become one of my favourite comedy characters, and the whole show has way more heart than you'd expect from the premise.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

First three eps of Champagne Ill are free on YouTube and it's solid

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

I second that, and Schitt's Creek has proven to be a big surprise, Catherine O'Hara as Moira Rose has fast become one of my favourite comedy characters, and the whole show has way more heart than you'd expect from the premise.

I really didn’t like the first couple episodes, does it improve or is what you see at the beginning what you get?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

I really didn’t like the first couple episodes, does it improve or is what you see at the beginning what you get?

It took me several episodes to really warm to it, mostly because it felt like it was just going to be about insufferable rich assholes being fish out of water in a small town, but then it starts going a different direction and the characters actually develop in ways that draws you in.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Season 2 is out?

Thank you thread!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Season 2 is out?

Thank you thread!

It's done in the UK.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

It took me several episodes to really warm to it, mostly because it felt like it was just going to be about insufferable rich assholes being fish out of water in a small town, but then it starts going a different direction and the characters actually develop in ways that draws you in.

It really is an amazing show. It's corny and overly sweet at times, but for some reason it just works. And anything that pairs Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara is usually amazing.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

It really is an amazing show. It's corny and overly sweet at times, but for some reason it just works. And anything that pairs Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara is usually amazing.

I love the way Moira Rose pronounces certain words, it's really gets across a lot about her character, using random "sophisticated" continental pronunciations, which she's probably picked up working on various trashy European movies.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm plowing through Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. The series starts off a bit rough (some strange editing choices, etc), which I put down to it being a production from a country with a relatively small TV industry, but it really finds its stride later in the first season. And for those of you who like unresolved sexual tension, boy does this have it in droves. I initially wasn't a fan of the direction they went with Miss Fisher's main romantic interest, as it's very different from the books, but it really works.

I've read most of the books, some of them before I started watching the show and some after, and it's interesting to compare the two. On balance the books are probably slightly better, but they've done a good job of adapting the stories to the limitations of TV (combining characters, simplifying convoluted mysteries, etc). And the differences are sometimes major enough that I don't feel too spoiled if I've read one of the books before seeing the episode or vice versa.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm plowing through Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. The series starts off a bit rough (some strange editing choices, etc), which I put down to it being a production from a country with a relatively small TV industry, but it really finds its stride later in the first season. And for those of you who like unresolved sexual tension, boy does this have it in droves. I initially wasn't a fan of the direction they went with Miss Fisher's main romantic interest, as it's very different from the books, but it really works.

I've read most of the books, some of them before I started watching the show and some after, and it's interesting to compare the two. On balance the books are probably slightly better, but they've done a good job of adapting the stories to the limitations of TV (combining characters, simplifying convoluted mysteries, etc). And the differences are sometimes major enough that I don't feel too spoiled if I've read one of the books before seeing the episode or vice versa.

Oh and I forgot one of my favorite things about this show: the occasional, truly dire attempts at American accents by Australian guest stars.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I just finished The Terror, it was so good I binged the last 5 episodes. Really well acted, tense, scary, and has a really solid ending. Hopefully season 2, which is a completely different story, will be just as good.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Accretionist posted:

We're looking for an after-work, kids-to-bed comedy. I keep seeing this in my netflix screen, will give it a go, thanks.

We are finishing up season 2 of Queen of the South, but it's terrible. We've been making fun of it since S2 started really.

I also still have to watch The Shield, but I have no real means of viewing it, it seems (Netherlands).
Think I only ever watched a bit of season 1.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on Netflix and it was a weirdly enjoyable experience. I know that there's more on Crunchyroll and Hulu but I really don't know how the series continued after this craziness.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's trash

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TV Zombie posted:

Just finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on Netflix and it was a weirdly enjoyable experience. I know that there's more on Crunchyroll and Hulu but I really don't know how the series continued after this craziness.

If you just saw season 1 and liked it you should continue on. Season 1 and 2 are generally considered the weaker entries and it gets crazier as it goes on.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Trying to get through the second season of Star Trek Discovery but it feels really sluggish. I remember really enjoying the first season, it had a great feel and look and an underdog main character being dragged along on a wild ride. Now the plot feels way more boring and its pace seems entirely broken: they'll be in some kind of incredibly pressing crisis that requires immediate action and then they'll... talk about their emotions for ten minutes?

I will probably keep still watch all of it but I have already started fast forwarding through very boring and predictable bits that just keep being dragged out, which is not a good sign.

e: finished it. A tedious season with a tedious finale. I do hope they make a third season with a better balance between the action/adventure storylines and the character development. Also no lense flares.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 22, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been hearing that season 2 is a lot more classic Trek so I really want to check it out again. I never made it past the first few episodes. I'm curious if you liked the other Star Trek shows? I'm thinking of watching the Seth McFarlane one too.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been hearing that season 2 is a lot more classic Trek so I really want to check it out again. I never made it past the first few episodes. I'm curious if you liked the other Star Trek shows? I'm thinking of watching the Seth McFarlane one too.

I grew up with Next Generation and reruns of the original series. Really liked Deep Space Nine and disliked Voyager. Never watched Enterprise and never really felt drawn to it. I watched a handful episodes of the first season of The Oreville until my awe at the way the look and feel of Next Generation was succesfully emulated waned and I started to be annoyed at the derivative plots. I did enjoy the silly humor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I've never been a classic trek or any trek fan, but i love this show and my strepdad is an ear wearing wondersperg about trek. He loves this show and particularly this season. he's always pointing stuff out and giving me an ear bashing about it.