Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my idea for Clown Lore is that they're all super annoying and difficult to deal with because they communicate almost exclusively with honks and screams, so no one likes to deal with them. Clowntown would be more like Clown Quarantine Zone where they live out their lives peacefully between savage beatings by roving raiders/bandits/wildlife/traders. Steady himself is so bad that the other Clowns exiled him.

The whole region will absolutely have small packs of clowns spawning only to get murdered to death by crabs and beak things because they suck. All of this is just an excuse to make a Clown Vendor because people want blueprints for clown gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Babe Magnet posted:

my idea for Clown Lore is that they're all super annoying and difficult to deal with because they communicate almost exclusively with honks and screams, so no one likes to deal with them. Clowntown would be more like Clown Quarantine Zone where they live out their lives peacefully between savage beatings by roving raiders/bandits/wildlife/traders. Steady himself is so bad that the other Clowns exiled him.

Sounds like the parent species of Shrieking Bandits

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
E: /\ that would explain so much

Any way to give them high toughness so they can take a really good beating, but also lock their attack skills low so they forever suck

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Babe Magnet posted:

a Clown Vendor because people want blueprints for clown gear.

Flower - short ranged spray, does acid damage
Pie - medium ranged aoe, also reduces your hunger
Fish bat - does blunt damage, smelly. chance on attracting crabs
Clown shoes - makes honking noises, negative to stealth
Balloon sword - ??

Oh sorry, I'm just making your work harder now.

:classiclol:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where can I safely stash stuff in the early game?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Some of the buildings in The Hub are fairly cheap to buy, plus you will have to buy building materials to rebuild them. A few thousand at most.
Most cities and even some of the swamp villages have a building you can buy. If you build away from a town it becomes an outpost, then you risk getting raided.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks.

ALT shows me all the items on screen, is there a button to show me all the dudes? Hate overlooking a guard.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Thanks.

ALT shows me all the items on screen, is there a button to show me all the dudes? Hate overlooking a guard.

When you sneak your icon goes from blue being hid to red being seen. F1 should have some text on sneaking. and stealing.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
This is a really entertaining Kenshi video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCv-mSp1DQ

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I think someone's been listening:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah sure go for it, you can post it in here if you want or message me, doesn't really matter. Quests in Kenshi really just amount to some dialogue unlocking more dialogue or a note telling you to go somewhere lol

I approve of any clown related quests that hint at Dropsy. If you could paint a bonedog pup with clown makeup I would love this. Also I've *heard* that its possible to build in venge and be safe indoors since its technically a weather condition. I love the idea of there being one place there that even skeletons won't go (plus it would make sense why the whole area is still bombarded to this day and what's a circus without lights?)

Veering into the realms of poo poo that'll never happen, a scorched, sloppily painted with big top colours outpost-IV building would be majestic as gently caress. Is it possible to add lore books? Some kind of New Vegas' Kings thing would be pretty lol because some lovely sad clown painting over a shitter survived the apocalypse or some Lecoq book made its way to the planet and was adapted as a bible and terrible, terrible martial arts style.

The Lone Badger posted:

As a rule of thumb, all early drops are vendor trash. But your first port of call should be to buy a building in a town just to get some research going. I'd say your priorities would be get a backpack (trader preferably) > building > research bench > bed(s), ore (for some reason "ore storage" is iron ore, but copper or storage is called "copper ore storage") > general, food. Till then keep everything on your person you're not selling, it helps with strength training.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Leal posted:

Brother! Care to join me for a Prayer Day?

E: Can someone make an alteration of that one image with the American soldier wiping blood on his face while America steals Iraq's oil, but instead its a paladin wiping oil on his face while an inquisitor kills skeletons in the background, with the above as a caption?

Not exactly your request, but I hope it's close enough!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Amuys posted:

Not exactly your request, but I hope it's close enough!

Accepted.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wit posted:

I approve of any clown related quests that hint at Dropsy. If you could paint a bonedog pup with clown makeup I would love this. Also I've *heard* that its possible to build in venge and be safe indoors since its technically a weather condition. I love the idea of there being one place there that even skeletons won't go (plus it would make sense why the whole area is still bombarded to this day and what's a circus without lights?)

Veering into the realms of poo poo that'll never happen, a scorched, sloppily painted with big top colours outpost-IV building would be majestic as gently caress. Is it possible to add lore books? Some kind of New Vegas' Kings thing would be pretty lol because some lovely sad clown painting over a shitter survived the apocalypse or some Lecoq book made its way to the planet and was adapted as a bible and terrible, terrible martial arts style.

Venge is a pretty pro place because that means you'll occasionally crest a hill to see a random clown get toasted by a wandering death lazer and that's a real good mental image. "The Big Top" is what I actually settled on for a name for Clown Town (their leader is the Ringmaster obv.), I'll see how difficult it would be to go in and edit some textures to make it look really sloppily painted.

As for lore-books, that's actually one of the easier things to add. Just pick an icon in the FCS and write in a bunch of text for the item's description.

Clown Lore History right now is that once upon a time, long past, being a Clown was a noble profession and everyone loved them, but it came at a terrible cost: to fully embrace Clownitude, you had to be genetically modified to remove the limiters on your natural Mirth. This practice spiraled out of control, and created abominations, so the entire Clown population had to be culled by the Skeletons, who are immune to the effects of Mirth. Thus began the Skeleton/Clown Turbo-War, which the Skeletons won super hard.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 31, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
P sure we have enough people here to get this to trend into the top of the popular list, too

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Venge is a pretty pro place because that means you'll occasionally crest a hill to see a random clown get toasted by a wandering death lazer and that's a real good mental image. "The Big Top" is what I actually settled on for a name for Clown Town (their leader is the Ringmaster obv.), I'll see how difficult it would be to go in and edit some textures to make it look really sloppily painted.

As for lore-books, that's actually one of the easier things to add. Just pick an icon in the FCS and write in a bunch of text for the item's description.

Clown Lore History right now is that once upon a time, long past, being a Clown was a noble profession and everyone loved them, but it came at a terrible cost: to fully embrace Clownitude, you had to be genetically modified to remove the limiters on your natural Mirth. This practice spiraled out of control, and created abominations, so the entire Clown population had to be culled by the Skeletons, who are immune to the effects of Mirth. Thus began the Skeleton/Clown Turbo-War, which the Skeletons won super hard.

You're doin God's work.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

P sure we have enough people here to get this to trend into the top of the popular list, too

e: ranted something, but gently caress brigading, lets all just sub it when its good and ready.

wit fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 31, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm not sure what the rant was, but I'm sure the guy just meant that enough people read the thread that just subscribing all at once would be enough to push any mod into the popular mods list for the week.

I mean, it's not like this game is that popular.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah exactly, we got baka things into like the #2 spot

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I-its not like I LIKE the mod or anything, b-baka

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not sure what the rant was, but I'm sure the guy just meant that enough people read the thread that just subscribing all at once would be enough to push any mod into the popular mods list for the week.

I mean, it's not like this game is that popular.

it was instructions to fine tune a bump in interest by gaming the mod system and involved suggestions of unsubbing and getting the mod all on the same day since unsubbing has no stats.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's literally zero need to game the system, have you seen how much idiotic poo poo the kenshi community will hoover up

I do feel like a clown mod will combine excellently with the crucifixion mod

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I'm sure nobody needs to do that. It's easy to see that Baka Things managed to nearly top the list just by being there and being kind of funny.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's literally zero need to game the system, have you seen how much idiotic poo poo the kenshi community will hoover up

I do feel like a clown mod will combine excellently with the crucifixion mod

Yeah I got that, I felt like a channer tard for suggesting it. And the mystery is now as long as the autopsy woulda been. Goons can goon things without direction.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

What the whole gently caress is going on in this Venge place :stonk:

Kenshi owns

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Giant orbital child with a giant orbital magnification glass. Basically, you get to experience what ants feel like.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

What the whole gently caress is going on in this Venge place :stonk:

Kenshi owns

We just don't know. Its safe at night we know that much so it must be solar. I blame humans, it looks like its been happening for centuries and bots are fine with it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Best guess is orbital solar power relays that have been weaponized.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Go to the Eye sometime. You will see something that would be a good fit for something exactly like that.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Clark Nova posted:

Best guess is orbital solar power relays that have been weaponized.

uh no it's clearly angry wizards or maybe okran's wrath?? what even is an "orbital" smdh

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That's incredibly cool. The more I play this game the more I adore it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I feel exactly the same way, really. It's kind of incredible how much stuff there is in this game that doesn't matter at all, but makes the world feel so much more complete and real. Kenshi feels like a place that has history, and you can see it all over the place, even if you have no idea what it is.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Go to the Eye sometime. You will see something that would be a good fit for something exactly like that.

I'm pretty sure if you visit The Eye with two robots in your party, they'll talk about how that's basically exactly what that thing is, a crashed version of whatever is causing the solar death ray. They say "yeah it's good that thing finally crashed, too bad the other one is still working..."

e: usually I hate open-world games filled with lore (Fallout, Elder Scrolls) because they get too hung up on telling a story like it's LotR where the things they care about are dates and places and time frames and logistics. Kenshi has barely any of that poo poo and instead it's almost all "here's a totally wild thing that will inform you about the history of the world," but the lore is secondary to the fact that the things you're actively encountering are cool as hell.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 31, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cardiovorax posted:

I feel exactly the same way, really. It's kind of incredible how much stuff there is in this game that doesn't matter at all, but makes the world feel so much more complete and real. Kenshi feels like a place that has history, and you can see it all over the place, even if you have no idea what it is.

I get a very Morrowind vibe from it, not just because the place is a barren hellscape blasted by ash and sand.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

I get a very Morrowind vibe from it, not just because the place is a barren hellscape blasted by ash and sand.
It has a lot of the same atmosphere and vibe to it, yes. There's really no reason for there to be something like the 36 Lessons of Vivec in that game, but they are, and the whole thing feels richer for it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress outta here

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wit posted:

As a rule of thumb, all early drops are vendor trash. But your first port of call should be to buy a building in a town just to get some research going. I'd say your priorities would be get a backpack (trader preferably) > building > research bench > bed(s), ore (for some reason "ore storage" is iron ore, but copper or storage is called "copper ore storage") > general, food. Till then keep everything on your person you're not selling, it helps with strength training.

I have a couple of Rebirth-trained ninjas visiting nearby cities and stealing them dry, so I have a ton of unsold loot to stash. The noob-crew have been set to work distant deposits to train strength and athletics without me having to click.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

anyone know how to do that trick where you open your save in the FCS and change a character in your squad's faction color or whatever so that whatever armor they craft or equip automatically changes colorable armor to that color? I can find a way to edit their stats but I can't find any information on doing the faction swap thing. I have a mod that lets me set my own faction color but it makes EVERYTHING the same color which looks like garbage.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Just started playing this, and I went for the guy with a dog start.

First game, I ran out of Bast, rogue farmers beat me unconcious, cannibals came along and one picked me up (i guess to cart me off and eat), but then samurai came and beat up the cannibals. Then they buggered off without healing me. Then I died.

Next try i managed to scavenge some bonedog meat and cook it, so we're no longer hungry now.

I have to ask though, assuming no previous knowledge of the game like town locations etc., what's the "intended" way of playing this start? Just wander off in a direction until you find something?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

megalodong posted:

Just started playing this, and I went for the guy with a dog start.

First game, I ran out of Bast, rogue farmers beat me unconcious, cannibals came along and one picked me up (i guess to cart me off and eat), but then samurai came and beat up the cannibals. Then they buggered off without healing me. Then I died.

Next try i managed to scavenge some bonedog meat and cook it, so we're no longer hungry now.

I have to ask though, assuming no previous knowledge of the game like town locations etc., what's the "intended" way of playing this start? Just wander off in a direction until you find something?

i found a town called drin thats full of neutral samurai just to the northeast of where you start and i would hang around there and loot the kills of the samurais (cannibals and holy nation guys attack a lot) to buy food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

megalodong posted:

Yeah, you can pretty much do this. A ton of towns will have maps you can buy that will lead you to other towns, and also abandoned libraries will have maps in them as well, so even though I went into the game without a map, I managed to find a lot of location-based goals just from the info I gained from those. A lot of the starts will place you in the Holy Nation which is, comparatively, a pretty safe area with high town density where you can accrue a lot of info and even party members. The early game is hard no matter what though, so starting off, especially if you're new to the game, can be a lot of trial and error of surviving your first few encounters