Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is winnable, but dodging the tentacles sucks and after you break Urizen's barrier he'll pop it back up after you do damage to him and his damage doubles from then on and he's a lot more aggressive. It's kind of a tough fight for Nero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Good to hear, I will just try harder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't seen anyone talk about this yet but isn't anyone else slightly bothered that Dante and Vergil look nothing alike when they're supposed to be twins?
I'm not sure why they didn't use the same model for both.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't seen anyone talk about this yet but isn't anyone else slightly bothered that Dante and Vergil look nothing alike when they're supposed to be twins?

Twins can be fraternal without being identical :shrug: I always thought them being identical twins was a limitation of the PS2 and not a canon thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mind you, Vergil looking just like Dante during the battle in the rain in DMC3 was a legit cool moment.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I've seen some screenshots of Vergil faceswapped with Dante's face and honestly... it just doesn't really work.

IMO the two models they've chosen have enough of a resemblance that I can buy that they're twins, even though they're not identical ones.

Don't get me wrong, it worked well in DMC3, but here I think they made the right choice to emphasize the two character's different personalities.

Besides, there's the chance that having your twink humanity and your tentacle monster demonhood rejoin after having adventures and experiences for a month might slightly rearrange your facial features too.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
To be fair, I don't think the face model they chose for Vergil is that great. I'm not a fan of the jawline, I'd rather they have found someone more similar to Dante there since that + the piercing gaze are really Vergil's most defining visual characteristics thanks to his hairdo.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There! Now I never have to play V again outside of Bloody Palace.

Whoever said V is a great first attempt at a character was spot on. This style of gameplay is something we've really never seen before. The thought of being able to replace Shadow, Griffin, and Nightmare with other equippable creatures, to be able to combine different critter combos and arrange teams based on different needs, that poo poo gets me excited. V is a necessary first step, and he has a lot of weaknesses that come with being such. In that way, he's a lot like DMC1; an experiment, a first foray into something new and potentially exciting, with a lot of interesting ideas, some of which are hits, and some of which are misses. But his flaws are the kind that could easily be fixed, and the idea he is centered around could really be fleshed out into something amazing in a sequel (or two).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, the only things I don't care for with Vergíl's design this time around is the outfit color and that he doesn't have that lock of hair sticking out like he did before.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Spergatory posted:

There! Now I never have to play V again outside of Bloody Palace.

Whoever said V is a great first attempt at a character was spot on. This style of gameplay is something we've really never seen before. The thought of being able to replace Shadow, Griffin, and Nightmare with other equippable creatures, to be able to combine different critter combos and arrange teams based on different needs, that poo poo gets me excited. V is a necessary first step, and he has a lot of weaknesses that come with being such. In that way, he's a lot like DMC1; an experiment, a first foray into something new and potentially exciting, with a lot of interesting ideas, some of which are hits, and some of which are misses. But his flaws are the kind that could easily be fixed, and the idea he is centered around could really be fleshed out into something amazing in a sequel (or two).

Technically he's a second attempt. The first attempt was Sieg in Chaos Legion.

sorta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s16R3yLI5W8&t=3s

God I really wanted another, more fleshed out Sieg.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm on the final lovely scoring mission, 18, DMD. I can pretty much beat anything in the level cleanly, even the bosses, thanks to judicious use of rockets and Trickster. Style, of course, is the problem.

Any advice for squeezing as much blood (style points) from this stone?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dante's BP taunt has him slick his hair back and he looks a lot like Vergil in that animation so :shrug:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m gonna assume they look more different because Dante probably aged a lot more than Vergil while he was getting his rear end kicked and recuperating
Also yeah his outfit should’ve been bright loving blue and Dante’s bright loving red but I guess I understand why the colors are more muted and drab this time around

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Virgil was dead for a while, I guess? I don’t know what he was doing after 1.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I like how dante looks so much more Haggard. He's the wild one and they're both old enough for that kind of thing to start to show up. Also cool that the hero and player character is the scumbag haha.

So on the topic of git gud: when I see attacks coming, am I jumping out of the way? I keep getting hit because I see the attack coming but want to parry or roll and it just doesn't seem to go well.

Like I'm too used to slower combat with fewer enemies from other games

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like how Dante should be the most cliched special deviantart oc character with being a half demon silver haired swordsman in a red long coat but they make it work because he’s the world's biggest goofball who is just having so much fun and doesn’t take poo poo seriously

Also I wish there were dlcs of his different outfits. I wanna see an updated version of his dmc2 costume and also his chaps from 4

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The problem with pretty much every OC DO NUT STEEL is that they demand to be taken seriously.

Dante dies, basically, in the first 20 minutes of the first game you meet him in and only gets more relatable from there. Hey wait a minute, I ALSO love pizza!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I like how Dante should be the most cliched special deviantart oc character with being a half demon silver haired swordsman in a red long coat but they make it work because he’s the world's biggest goofball who is just having so much fun and doesn’t take poo poo seriously

Also I wish there were dlcs of his different outfits. I wanna see an updated version of his dmc2 costume and also his chaps from 4

Dante is the most cliched special deviantart oc character but completely embraces it which I think is what makes it work. Like it's goofy but it's largely unironic "I think this poo poo is cool" goofy mixed with genuine humor instead of being painfully self-aware about it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dante is the character you think is the most cliched deviantart OC until Vergil shows up, and then you remember what real deviantart OCs are like.

DMC3 is the game that defined Dante, and it was able to do that because of how absolutely ridiculous a character Vergil is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Where's DMC2 in the timeline at this point?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Before 4

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Did y'all know that the Sonic Hedgehog wannabe spin-lizards have a long range spit attack? I've S Ranked this game on everything through DMD, and I sure loving didn't, but I sure as Hell and Hell know it now! :suicide:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Xguard86 posted:

I like how dante looks so much more Haggard. He's the wild one and they're both old enough for that kind of thing to start to show up. Also cool that the hero and player character is the scumbag haha.

So on the topic of git gud: when I see attacks coming, am I jumping out of the way? I keep getting hit because I see the attack coming but want to parry or roll and it just doesn't seem to go well.

Like I'm too used to slower combat with fewer enemies from other games

Depends on which character you're playing as, but there is also a timing element to it - dodging too early/late you can get caught during an enemy's attack, parrying is easiest with enemies with actual weapons (again timing) but the window is small.

V can parry certain attacks with his cane swipe, but is very squishy, and it's generally advisable to dodge, and keep him mid-range away from his enemies.
Nero can always use his Arm break move, or parry, or Table Hop to get out of a situation.
Dante can block every attack with Royal Guard, but it requires good timing - although this game has actually made it easier to get "Alright" timing. There's also Trickster style, which gives i-frames during dodges. Also his Devil Trigger makes him more resistant to flinching; he'll still take damage, but will mostly not be interrupted by attacks (mostly). Oh, and Balrog's punch mode is pretty good, as I've had Dante weave out of close range attacks - or maybe that's just how it appeared. :shrug:

Discendo Vox posted:

Where's DMC2 in the timeline at this point?

Pretty sure it's now Elements of the DMC novel->DMC3->Pre-DMC1 Elements of the DMC novel->DMC1->Anime->DMC2->DMC4->DMC5 Prequel novel/V Manga->DMC5.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 31, 2019

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I actually kind of like how Vergil isn't exactly a looker in this game. He didn't age particularly great, but he looks like a pretty normal guy in his 40s still carrying around a loving katana.

Also I like V as a concept but there is too much about him that seems contradictory. His movement options bring out both shadow and Gryphon, but some of his attacks essentially require them to not be out to use them with any real consistency. I'm also not sure about the whole thing with using DT to power them up, because I saw the notification once and couldn't find it in the moves list. It's DT+Their Button, right? Every time I tried doing that he would just summon Nightmare. He feels like a character they got close to nailing, but didn't quite work because of the preconceptions the game already makes about the control scheme.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's not the nightmare button, there's one dedicated to powering them up.

It would have been much better used as a secondary button to give him more options.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Momomo posted:

I'm also not sure about the whole thing with using DT to power them up, because I saw the notification once and couldn't find it in the moves list. It's DT+Their Button, right? Every time I tried doing that he would just summon Nightmare. He feels like a character they got close to nailing, but didn't quite work because of the preconceptions the game already makes about the control scheme.

LT/L2 on default controls.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

I actually kind of like how Vergil isn't exactly a looker in this game. He didn't age particularly great, but he looks like a pretty normal guy in his 40s still carrying around a loving katana.

Also I like V as a concept but there is too much about him that seems contradictory. His movement options bring out both shadow and Gryphon, but some of his attacks essentially require them to not be out to use them with any real consistency. I'm also not sure about the whole thing with using DT to power them up, because I saw the notification once and couldn't find it in the moves list. It's DT+Their Button, right? Every time I tried doing that he would just summon Nightmare. He feels like a character they got close to nailing, but didn't quite work because of the preconceptions the game already makes about the control scheme.

There's an "Auto Attack" button in V's controls. Hold that down, then hit their button. Mash it to feed them more and make it last longer.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, the only things I don't care for with Vergíl's design this time around is the outfit color and that he doesn't have that lock of hair sticking out like he did before.

I’m not sure how but you can unlock an ex colour outfit for him that has more vibrant colours, more like 3 & 4. I got it from the after credits scene in Heaven or Hell (I’d already unlocked the V ex colour)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You can also unlock it by beating the credits in Hell and Hell, though why in God's name would you want to do that when apparently Heaven and Hell works just as well? (I beat HaH before HoH)

In other news, I'm getting pretty good at No Damaging Cavalier Angelo on SoS. Cerberus makes it easy to repeatedly clash with them, which gets you loads of style and DT, which you can then feed into SDT to be used freely when they are recharging their sword. Gonna try the whole level on HaH now. Wish me luck! :science:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Spergatory posted:

Did y'all know that the Sonic Hedgehog wannabe spin-lizards have a long range spit attack? I've S Ranked this game on everything through DMD, and I sure loving didn't, but I sure as Hell and Hell know it now! :suicide:

lmao I also died because of this in hell and hell and was shocked I hadn't seen that attack until then

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/dev1_official/status/1112511776686407680?s=19

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:perfect:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/dev1_official/status/1112525796541816832?s=19

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm actually kind of enjoying S ranking Hell and Hell now, mostly because I've figured out the best way to practice is to just run the same levels on SOS and reset to checkpoint every time I take damage. It's been fun, practicing individual rooms, doing fights I know will give me trouble over and over until I can practically do them with my eyes closed. Now I've got a lot of these fights down to a science.

Sometimes poo poo gets a little wonky, but in the end, I'm managing. Today, I managed to S Rank missions 7, 8, and 10 with no damage, and was aiming for the same with mission 11, but I died to the boss and decided to finish it anyway and somehow got the S on raw style alone, no multipliers needed. Don't know how, but I'll take it!

New discoveries of the day:
- A good way to Style Farm as Nero is the "Captive Audience" trick. Nero can grab and hold enemies if you just press and hold the Buster button. They can't hurt you while you're holding them, and most of them can't escape, but the game still considers them active, so you can use Nero's EX taunt and make them watch you dance for a massive style boost (and like six bars of Devil Trigger). Hell, if you DT, you can grab two enemies at once, un-DT, and keep holding them! The EX taunt will give you WAY more DT than you use grabbing them, and the more enemies you kill at high style, the higher your score will be! The more the merrier!
- You can instantly kill a Fury on SOS and below by hitting them with a DT'd Real Impact when they spawn, and GOOD GOD does it feel euphoric every. Single. loving. Time. Not today, fucker! Just be sure to DT after starting the wind up, but before the punch actually lands, to prevent the summoned swords from doing the buzzsaw thing. If that hits him, he'll teleport away before the punch can land. Real Impact needs to be the first (and last) thing he feels upon arrival.
- Mission 12 can gently caress right off.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ImpAtom posted:

Dante is the most cliched special deviantart oc character but completely embraces it which I think is what makes it work. Like it's goofy but it's largely unironic "I think this poo poo is cool" goofy mixed with genuine humor instead of being painfully self-aware about it.

It helps that if you read between the lines, Dante is actually a huge loser who has terrible luck with women, and can barely pay rent because spends all his money on coats and pizza.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dante is badass actually

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you think Dante is a loser get the hell out of this thread, he's the coolest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

If you think Dante is a loser get the hell out of this thread, he's the coolest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX4u4J6m5Pg

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Captain Baal posted:

If you think Dante is a loser get the hell out of this thread, Team Ninja, he's the coolest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Virgil somehow managed to father a child. Dante has never made it to a second date- he's basically Johnny Bravo.

I hope he becomes a playable character skin.