Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TV time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ala Carte channels. It looks like stuff you can already subscribe to independently.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure how this is wildly different than their current TV app implementation other than the fact that they've rebranded the individual services as ala carte "channels".

Which is good because the current TV app implementation is good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ah, here it is. I was wondering why they weren't mentioning original content.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol here's where they invite a bunch of Hollywood celebs on stage and it gets awkward.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

American McGay posted:

lol here's where they invite a bunch of Hollywood celebs on stage and it gets awkward.

Yup, you called it.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

They have been very shy on the costs of mosts of these services. I think the only one they have shown a price for is the News+?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

badjohny posted:

They have been very shy on the costs of mosts of these services. I think the only one they have shown a price for is the News+?

Yeah that's the only price I've seen.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Wipr is suddenly blocking (some) Youtube videos. Anyone else experiencing this? Should I just get a different adblocker or is there a workaround?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xabi posted:

Wipr is suddenly blocking (some) Youtube videos. Anyone else experiencing this? Should I just get a different adblocker or is there a workaround?

Wipr stinks, get 1Blocker X.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

As they were announcing Oprah I half thought they were going to say “the most important voice is you” and offer some kind of YouTube competitor

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Weedle posted:

Wipr stinks, get 1Blocker X.
I love a quick solution. Thank you!

edit: having said that, the X is only for iOS devices and the mac version doesn't get a lot of love? Are they wrong?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 25, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xabi posted:

I love a quick solution. Thank you!

edit: having said that, the X is only for iOS devices and the mac version doesn't get a lot of love? Are they wrong?

gently caress, I thought I was in the iPhone thread. I just use uBlock Origin’s Safari extension on my Mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not that anyone gives two shits, but..

:siren: OS Updates have dropped :siren:

Security Update 2019-002 for Sierra
Security Update 2019-002 for High Sierra
macOS 10.14.4
Safari 12.1
Xcode 10.2

All out.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Binary Badger posted:

Not that anyone gives two shits, but..

:siren: OS Updates have dropped :siren:

Security Update 2019-002 for Sierra
Security Update 2019-002 for High Sierra
macOS 10.14.4
Safari 12.1
Xcode 10.2

All out.

Swift 5 as well. No more bundling the entire runtime if you target 10.14/whatever the latest IOS is.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also, not that anyone gives a rat's rear end, here's the link to the vaunted Combo Update for Mojave 10.14.4.

https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2019/macos/041-49222-20190325-34deb8ef-969c-4548-9760-da0a63e35e7d/macOSUpdCombo10.14.4.dmg

A whopping 2.6 GB, and it will upgrade your BootROM and T2 firmware.

On my Late 2015 rMBP, BootROM was upgraded from 180.0.0.0 to 182.0.0.0.

Holy poo poo, Safari 12.1 is loving fast.. it's entering passwords at an acclerated rate for me.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Drafts for Mac was released. I love their iOS app for super fast text input and this looks like a good first release. Syncing is free so there’s no nagging for basic functionality. Looks like a terrific compliment to their iOS app.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh yeah, forgot to list all the reasons you should update to 10.14.4, at least according to Apple:

Apple posted:

The macOS Mojave 10.14.4 update adds support for Apple News+, includes bug fixes and improvements, improves the stability and reliability of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

Apple News+

Apple News+ is a new subscription service that extends the Apple News experience with hundreds of magazines and top newspapers
Our editors handpick top articles and magazine issues, and you also get personalized recommendations on the topics most interesting to you
Automatic downloads make it easy to read magazine issues offline
Apple News is now available in Canada, with a free experience that includes handpicked Top Stories, a personalized Today feed, and support for both English and French
Apple News+ is available in the U.S. and in Canada, with dozens of additional Canadian magazines

Safari

Adds Dark Mode support for websites that support custom color schemes
Streamlines website login when filling credentials with Password AutoFill
Allows push notification prompts only after interacting with a website
Adds a warning when an insecure webpage is loaded
Removes support for the expired Do Not Track standard to prevent potential use as a fingerprinting variable; Intelligent Tracking Prevention now protects against cross-site tracking by default

iTunes
Shows more editorial highlights on a single page in the Browse tab, making it easier to discover new music, playlists, and more in Apple Music

AirPods
Adds support for new AirPods (2nd generation)

More
Supports Air Quality Index in Maps for US, UK and India
Improves the quality of audio recordings in Messages
Supports real-time text (RTT) for phone calls made through a nearby iPhone on Mac
Provides enhanced support for external GPUs in Activity Monitor
Fixes an App Store issue that may have prevented adoption of the latest versions of Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, and GarageBand
Improves the reliability of USB audio devices when used with MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini models introduced in 2018
Corrects the default screen brightness for MacBook Air (Fall 2018)
Fixes a graphics compatibility issue that may occur on some external displays connected to Mac mini (2018)
Resolves Wi-Fi connection issues that may occur after upgrading to macOS Mojave
Fixes an issue where re-adding an Exchange account may cause it to disappear from Internet Accounts
Fixes an issue where AOL user passwords may be frequently requested in Mail

For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209149

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How do I get osx to check for system updates. It says it last checked on the 13th.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
About This Mac > Software Update
or
System Preferences > Software Update

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, that's where I was. I guess System Preferences had been open too long in the background? There was no button to check for updates again. I opened it again and now it's offering the update.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Binary Badger posted:

Also, not that anyone gives a rat's rear end, here's the link to the vaunted Combo Update for Mojave 10.14.4.

https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2019/macos/041-49222-20190325-34deb8ef-969c-4548-9760-da0a63e35e7d/macOSUpdCombo10.14.4.dmg

A whopping 2.6 GB, and it will upgrade your BootROM and T2 firmware.

On my Late 2015 rMBP, BootROM was upgraded from 180.0.0.0 to 182.0.0.0.

Holy poo poo, Safari 12.1 is loving fast.. it's entering passwords at an acclerated rate for me.

Thanks for posting the combo link, I'm too lazy to google so that's helpful!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

American McGay posted:

Thank you for designing the ultimate titanium credit card Jony.

TELL ME ABOUT HOW THIN IT IS!!!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there anything in Safari that allows you to run javascript only on certain pages? I tried JSBlocker but had some issues with it (and it doesn't seem to be supported anymore).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For example if I try to login to my bank account I get stuff like this over and over, even after I disabled JS Blocker on the domains in question (chase.com and secure07a.chase.com)

edit: I finally found out how to turn this canvas thing off. Should I be using JSBlocker since it's not really active anymore?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 27, 2019

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Hit a bug with 10.14.4 and Mail.app - my older Google Apps (GSuite?) account will no longer authenticate, no matter what fuckery I do with adding/re-adding/2-factoring/keychain etc. Just gets into a loop of doing the web-based verification with Google. Seems other people are having similar issues (https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/26/gmail-macos-10-14-4-sign-in-fail/) so I guess I'll just wait till the brains-trust at Google and Apple figure it out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TACD posted:

There’s also Startpage, which apparently uses Google’s engine but acts as a middleman to prevent them getting any extra information. How they make money from that setup I have no idea.

Startpage runs Google Ads and says they’ve been profitable since 2004.

From their privacy policy:

quote:

How we keep Startpage.com free without using "personal data"

Without tracking ads - as we don’t share personal info with anyone.
Most online advertising today is personalized, meaning that online advertising services track what you do online and profile you in order to serve tailored ads., We don’t do that at Startpage.com. No tracking. No profiling!

Our search result pages may include a small number of clearly labeled "sponsored links", which generate revenue and cover our operational costs. Those links are retrieved from platforms such as Google Adwords. In order to enable the prevention of click fraud, some non-identifying system information is shared, but because we never share personal information or information that could uniquely identify you, the ads we display are not connected to any individual user.

It’s a myth that search engines need to profile you in order to earn decent money. Startpage.com serves strictly non-personalized ads. Sure, our ads make only a fraction of what other search engine ads make, but they pay all our bills.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

How do I get osx to check for system updates. It says it last checked on the 13th.

In the terminal of your choice, type.

code:
sudo softwareupdate -ia --restart

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Guy Axlerod posted:

Go to the Mac App Store

Furiously click on “updates”

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Go to the Mac App Store

Furiously click on “updates”

Not in Mojave, brah. It's in System Preferences / Software Update there.

Doing that in Mojave only checks for stuff from the App Store.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Any good suggestions for IRC clients? Textual was my go-to but for some reason, it's stopped allowing private servers (or IRC servers not on their list) to work and I haven't gotten any response from them if there's an actual issue.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I used Colloloquy back in the day but also remember it being extremely mediocre.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

I used Colloloquy back in the day but also remember it being extremely mediocre.

Yeah, I've got that semi-working for the moment but you're correct that it's fairly bare bones at this point.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Iterm2, homebrew, and weechat

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Seiyal posted:

Any good suggestions for IRC clients? Textual was my go-to but for some reason, it's stopped allowing private servers (or IRC servers not on their list) to work and I haven't gotten any response from them if there's an actual issue.
Still seems to be working here, albeit on my own server on my LAN.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
irssi on homebrew

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mad Wack posted:

irssi on homebrew

I run irssi in a cheap vps and then just keep it running with screen

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Bob Morales posted:

I run irssi in a cheap vps and then just keep it running with screentmux

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Eternal Terminal is useful for VPS+tmux stuff, since you can at least in theory just leave it open in a background window forever without having to manually reconnect after letting a machine sleep (as you sometimes do with mosh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

japtor posted:

Still seems to be working here, albeit on my own server on my LAN.

Yeah I finally ended up figuring out that it was an issue with how the server was attempting to connect. Had to do some digging but it eventually got figured out. I appreciate all the alternatives though, I'll definitely keep those on the back-burner just in case this was a temporary solution.