Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
To help keep it straight, just imagine there's a sphere of something highly radioactive on a table front of you.

If it's an alpha emitter, don't eat it

If it's a beta emitter, don't hold it

If it's a gamma emitter, don't buy any green bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a similar question for a lot of nuke programs:

You have four cookies in front of you, which each emit a different kind of radiation: alpha, beta, gamma, and neutron.

You have to eat one, hold one in your hand, put one in your pocket, and throw one away. Where do you pick to assign each to minimize your exposure?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Time works the same way!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

those IAEA reports are really sad. the Goiana accident (wiki link, the report is here) is one that's particularly sad to me, because some guys just picking through trash in an abandoned hospital hoping to make some money ended up finding glowing powder that passed through a few scrapyards and that a bunch of people played around with, including this tragic kid:

quote:

The day before the sale to the second scrapyard, on September 24, Ivo, Devair's brother, successfully scraped some additional dust out of the source and took it to his house a short distance away. There he spread some of it on the concrete floor. His six-year-old daughter, Leide das Neves Ferreira, later ate a sandwich while sitting on this floor. She was also fascinated by the blue glow of the powder, applying it to her body and showing it off to her mother. Dust from the powder fell on the sandwich she was consuming; she eventually absorbed 1.0 GBq and received a total dose of 6.0 Gy, more than a fatal dose even with treatment.

i'm not even gonna quote the part about her dying and getting buried

also this part is pretty amazing; i guess you can light cesium on fire and you'll be """"fine""""

quote:

On September 16, Alves succeeded in puncturing the capsule's aperture window with a screwdriver, allowing him to see a deep blue light coming from the tiny opening he had created.[1] He inserted the screwdriver and successfully scooped out some of the glowing substance. Thinking it was perhaps a type of gunpowder, he tried to light it, but the powder would not ignite.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 31, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

I mean it's certainly not magical but if it does kill you acutely it's pretty horrific.

Like I ain't gonna link anything but google Hisashi Ouchi.

That's a very appropriate last name.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

One thing that comes to my mind is that restricting travel was a way to control the populace. Having said that, I really don't know if that applied to nobility.

It was also a safety thing. Having peasants leave their villages usually meant they would get lost and be unable to return.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sullat posted:

It was also a safety thing. Having peasants leave their villages usually meant they would get lost and be unable to return.

It's especially dangerous if they're living on an island, those simpletons would walk straight into the sea without supervision

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PittTheElder posted:

I recommend picking up a copy of The Making of The Atomic Bomb. On top of introducing nuclear physics at a basic level, it's also just a really good loving book.

Another book I can recommend along this line: "Atomic Accidents". Then you'll understand why having a bunch of weapons-grade Uranium Hexafluoride bottles lined up is fine, while stacking them into a brick is problematic

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Too bad there aren’t a million books and documentaries on the horrors of coal plant related deaths which has killed exponentially more people than nuclear energy aside from the actual bombs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Black Lung Disease just isn’t as sexy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Doesn’t coal also have an annoying tendency to just randomly explode?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Tunicate posted:

You have four cookies in front of you, which each emit a different kind of radiation: alpha, beta, gamma, and neutron.

You have to eat one, hold one in your hand, put one in your pocket, and throw one away. Where do you pick to assign each to minimize your exposure?
Okay, so, high school physics don't fail me now. Neutron is the most damaging kind, then Alpha then Beta then Gamma. Gamma is the most penetrating kind, then Neutron, then Beta then Alpha. If you eat the Alpha emitter it will irradiate you. If you hold the Beta emitter it will irradiate you. If you put the Neutron emitter in your pocket it will irradiate you. The Gamma will irradiate you regardless unless you have an excellent throwing arm.

Therefore: Eat Gamma, hold Alpha, pocket Beta, throw away Neutron? You're only getting one of four sources and prompt medical treatment might just save you.

That right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yep.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Too bad there aren’t a million books and documentaries on the horrors of coal plant related deaths which has killed exponentially more people than nuclear energy aside from the actual bombs.

I don't know, wikipedia places total deaths from both bombs as between 129,000 and 226,000. I'm thinking that coal still kills more, let alone historically

Also if you read Nuclear Accidents, it does a really good job of explaining why the gap between the actual threat of nuclear power and the perceived threat of nuclear energy is so large, and furthermore how stupid it is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
would yall be surprised if i told you the anti-nuke people in the US, including (especially?) the extremely green people and renewables activists, have been funded under the table by the fossil fuels industries in secret for years

elect me to the senate i will build nuclear plants

also a pike in every garage

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's especially dangerous if they're living on an island, those simpletons would walk straight into the sea without supervision

sad naked roombas

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

would yall be surprised if i told you the anti-nuke people in the US, including (especially?) the extremely green people and renewables activists, have been funded under the table by the fossil fuels industries in secret for years

I’ve always assumed this but never gone to the trouble of seeking proof for it.

Probably where a lot of (U.S.) Green Party funding comes from, too?

:shrug:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

You monster! That poor fish would drown.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Little known fact: the game Lemmings was actually a medieval peasant simulator.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

You monster! That poor fish would drown.

looks like this was the wrong plaice for them

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Doesn’t coal also have an annoying tendency to just randomly explode?

"Definitely not."

- William Randolph Hearst

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MikeCrotch posted:

"Definitely not."

i understood that reference

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Probably where a lot of (U.S.) Green Party funding comes from, too?

:shrug:

pretty sure that's Russia

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MikeCrotch posted:

"Definitely not."

gently caress you, I was about to launch into a long explanation about that.

oystertoadfish posted:

¿Porque no los dos?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

sullat posted:

So this afternoon I was looking up early contacts between Korea and Europeans and any foreigners who accidentally entered Korea would never be allowed to leave. The first western accounts of the country come from one Hendrick Hamel who was trapped in Korea for over a decade before succeeding in escaping to Nagasaki, and he has a lot of lol anecdotes of his time in the country:

quote:

The Dutch were a great curiosity in Seoul. Their fair complexion and strange mannerisms drew large crowds of curious, gaping followers wherever they appeared; even slaves would taunt and ridicule them. One night, a mob broke into a Dutch residence and dragged a number of the men into the street outside and made fun of them. They immediately complained to the commander of the Royal Guards, who quickly forbid anyone from harassing the Dutch in any way and forbid anyone to come near them without his expressed permission. After that incident, the Dutch freely moved about the capital without attracting a crowd.

The Dutch began receiving daily invitations to dine in the homes of the city's notable yangban. Shortly after their arrival, rumors about the nam ban, "barbarians from the south," described the Dutch as monstrosities with heads like sea cows who could live under water. It was said the Dutch had to put their nose behind their ears when they wanted to drink. Being quite fond of novelties, they and their wives and children were anxious to see these "strange men" and watch their European table manners. Reality proved a disappointment for many yangban however, who discovered the Dutch were not as monstrous as they had expected, or even hoped. Most Koreans actually admired the Dutchmen's pale white skin and regarded it as something desirable.

quote:

The Dutch were housed in Seoul for two or three days before Jan Weltevree accompanied the men to Kyongbok Palace for their interrogation by King Hyojong, who asked all manner of questions. Answering the king as best they could, the Dutch pleaded to be sent to Nagasaki, Japan, where their countrymen on Deshima Island could help them return to Holland. The king ignored their pleadings, telling the Dutch they would have to resign themselves to the fact they would spend the rest of their lives in Choson; "... it was not the Custom of Corea to suffer Strangers to depart the Kingdom;... ." After the interrogation, Hyojong invited the Dutchmen to entertain the court with dancing, singing and clownish behavior. Their performance showed little talent and even less enthusiasm[.]

It's not that surprising the King didn't want to let them leave, as much like all Asian leaders who received European visitors, he immediately noticed the Dutch were expert musketeers and weapon smiths.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

oystertoadfish posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tunicate posted:

I think the real question is where the hell are you getting your cookies

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

oystertoadfish posted:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PittTheElder posted:

I recommend picking up a copy of The Making of The Atomic Bomb. On top of introducing nuclear physics at a basic level, it's also just a really good loving book.

Or Mehaffey's Atomic Accidents. That's current through Fukushima. Oh god, so many things in that book piss me off. But ! Instead of being afraid of a nebulous and mysterious threat, I can think of dozens of British scientists and engineers looking at the next best thing to an open-face reactor and go "Dudes, what the gently caress! and get on with my life.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9eHp7JJgq8

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 1, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

Shortly after their arrival, rumors about the nam ban, "barbarians from the south," described the Dutch as monstrosities with heads like sea cows who could live under water.
i know it's more Racisms Of The Past, but does anyone else think the manatee-headed dutch, magnificent weaponsmiths and devourers of marine vegetation, are an adorable idea

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

frat hazings are getting out of control

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

HEY GUNS posted:

i know it's more Racisms Of The Past, but does anyone else think the manatee-headed dutch, magnificent weaponsmiths and devourers of marine vegetation, are an adorable idea

I mean if I'm going to be compared to an animal, I'd rather be one of the soft harmless ones that float around and eat plants all day.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

Isn't that basically the Giff from Spelljammer?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't that basically the Giff from Spelljammer?
those are hippo-people, which would be less peaceful BY FAR

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

I don't know why but I keep busting laughing when i reread those quotes, something about the mob breaking into their house and dragging them into the street to laugh at them. . . or the image of a bunch of sad sailors singing an off-key shanty while dancing a shuffling jig in front of the Royal court.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

mllaneza posted:

Or Mehaffey's Atomic Accidents. That's current through Fukushima. Oh god, so many things in that book piss me off. But ! Instead of being afraid of a nebulous and mysterious threat, I can think of dozens of British scientists and engineers looking at the next best thing to an open-face reactor and go "Dudes, what the gently caress! and get on with my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9eHp7JJgq8

Always preferred mamies version from “the wild and wonderful whites of West Virginia”

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This thread will surely find it good.
I and my wife consume war documentaries and try to find the bit more obscure ones.

Falklands War: The Untold War is a documentary made in the eighties by BBC. Some of the stats are wrong, such as the killed on the Belgrano.

However, the documentary has a lot of really amazing footage from the time, and in addition it has the servicemembers recounting stories from fresh memory.

It has in many points both participants of the story, like the Argentinian bomber who apologized for the fallen on HMS Sheffield, or the Harrier Pilot who recounts shooting down an plane, then suddenly the argentinian who was shot down finishes the story.

It has a lot of hard hitting first hand experiences, and they leave an emotional scar. It’s not very cheery, and the stories are dark and depressing, but BBC reports with amazing fashion.

It also gives a very human view of how the brits found it disturbing to see dead Argentinians and at one point a wounded Argentinian Lieutenant tells, crying, a Royal Marine that he has no idea why they are fighting.

It is on youtube, here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V887sYcmIAc

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1A146sANdg

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Falklands War: The Untold War is a documentary made in the eighties by BBC. Some of the stats are wrong, such as the killed on the Belgrano.

I know it's natural for foreigners to assume anything on television with a British accent must have been made by the BBC, but that documentary was actually made by ITV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There are worst sentences then not being allowed to leave an Asian country honestly. Big Fish in a small pond and all that.

Reminds me a bit of something I encountered while researching Enlightenment era sinophilia is that when some Europeans I think during the Ming dynasty got trapped in China for a while and were shocked at how just and fair the whole system was from top to bottom. They got initially mistreated and the official mistreating them got executed for it and this left a huge impression on them at how swift the justice was when reported, they were allowed to travel quite far inland too and encountered this throughout their journey before eventually making their way back to Europe somehow; I forget the exact details.

Back to regarding early Asian relations regarding Europe; well the example with China, albeit my main source is Paul Kennedy writing (The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers) in the 1980's; but he makes it sound like the decision to stop sending expeditions and letting their major infrastructure and fleet building crumble and rot was entirely that of the Confucian bureaucracy, and there's also the theory that the decentralization of Europe made it hard for centralized attempts to clamp down on activities such as trade that creates the material conditions that give birth to a middle class/bourgeoisie from the burghers. Basically China went from a nation that engaged with a tremendous amount of trade and had a massive trading fleet around the time of Zhenghe (2000 ships, 500 of them ocean going) to no naval capability to fend off even pirates until later and a massive reduction in trade?

It feels like the decisions the Ming and later Japan took, were the results of a small number of people and that things could have gone very differently.