Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Is there a trick for getting sleeping bags back into their stuff sacs? Like a better way to fold or roll them? It's easily my least favorite part of camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

yaffle posted:

Is there a trick for getting sleeping bags back into their stuff sacs? Like a better way to fold or roll them? It's easily my least favorite part of camping.

I hold the lip of the bag in my left hand, closed fist fingers technically inside the bag, hold the bag under my left arm as it gets full and use my right hand to jam that poo poo in with an extended karate chop hand. Go until the bag is packed or you pull more than two muscles.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

yaffle posted:

It might not be a thing for all bags but if I try to stuff mine head-first, the foot fills up with air and is a total bitch to get in. I guess I should be happy, since holding in air is basically a sleeping bag's job...

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It might not be a thing for all bags but if I try to stuff mine head-first, the foot fills up with air and is a total bitch to get in. I guess I should be happy, since holding in air is basically a sleeping bag's job...

Likewise, if your bag has a membrane in the shell, stuff it inside out to let the air out. Same goes for puffy jackets and parkas.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

yaffle posted:

I fully unzip my bag, stuff the foot box in first, and then just keep mashing it in there until I can close the bag. I keep my down bag in a 10L sea to summit dry/stuff sack. Getting air trapped in is probably your biggest hurdle which is why I unzip everything and do the footbox first. I guess I've never really "struggled" with it though, maybe your stuff sack is just too small for your sleeping bag?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I don't use a stuff sack anymore (I just stuff my quilt/sleeping bag in the bottom of my pack and let my other gear compress it down in there), but when I did, I just stuffed it in willy-nilly.

Rolling/folding is not the way to go. And if you do it the same way repeatedly, it will create lines of stress.

As always make sure that once you're home, you're storing it loose.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m going to be using my Pocket Rocket a lot this summer and something I’ve never learned is how big a flame to use when boiling water. Bare minimum to keep it lit? Jet engine? Neither?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Rolo posted:

I’m going to be using my Pocket Rocket a lot this summer and something I’ve never learned is how big a flame to use when boiling water. Bare minimum to keep it lit? Jet engine? Neither?

This depends a lot on the pot you're using. Basically you don't really want any flames coming up around the sides of the pot as that is just wasted heat. Try to get it to the point where it's hammering the bottom of the pot and not the side.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Well, you want to be careful you don’t burn the water

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 22, 2019

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Rolo posted:

Definitely not on full blast. Somewhere around medium/low is the most efficient use of fuel. Also use a windscreen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok sounds like my common sense was good in this scenario.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

khysanth posted:

Definitely not on full blast. Somewhere around medium/low is the most efficient use of fuel. Also use a windscreen.

I picked up a pocket rocket last year and one of the warnings in the manual was to not use windscreens. IIRC it didn't explicitly say why so I assumed it was to avoid possibly cooking the fuel canister and detonating it, but unless you're using the windscreen totally wrong that seems pretty unlikely. I've done it and have all my fingers!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Chard posted:

I picked up a pocket rocket last year and one of the warnings in the manual was to not use windscreens. IIRC it didn't explicitly say why so I assumed it was to avoid possibly cooking the fuel canister and detonating it, but unless you're using the windscreen totally wrong that seems pretty unlikely. I've done it and have all my fingers!

There have been a lot of cases of fuel canisters exploding after overheating from improper windscreen use. In general, using a half screen (rather than a full wrap-around) with a reasonable stand-off distance will not result in any problems.

You can check to make sure the fuel canister doesn't get hot to the touch. Canisters are rated to be safe up to a minimum of 50C (122F), and the actual failure temperature is likely well above this (someone at BPL blew up some fuel canisters and found that the typical isobutane/propane mix blew up just below 100C). If you just keep it from being noticeably warm you are definitely safe.

If you want to be extra safe, putting a radiation shield (reflector) directly on top of the fuel canister will dramatically reduce the heat it can absorb from the flame above. Just be sure to put it on top of the fuel canister, not below it on the ground like you do with remote feed stoves!

Used appropriately, windscreens really improve efficiency and reduce cooking time. I use them, everyone uses them, but the consequences of loving up can be pretty severe so manufacturers will tell you not to use them.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDIWMp3cIPM&t=164s)

Morbus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 22, 2019

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
As far as windscreens go, I really love the integrated heat fins on jetboil style pots, such as the Olicamp XTS I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OJKI2U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZShLCb4WN2X9P

Not only do the heat exchangers help trap more heat off the flame so your fuel consumption is more efficient, it acts as a windbreak if you have a smaller stover that fits up inside it, like the pocket rocket 2 or Olicamp ion. Never had an issue keeping a flame going with this pot, rain, wind, or snow.

Plus the silicone handles and lid are just :discourse:

This might be one of my favorite pieces of gear, hands down.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I've decided to get a pillow for backpacking. Last year I had too many bad nights of sleep using stuff sacks etc. Any suggestions?

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Huge fan of the Nemo Fillo as a side sleeper.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I love the sea to summit aero inflatable pillow. My spouse also.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Only used it a few nights as I just got it at the end of last seasons backpacking, but really liking my Big Sky Dreamsleeper.

1.6 oz. use my buff as a pillow case. I used an Amazon special knock off of the S2S aeros and actually like this more

http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-DreamSleeper-UltraLight-inflatable-pillow.aspx

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

-Anders posted:

I love the sea to summit aero inflatable pillow. My spouse also.

I have this too. +1.

It’s pretty soft for an inflatable doodad.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I recently rejoined my old Boy Scout troop as an assistant scoutmaster, and have spent the last week or so going through my brother and my old 15-20+ year old gear, figuring out what's serviceable, and what needs replacing.

Going on a short backpacking trip next weekend, and I think I'm set for that, but it's been interesting seeing what's changed since I last looked at it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My first backpacking trip in scouts I used a bright red external frame backpack I got from a yard sale with some carpet underlayment as back padding. The belt was just nylon webbing.

I also took with me 3 Garfield books and a foldable pickaxe :downs:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Trekology aluft pillow for me, 15 bucks and a nice valve that folds up small and light

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I got a couple of the massdrop X klymit X pillows, they've been fine for my purposes. They appear to be a recurring thing, there's a round going on massdrop now that has 12 hours left.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nohearum posted:

I've decided to get a pillow for backpacking. Last year I had too many bad nights of sleep using stuff sacks etc. Any suggestions?

I cant recommend the Dutchware Argon pillow highly enough:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/argon-pillow/

1.9 ounces, no need to inflate a bouncy air brick, super soft and comfy... this thing hella beats wadding up my jacket and weighs zippo. Plus you can just get the materials for 11$ and diy it if you’re so inclined.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for the pillow advice. Ended up snagging the Trekology pillow for $10 off an Amazon lightning deal because I'm cheap. Will try some of the other options if it doesn't work out. I'm pretty sure the Trekology is just a rebranded Naturehike product but you don't have to wait for it to ship from China. I should get into the Amazon arbitrage business...

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Yea, I think they are all just S2S knock offs.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm eyeballing the Patagonia Down Sweater for my 20% + dividend splurge. Question: down jacket owners, do you think having an insulated hood is worth it? I'm leaning towards no since I have a good hat and with my waterproof jacket (and optional neck fleece thing) I feel it would just be in the way.

e: it's bogus that REI only sells the ghost whisperer in women's :mad:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

I'm eyeballing the Patagonia Down Sweater for my 20% + dividend splurge. Question: down jacket owners, do you think having an insulated hood is worth it? I'm leaning towards no since I have a good hat and with my waterproof jacket (and optional neck fleece thing) I feel it would just be in the way.

e: it's bogus that REI only sells the ghost whisperer in women's :mad:

I really love having the hood, I would absolutely go for it. Granted, this is with the thermoball jacket, but it’s the same idea. Adds a ton of extra versatility for almost no weight or space penalty. Mid weight puffy jackets are one of my most used pieces of gear, that’s a solid dividend choice!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
My only suggestion with down jackets is to not try to use it to replace / augment a sleeping bag. You will get very sweaty and then cold.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, since it's spring, now is probably the best time to buy cheap winter equipment, so let me ask: Does anyone have a brand or model of balaclava or freestanding hood they swear by?

I have the problem where if my head gets too cold, I get debilitating migraines until I can get into a hot shower and warm up, so it might still see use outside of camping.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2019

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, since it's spring, now is probably the best time to buy cheap winter equipment, so let me ask: Does anyone have a brand or model of balaclava or freestanding hood they swear by?

I have the problem where if my head gets too cold, I get debilitating migraines until I can get into a hot hower and warm up, so it might still see use outside of camping.

I would look at a down or synthetic beanie to augment whatever balaclava you get. I personally very much love balaclavas with the hinged design, so you can pull it off your face entirely while still keeping the whole thing covering the rest of your head. I’d try one of the 10-15$ lightweight ones off amazon, I think most of them are virtually the same in that price range, and layering with an insulated hat gives you more flexibility since your head can really heat up when hiking in the winter. A scarf might also be a good layer to add on above the balaclava base layer. Layering is key when you’re active and outdoors, you don’t want too little that you’re cold at rest, and too much causes you to sweat while hiking. Being able to adjust on the fly is absolutely key.

Comedy option, I use this in combination with my down quilt to get a mummy bag effect while sleeping in the winter:

https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/insulated-head-cover/

It’s just amazing, like having a sleeping bag over my head. Also very nice for putzing around a cold camp in the morning.

Also, if you want crazy overboard warm weather head gear, try looking at genuine fur Ushankas or Captain’s hats. That’ll keep you comfortable well into the negatives, though it’ll be too warm for high activity stuff and cause you to sweat, which is bad in real cold weather.

For hiking and being real active in the winter, I really love Alpacca yarn beanies for their breathability, versatility, and comfort. Alpaca fiber is a lot like wool in terms of performance, but just crazy soft and my favorite material for knit hits and gloves.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have the problem where if my head gets too cold, I get debilitating migraines until I can get into a hot shower and warm up, so it might still see use outside of camping.

WWII leather bombers hat. If it’s good enough to keep rabbits alive through winter, it’s good enough for your head. :colbert:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

WWII leather bombers hat. If it’s good enough to keep rabbits alive through winter, it’s good enough for your head. :colbert:

.....there's story here, and I want to hear it, backed up by sourcing.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....there's story here, and I want to hear it, backed up by sourcing.

The hats are lined in rabbit fur.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, pbbt. And here I thought there was a story about how a rabbit made its nest in one all winter or something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so I had to use my 20% REI day on something so I went back to my sleeping bag stuff sack issue I was having and bought a 10L REI compression sack to help me not pull a muscle when getting my bag into its stuff sack.

It’s perfect. I can get it in the thing without breaking a sweat and the straps take over after that. I don’t even have to crank them down and I can make it the size I want for my compartment without straining much at all. Completely worth the 20 bucks I spent. I’m seriously going to save a few liters with this thing and can bring some extra food or something.

Here’s a size 9.5 shoe for scale.

I’m realizing more and more that spending money to make bag real estate is like buying crack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used my 20% on another pair of merrell moabs, the comfiest and most versatile shoe I've ever owned. Then after wearing them a couple days and kicking them off into my normal shoe dumping point, it registered that I've been doing this for at least six years. Probably longer, I'm pretty sure I had a fourth pair that got thrown out and I get two years out of a pair. Bought them at first for day hikes and loved them so much they turned into my dailies.

I feel like spiderman in these things, they stick to everything I walk on.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't wear my moabs for hiking anymore but I loved how grippy the soles were. They stick to rock like glue.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

I used my 20% on another pair of merrell moabs, the comfiest and most versatile shoe I've ever owned. Then after wearing them a couple days and kicking them off into my normal shoe dumping point, it registered that I've been doing this for at least six years. Probably longer, I'm pretty sure I had a fourth pair that got thrown out and I get two years out of a pair. Bought them at first for day hikes and loved them so much they turned into my dailies.

I feel like spiderman in these things, they stick to everything I walk on.

Moabs were the first shoe I ever walked into a store wearing one busted pair and walked out in a new set of the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I used the 20% off repeatedly (as long as it is a separate transaction, you can use it every time) to buy a bunch of mountaineering gear. New crampons, boots, gaiters, helmet.

Doing Shasta in the summer and some SoCal peaks next winter.