Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The biggest difference between the book and the movie (I saw the movie first) is that you get a lot more of Moss' internal thought process; especially in the nighttime scene out in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
McCarthy originally wrote No Country as a screenplay, which I think is why the novel translates so directly to film, especially compared to his other books.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Easy Diff posted:

https://letterboxd.com/easydiff/list/end-credits-rap/

Am I missing any? I know I am, just curious if any of you can think of any?

8 Mile
Soul Plane

Was surprised the Legend of Jimmy Bones didn't make the cut for Bones but it's not played over the end credits.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What's the deal with the bit in XMEN where Storm tosses Toad out a window? The line is kinda lame

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

What's the deal with the bit in XMEN where Storm tosses Toad out a window? The line is kinda lame

It's one of two lines remaining in the movie from Joss Whedon's script. Whedon claims that Berry botched the delivery, and it was meant to be delivered in an offhand, flippant way.

The reality is it's just a stupid line.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Joss Whedon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Joss Whedon? Writing totally lovely dialogue? Why, I’m utterly astounded.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Timby posted:

It's one of two lines remaining in the movie from Joss Whedon's script. Whedon claims that Berry botched the delivery, and it was meant to be delivered in an offhand, flippant way.

The reality is it's just a stupid line.

What's the other line

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's the other line

"You're a dick."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Was the original line not something like: "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning? It croaks."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Joss Whedon? Writing totally lovely dialogue? Why, I’m utterly astounded.

what's wrong with joss whedon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A lot of things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nerds won and it's a travesty

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

he's bad

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Whedon's a great example of someone needing collaboration so he can have his bad ideas reined in and refined. The more other people have say in his products the better I usually find them

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like most of Whedon’s stuff really but I just don’t have the energy to try and talk about it here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Nerds won and it's a travesty

what does this even mean

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Society stopped giving nerds wedgies and now we have 3 Marvel movies every year.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

so..... what does that have to do with whedon? i'm not following

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

"You're a dick."

That one works because of jackman at least

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

He’s a bad writer and a bad person

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get these damned nerds out of our superhero movies!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i've always enjoyed his writing, what did he do that makes him a bad person?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bad writing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i've always enjoyed his writing, what did he do that makes him a bad person?

using his hollywood power to be a sex pest

tbh it should have been clear decades ago but white male faux feminism is a powerful drug

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Links? This is the first I've heard of it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Links? This is the first I've heard of it

https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Toebone posted:

McCarthy originally wrote No Country as a screenplay, which I think is why the novel translates so directly to film, especially compared to his other books.

That explains a lot, the book is like 80% unpunctuated dialog.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's how he always writes dialogue.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, but Suttree, The Road and Blood Meridian are not written that way, they are far more descriptive. No Country is written like a script.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you want to make a movie about aliens trying to hide themselves among humans, but with that uncanny valley feel... Whedon is your man to write it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Who loving cares if Joss Wheadon cheated on his wife? That’s between him and his wife. The way people latch on to the personal lives of strangers is gnarly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

Who loving cares if Joss Wheadon cheated on his wife? That’s between him and his wife. The way people latch on to the personal lives of strangers is gnarly.

It's less that he was running around on his wife and more that he was using his position of authority to sleep with young actresses under his employ, and defended his serial cheating by saying that he's a man, meaning he's genetically coded to acquire women.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

It's about power, OP. He abused his.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He also positioned himself as a feminist and all about women’s empowerment and strong female characters and whatnot. Getting revealed as a cheater hurts the brand. Although his brand was always skeevy as gently caress, so it’s not exactly surprising.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

He also positioned himself as a feminist and all about women’s empowerment and strong female characters and whatnot. Getting revealed as a cheater hurts the brand. Although his brand was always skeevy as gently caress, so it’s not exactly surprising.

I never understood how giving every character in his crap dialog that sounded like a bitchy teenager was in any way depicting strong women. The guy was always a hack, and I’m glad his career is in tatters. The way he wrote was on the same level as bad fan fiction.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, but Suttree, The Road and Blood Meridian are not written that way, they are far more descriptive. No Country is written like a script.

along these very lines is the counselor worth reading/watching? when it came out it looked like something that was hitting all the right notes for me but i heard it sucked serious rear end so i avoided it completely at the time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I rewatched Deep Blue Sea and in addition to having some of the worst-aging CGI in recent memory, it really does have LL Cool J rapping the plot of the movie over the end credits.

Deep Blue Sea was released well into the 2000s.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
doesn't he start rapping the song before the credits roll, too? maybe thats just in my head or in a music video tie-in (if there was one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Parachute posted:

doesn't he start rapping the song before the credits roll, too? maybe thats just in my head or in a music video tie-in (if there was one)

The song starts when they're doing the helicopter shot of the carnage after the last line of the movie, but before the credits literally, exactly start but for all intents and purposes it is a song that only plays over the end of the movie, after all the shots have concluded.

Also the song is in no way related to LL Cool J's character in the movie, an ex-alcoholic preacher who is the research station's cook and has a poo poo-talking parrot he named Bird that gets eaten by a hyperintelligent shark.