Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol that is rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
honda should hire that guy for the next gen of interceptors

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is the good poo poo

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
He said it won’t be perfect in all the mountings, and that many parts of the body kit might have to be sanded, and plastic cut. In addition he’ll use creativity in the fairing stays.

But to me, that sounds awesome. I know a lot of purists would demand immensely laborious details, and ensuring it looks like new, and no weld is visible, and that all parts are perfect match.

To me, some italian race bike builder going ham on my bike and charging a modest fee and saying ”I’ll do a bunch of poo poo and then it’s ready” is what makes my bike more awesome, I have tremendous respect for this kind of craftmanship.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's kind of crazy to me that this kind of "engine swap" isn't more common.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On the VFR forums at https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/ there are actually a decent amount of projects where some sort of CBR bodywork from various years is the attempt. Most of them just seem to end up in failure or some part of the process becomes too laborious or difficult and they end up fizzling out. There are nice looking ones, too, one with a custom 900rr supermoto look with straight bar, that ended up costing more than 2000 dollars, so it's not unheard of. However, I'm paying this guy 300 euros and he's having at it with seemingly no difficulty, so your mileage may wary.

VFR engine is an amazing engine and loved, so the project seems logical considering how butt ugly the original bodywork is.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my favorite engine swap is the dudes putting the CBR500 engine into a 250L frame and making a ~325lb wet bike :blastu:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Come on, central PA spring! Another teaser day today.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

my favorite engine swap is the dudes putting the CBR500 engine into a 250L frame and making a ~325lb wet bike :blastu:

God I miss two-strokes, the old RS250 made >60 hp depending on just how much you liked rebuilds (not liking rebuilds at all was not an option) and weighed 120 kilos.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Come on, central PA spring! Another teaser day today.

I've had like the past month's worth of weekends free, and today it'll be 74 in SE PA and I'm triple booked with indoor responsibilities. Sad face for no riding time today.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

God I miss two-strokes, the old RS250 made >60 hp depending on just how much you liked rebuilds (not liking rebuilds at all was not an option) and weighed 120 kilos.

same. I went to the one moto show here last month and all I did was gaze longingly at the CR500 builds and the insane 800cc+ two stroke track bikes people built

one of these days I’ll pick up a 300 XC-W...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

opengl128 posted:

I've had like the past month's worth of weekends free, and today it'll be 74 in SE PA and I'm triple booked with indoor responsibilities. Sad face for no riding time today.

I have been working 7 days a week so the Buell only got ridden to the hospital and back, but I only had one case so I got home early enough to get this other bad bitch out:

Did a top speed run (70mph), ran out of gas as I was pulling into the Sunoco in the nearest town, and got funny looks from the Harley passenger at the pumps for kick-starting my little beast.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that one of those folding motorcycles?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I have been working 7 days a week so the Buell only got ridden to the hospital and back, but I only had one case so I got home early enough to get this other bad bitch out:

Did a top speed run (70mph), ran out of gas as I was pulling into the Sunoco in the nearest town, and got funny looks from the Harley passenger at the pumps for kick-starting my little beast.

That thing looks fun... when I get tired of the Sym I'll probably pick up one of those as my "ultra light bike"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nitrox posted:

Sad that there's no modern equivalent of the motocompo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Nitrox posted:

Nah just a Sachs MadAss 125. Pocked it up for like $900 a couple years ago and unjust ride the tits off of it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gf got a bike :toot:

Jianshe clone of a carbed Yamaha ybr125, rides pretty nice! A lot more stable than the cbf I had when I was starting out, should be a good practice hack.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinese shitbikes are sooo much fun. Enjoy revving the poo poo out of it for any and all reasons and generally treating it like crap with no remorse.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Got this today:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I took a trip into France today, went up to Morzine (which is an incredible road) to meet a mate for coffee, then doubled back to Châtel, over the pass back into Switzerland, then back home. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Chatel

Pas de Morgins

Vevey

Lausanne

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

oregon rules

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

I took a trip into France today, went up to Morzine (which is an incredible road) to meet a mate for coffee, then doubled back to Châtel, over the pass back into Switzerland, then back home. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Chatel

Pas de Morgins

Vevey

Lausanne

That's my loving jam right there.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Every three pages of this thread I'm saying to myself "I really need to loving move."

Anyone have advice for convincing the old lady that better motorcycle roads and improved views are worth moving away from her family and a low cost of living?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Buy her a motorcycle.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

On the VFR forums at https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/ there are actually a decent amount of projects where some sort of CBR bodywork from various years is the attempt. Most of them just seem to end up in failure or some part of the process becomes too laborious or difficult and they end up fizzling out. There are nice looking ones, too, one with a custom 900rr supermoto look with straight bar, that ended up costing more than 2000 dollars, so it's not unheard of. However, I'm paying this guy 300 euros and he's having at it with seemingly no difficulty, so your mileage may wary.

VFR engine is an amazing engine and loved, so the project seems logical considering how butt ugly the original bodywork is.

300 euro is a decent price, bodywork swaps are fiddly.

I made a subframe for a mates 99CBR900RR to fit a GSXR tail a few months back.

Bike on the left.

General idea

High tech mockup

Fit up on front section of subframe

Rear section with seat cowl latch mechanism mount and exhaust support

Finished

Cant find a pic with the undertray fitted, just this one of it sitting on the wheel.

Putting gixxer tails on everything yo

echomadman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 31, 2019

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That is pretty. Customising frames and fairings is my jam. Some body parts are just the prettiest and should be on every bike. (2006 600RR)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you should definitely make that pipe longer dude

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

That is pretty. Customising frames and fairings is my jam. Some body parts are just the prettiest and should be on every bike. (2006 600RR)

Subframe/tail swaps are the messiest, there's usually a lot of poo poo in there with CDI/Battery wiring looms. On the white CBR in the first pic the battery is relocated under the carbs, getting to it is a loving nightmare. I was able to mount it under the seat in the front of the subframe on the other one.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Buy her a motorcycle.

Been down that road - I just sold her bike to Coydog last year because she never rode it. She prefers to ride pillion and even then she doesn't really "get" riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Been down that road - I just sold her bike to Coydog last year because she never rode it. She prefers to ride pillion and even then she doesn't really "get" riding.

Sever.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

echomadman posted:

Subframe/tail swaps are the messiest, there's usually a lot of poo poo in there with CDI/Battery wiring looms. On the white CBR in the first pic the battery is relocated under the carbs, getting to it is a loving nightmare. I was able to mount it under the seat in the front of the subframe on the other one.

But this all makes it unique and gives the bike sole character. I am not skilled enough myself to do this work, but I wish. I’d love to solve those puzzles.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The VFR was not supposed to have a passenger-seat, and was supposed to have a frame that didn't support one either. However, I'm a moody person and I changed my mind. The rear frame will now be built in a different manner. He also would like to have full LED-blinkers, four forward, four rear, with high and low on both sides. Here's status as of two days ago:

Man pictured is mister Silvio Simeoni himself.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is this also Silvio Simeoni?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That is the guard dog who makes sure no one touches the drat bikes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh poo poo it's a dog! My brain just turned that into a backpack sitting on the floor.

I was referring to the skinny-jeaned legs with hip checkered Vans because the idea made me laugh.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh poo poo it's a dog! My brain just turned that into a backpack sitting on the floor.

I was referring to the skinny-jeaned legs with hip checkered Vans because the idea made me laugh.

Lol mine turned it into a piece of fairing

Edit: what's the Honda cub looking thing next to your bike?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh. Well. This is italy, so that is the male other racer whose name I forgot. Italians are very fashionable.

I don’t know much about bikes so I can’t answer questions about them. Next time I go down I’ll take good pictures of the workshop, the bikes, and such!

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 4, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A genuine classic being menaced by a couple of posers

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Renaissance Robot posted:

A genuine classic being menaced by a couple of posers

You have good bikes. :3:

Today I put the fender eliminator on. I didn't follow the instructions, so it is a hack-job of the highest echelon, but the light comes on so I'm just gonna not ever speak about what happened ever again, and quietly do it correctly, later.

Look how ~shiny~ it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Frosty- posted:

You have good bikes. :3:

Today I put the fender eliminator on. I didn't follow the instructions, so it is a hack-job of the highest echelon, but the light comes on so I'm just gonna not ever speak about what happened ever again, and quietly do it correctly, later.

Look how ~shiny~ it is.

Hi z900rs buddy

(x-post from what bike should I buy thread). I got mine today. Where'd you get that front fairing? Do they make them in black? Yours looks great :)