Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Solar Man was composed by the same lady who did the MM3 soundtrack, which is The Best Soundtrack, so that makes perfect sense.

I think MM6 is hideous. It has extremely weird color choices, with many blocks and objects in the stages clashing extremely heavily with the background palettes, and those themselves are also way too saturated. Both of Knight Man's color schemes (green and pink especially) are assaulting my senses.

MM5 on the other hand is a very beautiful game, with an extremely pleasing and well-chosen pastel palette, and the sprites also fit very well to the backgrounds. Those themselves are also wonderfully detailed to a level no other 8-bit MM game can compare (especially not MM9 and 10, which is weird); just look at the train silhouettes in the background of Charge Man's first screen. They are above and beyond anything MM6 does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Simply Simon posted:

I think MM6 is hideous. It has extremely weird color choices, with many blocks and objects in the stages clashing extremely heavily with the background palettes, and those themselves are also way too saturated. Both of Knight Man's color schemes (green and pink especially) are assaulting my senses.

I dunno if it was just because their A-team was on the SNES by that point or what but I feel like it being an NES game in 1993 led to something be up, kinda like how Ducktales 2 had some of the most forgettable music imaginable (at least I think so, compared to the first game).

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Personal MM6 standout tracks: Blizzard, Tomahawk, Mr. X

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Simply Simon posted:

At least Plant Man's stage looks good. Well, the outdoor part.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, the easiest way to showcase the NES games graphical advancement is comparing Wood Man's forest to Plant Man's.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did you know that there is more fire in Dust Man's stage than there is in Heat Man's stage?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the best looking nes game is Castlevania 3 and it came out 4 years before Mega Man 6. Hell, it came out before Mega Man 3!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Star Man posted:

Did you know that there is more fire in Dust Man's stage than there is in Heat Man's stage?
You can have heat without direct fire. They're even different attributes in Breath of the Wild

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Merkinman posted:

You can have heat without direct fire. They're even different attributes in Breath of the Wild

While I'm aware that heat doesn't require fire, Heat Man is colloquially still considered a fire-themed boss (his body is a Zippo lighter and he has an aura of fire) and there is no fire in that fire-themed character's stage. I'm just being unfunny.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Star Man posted:

While I'm aware that heat doesn't require fire, Heat Man is colloquially still considered a fire-themed boss (his body is a Zippo lighter and he has an aura of fire) and there is no fire in that fire-themed character's stage. I'm just being unfunny.
I was just being unfunny too. At least you share the named of an actual Robot Master, I don't think I want to know the level design for the Robot Master "Merkin Man".

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Merkin Man will be a vertical jungle stage with those annoying tick enemies from Mega Man 1.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know if anyone still cares but Dragon MFD came out at retail, and they've patched it once or twice to make it less sponge-y, apparently. EDIT: there's a separate thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881914

Also, Blaster Master Zero-2, out today on Switch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEIEJVd33Qk

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
They announced Cuphead for the Switch today; I was surprised that they won't charge more for it than for every other platform. As much as I enjoy the Switch's adaptability, but I'm not sure if I"m going to bite on it. I've found that any Switch controller, whether it's the built-in snappy one or the separate Pro controller, really doesn't work well for games that require very subtle, quick movements. I can barely play the SF collection on Switch because I find it very difficult to do dragon punches, fireballs and the like, but I can bust those out with no difficulty on PS4-style controllers. Cuphead is such a difficult game that I fear that I would be setting myself up for frustration with the Switch version.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Looks fun, just like the first one... which I own and have yet to finish.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
To the same token, there's a bunch of NES games, including Megaman 1, on the Switch. I'll just hope no one's damaged their system in frustration.

I also got a handful of bosses deep into Blazer Master Zero, then I just lost the urge to play. Loved it, loved it, forgot about it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
guess what, I found a "new" x game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9sSjFYuZyw

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know if anyone still cares but Dragon MFD came out at retail, and they've patched it once or twice to make it less sponge-y, apparently. EDIT: there's a separate thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881914

loving anime watermelon tits

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i will buy it because the first one was tons of fun. but gently caress the unnecessary otaku male gaze poo poo. why can't a game be a game?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Inti Creates has always been horny on main.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Bought the game and finished the first pass of first two areas. Gameplay is on point and the new counterattack mechanic makes the top down areas fun.

Also the map is very good for a metroidvania. You can even get information on which parts you get from which areas.

Also the game is 10 bucks and I am pretty sure I will get my gameplay worth.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 21, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drat it, I let my wife pick the first Maverick I would fight in MMX2 and she picked Magna Centipede :suicide: I barely managed to beat him on like my fifth try.

By the way, I went back into his stage and made it to the end without getting caught by a searchlight but didn’t get the in-game achievement. What gives? Switch version.

Edit: wtf I had no idea that an X-Hunter disappears forever if you beat the stage they are in without challenging them. drat! Time to start over. I’m better off fighting Wheel Gator first anyhow since you need spin wheel to get a bunch of other stuff.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 28, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think you specifically have to do the searchlight thing on a first run and without any continues even if you didn't get caught before dying.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there some trick to beating Serges in X-Hunter Base Stage 2? Besides using Giga Crush on the cannons. Trying to hit him with Sonic Slicer is hilarious by which I mean infuriating. Even hitting him with charged X-Buster shots is hard. A poorly designed, unfun boss. The rest of the game is super easy, which is why I’m so confused by this one difficulty spike.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you stay directly between two of the alternating platforms one of them will always be propelling you up. I feel like this makes it easier to aim shots and consistently dodge, and seems to make the bullet pattern line up in a way to miss you more often than not. Don't even bother using the slicer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there some trick to beating Serges in X-Hunter Base Stage 2? Besides using Giga Crush on the cannons. Trying to hit him with Sonic Slicer is hilarious by which I mean infuriating. Even hitting him with charged X-Buster shots is hard. A poorly designed, unfun boss. The rest of the game is super easy, which is why I’m so confused by this one difficulty spike.

Try the charged version of Sonic Slicer (assuming you have the armor that is), I've found that's a bit easier to hit with.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

You could also try speed burner (uncharged obviously). It's still not great for hitting his tiny hitbox, but a little better than the slicers. Yes, that fight sucks.

I believe you can one shot the cannons with silk shots?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Speed Burner's probably the best weapon with the biggest hitbox and it's still unfun, as Wrex Ruckus said yeah

If you do want the Sonic Slicer, charging it then standing just right under him on the frontmost platform and letting go while he's above you generally has ok results but hitboxes can still be dodgy

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat that finally, killed Agile with one dragon punch and then easily disposed of Sigma because they made him weak as hell. Virus Sigma summons enemies that drop health items which is crazy. The only trophy I didn’t get was killing a boss with giga crush, I tried to but it only does one damage and that’s dumb as hell. X3 is the X game I have played the least so I am looking forward to getting another chance to play it, even if it isn’t great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i will buy it because the first one was tons of fun. but gently caress the unnecessary otaku male gaze poo poo. why can't a game be a game?

You vote with your wallet on this- and can communicate your views in spaces that developers and other parts of the userbase see.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can you all recommend good 2d action platformer games. preferably on switch.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Megaman 11.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There's the Gunvolt 1+2 collection, the Shantae games are basically fine, Dragon Marked for Death is alright with some bumpiness, and Double Cross is interesting if short. You could also join me in praying for a rerelease of the Zero collection with ZX/ZXA added in.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

chumbler posted:

There's the Gunvolt 1+2 collection, the Shantae games are basically fine, Dragon Marked for Death is alright with some bumpiness, and Double Cross is interesting if short. You could also join me in praying for a rerelease of the Zero collection with ZX/ZXA added in.

zero with widescreen on switch is my kokoro wish

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I’m playing through The Messenger right now and it’s very good.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I had some fun with Blaster Master Zero, but it was shorter and with less content than I expected. Pretty good as a fiveish hours thing, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey.

Mega Man X3 kinda sucks. The levels are bland and boring. A lot of the music is bad. I don’t like the bosses much either. Oh well. Also it’s annoying that there are trophies for beating Vile, Bit and Byte without using special weapons when you have to use special weapons to destroy them and get Zero’s saber. And there’s one for getting the gold armor and one for beating Sigma without the gold armor. Who would want to play through this whole game twice?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
X3 and X6 are the worst X games. X7 is better only because Hyenard is hilarious and at least they tried something new. They failed, but they tried and that sort of means something.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hey.

Mega Man X3 kinda sucks. The levels are bland and boring. A lot of the music is bad. I don’t like the bosses much either. Oh well. Also it’s annoying that there are trophies for beating Vile, Bit and Byte without using special weapons when you have to use special weapons to destroy them and get Zero’s saber. And there’s one for getting the gold armor and one for beating Sigma without the gold armor. Who would want to play through this whole game twice?

The music is like the one good thing about X3, because it's made by the lady who made Vampire Killer and are great compositions held back by the awkward decision to use rock guitars for everything.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I like X3's PS1 arranged tracks a bit more really, the soundchip is what really kills the original for me

Also yeah X3 is kinda boring but it's at least just... boring and not aggressively bad

Like I'll still fight whoever decided that you should have to go through Duff McWhalen's stage three times to get everything when it's a slow autoscroller level

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Was X3 on PSX? I thought it was on Sega Saturn? The old MMX Collection for PS2/GCN had the option of the Saturn soundtrack or maybe it only had that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Was X3 on PSX? I thought it was on Sega Saturn? The old MMX Collection for PS2/GCN had the option of the Saturn soundtrack or maybe it only had that one.

You’re thinking of X4, the X3 in the Collection was the PSX version and didn’t have a soundtrack option.