Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I miss anti-hero Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's Superior Spider-Man I guess

Since doom is controlling the cameras, I don't think he's gonna show off his dick tbh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Since doom is controlling the cameras, I don't think he's gonna show off his dick tbh

I didn't like that the first time around.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

I bet it's the only thing he showed. You know why. Victor Von Hung.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doom is way too self conscious to ever show off his junk

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Doom is way too self conscious to ever show off his junk

Ain't no burns on it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not the burns, it's the fact that he'll never be as big as Reed Richards

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

It's not the burns, it's the fact that he'll never be as big as Reed Richards

Richards cheats and we all know it! Richards!!!

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

If the intention was to reveal what's behind the mask she would've stopped at the neck since you can see she's working her way down.

In the first panel the camera on the right sure looks like it's pointed down to catch some untimely wardrobe issues.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I am fine with this entire dumb storyline if it leads to a follow-up story down the line in which Doom puts Reed Richards into his most nefarious trap of all

THE CLAW OF SHAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQ6_1GCVVA

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I always liked the idea that Doom actually only had a small, barely noticable scar but because he's such a narcissist he thought he was a monster due to it. So I don't like this for several reasons.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I always liked the idea that Doom actually only had a small, barely noticable scar but because he's such a narcissist he thought he was a monster due to it. So I don't like this for several reasons.

That cat got let out of the bag during Secret Wars. I agree but we’re past that now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did it change? That used to be always what happened, but what really messed his face up was putting on his mask before it had cooled.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dawgstar posted:

Did it change? That used to be always what happened, but what really messed his face up was putting on his mask before it had cooled.

That was Byrne's interpretation IIRC, but it was never actually addressed one way or the other. There has never (and should never, IMHO) been a definitive answer to "how bad did the explosion scar Doom before he went nuts and put on a mask"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It worked in Secret Wars because of how he ended up at the end. Of course that didn’t last long.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

It worked in Secret Wars because of how he ended up at the end. Of course that didn’t last long.

loving Bendis was doing so good too until that dumb rear end end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I wonder if that was his idea or if he had to put the toy back into its old slott in the toy chest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
From the way things have shaken out in ff I'm guessing the end was so slapdash from a combination of the rush of bendis' health problems at the time and slotts inability to fathom an ff book without "classic" doom

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The state of Doom's face after his college accident is sort of a moot point.

When Bryne redid Doom's origin in his FF run he had their be a tiny scar that consumed Doom with such revulsion he was fine putting on a burning mask and messed up his face.

But since that Doom has fixed his face and it has gotten destroyed multiple times.
1) The first Secret Wars had him fix his face (then it's all undone at the end.)
2) He fixed it when he got the Scarlet Witches powers in Childrens Crusade. Then he loses control of the powers and burns himself up.
3) In the FF run Doom fixed his face, and The Living Tribunal messes it up at the end.
4) In the fourth Secret Wars Reed fixes Dook's face. I don't know how it got broken that time, maybe demons? I stopped reading Superior Ironman after Mephisto was defeated.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dr dookie

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The thing I dislike most about it is that if Susan Storm can make everyones clothes invisible why isn't she ending fights left and right by making people look at The Wizard's dick

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Because it's massive.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Bet it has a little purple helmet on it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think she’s helped defeat at least one villain by turning their skin transparent.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think she’s helped defeat at least one villain by turning their skin transparent.

I was just rereading the old Dwayne McDuffie issues from a few years ago, and she does it to intimidate the Wizard into surrendering. She turns his chest transparent so they can both look down and see his heart, as a precursor to her threatening to give him a major heart attack.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not that slott would think this much about it, but I imagine Sue would have some pent up anger over the whole ”brainwashing me and my kids into being your family, exiling my brother to be a star, making my friend a living wall, and erasing my memory of my husband" thing

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Honestly I never knew Sue could turn things invisible other than herself. Admittedly I don't read any FF. How long has that been a thing? Based on the last couple posts I'd guess for decades, and it just doesn't come up often?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

If it wasn't late Kirby Fantastic Four it was Roy Thomas.

Byrne would use it a lot when super villians would attack them on the streets, simply turning her civilian outfits invisible so it looked like she was just wearing the uniform.

Edit: Also in Byrne's FF there was an issue where she beat a villain that hypnotized men by turning her head invisible

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 1, 2019

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

site posted:

Not that slott would think this much about it, but I imagine Sue would have some pent up anger over the whole ”brainwashing me and my kids into being your family, exiling my brother to be a star, making my friend a living wall, and erasing my memory of my husband" thing

I might be misremembering this but I don't think that was Sue. Sue died when their Ark ruptured on the day of the final incursion, with Reed being the only member of the Feef to survive. My understanding was that Doom, with the help of Strange, created everything that wasn't in either of the Arks from his own memories, and then changed them to his liking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

Honestly I never knew Sue could turn things invisible other than herself. Admittedly I don't read any FF. How long has that been a thing? Based on the last couple posts I'd guess for decades, and it just doesn't come up often?

Once upon a time, Sue's power was just 'turn invisible' but about two dozen issues in she finds she can turn other stuff invisible (and I think that's when she also starts with the force field), so it's been a while. I don't think she got 'actually the most powerful member of the team' until Byrne, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metalshark posted:

Bet it has a little purple helmet on it.

God drat it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/status/1112722763792424962

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I get it, that's a good April fools joke

Because no one is clamoring for a carnage book

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nilbop posted:

I might be misremembering this but I don't think that was Sue. Sue died when their Ark ruptured on the day of the final incursion, with Reed being the only member of the Feef to survive. My understanding was that Doom, with the help of Strange, created everything that wasn't in either of the Arks from his own memories, and then changed them to his liking.

Correct. Sue, Ben, Johnny, and the kids die before Battleworld is established and Doom brings them back as part of his creation. Battleworld is destroyed at the end and Reed starts from scratch bringing everyone back and resetting the universes before going off to rebuild the multiverse. All things considered I believe only Reed, Doom, and T’Challa were the only people to actually survive both the end of the old universe AND the rebirth of the new one. Everyone else was rebooted along with the universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I still wanna know what happened during the timeskip before Secret Wars so Scott Summers ended up with his own country and a Phoenix egg.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Hopefully Hickman X-men will be able to use some of those ideas.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just now reread secret wars 9 and it doesn't seem entirely explicit on what Susan remembers, but it does read like she was aware of dooms battleworld and the end/reed's reboot during the final dialogue scene, and she obviously has her memories of her pre-battleworld life intact, so I'm not sure i could be wrong i guess

site fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 1, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Correct. Sue, Ben, Johnny, and the kids die before Battleworld is established and Doom brings them back as part of his creation. Battleworld is destroyed at the end and Reed starts from scratch bringing everyone back and resetting the universes before going off to rebuild the multiverse. All things considered I believe only Reed, Doom, and T’Challa were the only people to actually survive both the end of the old universe AND the rebirth of the new one. Everyone else was rebooted along with the universe.

The Silver Surfer and Loki survived also.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what kind of blackmail did jeph loeb have on the marvel higher-ups to get as many gigs as he did, i cant figure out how anybody thought this guy could write

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

what kind of blackmail did jeph loeb have on the marvel higher-ups to get as many gigs as he did, i cant figure out how anybody thought this guy could write

He wrote a bunch of pretty highly acclaimed and best selling stuff. You might not like them, but Long Halloween and Hush always show up on "Best Batman stories" lists, same with the Marvel Colors books. I think his Batman/Superman books were a perennial top seller. Then I remember people praising his work on Smallville getting them to embrace the wacky more super-hero side of the characters and getting them to do a proto-Justice League with it.

And I liked his first arc in Nova, even if it was about another kid named Sam.