Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

tarbrush posted:

In fairness, he of all people has experienced the implications of ignoring mass protests.

what, getting re-elected and retiring to make millions as an advisor to the world's most successful torturers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spangly A posted:

the british had a constitutional crisis over the concept of taxes last century and the king completely eradicated the concept of the house of lords mattering in retaliation

it is very useful to understand that in britain the monarchs are often to the left of the government, and being able to lean on this is why they keep surviving revolutions

e; oh yeah to make the implication clear, "You can't be king" was waaaaaay to the tolerant side of the UKs views on "catholics"

at least taxes matter, who gives a gently caress about who edward the 8th was loving other than a bunch of lords spiritual

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

galenanorth posted:

Part of me wants to see how far a right-wing democracy can go toward dictatorship before liberals in other countries start calling for regime change (they never would)

looking forward to 2022, I guess

are there any liberals calling for regime change in russia

iran is also a "right wing" "democracy" in that it is a democracy that is explicitly managed by a fundamentally conservative executive-judiciary

Mackers posted:

yeah given the bloodthirsty electorate that W had I'm pretty sure the entire world (rather than like a big brown chunk of it) would be a smoking ruin right now, probably through sheer retardedness if trump had that power

E: and obama pardoned them all lol centrism is a disease

obama didn't pardon them, he granted them the even more grotesque super-pardon where the powerful are not even accused of a crime. giving and receiving a pardon is an admission that a wrong was done. skipping that step is a statement that the person is above the law.

the fact that the uk parliament produced reports that officially stated that the iraq and libyan invasion were based on lies and should not have been done is more than the US has done, yet still the perpetrators of those wrongs are treated as outside the reach of the law or even political censure

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raskolnikov38 posted:

at least taxes matter, who gives a gently caress about who edward the 8th was loving other than a bunch of lords spiritual

he was a fascist sympathiser and very popular, they were looking for a reason to shove him out because he actually constituted a real threat to british democracy if the worst were to happen

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Der Meister posted:

I’m glad the brexit thread gets overrun with Americans as it’s a nice lil practice run for what we are about to do to your economy british friends

Tbh it's one of the things I really like about this thread compared to UKMT cause it makes it way less likely UK posters can do their whole "the Queen is actually very good" or "parliament actually makes a lot of sense" without being lmaod at by foreigners

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

When obvs any self respecting leftist is a republican who wants to abolish parliament

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hentai Jihadist posted:

When obvs any self respecting leftist is a republican who wants to abolish parliament

are you like a marxist-leninist or something

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

MikeCrotch posted:

so whats your spaghetti bolognese recipe

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

he was a fascist sympathiser and very popular

i thought most of that came after he abdicated

V. Illych L. posted:

british democracy

lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Tbh it's one of the things I really like about this thread compared to UKMT cause it makes it way less likely UK posters can do their whole "the Queen is actually very good" or "parliament actually makes a lot of sense" without being lmaod at by foreigners

I don't think more than one poster has ever said either of those things in the UKMT.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

MikeCrotch posted:

lol if you're not like a marxist-leninist or something

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Hentai Jihadist is anti-Yang so can we even trust him? Who knows I personally think a UBI would help the working class regroup and organise

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't think more than one poster has ever said either of those things in the UKMT.

There are some of us that think uk parliament is basically a decent system relatively speaking and we do occasionally kick up a wee fuss about it. There are more than just me in the UKMT that think the literal mother of parliaments is basically quite good.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Daily Mail 2021: Is Corbyn a Marxist-Obamunist?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Yuli Ban posted:

Daily Mail 2021: Is Corbyn a Marxist-Obamunist?

ISLAMIC COMMUNAZI NOW WELCOMED TO MAYS NEGOTIATIONS?

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
fuckin hell, is there any silver lining to any of this bullshit going on? Is there any reason to keep on going?

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Ball Cupper posted:

fuckin hell, is there any silver lining to any of this bullshit going on? Is there any reason to keep on going?

If the UK collapses after a no-deal Brexit, the Beatles will reunite and lead a Lennonist revolution.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

are there any liberals calling for regime change in russia

iran is also a "right wing" "democracy" in that it is a democracy that is explicitly managed by a fundamentally conservative executive-judiciary

I was excluding Russia because it has nukes, seeing as how they might be overlooking those for the sake of pragmatism of avoiding nuclear war, but I wasn't thinking about it hard enough to realize that by those rules I'd also have to exclude the United Kingdom. While writing the post, I also forgot that not every right-wing democracy or dictatorship is aligned with U.S. right-wing and/or business interests and different sets of religious conservatives or rival groups of billionaires are sometimes at odds

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Apr 1, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i thought most of that came after he abdicated

lmao

most of it, yeah, because he didn't have to hide it after he was forced out. there was a non-zero probability that he could've colluded with a fascist movement in a coup, and that's the real reason they kicked him out on a flimsy pretext

also as an american you're rather in glass houses on this one

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

also as an american you're rather in glass houses on this one

we dont have a monarchy

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

laffo at loving blair chastising a moderately leftist labour platform as "revolutionary"

just gently caress off

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Just call me mr brexit

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we dont have a monarchy

We do have an aristocracy tho

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

This is exactly the same self-justifying poo poo Bill Clinton and Joe Biden have been doing for years

All of you, just go away forever, please

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol the guy who tried to minimize Britain's imperial colonialist past is now saying there's like, maybe one royalist in UKMT what's the fuss guys

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I just don't see how you solve any of the UKs problems while leaving even a single current MP in their job or parliament in the same form it is now.

It's totally unfit for purpose and filled with uniquely unqualified people for the job of running the country.

Id probably replace it with a democracy before communist dictatorship though

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
our poo poo society does not fuckin produce people who "represent" their voters at all lol the whole thing is a farce

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I just don't see how you solve any of the UKs problems while leaving even a single current MP in their job or parliament in the same form it is now.

It's totally unfit for purpose and filled with uniquely unqualified people for the job of running the country.

Id probably replace it with a democracy before communist dictatorship though

You guys tried direct democracy 3 times in the last decade and in each instance it went badly.

Time to let the queen have a try IMO. She can make that enormous man that runs her favorite hotel her PM.

If she fucks it up you can get rid of the monarchy, if it fixes things, then the monarchy is good after all. Win-win.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Apr 1, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Hentai Jihadist is anti-Yang so can we even trust him? Who knows I personally think a UBI would help the working class regroup and organise

There are some of us that think uk parliament is basically a decent system relatively speaking and we do occasionally kick up a wee fuss about it. There are more than just me in the UKMT that think the literal mother of parliaments is basically quite good.

Yeah this attitude is more or less what I'm talking about. Received wisdom and respect for the aristocracy. "The mother of parliaments" lol
Basically national propaganda and apologia that filters down from the ruling class and takes up shop in people's brains. It's old therefore it's good, just for God's sake don't pay attention to the total utter state its been in for decades if not centuries.

Not to mention being enough of a rube to back Yang.
An anti immigration tech millionaire who is quite up front that his UBI scheme is a wealth transfer to debt holders and a replacement for benefits. Tut tut.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

hakimashou posted:

You guys tried direct democracy 3 times in the last decade and in each instance it went badly.

democracy doesnt really work when you've got a oval office screaming "MURDER THE BROWNS gently caress THE POOR" in your face all day every day.

We are loving stupid and just eventually internalize that without even noticing it happening

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Grape posted:

Yes, somehow George W Bush is worse than any current world leaders in spite of there being various dictators and strongmen waging wars in other countries. You sound very aware of the world.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Yeah this attitude is more or less what I'm talking about. Received wisdom and respect for the aristocracy. "The mother of parliaments" lol
Basically national propaganda and apologia that filters down from the ruling class and takes up shop in people's brains. It's old therefore it's good, just for God's sake don't pay attention to the total utter state its been in for decades if not centuries.

Not to mention being enough of a rube to back Yang.
An anti immigration tech millionaire who is quite up front that his UBI scheme is a wealth transfer to debt holders and a replacement for benefits. Tut tut.

Yang is also a proponent of UK style austerity measures in the name of making government more efficient just like the private sector.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

etalian posted:

Yang is also a proponent of UK style austerity measures in the name of making government more efficient just like the private sector.

Haha did he actually mention UK austerity or is that just shorthand for "radical self destructive objectivism"?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BioMe posted:

laffo at loving blair chastising a moderately leftist labour platform as "revolutionary"

just gently caress off

he's concerned about being held account for his war crimes, Corbyn really would relish the opportunity to prosecute Blair for Iraq - and Blair knows it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Nonsense posted:

Just call me mr brexit
They call me Mr. Brexit, because when I come, disaster follows.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

shirts and skins posted:

This is exactly the same self-justifying poo poo Bill Clinton and Joe Biden have been doing for years

All of you, just go away forever, please

It says a lot about how much I've changed in a few years that seeing the recent news of Biden accusers popping up actually made me lightly happy.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we dont have a monarchy

But goddamn if their loving picture on all the money isn't fit for royalty.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tony blart

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JFairfax posted:

he's concerned about being held account for his war crimes, Corbyn really would relish the opportunity to prosecute Blair for Iraq - and Blair knows it.

That and Leveson, give that poo poo to me. It'd do so much good to hold people to account, just for once

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Some fresh gammon for you all

https://twitter.com/pointlesslettrs/status/1112356806490312705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Squizzle posted: