Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Is this an addendum to the Amiibo2Ass experiment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Imagined posted:

I set my 6 year old up on an emulator with 'Ocarina of Time'. Him: "I hate the camera in this game."

It's definitely an issue with those early 3D games but I don't even remember having that terminology or like, critical faculty when I was his age to realize that there WAS a "camera" in video games and that that might be the issue.

Anyway this has been me bragging on my kid thanks for your time.

Mario 64 actually taught me the concept of the camera because Lakitu carried it around

Kids are more astute than people give em credit though, especially now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean most tutorials in games literally start with "control the camera with (stick)" instructions

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Yoshi started out eh but ended up being extremely good, in my opinion. Had way more character than Wooly World and much better level design. Really enjoyed the world that was just full of really stressful levels (clowns...)

:Edit: thinking about it, it's probably my favorite Yoshi game and favorite Nintendo platformer since Mario 3D World (minus Odyssey)

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 1, 2019

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Aerofallosov posted:

Edit: Also, will it hurt if I turn off my Switch at night? It gets really warm if I leave it on.

If you're using an ethernet adapter it'll stay warm when in the dock. You can just unplug the network cable from the adapter at night.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PeePot posted:

If you're using an ethernet adapter it'll stay warm when in the dock. You can just unplug the network cable from the adapter at night.

I have an ethernet adapter and this never happens to me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

VladimirLeninpest posted:

:Edit: thinking about it, it's probably my favorite Yoshi game and favorite Nintendo platformer since Mario 3D World (minus Odyssey)

Wait, better than Yoshi Island?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Also, has anyone picked up World Tree Marche? It looks super cute.

And it's not SUPER WARM. I just want to take the best possible care of my Switch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It seems the wireless in my Switch has died, I can still get in the internet with an ethernet adapter, but it's seeing exactly zero wireless networks.

Tried disconnecting the battery for a half hour or so and doing an initialization with zero luck. Guess I'm going to have to pay to have Nintendo fix it since it's almost two years old now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lunar detritus posted:

Let's not get crazy here. Better than any yoshi game after YI

The real neat thing about Crafted World is that the worlds themselves are all 2 levels long, or 3 in some cases. It cycles through themes at such a breakneck speed that it's kind of shocking. The only downside to this is that there's some cool settings that I wish to see more with. (And to clarify there's like 30 something level sets).

For two stages you'll be in space, next two stages a haunted mansion with jump scares, next two levels are a ancient ninja castle, next two stages is a dinosaur park. It's just blow after blow of new ideas.
The controls are fantastic and the only real complaint I have is that I feel like there hasn't been a difficulty climb at all (and I'm on my way to the last gem) and again, the music. The boss fight theme in particular is *dreadful* and the bosses are all amusing ideas but none of them actually feel like they actually have a chance to hit you.

It's a good game that is worth checking out just to see all the setting ideas it rockets through.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

lunar detritus posted:

I personally think so right now but idk that may change the further out I get from this one. I thought they did a good job at keeping everything concise in this game. Each level is a few minutes and each world is only a few levels. The whole main game was maybe 5 hours, but I felt like what was there was very solid and I didn't feel underwhelmed like I did with Kirby. I know there's more content to go back to if I want to collect everything as well.

Yoshi's Island has some great high points, but the levels generally go on way too long and can feel unfocused. Going back to it is a bit of a slog for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yoshi's Island is a perfect video game. Crafted World is good but not even in the same ball park

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Level theme wise crafted world is better, but YI offers a actual challenge that ramps up, one of the all time best video game OST's and super fast super responsive gameplay that no other yoshi game really aims for for some reason.

Crafted World also kinda suffers from having 90% of the enemies just being Shy Guys. Not even weirdos like the tall ones. It kind of depends on what you want I guess, CW is if you're wanting a stress free life that you can sleepwalk your way through and just enjoy the creativity behind levels. YI if you want a Real rear end Video Game

CW Also loses points because fat shy guys don't give you Big Egg but instead just 3 tiny ones. What the gently caress is that even implying nintendo give me the big egg

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://youtu.be/hwZCiBSUN4A

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How were Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island? I heard the latter isn't all that great but YIDS seems to have gotten good reviews?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Yoshi's Island DS looks and sounds absolutely hideous, the baby swapping gimmick sucks poo poo and every single level goes on twice as long as it should, it's absolutely the worst post-SNES Yoshi game with the possible exception of the GBA tilt sensor game that I can't speak for

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yoshi's Island DS is a game that I remember thinking got more hate than it deserves, but also it was still mediocre and all I remember is they rushed the final boss to the point it's music was literally unfinished in the NA version.

New Island is a offense to every sense though but, shockingly it isn't bad. It's just insanely boring.

E: Also I think DS mostly *looked* fine, but it has literally the worst bowser sprite nintendo has ever put out and they try to recreate the baby bowser fight with him with the most hosed up perspective possible. Like if you think about it Bowser has to have legs that are two times longer than his original body for it to work and that mental image is horrifying.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 1, 2019

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Also I think DS mostly *looked* fine

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I do not remember this

What *is* this.

E: I'm now looking at gameplay and everything not that kangaroo(????) thing looks alright and vibrant. How bizarre.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 1, 2019

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Game Theory knowing what its audience wants

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HPanda posted:

Apart from being a piece of history, is there anything in Mario 1 that 3 doesn't do better?

It has the most iconic of all pieces of video game music in history, but that's basically it.

Mak0rz posted:

How were Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island? I heard the latter isn't all that great but YIDS seems to have gotten good reviews?

DS sucked from what I heard and New Island was a poor man's rehash of YI and completely dull, I got bored after 3 play sessions and never beat it. It's not worth it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yoshi’s Island DS is not very good but I did mostly enjoy it the first time I played it due to just the novelty of having a direct sequel to the original. The music sucked but I thought it looked nice, other than that kangaroo. I remember thinking that sprite looked odd and out of place when I encountered it the first time.

New is a little better gameplay-wise but is still a pretty mediocre rehash of the original that has even less ambition than DS.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Just found the last tower in BOTW. I have 30-something shrines done and I can't even believe there are 90 more to find. I feel like I'm going to be playing this game until the next one comes out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Finished up blaster master zero yesterday, that was fun, now I'm playing through as gunvolt and I like how differently the game plays. I hope Zero 2 ended up being good because if so I'll have to pick that up at some point.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

FirstAidKite posted:

Finished up blaster master zero yesterday, that was fun, now I'm playing through as gunvolt and I like how differently the game plays. I hope Zero 2 ended up being good because if so I'll have to pick that up at some point.

i finished it earlier today and there is one section that's really bad near the end of the game, but other than that it was ok

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lessail posted:

i finished it earlier today and there is one section that's really bad near the end of the game, but other than that it was ok

Oh I really liked that section, I thought it was really cool.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Anybody else have issues with their dock, where it takes a few times of docking/undocking the Switch before the HDMI "recognizes" and sends the signal to the TV?

It's not the HDMI cable or the TV, as best I can tell. Maybe it doesn't always get seated correctly in the dock and the video signal can't connect.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
How do I enable the cloud saves? I want a new sd card so I figure it's be easier to just save it to cloud, change cards, then redownload them. Anyone done that before?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It should be automatic if you have a subscription. I think it'll indicate on the menu if cloud saves are active for the game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bull3964 posted:

It seems the wireless in my Switch has died, I can still get in the internet with an ethernet adapter, but it's seeing exactly zero wireless networks.

Tried disconnecting the battery for a half hour or so and doing an initialization with zero luck. Guess I'm going to have to pay to have Nintendo fix it since it's almost two years old now.

Did you turn airplane mode on? That disables the wifi.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mandatory lesbian posted:

How do I enable the cloud saves? I want a new sd card so I figure it's be easier to just save it to cloud, change cards, then redownload them. Anyone done that before?

All saves are on the system memory, only the actual games go on your SD card

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

pixaal posted:

Did you turn airplane mode on? That disables the wifi.

No.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Yoshi's Island is a perfect video game. Crafted World is good but not even in the same ball park

Statements like "Crafted World just wasn't made for you" are silly. It's not like Yoshi's Island was targeted at old men so I think it's fair to compare Crafted World to it unfavorably.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looking forward to Captain Falcon's Space Adventure.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pixaal posted:

Looks like physical is Japan only at least for PS4 and Switch. Switch will play carts from any region. It says it has English subtitles with Japanese audio, I don't know about the menus and items. The English voice acting has some really grating voices I don't know if the Japanese audio is any better.
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon's (Switch) US digital, Japanese digital, and Japanese physical releases are all identical. It's the exact same product code.

pixaal posted:

Do note if any DLC is released you do need to buy it from the region the cartridge is from, so any DLC will require Japanese eShop credit however you want to get that.
I haven't tried to purchase DLC from the US eShop for a Japanese cartridge, but it is the same eShop listing so I think it would work. The eShop code that comes with the Japanese physical release has to be redeemed on the Japanese store though.

Willo567 posted:

Would you recommend Amazon Japan to buy it from?
Absolutely. Amazon Japan ships effectively next-day DHL for ¥950. Even paying for shipping, since there's no tax and the dollar is stronger than the yen, most Japanese games are $1-2 more than games I purchase from Amazon US and some are cheaper.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 1, 2019

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

Game saves are on internal memory, not the SD card. All you need to do is power the switch off, put in the new SD card, turn it on, and then open each home screen icon to redownload the game. Saves will be intact.

If you want to use cloud saves though you have to register for Nintendo Switch Online, and then you can manage the saves for each game from the home screen + menu.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

if there’s no touching fuzzy getting dizzy I’m not interested

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just got matching versions of this one for us

Never seen a really good Nintendo shirt, so we had to jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

Just got matching versions of this one for us

Never seen a really good Nintendo shirt, so we had to jump on it.

Uh Mario 2/6 Golden Coins hearts with Mario 1 sprites?

I am mad at this