Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been using okcupid for a long time and met a lot of people from it. Things have noticeably changed in the last five years, for sure. Also, one person I met who was particularly attractive showed me their OKC inbox and it was literally filling up with creepy messages as we talked, it was absurd. That's another barrier to getting to people you might have an interest in on sites/apps like that, there's a veritable flak cannon of the shitpost equivalent of dating website messages flying at anyone remotely attractive nonstop, penetrating that barrage is difficult at best.

I'm sure there'd be a better thread to discuss the loss of standard opposite (or same) sex connections in the last decade than the uspol thread though, or someone could make one about the topic in particular.

They recently changed okcupid so no one can just send messages. You have to send a message into the void to someone, then their profile vanishes from your ability to see it. It does not alert them directly that you messaged them or show them the message, it just pops up that they got a message and they will never see it until they browse to your specific profile (with no possible way to know to do this but to check every profile on earth). It's surely ended the issue of girls getting huge number of creepy messages but basically seems to have made it a pay only site. As you could never possibly receive a message from a stranger on it.

cat tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Mad cow is a prion disease. Horses have an equivalent prion disease. Some isolated natives communities with cannabalism have prion diseases. Basically anytime nervous systems and especially brains are eaten it can pop up.

thank you i know what a prion disease is.

wasting disease is currently spreading in the united states, and that's spread by cannibal deer.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
April is soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOFs0iAwDg

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

mod sassinator posted:

No offense, but you clearly haven't been in the dating pool since the 2000's or 90's. The whole 'just go up and talk to women' thing died with the rise of smartphones. If you find a girl by herself at a bar / club / show whatever they are almost certainly on their phone and it's a huge creepy move to break through that force field and try to have a conversation. Read that Atlantic piece you mention, it says there's a huge disconnect where women wish they would fall in love with a man randomly talking to them but in reality think it's extremely creepy and odd for dudes to start talking to them out of nowhere.

At least for me, it's the other way around. That is, the dudes who start talking to me out of nowhere are, invariably, creeps. I don't think it's inherently creepy, because whenever a woman or nonbinary person I don't know compliments me or buys me a drink or whatever, they're respectful about it and it's a positive experience.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hey Fiz I sent you a PM about a thing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey Fiz I sent you a PM about a thing.

oh yeah sorry i forgot to respond to that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Its also worth noting that a statistical jump that large may indicate a change in how many young men admit to not having sex.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pablo Nergigante posted:

People use the apps for dating too. I met my girlfriend on Tinder

Wow. I met my wife on Yahoo Personals when that was still a thing. Way to make me feel old.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A healthy thread to balance out the horrors...

https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1112524051455586305

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Z. Autobahn posted:

In the world of singles, women tend to have more sex. In the world of married couples, it's even. Reducing marriage and protacting the age of singledom expands the period of time in which women have more sex.

I did not know this! Is that a thing there's been studies on?

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I think it's this framing that is part of the problem actually.

Within this particular study the increase in the number of young men who aren't having sex is a recent trend where you'd think the amount of people who have low sex drive or are asexual is fairly consistent over time though. (I don't have any comment on the poster you quoted, just clarifying my own position.)

What would be interesting is finding out if you can narrow the 'young men not having sex' field further than just gender and age. Like, is this trend hitting primarily white, non-college educated men? Or is it consistent across racial/class lines? Basically to tie this back into politics in the USPOL thread, I wonder if the complete and utter failure of conservative dating sites is part of a larger trend of women rejecting conservativism.

I know it may not be particularly likely, but it'd be really funny if the reason all these young men can't get laid is Donald Trump.

FizFashizzle posted:

cannibal deer.

:stonk:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Antlers take alot of calcium, they'll eat most anything they can to get it ocassionally birds, squirrels, etc.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

what are the odds turnp has a prion disease

Extremely unlikely. They don't happen with anywhere near the prevalence the news hypes (the entire Mad Cow Disease thing was 231 cases since 1996, worldwide) and zero confirmed cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (the deer version) getting to people.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What if Trump really is completely sound of mind and is just that loving stupid? I tend to doubt it due to seeing videos of him from the 90s when he wasn’t... this, but who knows for sure.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

mistaya posted:

I did not know this! Is that a thing there's been studies on?

Within this particular study the increase in the number of young men who aren't having sex is a recent trend where you'd think the amount of people who have low sex drive or are asexual is fairly consistent over time though. (I don't have any comment on the poster you quoted, just clarifying my own position.)

What would be interesting is finding out if you can narrow the 'young men not having sex' field further than just gender and age. Like, is this trend hitting primarily white, non-college educated men? Or is it consistent across racial/class lines? Basically to tie this back into politics in the USPOL thread, I wonder if the complete and utter failure of conservative dating sites is part of a larger trend of women rejecting conservativism.

I know it may not be particularly likely, but it'd be really funny if the reason all these young men can't get laid is Donald Trump.

:stonk:

The trend started in 2008 though. IMHO all the analysis etc. is done by folks that aren't really in the dating world these days and completely fail to realize all the apps like Tinder, etc. took off around... 2008 or so.

But yeah to bring it back to US politics, I think it's a pretty darn scary trend. If we think incels murdering people and nazi dirtbags are a problem now, just wait for another ten years and the sexless young male population to rise even higher.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What if Trump really is completely sound of mind and is just that loving stupid? I tend to doubt it due to seeing videos of him from the 90s when he wasn’t... this, but who knows for sure.

"Just that loving stupid" does not equal completely sound of mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwx2ce_AyOE

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Pretty sure that Trump has eaten anything that can be pressed into patty form and put on a bun.

okay but has McD made it a product? The most exotic main protein McD has ever had is the fish sandwich.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

PhazonLink posted:

okay but has McD made it a product? The most exotic main protein McD has ever had is the fish sandwich.

:crossarms: Excuse me, it seems you've failed to remember the McRib is back.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mod sassinator posted:

But yeah to bring it back to US politics, I think it's a pretty darn scary trend. If we think incels murdering people and nazi dirtbags are a problem now, just wait for another ten years and the sexless young male population to rise even higher.

No. Incel "culture" is supremely hosed up. It's not just the result of young men having less sex, and suggesting that it is has all kinds of problematic implications. Not getting laid is just the excuse that a lot of extremely maladjusted and/or mentally ill individuals have used to justify their hosed up beliefs about women. Normal people who don't have sex don't suddenly start believing that women should be made into literal mindless sex slaves.

At best, the whole incel thing has the same underlying causes as whatever it is that we're talking about here, but that's it.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Mad cow is a prion disease. Horses have an equivalent prion disease. Some isolated natives communities with cannabalism have prion diseases. Basically anytime nervous systems and especially brains are eaten it can pop up.

Can prion disease be sexually transmitted? Asking for a vice president friend.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Paradoxish posted:

No. Incel "culture" is supremely hosed up. It's not just the result of young men having less sex, and suggesting that it is has all kinds of problematic implications. Not getting laid is just the excuse that a lot of extremely maladjusted and/or mentally ill individuals have used to justify their hosed up beliefs about women. Normal people who don't have sex don't suddenly start believing that women should be made into literal mindless sex slaves.

At best, the whole incel thing has the same underlying causes as whatever it is that we're talking about here, but that's it.

I'm with you in that just not having sex doesn't turn you into a misogynistic murderer. But it definitely makes you frustrated and much more receptive to manipulation. Look at the rise of alt right heros like Jordan Peterson. He's trying to preach to these frustrated men that their problems aren't their fault and that it's the women who refuse to conform to some ridiculous 1950's social norm's fault. Give it a little more time and there's going to be a more aggressive Peterson replacing him, maybe telling these guys 'hey you know why you aren't getting any? because these women are NPCs! they're not even humans...' etc.

Like if I were an alt-right shithead I would look at that chart of sexless men and realize.. those are my people to recruit. And based on that chart it's a lot of people (28% of men in their 20's!).

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Esplanade posted:

Can prion disease be sexually transmitted? Asking for a vice president friend.

https://twitter.com/highonthighs/st...url=https%3A%2F

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

japan in 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

mod sassinator posted:

:crossarms: Excuse me, it seems you've failed to remember the McRib is back.

thats pork-like substances.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I met my wife on OKC 10 years ago, and thank loving god. I wouldn't survive the modern dating scene. I have tons of single male friends, and they seem like they can't catch any luck no matter what, and the single ladies I know are inundated with creeps non-stop. It's a weird dichotomy.

I met my wife through a friend while drunk at a pub because I believe in tradition and ancient moral values. I also would be poo poo out of luck in the modern dating scene, it would not work for me.

My female friends on tinder etc get an unending stream of dick pics and creeps. Personally I think men aren't getting any because in the past whilst loads of them wanted to instantly get their dicks out and show them to woman believing it to be some incredible lure, that sort of behaviour was discouraged in pubs and restaurants. Only a smaller minority would actually do that. What tinder has done is reveal that there was a sizable group of disgusting men who would have liked to get it out within five minutes of meeting a woman but didn't have the guts to do it. With tinder they've finally been able to realise their dream dating strategy and thus woman have realised how secretly disgusting most men are. Or perhaps realised they are even more disgusting and creepy than they already thought they were.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mod sassinator posted:

I'm with you in that just not having sex doesn't turn you into a misogynistic murderer. But it definitely makes you frustrated and much more receptive to manipulation. Look at the rise of alt right heros like Jordan Peterson. He's trying to preach to these frustrated men that their problems aren't their fault and that it's the women who refuse to conform to some ridiculous 1950's social norm's fault. Give it a little more time and there's going to be a more aggressive Peterson replacing him, maybe telling these guys 'hey you know why you aren't getting any? because these women are NPCs! they're not even humans...' etc.

Like if I were an alt-right shithead I would look at that chart of sexless men and realize.. those are my people to recruit. And based on that chart it's a lot of people (28% of men in their 20's!).

Not saying it’s one way or another but have you co soldered that you may be putting the cart in front of the horse here? Another explanation is that their toxic spiraling mentality is what’s causing them in being unable to get laid.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Tax:

https://twitter.com/666SHAN/status/1110899802689150976

Seems to be set on repeat, so feel free to let it run. If not, set for repeat, and let it run.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Illuminti posted:

I met my wife through a friend while drunk at a pub because I believe in tradition and ancient moral values. I also would be poo poo out of luck in the modern dating scene, it would not work for me.

My female friends on tinder etc get an unending stream of dick pics and creeps. Personally I think men aren't getting any because in the past whilst loads of them wanted to instantly get their dicks out and show them to woman believing it to be some incredible lure, that sort of behaviour was discouraged in pubs and restaurants. Only a smaller minority would actually do that. What tinder has done is reveal that there was a sizable group of disgusting men who would have liked to get it out within five minutes of meeting a woman but didn't have the guts to do it. With tinder they've finally been able to realise their dream dating strategy and thus woman have realised how secretly disgusting most men are. Or perhaps realised they are even more disgusting and creepy than they already thought they were.

Yeah there's definitely something to this as well.

When my wife and I met online we spoke online for six months before we met in person. We met in person for the first time at a pub with tons of people around.

I just don't understand how tinder leads to that scenario these days.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Rex-Goliath posted:

Not saying it’s one way or another but have you co soldered that you may be putting the cart in front of the horse here? Another explanation is that their toxic spiraling mentality is what’s causing them in being unable to get laid.

If that were true we'd see a heck of a lot more problems. It would mean 25%+ of young men are toxic shitheads that turn off all the women around them. We'd be seeing much bigger unrest and chaos--stuff like Charlottesville would be happening in every city.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

that's just extreme apologizing. apparently there was even a manga where the protag's power was doing it very good.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

mod sassinator posted:

Does it though? I feel like the effect can't be that large. When I think of frustration i think of missed paychecks, insurance fuckery, that sort of thing. I say if youre that loving frustrated just jerk it. Call it holding your own

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I wonder if Regular Car Reviews is right that Tinder exists now solely for men to send unwarranted dick pics and for women to get more Instagram followers.

And the dating scene is awful now mostly because of everyone trying to ghost the other person first and I have no idea what specific ritual of people have to undergo these days just to go on an actual in person date.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Does it though? I feel like the effect can't be that large. When I think of frustration i think of missed paychecks, insurance fuckery, that sort of thing. I say if youre that loving frustrated just jerk it. Call it holding your own

Read the article that goes with the charts and there's a good proxy measurement for virginity in there too. Something like 27% of men reporting no sexual activity since they turned 18: https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1111629177575350279

Just jerking it isn't a fix for them. I have to imagine the crossover between that demographic and alt-right shitheads, black pillers, etc. is astounding.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

CubanMissile posted:

I wonder if Regular Car Reviews is right that Tinder exists now solely for men to send unwarranted dick pics and for women to get more Instagram followers.

And the dating scene is awful now mostly because of everyone trying to ghost the other person first and I have no idea what specific ritual of people have to undergo these days just to go on an actual in person date.

Married / coupled person spotted.

(Tinder doesn't let you send photos, only text)

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I got a bit zooted last night and stupidly decided to read this thread and got a nice big laugh about US electing the worst person imaginable to the presidency. Thankfully it was not followed by a weird introspective spiral.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

mod sassinator posted:

Married / coupled person spotted.

(Tinder doesn't let you send photos, only text)

No, once you start talking to someone on Tinder for awhile, often Instragram and other social media info is exchanged and you follow each other.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CubanMissile posted:

The key to not get ghosted is to be a little bit entertaining/interesting. Some conversations are just duds right off the hop, so what's the loving point? If you can't give me more than two word replies, you're either not into it or I'm not gonna be interested.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It is a depressing cycle. Almost turning 30 and a virgin, not sure what to do, ah well.

But yea talking to enough woman who use online dating, so many men are loving gross. No wonder they don't want to deal with that poo poo and become hyper selective.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

pacerhimself posted:

The key to not get ghosted is to be a little bit entertaining/interesting. Some conversations are just duds right off the hop, so what's the loving point? If you can't give me more than two word replies, you're either not into it or I'm not gonna be interested.

I don't like this because it leads to an escalation of sorts that seems to be focused on fake identity instead of natural conversation.

I'm old :corsair:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
USPOL: The key to not get ghosted is to be a little bit entertaining/interesting.

"Despite no GOP replacement plan, acting White House chief of staff claims Americans won’t lose health care if 'Obamacare' is struck down":

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mulvaney-guarantees-americans-covered-obama-health-care-law/story?id=62062573

[ACTING!]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Death By The Blues posted:

It is a depressing cycle. Almost turning 30 and a virgin, not sure what to do, ah well.

But yea talking to enough woman who use online dating, so many men are loving gross. No wonder they don't want to deal with that poo poo and become hyper selective.

It's not your identity and no one has to know or care about it. Way more people are out there in the same boat 'faking it until you make it' than you realize.