Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

rockinricky posted:

And it took the Best Picture Oscar. The only X-rated film to do so.

And John Wayne specifically called it out as an example of what Hollywood was doing wrong in his Playboy interview: more proof of its greatness, if any were needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Speaking of westerns? John Wayne hates, High Plains Drifter is good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Volcott posted:

Speaking of westerns? John Wayne hates, High Plains Drifter is good.

Also High Noon

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

OutsideAngel posted:

Also it beat out Hello Dolly.

That movie was the big budget behemoth of its day. A musical romantic comedy, featuring a huge cast of movie stars and and musicians (they got Louis Armstrong, yeah that one, to do the title track) directed by a venerable Hollywood name. And it got beat by an X-rated flick about two queer hustlers. It was a real culture shift.

I mean Hello Dolly was also a MASSIVE flop that helped kill the traditional movie musical for a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean Hello Dolly was also a MASSIVE flop that helped kill the traditional movie musical for a while.

And now it's almost entirely forgotten except for clips of it showing up in a Pixar movie about lovey-dovey robots.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now it's almost entirely forgotten except for clips of it showing up in a Pixar movie about lovey-dovey robots.

The only thing I know about Hello Dolly is the extended parody they did of it in Freakazoid for no reason. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ExplodingSims posted:

The only thing I know about Hello Dolly is the extended parody they did of it in Freakazoid for no reason. :v:

The only thing I know is that it doesn't even feature Dolly Parton.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only thing I know is that it doesn't even feature Dolly Parton.

This really hosed with me when I learned it, tbh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

So much so that he starred in Rio Bravo, made by an equally triggered Howard Hawks, which is basically the same story but with all the parts they found un-american changed.

Unfortunately for my post, it's also actually really good. Apparently there was once a time where reactionary chuds could do that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

christmas boots posted:

So much so that he starred in Rio Bravo, made by an equally triggered Howard Hawks, which is basically the same story but with all the parts they found un-american changed.

Unfortunately for my post, it's also actually really good. Apparently there was once a time where reactionary chuds could do that.

Was Rio Bravo the one he made 2 or 3 times with different actors?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Toshimo posted:

Was Rio Bravo the one he made 2 or 3 times with different actors?

Yeah. El Dorado is essentially the same exact plot and characters, although I think it was played a little bit lighter/more comedic than Rio Bravo. Wikipedia also says Rio Lobo was the third time that Howard Hawks and John Wayne did the same basic plot, but I honestly don’t remember that movie at all.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

you're definitely right here but it's interesting to note how it helped kill the traditional movie musical: those had been on the decline since the early 1960s (some people blame the rise of modern rock and roll music for making traditional musicals sound like stuff your grandpa plays on his gramophone while the ongoing rise of TV, starting in the mid 50s, ate into hollywood profits in general). however. the continuing runaway successes of certain -epic scale- musicals like the sound of music made studios -think- the only reliable money left in the genre was for these huge parade spectacles and many threw in their hats for the high risk, high reward money

hello dolly actually made a ton of money, like it was one of the highest earning films that season, on top of being reasonably well-received critically at first while managing an armful of oscar nominations, but it still wasn't so successful that it could recoup its massive production budget (it was like a mini-version of the elizabeth taylor cleopatra situation except more financially disastrous) and it nearly killed fox studios- the perceived razor thin margin of error of losing on anything less than a roaring success helped dissuade studios from the genre even tho a lot of the 'epic scale' musicals like the sound of music actually had fairly tame budgets

the movie's reputation fell hard when people learned what a bomb it was, it was later criticized for just throwing massive nonsense numbers at audiences for apparently no reason other than to run up expense

christmas boots posted:

it helped that john wayne apparently had a really nice, optimistic view of what westerns should be and how trying circumstances on the frontier elevated regular old americans into small town folk heroes - that vision is a credible alternative to people just shrinking from their problems to become mean, cruel or cowardly

the problem is john wayne had an alarmingly narrow definition for what 'a regular american' was, even for his era

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s two types of westerns

John Wayne westerns and Clint Eastwood westerns

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Which was Wild Wild West?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That one is an exception

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fartknocker posted:

Yeah. El Dorado is essentially the same exact plot and characters, although I think it was played a little bit lighter/more comedic than Rio Bravo. Wikipedia also says Rio Lobo was the third time that Howard Hawks and John Wayne did the same basic plot, but I honestly don’t remember that movie at all.

Yeah, Rio Lobo was the weakest of them. I think El Dorado is the strongest because Robert Mitchum and James Caan make a better set of partners than Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson. Angie Dickinson and Walter Brennan are great in Rio Bravo, though.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Bloop posted:

Blade kicks rear end and now that Disney/Marvel owns the rights again I expect he'll be in MCU Phase4

I can't decide if I'd rather see Wesley Snipes on screen again (though that is unlikely since they'd basically be acknowledging the old movies)

or see Wesley Snipes apoplectic rage when Mahershala Ali is cast instead

marvel made the original 3 i thought? i know they made it for another company but i thought that was the start of their movie dept. i dont think he will be in phase 4 but ide love for them to start doing things in universe that dont have to tie into avengers X eventually. Blade would be a good start to that and they could do a few of their horror books in their own thing that is universe still.

hannibal king blade mobious and ghost rider ( if they ever get that one back )

snergle has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Mar 31, 2019

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

snergle posted:

marvel made the original 3 i thought? i know they made it for another company but i thought that was the start of their movie dept. i dont think he will be in phase 4 but ide love for them to start doing things in universe that dont have to tie into avengers X eventually. Blade would be a good start to that and they could do a few of their horror books in their own thing that is universe still.

hannibal king blade mobious and ghost rider ( if they ever get that one back )

They've already done a Ghost Rider on Agents of Shield so they could just continue with that. A Blade series on their streaming service would be a great way to sell it though. Or a Elsa Bloodstone monster of the week type show I would go nuts on that.

Edit: Seriously, how great of a series would this be.

quote:

Pursuing a monster-hunting occupation, she begins an online blog to create an electronic encyclopedic reference guide for the numerous monsters and alien beasts in the Marvel Universe.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Mar 31, 2019

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The True Grit remake is better than the original by virtue of having grit, whereas the original did not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Push El Burrito posted:

They've already done a Ghost Rider on Agents of Shield so they could just continue with that. A Blade series on their streaming service would be a great way to sell it though. Or a Elsa Bloodstone monster of the week type show I would go nuts on that.

Edit: Seriously, how great of a series would this be.

At this point you might as well just make Kolchak: The Night Stalker but Marvel.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At this point you might as well just make Kolchak: The Night Stalker but Marvel.

She lives in a castle with her mom and a frankenstein.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yes, please.

oldpainless posted:

Where does Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid fall? I like westerns, but I actually haven't watched a lot of John Wayne movies.

Edit: vv Ooh, yeah, I've been wanting to pick up White Sun of the Desert.

catlord has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Apr 1, 2019

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I kinda want to check out the Westerns that were put out by the Soviet Bloc (Red Westerns) just to see more about how they perceived the American West. Sons of the Great Bear, which has the natives as the good guys and features a trained attack bear killing cowboys, is apparently available in full on Youtube. The trailer was pretty great.

https://vimeo.com/102927862

I also remember seeing part of "White Sun of the Desert" back in college. That's part of a film genre that mimics the Western playbook, but is set in the Soviet far east. I vaguely remember the plot revolving around a Red Army veteran helping women from a Central Asian harem escape from their traditional village and something about a treasure. I imagine it'd be kinda weird to watch as anything but a curiosity now.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

It's mifune and bronson, and the closest thing to a YojimboXMan with No Name there is.

Haven't seen it, because while there is a youtube rip I'd like to see it in better quality

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grammarchist posted:

I kinda want to check out the Westerns that were put out by the Soviet Bloc (Red Westerns) just to see more about how they perceived the American West. Sons of the Great Bear, which has the natives as the good guys and features a trained attack bear killing cowboys, is apparently available in full on Youtube. The trailer was pretty great.

https://vimeo.com/102927862

I also remember seeing part of "White Sun of the Desert" back in college. That's part of a film genre that mimics the Western playbook, but is set in the Soviet far east. I vaguely remember the plot revolving around a Red Army veteran helping women from a Central Asian harem escape from their traditional village and something about a treasure. I imagine it'd be kinda weird to watch as anything but a curiosity now.

For something even weirder there’s an entire animated series about Pocohantas that was a combination Italian/North Korean production and its just as bizarre as you’d expect from that

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYXievo3ibiX8ae4IL1in2SgGlWMBm-W-

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

oldpainless posted:

If we go by this system Outlaw Josey Wales is a very John Wayne movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aesop Poprock posted:

For something even weirder there’s an entire animated series about Pocohantas that was a combination Italian/North Korean production and its just as bizarre as you’d expect from that

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYXievo3ibiX8ae4IL1in2SgGlWMBm-W-

You could probable do a whole niche marathon of movies and TV series made by one country based on a story/genre that is very much another's.

Last year there was a joint Australia and New Zealand TV series that was based on a 70s-80s Japanese TV show, that was itself an adaptation of Journey to the West. I didn't watch it, but it was apparently really weird.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

Cleretic posted:

You could probable do a whole niche marathon of movies and TV series made by one country based on a story/genre that is very much another's.

Last year there was a joint Australia and New Zealand TV series that was based on a 70s-80s Japanese TV show, that was itself an adaptation of Journey to the West. I didn't watch it, but it was apparently really weird.

Now I really want to see a New Zealand version of Dragonball.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Grammarchist posted:

sons of the great bear was pretty good and highly influential over there, iirc it led to the creation of an obscure subgenre sometimes called indianerfilme that focused more on empathetic depictions of native americans and their histories and how they managed to survive in an ancestral homeland that didn't belong to them anymore - this was also stuff germans were going through at the time and imposing the ideal german hero archetype (a virtuous man of nature who, in peace would be a romantic idealist, but in war was a sure and able warrior) onto native americans fit like a glove and resonated super well with german audiences at the time... on top of this, heavily criticizing the oppression ethnic minorities historically face helped germans come to terms with own recent history in fully acknowledging that they had totally been in the wrong and had to move on - there was a wave of literally hundreds of indianerklubs and museums that opened up in east and west germany to celebrate native american culture in the wake of that movie

for the most part these films were unfortunately written off over here as pure propaganda tho, german cinema was deffo experiencing a fair bit of censorship at the time, and they received much less attention especially since it was the germans who had the temerity to suggest that some parts of the settling of america was handled cruelly/motivated by greed/the results of a corrupted goverment and american patriots were pretty unwilling to let evil, possibly now communist, germans get on their case for these things

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

This is probably the least accurate name/post combo I've ever seen.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

grittyreboot posted:

https://youtu.be/IzYvaA8PvVs

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, Monkey was huge here back in the day.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Volcott posted:

The True Grit remake is better than the original by virtue of having grit, whereas the original did not.

Besides the bad green screen when Jeff Bidges is taking Haliee Stanfield back after her snake bite, I think it is a perfect movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Did someone say Darkhold Redeemers: The Series?!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's mifune and bronson, and the closest thing to a YojimboXMan with No Name there is.

Haven't seen it, because while there is a youtube rip I'd like to see it in better quality

I wonder if the Japanese ever made any westerns. I don't mean in the sense that Yojimbo is a western, but like an honest to goodness actual western with cowboys.

E: Don't say Cowboy Bebop even if it's true.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I wonder if the Japanese ever made any westerns. I don't mean in the sense that Yojimbo is a western, but like an honest to goodness actual western with cowboys.

Tampopo is a western.

But also yeah, they did make a handful of proper cowboy westerns, I'm pretty sure.

e: here's one

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The magnificent seven is just seven samurai with the serial numbers filed off, but I like it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

christmas boots posted:

Sukiyaki Western Django was interesting. Kinda weird mashup of western and samurai films.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Volcott posted:

The magnificent seven is just seven samurai with the serial numbers filed off, but I like it.

Outland is basically High Noon IN SPACE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cleretic posted:

Can confirm, it's loving bananas. I like it.