Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

jit bull transpile posted:

I thought reference checks were supposed to be like "did this person actually work with you k thx "

They are. Most companies have official policies that if a former employee uses a current employee as a reference the only thing they are allowed to say is the dates the employee worked at the company. There is a genuine fear of getting sued for slander if they ever say anything negative so the rule tends to be say nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TerminalRaptor posted:

They are. Most companies have official policies that if a former employee uses a current employee as a reference the only thing they are allowed to say is the dates the employee worked at the company. There is a genuine fear of getting sued for slander if they ever say anything negative so the rule tends to be say nothing at all.

I've experienced the same that companies basically go "yeah they worked here".

Only deviation from this was when interviewing at an investment bank, which in retrospect was a terrible idea

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
if you gave a dates only response to a request for a reference over here that would be about the strongest possible negative reference you could give.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

if you gave a dates only response to a request for a reference over here that would be about the strongest possible negative reference you could give.

yeah, this

it's a thing for sure, but the whole point of references is that you can find 3 people you worked for/with that arent going to do that

if you can't, then you've failed the reference check

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011

Bloody posted:

haha lol I'm 1000% second guessing myself now god I hate this

Take the money, run. You can work on your hobby companies later when you have 20 ulcers but 5 figures on your bank account.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bloody posted:

haha lol I'm 1000% second guessing myself now god I hate this

I'm assuming that means you wish you had gone with Amazon but didn't? What was it about the offer you accepted that made you accept it?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Piano Maniac posted:

Take the money, run. You can work on your hobby companies later when you have 20 ulcers but 5 figures on your bank account.

I'm doin this today

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I'm doin this today

I'm doin it Right now my dude, waiting on the new employee presentation on my first day :woop:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ADINSX posted:

I'm assuming that means you wish you had gone with Amazon but didn't? What was it about the offer you accepted that made you accept it?

its amazon vs a 100% remote software company. fat stacks of money and a lovely commute vs real good work-life balance. amazon's offer is like 1.7x the remote offer. i haven't yet actually declined amazon, i've just sent a "yeah lets do it" email to the remote place. i am excited to get cold feet later today, back out of the accepted offer, and run back into jeff's willing embrace

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

its amazon vs a 100% remote software company. fat stacks of money and a lovely commute vs real good work-life balance. amazon's offer is like 1.7x the remote offer. i haven't yet actually declined amazon, i've just sent a "yeah lets do it" email to the remote place. i am excited to get cold feet later today, back out of the accepted offer, and run back into jeff's willing embrace

I mean i'm taking the money today, but in my case it's still remote and I won't hate my life (probably)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

there's no wrong choices if youre makin figgies and happy

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Are you sure your work life balance is even going to suck, beyond "lol Amazon"? It's a big company, different teams have completely different cultures.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Did you ask for more money from the remote company at least

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qhat posted:

Are you sure your work life balance is even going to suck, beyond "lol Amazon"? It's a big company, different teams have completely different cultures.

not beyond "lol amazon". inside scoop is that the hiring manager is one of the Good Ones, which is part of why im in such a existential position. also, i already work at a bezos company where an outside perspective would suggest work-life balance is probably not great and i average 45 hours/week so like even on a team thats doing more im apparently willing to set those boundaries for myself and not kill myself too hard?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Did you ask for more money from the remote company at least

yes and got a bit more but the gap is still cavernous

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What are your long term goals? Find fun tech to work on or retire ASAP?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

to buy a 40-50 foot sailboat and take to the seas

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Then definitely take the figgies if you have boat dreams

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh god some recruiters are still doing the "teehee the rate depends on experience" thing which is literally illegal now. plus since I get spammed with like 5 hits for the same contract gigs I already know what the client is paying [the highest rate you get quoted +35%] so I don't need this bullshit

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Bloody posted:

not beyond "lol amazon". inside scoop is that the hiring manager is one of the Good Ones, which is part of why im in such a existential position. also, i already work at a bezos company where an outside perspective would suggest work-life balance is probably not great and i average 45 hours/week so like even on a team thats doing more im apparently willing to set those boundaries for myself and not kill myself too hard?

Disclaimer: I work for a boring non-tech company, so my advice may not be worth much. I also have been in high-pressure roles with on-call expectation and long hours.

Seriously, don't discount the effect of bad work/life balance and long commute on you. I'm 100% remote and while the job's not perfect, waking up and just walking downstairs, being able to run errands mid-day, etc. is such a load off. I used to live in Seattle and have several friends that are/were SDMs, SDEs and TPMs at Amazon. Universally, they're unhappy in their jobs. The commute to SLU blows, the benefits are crap and the RSU vesting schedule is garbage. I know their signing bonuses are large, but money really isn't everything (beyond a certain amount).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I got the hiring manager screen for a sr. Software development manager role at amazon (L7) tomorrow. Given the figgies involved I’m freaking a bit that messing up will be a serious detriment. What can I do to prepare? I looked at every question asked on Glassdoor and have a few broad projects to address them. I read the book linked earlier when I asked. I’ve spent the last few days watching g webinars on the product. But I still feel unprepared. EHLP

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

One way to make the bad commute more tolerable is to buy a nice new German car to go with the figgies you will earning.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PokeJoe posted:

Then definitely take the figgies if you have boat dreams

there's never enough figgies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

One way to make the bad commute more tolerable is to buy a nice new German car to go with the figgies you will earning.

this but getting on the train

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

This also but still buy the car anyway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah, this

it's a thing for sure, but the whole point of references is that you can find 3 people you worked for/with that arent going to do that

if you can't, then you've failed the reference check

what, so they can be fired for violating policy? or do you only want out of date references?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Captain Foo posted:

qhat posted:

This also but still buy the car anyway

buy a german train

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

buy a german train
The next level of tech worker Nazism.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

what, so they can be fired for violating policy? or do you only want out of date references?

I think you're wildly overestimating how prevalent that policy is, how seriously people take it, and how hard it is to find some people youve worked with that are happy to say "this person rules you would be lucky to hire them"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i have literally never seen printed policy nor been instructed by anyone at a workplace on how to respond to a request for a reference

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i have literally never seen printed policy nor been instructed by anyone at a workplace on how to respond to a request for a reference

most of my jobs "employee handbooks" have explicitly instructed me not to give a reference if asked, and send the request to hr

it's a thing

are you sure you know what is in all 300 odd pages of your employee handbook?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
one weird tip to having a great commute into SLU: take public transit

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FamDav posted:

Doesn't that involve just walking for the last mile?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FamDav posted:

lol seattle public transit

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

most of my jobs "employee handbooks" have explicitly instructed me not to give a reference if asked, and send the request to hr

it's a thing

are you sure you know what is in all 300 odd pages of your employee handbook?

Same. My job at big finance corp in London was very vocally clear about this. I just checked the policy at my current job, they explicitly allow giving references for former employees as long as it's truthful and made in "good faith".

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 1, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean, i certainly believe it is a thing that exists, it's just not a universal constant.

but then i also have not worked for an organization larger than 1000 employees.

as for handbooks, my employee handbook is only 45 pages long, and i have actually read through the whole thing. it's a bit shorter than when i used to work for a school district, but much longer than the laughable ~10 pages at my last job.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
poo poo. I don't have any references.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I think you're wildly overestimating how prevalent that policy is, how seriously people take it, and how hard it is to find some people youve worked with that are happy to say "this person rules you would be lucky to hire them"

they asked specific pointed questions about projects. if he was interviewing at a competitor and the reference was still at the current job it’s a terrible idea for the reference to actually answer anything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d always heard that when you give references you’re only supposed answer vague stuff like “would you hire this person again?”

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i threw a resume out in the wind for a position in LA. They want to fly me out after a very informal high level phone interview. I'm from NJ my wife works in NYC and just got a promotion.

This is going to be the most Curb Your Enthusiasm theme rear end moment in my life if I get an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the job should understand if you eventually turn them down with “i didn’t like la”