Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you're really having trouble, the slave start is the best way to go in the beginning. You'll be constantly malnourished, but you'll never starve either, and the stat penalties from the hunger means you develop your skills faster. Just try to escape every chance you get, attempt to knock every guard out, and fight indoors when you inevitably fail at either of the former. By the time you exit the slave camp having knocked out and fought every guard in the place, you'll be a swole badass wasteland kungfu man. If you like, you can install that one mod that makes it so labour trans strength, but that's more of a time-saving measure than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I or someone should do a writeup and get Dorkopotamis to edit the 1st post.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

thanks for the replies all.

i've only played 2 hours so far, but this is definitely my kind of game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

megalodong posted:

thanks for the replies all.

i've only played 2 hours so far, but this is definitely my kind of game.
Look at your stats, mouseover any item. It will tell you how to level that.
Want to be a badass polearm dude? Use that polearm.
The more you hit with it the higher your stat and therefore the more damage you'll do.
Want to wear heavier armor? Carry around heavy stuff until your encumbrance goes to 0, which raises your strength. Rinse repeat.
Your toughness goes up easy, just get your rear end beat. The more damage you take the more damage you can take.
Get arrested or enslaved? Don't reload, by the time you can escape you will be one badass mofo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does having 80%+ encumbrance level strength faster than say 30%?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The single most important thing is to find a recruit or two to add to your squad. That way you can have someone hide or run from any fight to come back later and heal your downed team members when you inevitably lose. Repeat a bunch of times and eventually you will start to win the easy fights, and then it's just a matter of slowly moving up the pecking order.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vakal posted:

If you mouseover Strength it tells you how quickly your current load will train Strength.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Carrying a body will also raise strength better than just piling on the 30kg it weighs usually does.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shopkeeper backpacks weigh 100kg even before you put stuff in them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a mod to let me put an iron refinery indoors? i have enough space for one, my guys are living in a stationhouse in a town, but it won't let you build a refinery indoors.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there a mod to let me put an iron refinery indoors? i have enough space for one, my guys are living in a stationhouse in a town, but it won't let you build a refinery indoors.

I havent tried it so have no opinion how it works.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765997358

Though I think having an iron/copper/stone mine indoors is a little silly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

OgNar posted:

I havent tried it so have no opinion how it works.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765997358
I've used that one. It's functional, but too expensive for what it does, in my opinion. That's easily corrected with the construction set, though.

OgNar posted:

Though I think having an iron/copper/stone mine indoors is a little silly.
Silly yes, but also really, really useful if you want to have some sort of production line inside a city without the additional hassle of building and defending an independent outpost.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those of you who're interested, the guy who did the lore writeup of the First Empire on Reddit has compiled another one for the Second Empire.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vakal posted:

Yes, it scales with encumbrance, up to 75% max. And as stated above, carrying around a buddy or a corpse levels it faster.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
First thing I do in this game is find the nearest bandit the guards have pasted and carry him around forever on my shoulders while i explore. SWOLE RIDE *bad humming* TAKE IT EASY...

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cardiovorax posted:

Silly yes, but also really, really useful if you want to have some sort of production line inside a city without the additional hassle of building and defending an independent outpost.

I'm pretty sure that's the intention, to get you to build your own outpost rather than exploiting NPCs for security and evading outpost events like the taxman. :colbert:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah I think the intention is that if you want the safety of living in a guarded city then you've got to pay the tax of having to buy your resources like iron plates/building resources/whatever at a store rather than being able to make your own for (nearly) free.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

dogstile posted:

First thing I do in this game is find the nearest bandit the guards have pasted and carry him around forever on my shoulders while i explore. SWOLE RIDE *bad humming* TAKE IT EASY...
Same but beak things.

Takes the temptation out of using a person as a backpack and then the corpse disappears during garbage collection taking your stuff with it. Also you drag them by their neck, it's really silly.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I started a game with the "man and his dog" setup and as I walked out of the ruins the game spawned me in, I prompty bumped into a samurai patrol. The patrol leader was kind enough to bitch at me for being poor so like any decent citizen, I told him to get hosed.

Just like cops irl, the patrol then beat me dead.

These are now adventures of Bonedog the hungry

what the gently caress am I even gonna do :ughh:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Fewd posted:

These are now adventures of Bonedog the hungry

what the gently caress am I even gonna do :ughh:

Run around cities until you meet a hiver named Beep.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Can't you just eat the corpse. I've never been down to just a dog.

Vakal posted:

Its the same problem with the one recruit who is mute. Without speech you can't hire anyone.

Also, Beak-Chan

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vakal posted:

You still have to speak to him don't you? Doesn't work if you do.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Nope, can't eat a corpse. And since I can't recruit anyone without a useful human skill, speech, I don't see any option except to lick my balls until I die.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah just restart. Man with a dog start is a trap anyway, shoves you in an area you're basically going to be killed for existing in.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Free slaves until one joins you?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Trying to flesh out a basic first post for answers if anyone has any suggestions. I will add mods into it also.

This video by Sseth sold me on the game. It really is a good rundown of things that happen in game.
Here is a real basic tutorial on YouTube.(not mine)

There is no "Way" to play Kenshi.
I think of it like many open world games where instead of turning right and doing the main quest, you turned left and did everything else.
There are many factions in the game and chances are you will align yourself with one or two and piss off most of the others. Whether through your own actions or just plain being you. Kenshi has a lot of racist factions who will hate you for your race and/or gender.
And its your job to teach them different.
By beating their asses with pointy sticks.

Things to do
When you start out your stats will be the lowest in the land, ranging from 0-1.
You can change that by picking up a weapon and attacking some bad guys.
You can start running everywhere and become a drug runner, The swampers make some great hashish which sells pretty good in some cities.
There are a ton of guys out there with bounties on their heads, though you may have to cart them some distance to a police station for the good money. Remember, if you cause trouble with a faction they will put a bounty on your head and people will notice you and attack for those sweet cats(credits)
Or start sneaking and make money the dirty way.
Safest thing to do is pick an ore node and start mining. Build up enough cats to payoff peoples debts and have them join your team. Most bars in most towns have guys just hanging about with debts to be paid.

Look at your stats, mouseover any item. It will tell you how to level that.
Want to be a badass polearm dude? Use that polearm.
The more you hit with it the higher your stat and therefore the more damage you'll do.
Want to wear heavier armor? Carry around heavy stuff until your encumbrance goes to 0, which raises your strength. Rinse repeat.
Your toughness goes up easy, just get your rear end beat. The more damage you take the tougher you will be.
Lose a limb? Buy or steal a new one. It'll probably be better than your old one. Your options actually has a dropdown to choose losing them more often.
Get arrested or enslaved? Don't reload, by the time you can escape you will be one badass mofo.
That tutorial video I posted is good but it suggests save scumming. I don't think this is really a game for that. Since dealing with the consequences of your actions only ends up making your character better.

You will scavenge weapons and armor from your downed enemies but most of it isn't very good and it comes with consequences because it turns into a disguise. Which can be good or bad. You can partially wear some items without it being a disguise. You wear Holy Nation armor as a Skeleton and they will beat you down, but wear it as a human and you might possibly slip by. Your chances are listed in your inventory panel.
You can also find good armor and weapons at ancient abandoned outpost, but ore than likely you wont get there until you have decent stuff already.
Your best stuff comes from crafting. First you research at a bench using books you buy from many general vendors and higher tier stuff can be researched using books and items found at the ancient outposts.
Most recipes can be bought or acquired from vendors around the land.
And of course the more stuff you create the better your crafter is and the higher chance they have of crafting a higher tier item.

As with any game its always a good idea to play a game at least once before modding.
The workshop has a ton of mods that make the game better or more fleshed out.
Plus a few Goon mods.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 1, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

isndl posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the intention, to get you to build your own outpost rather than exploiting NPCs for security and evading outpost events like the taxman. :colbert:
If I'm already paying 64,000 cats for a reasonably sized townhouse, I'd like it to actually be good for something.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Lore, this is very spoilery if you dont want to find things out yourself.

reddit links
First Empire
Second Empire

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Came across some bandits, got stuck in. As we were finishing them, some different bandits arrived. We were on the verge of beating THEM, when a THIRD faction of bandits showed up, and boy did things turn into a real shitshow then. We lost Knees and Orek and also my first character's leg. They steadfastly refused to gently caress off after we were all downed so it was a long battle of trying to heal up the most injured whenever someone regained consciousness. Finally night fell, and I was able to sneak around doing some healing and carrying people. The next morning enough people were healed up that we could carry the rest back to Squin, which was aided when some slavers showed up and started fighting with the bandits.

What an amazing game :allears:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm partial to the 'grab a 2nd guy and then just follow a well armed patrol around and try to join in once enemies are softened up a bit' start

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Ms Adequate posted:

Came across some bandits, got stuck in. As we were finishing them, some different bandits arrived. We were on the verge of beating THEM, when a THIRD faction of bandits showed up, and boy did things turn into a real shitshow then. We lost Knees and Orek and also my first character's leg. They steadfastly refused to gently caress off after we were all downed so it was a long battle of trying to heal up the most injured whenever someone regained consciousness. Finally night fell, and I was able to sneak around doing some healing and carrying people. The next morning enough people were healed up that we could carry the rest back to Squin, which was aided when some slavers showed up and started fighting with the bandits.

What an amazing game :allears:

This happened to me in the swamps except it went swamp ninjas then blood spiders then slavers and the slavers carried off three of my downed dudes. The rest of my squad limped back to our dojo in squin while I kept an eye on my enslaved homies. They regained consciousness near Shark and I was able to engineer their escape fairly easily. They had to bum around in the dancing skeleton for a week before I could reunite with them. Recruiting Hamut at the same time was pretty sweet.

I got the mod that lets you "tame" animals and my goal today is going to be to capture some of those swamp turtles. This time we are going to wipe out every fucker who looks at us funny

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'm 90 hours into my first playthrough and I'm just amazed at the size of the world. Granted I've spent a lot of time building up a couple different bases and getting my crafters up to near max level but I still haven't even touched half the map. Never gone into the foglands, obedience or anything else up northwest past the floodlands. Never been to the ashlands, far southeast and southwest. Just now got over to Black Desert City for the first time because I picked up my first skeleton recruit in the floodlands and now I want more of them. I still have so much left to see, even in the places I've been! I don't even have any hivers yet. Maybe next I'll head over to Mongrel to get some belt lights for my farmers and recruit Beep since I keep hearing about him. It's hard to make up my mind where to go when there's so much out there, I just end up running off to go look at an interesting thing in the distance and then suddenly it's two hours later, my inventory is full and half my squad is carrying the other half as we flee from angry cannibals.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've been playing this game for months and I haven't been everywhere yet. The world is some literal 900 square kilometers in size, or something of that magnitude.

Game is big.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That 2nd empire post is a lot less grounded in the lore than the first big post. It's clear the guy who wrote that has never played through the ashlands

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Does skill training take stat reductions into account? As in, something like a wooden backpack that gives -5 to melee skills, am I training as though I'm 5 levels lower now so that I can get levels off someone less skilled than me? Or does it always go off the base skill? I'm hoping I can basically cripple my guys to get some extra skill points because training past 60+ is a real drag.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gadzuko posted:

Does skill training take stat reductions into account? As in, something like a wooden backpack that gives -5 to melee skills, am I training as though I'm 5 levels lower now so that I can get levels off someone less skilled than me? Or does it always go off the base skill? I'm hoping I can basically cripple my guys to get some extra skill points because training past 60+ is a real drag.
Its by effective level so cripple away.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've built a crappy little house south of Hub/east of Squin down in that river valley, and it's going well but boy howdy to a lot of douchebags show up to try and mess with you. At least the Okranites will happily just pray with you, even if you send a woman without a copy of the book out to meet them (because everyone else was either a shek or out cold lol).

Fortunately my dudes are now getting good enough to fend off the average bandit attack, even if we still come out of it with abundant injuries.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think a crossbow and a pair of sandals is the best early game investment you can make. A shoddy Mk2 Oldworld bow or Eagle's Cross (if you start in a gnarly area that sells that kind of ordinance) will hit for 60-100 damage, and most things don't wear significant armor.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ms Adequate posted:

Fortunately my dudes are now getting good enough to fend off the average bandit attack, even if we still come out of it with abundant injuries.

I made my base in the Northwestern-most corner of the map and I lucked out, the Bone Raider caravan they sent to get me got stuck on geometry and so I never ever got raided in my 50+ days of being there. However, I do think base raids are a good way to train up your team and have a pretty surefire means of getting them to safety. At one point I made two farm plots that I never harvested to keep an infinite number of River Raptors coming into my base so all my guys could slaughter them and harvest their leather and foul meet to feed my animals. I'm trying to think of other low-level enemies who would make for good raid opponents, and honestly I'm thinking cannibals? They come in numbers but their stats and gear are so bad that they make for really good sparring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

RE: on the subject of music in Kenshi

I've grown a liking for all sorts of dark ambient when playing Kenshi. Cryo Chamber in Bandcamp has some extremely my poo poo stuff for this purpose. The music just nails it down completely when you're walking around a broken world getting whipped by baka things. Some good ones to mention are stuff like Book of the Black Earth and nearly anything from Ugasanie (at least the ones released under Cryo Chamber), like White Silence and Border of Worlds