Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

PantsOptional posted:

That’s the same as the current kit.

I dunno, man, these look like two different styles of skull helmet to me. Could just be artistic license, of course.

PantsOptional posted:

You keep grasping at straws all over the place and over-thinking everything.

That's correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Wrapped up a Tech-Priest Manipulus for my Adeptus Mechanicus kill team, Zeta-2 Reticulus.

With that paint scheme, more like Zeta-2 Meticulous.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Stephenls posted:

I dunno, man, these look like two different styles of skull helmet to me. Could just be artistic license, of course.

Those were good catches on all points. GW did update the art for berserkers. New helmet, with major changes to the face mask, new back pack, new shoulder pads. None of that is from the current kit. The 40k thread peanut gallery just has to grog out once a week.

Whether the art is taken from concept art for new berserkers in the works, or just the codex team getting eager, only GW insiders know. The current beserker kit looks dated next to the new generic Chaos Space Marines, and when it is replaced we'll probably get something that looks very much like the art from the updated codex.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

Wrapped up a Tech-Priest Manipulus for my Adeptus Mechanicus kill team, Zeta-2 Reticulus.

MORE LIKE ZETA-2 RIDICULOUS, AMMIRITE?

:dadjoke:

Seriously though, that looks great. Purple is an under-used color (which is strange since purple is so linked with empire historically?). Nice job picking out the 3.5" floppy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adeptus Fatacus

Xenomrph posted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TKIY posted:

With that paint scheme, more like Zeta-2 Meticulous.

Schadenboner posted:

MORE LIKE ZETA-2 RIDICULOUS, AMMIRITE?

:dadjoke:

Seriously though, that looks great. Purple is an under-used color (which is strange since purple is so linked with empire historically?). Nice job picking out the 3.5" floppy.
It's a sly Alien callback - the star system where LV-426 is located is Zeta-2 Reticuli. :v:

And yeah, I had to make the floppy disk as obvious as possible, it's too hilarious to not call attention to it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Does he have... arm hair?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
So I’ve got the old chaos terminator kit and a forge world death guard conversion kit laying around. A brief glance at battlescribe says I can only run them in a Death Guard detachment as either deathshroud or blight lord terminators, parts for the special weapons of which I don’t really have. What’s the best way to run these fellows using the old kit only?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Reynold posted:

So I’ve got the old chaos terminator kit and a forge world death guard conversion kit laying around. A brief glance at battlescribe says I can only run them in a Death Guard detachment as either deathshroud or blight lord terminators, parts for the special weapons of which I don’t really have. What’s the best way to run these fellows using the old kit only?

The Purge.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How do you all arm your Plagueburst Crawlers? I kind of want to magnetize all of the secondaries but I dunno how useful the Entropy Cannons will ever be.

I might just go Rothail and Plaguespitters and just "counts as" the hull gun to a stubber if I want it (the Rothail cannon looks so cool.)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Inspector_666 posted:

How do you all arm your Plagueburst Crawlers? I kind of want to magnetize all of the secondaries but I dunno how useful the Entropy Cannons will ever be.

I might just go Rothail and Plaguespitters and just "counts as" the hull gun to a stubber if I want it (the Rothail cannon looks so cool.)

I’m of the opinion that units that are big risks for completely losing their shooting turns if charged and lose accuracy if moving should hang back. I’m in the minority but I like entropy cannons. I’ve had tons of fights where people advance their tanks up to my line, kill a few dudes and then get charged and never fire again for the rest of the battle. Sure, they’re tough and hurt to assault, but I don’t care how many wounds it has left if it’s surrounded by chaff and can’t leave.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

I’m of the opinion that units that are big risks for completely losing their shooting turns if charged and lose accuracy if moving should hang back. I’m in the minority but I like entropy cannons. I’ve had tons of fights where people advance their tanks up to my line, kill a few dudes and then get charged and never fire again for the rest of the battle. Sure, they’re tough and hurt to assault, but I don’t care how many wounds it has left if it’s surrounded by chaff and can’t leave.

2nd this, when I was running Deathguard I would sit my plaguebursts in my backline and baby sit them with a cheap chaos lord for the rerolls to hit, not only does he buff them but he can counter charge anything trying to tie them up.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Inspector_666 posted:

Entropy cannons are cheaper in CA18 and valid, but different.
Don't move it (or if you do, use blasphemous machines) and have a cheap chaos lord you probably took for command points anyway. If you're doing deathguard you should really consider a thousand sons hq support detachment for a... thousand reasons. One which is buffing the entropy crawler to hit plus 1 (which, with that chaos lord nearby, is hitting on 3s rerolling 1s for the mortar, stubbers and cannons - which shreds).
Also, with thousand sons you can throw 2 strength on a flamethrower crawler and warptime him up the field for a strength 9 marine devourer. Throw him right in front of your opponent and basically dare him to kill it, then blow him and deal 1d3 mortal wounds to almost his entire castled force if you land in the right place and they gently caress up, panic and decide to shoot you instead of tie you up with a melee unit.

I love pbc because there's so much you can do with them - people I reg play against still get caught off guard.

Edit:
Kamikaze tank in action:

I need to take my entropy cannons off my spitter guys... loving plastic glue.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 1, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I'm rounding out an AdMech kill team using their kill team box as a starting point, what's a good idea for filling out the rest of the team? I built the box set as 3 Infiltrators, 1 Ruststalker, and1 Ruststalker Princeps, and I'm guessing that rounding the team out with Skitarii Rangers/Vanguard are a good call but I have no idea which I should use or what I should kit them out with. I've got a 10-man sprue of Skitarii from the Forgebane box so I'm pretty sure I can do whatever.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Looks like there's a nice variety of lists for 40k at the top of Adepticon 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Maneck posted:

That rules and is good. Happy to see GSC and Orkz up there.

Are those results from adepticon on the adepticon website or an app or something?

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

Played in the long war doubles and the team tournament at adepticon with a 50% goon team this weekend. 8 games over 3 days made for a slog but all my games save one were awesome. It seemed like almost every game was against orks and it feels like I killed a thousand of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

kommisar posted:

Played in the long war doubles and the team tournament at adepticon with a 50% goon team this weekend. 8 games over 3 days made for a slog but all my games save one were awesome. It seemed like almost every game was against orks and it feels like I killed a thousand of them.

Which boys are yours? Looks like a good tournament!

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

JBP posted:

Which boys are yours? Looks like a good tournament!

I played the guard in the team tournament but the custodes were painted by me too. Same with the guard/assassins and eldar/harlequins in the doubles. Most of which I painted in the last week :suicide:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That rules and is good. Happy to see GSC and Orkz up there.

Are those results from adepticon on the adepticon website or an app or something?

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/03/40k-adepticon-2019-the-championship-lists.html

Looks like jackals are really good after all. That wombo demolition charge combo with them is powerful.

remaining results here:

https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/r/46mrvma4?started=true&embed=false

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does Adepticon do anything that's different from the other GTs? I recall reading that they're kind of special somehow.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Maneck posted:

Looks like nothing outside that one Tempestus list that could even take Castellans.

I really hope GW will still do something about them. They're pretty oppressive and grossly undercosted.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So... was GW pushing the Crimson Slaughter as the company mascots for the Chaos Space Marines faction for like two editions?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stephenls posted:

So... was GW pushing the Crimson Slaughter as the company mascots for the Chaos Space Marines faction for like two editions?

It’s more like “GW wouldn’t ever let the Word Bears have anything nice”?

:shrug:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Schadenboner posted:

It’s more like “GW wouldn’t ever let the Word Bears have anything nice”?

:shrug:

I mean... I guess I understand wanting to promote the idea of original warbands and renegade chapters instead of just using the original Legions all the time.

Sixth Edition predated the Horus Heresy being its own game and endless novel series, right?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Stephenls posted:

Sixth Edition predated the Horus Heresy being its own game and endless novel series, right?

The Horus Heresy novels pre-dated 5th edition. The game/"expansion" came out 4 months into 6th edition.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Stephenls posted:

Their Codex / Supplement was really good from a fluff point of view and worth picking up. They were one of the most fleshed out chaos factions (outside of BL books) because of it. There was also some interesting things in there - an early attempt to make Possessed less poo poo (several editions later and they’re still somewhat struggling with this concept). Their models are also very cool, and I liked their enmity with the Dark Angels, in part because of the clear hypocrisy of the Dark Angels’s dealings with the Crimson Slaughter before they went renegade. The Helbrute from the starter set is also the leader’s brother, entombed there after he turned on Kranon which I thought was neat.

The models from Dark Vengeance are very, very cool, and worth picking up. I know they’re monopose, but I do dig their style compared to the most recent kits. I’ve always preferred the more out there elements of Chaos, and I just find it odd that the current kit seems to show fairly non-corrupted Marines. There is nothing wrong with the sculpts (they’re not power squatting) they’re just safe. Lord Discordant is amazing, and the Dark disciples are better models than the Dark Apostle, which is just odd. I think I tend to get excited by new stuff I’ve never seen before. Also the old Dark Apostle had better composition. It was just in finecast that did it in.

I do agree I was surprised it’s only the Lord Discordant this week. Either it’s four weeks of Chaos releases (even with brand new armies GW will typically wrap up by week 3 and have something else tacked on the end), or the remainder will come later in the year.

But when I thought about it a bit more they could be padding out stuff due to Brexit uncertainty.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

kommisar posted:

I played the guard in the team tournament but the custodes were painted by me too. Same with the guard/assassins and eldar/harlequins in the doubles. Most of which I painted in the last week :suicide:

:drat:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Xenomrph posted:

So if I'm rounding out an AdMech kill team using their kill team box as a starting point, what's a good idea for filling out the rest of the team? I built the box set as 3 Infiltrators, 1 Ruststalker, and1 Ruststalker Princeps, and I'm guessing that rounding the team out with Skitarii Rangers/Vanguard are a good call but I have no idea which I should use or what I should kit them out with. I've got a 10-man sprue of Skitarii from the Forgebane box so I'm pretty sure I can do whatever.

Lame answer, but it really depends on who you’re playing against, and what the battlefield looks like re: terrain. Open terrain and/or a tower with a view? Perfect for a transuranic arquebus + omnispex combo, sprinkled with rangers wielding arc- or galvanic rifles. Tight quarters? More sicarians and/or vanguards. If you’re up against orks, go for weapons with higher strength; space marines need weapons with -AP.

If you’re anything like me, who has less sense than money, you might want to buy an extra box of sicarians and skitarii, so that you can build most of the options in twos.

E: for example, here’re the models I’ve assembled for Kill Team:

1 infiltrator princeps w/taser goad
1 ruststalker princeps w/chordclaw and blades
2 regular ruststalkers w/ chordclaws and razors
2 regular infiltrators w/ taser goads
2 regular infiltrators w/ power swords
(Incidentally, the two princeps, ruststalkers and power sword infiltrators are 90 pts; slap on a skitarii alpha as leader, and you’ve got a CQC team)
3 rangers w/ arc rifles
3 vanguards w/ plasma calivers
1 ranger w/ transuranic arquebus
1 ranger w/ omnispex (doubles as enhanced data tether)
1 vanguard w/ enhanced data tether (doubles as omnispex)
1 ranger alpha w/ galvanic rifle
1 vanguard alpha w/ taser goad and arc pistol

...and then there’s my regular 40K army which supplies all the regular skitarii.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 1, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Maneck posted:

Quite surprised to see Hybrid Metamorphs in that GSC list, I thought they were considered strictly inferior to Acolytes. That unit does a respectable 56 WS2+ attacks that I expect is pretty good at clearing screens. Did anyone see how that unit was used in the tournament?

Edit: I'm planning on running Twisted Helix anyway & I own 10 Metamorphs. With Might From Beyond that unit is putting out 66 attacks at S6...

xtothez fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 1, 2019

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

xtothez posted:

Quite surprised to see Hybrid Metamorphs in that GSC list, I thought they were considered strictly inferior to Acolytes. That unit does a respectable 56 WS2+ attacks that I expect is pretty good at clearing screens. Did anyone see how that unit was used in the tournament?

Edit: I'm planning on running Twisted Helix anyway & I own 10 Metamorphs. With Might From Beyond that unit is putting out 66 attacks at S6...

People have been talking about metamorphs being real good, and it looks like it. That's certainly pretty scary and for 120 points. Also his list has lotsa rock saws. Sadly no aberrants, I haven't experimented enough with them, but I really, really want to like them, and have 20 models, they're just so fragile for the price.

Overall the adepticon list is pretty similar to the favorite list I ended up with. Also a brigade and battalion, but no metamorphs and fewer jackals, fewer rock saws, in favor of aberrants and more shooty neophytes instead of brood brothers. I also extremely think that pauper princes is better than both twisted helix and four armed emperor, except for agents of vect.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

So like, non-DG chaos war band bros with a Mark of Nurgle is the only real option for that? That kind of sucks.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Reynold posted:

So like, non-DG chaos war band bros with a Mark of Nurgle is the only real option for that? That kind of sucks.

Death Guard doesn’t offer standard Terminators as an option, same as the Thousand Sons. What is it you want out of the kit? If you want to field them as Blightlords, you could model the proper weapons and play them as such. So long as your models are WYSIWYG I don’t think most people wouldn’t mind and you could hand-wave it as a unit Nurgle has blessed with appearing “normal” to the detriment of those around them similar to the blurb in the DG codex about a guard regiment.

If you want to field them as Terminators, field a CSM detachment. There’s a number of spells and abilities that aren’t available to DG that you might want anyway and “new” standard CSM are pretty decent.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

If you read the Goonhammer review, One_Wing pointed out that Metamorphs have a specific use case for murdering Ork hordes. That seems to have been their application here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/01/introducing-the-iserv-pro/

I love how they went all out with this. :allears:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Xenomrph posted:

I like your liquid effects in the various vials and beakers.

That also has to be the gooniest tech priest sculpt that they could ever come up with. I like it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Killer_Bees! posted:

2nd this, when I was running Deathguard I would sit my plaguebursts in my backline and baby sit them with a cheap chaos lord for the rerolls to hit, not only does he buff them but he can counter charge anything trying to tie them up.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Entropy cannons are cheaper in CA18 and valid, but different.
Don't move it (or if you do, use blasphemous machines) and have a cheap chaos lord you probably took for command points anyway. If you're doing deathguard you should really consider a thousand sons hq support detachment for a... thousand reasons. One which is buffing the entropy crawler to hit plus 1 (which, with that chaos lord nearby, is hitting on 3s rerolling 1s for the mortar, stubbers and cannons - which shreds).
Also, with thousand sons you can throw 2 strength on a flamethrower crawler and warptime him up the field for a strength 9 marine devourer. Throw him right in front of your opponent and basically dare him to kill it, then blow him and deal 1d3 mortal wounds to almost his entire castled force if you land in the right place and they gently caress up, panic and decide to shoot you instead of tie you up with a melee unit.

I love pbc because there's so much you can do with them - people I reg play against still get caught off guard.

I guess I should get a Chaos Lord then, eh? Maybe I'll just use the Champion from the DI box, looks like GW doesn't have a generic non-Terminator model available anymore?

Xenomrph posted:

Plasma Calivers! Max out the Vanguard Gunner slots then go to Rangers if you still have points available. If you get a charge off with one of the Sicarians try to get a Vanguard in there too, -1 toughness for whoever you're fighting is pretty dang good.

Also consider a Ranger Alpha with the stock gear for your leader, you generally don't want them in the line of fire.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 1, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Inspector_666 posted:

I guess I should get a Chaos Lord then, eh?

Another option is a wingless daemon with arch contaminator from the codex (the one with heretic astartes spells) if you're running other long ranged plague weapons (like the mortar). He also does reroll ones, can cast prescience himself and is harder to kill. It's kind of expensive and a bit of a waste, but I've done it with people that like to spam character snipers like those horrible admech rifles. Makes it so you don't lose a pivotal character or God forbid your warlord due to them having a couple good roles and you having a couple bad saves...

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 1, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprisedd bilbo baggins doesn't play Sigmar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Another option is a wingless daemon with arch contaminator from the codex (the one with heretic astartes spells) if you're running other long ranged plague weapons (like the mortar). He also does reroll ones, can cast prescience himself and is harder to kill. It's kind of expensive and a bit of a waste, but I've done it with people that like to spam character snipers like those horrible admech rifles. Makes it so you don't lose a pivotal character or God forbid your warlord due to them having a couple good roles and you having a couple bad saves...

I'm currently building out my DG for a slow grow and while I'm eyeing a daemon prince for down the line (I still need to figure out what model I want to use, I don't much care for the official Nurgle one) right now my 750 point list is looking like:

Lord of Contagion
Malignant Plaguecaster

2x Plague Marine squads
1x Poxwalker unit of 12

Blight Hauler

Plagueburst Crawler

I'm kind of just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks and how I want to build the "final" force out. The LoC wrecked house in the 450 point tournament, but I can see why he's not worth the 40 points over just a normal Lord, especially if he's gonna hang out at the backline. Right now the plan is to give the LoC Supperating Plate and make the Plaguecaster my warlord with Miasma of Pestilence and Putrescent Vitality along with Arch-Contaminator and kind of treat him like a mini-Typhus with the Poxwalkers.

Also re: Thousand Sons, I think they're cool as hell and was kind of picking between them and DG to begin with, but combining those forces is very un-narrative in a way that bugs me a little. I'm not tremendously worried about being "competitive" at any point, but I guess I'm already pissing off Mortarian by including a Plaguecaster...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 1, 2019