Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Some version of Tetris, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Some version of Tetris, surely.

Yeah Tetris was literally the first thing I thought of as well.

Now the question is which version of Tetris is old, obscure and has a single player campaign...

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

makere posted:

Yeah Tetris was literally the first thing I thought of as well.

Now the question is which version of Tetris is old, obscure and has a single player campaign...

Mickey’s Magical Tetris Quest!

fmuldoone
Jul 28, 2017
Wouldn't be shocked if it's Gorby no Pipeline Daisakusen...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fmuldoone posted:

Wouldn't be shocked if it's Gorby no Pipeline Daisakusen...

That would be a great choice. Or Ganbare Gorby except that game has the problem of needing to capture Game Gear footage.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I haven't watched GCCX in like 6 years, is my man still hard at the grind

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I haven't watched GCCX in like 6 years, is my man still hard at the grind

We haven't had as many translations in recent years, but the original show is still going and I believe is still very popular.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You'd think Arino would be really good at games at this point

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been rewatching my way through the series over the past few months with someone that had never seen or even heard of it before, and it's interesting. Since I discovered GCCX, I'd watch the episodes as new subs were released, so this is the first time I've gone back to it chronologically.

He really does get better at games as time goes on. I don't know what your metric of "really good" is, but there's legit improvement.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TeaJay posted:

We haven't had as many translations in recent years, but the original show is still going and I believe is still very popular.

Righteous, the kacho will soon complete all the games. What's the backlog translation % look like? I wanna dive back in hard.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

What's the backlog translation % look like? I wanna dive back in hard.
Maybe focus on revisiting some of your old favorites for a while.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Righteous, the kacho will soon complete all the games. What's the backlog translation % look like? I wanna dive back in hard.

Last translated episodes by SA-GCCX were the Zelda II challenge (#209-210). Unfortunately the backlog for untranslated episodes is quite large, at least a couple full seasons worth of episodes long.

You can ease your pain by watching the excellent Yoiko Minecraft series 1 and 2 translated by another group which is great fun as well.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

TeaJay posted:

You can ease your pain by watching the excellent Yoiko Minecraft series 1 and 2 translated by another group which is great fun as well.

I’m watching series 1 and I am loving it. It is fun seeing them mess around until it finally clicks for them.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Last translated episodes by SA-GCCX were the Zelda II challenge (#209-210).

Um Jammer Lammy, actually.

Great episode, that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Adamant posted:

Um Jammer Lammy, actually.

Great episode, that.

Oh, that's right. I was going by the SA-GCCX website which shows the Z II special as the latest one.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Just gonna remind y'all that Project SAEGCSEX is still recruiting members.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Thats why I kinda stopped watching GCCX, because he did start to get better and the fact that the later episodes they had way too much preperation like a second console with the exact same progress in the game etc. It felt like he fails a lot less in the later series because of all the backup he gets.

A lot of the fun was them having to go super overtime, or have to go for another day etc and even just downright failing. Plus I missed all the stuff like random arcade visits, although I can understand that there are only so many arcade places they can go to.

I'm sure the show is still great to most people but for me I just didn't enjoy watching as much so I stopped watching.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Speaking of, kinda, I was wondering... what's the ETA on a new translated episode?

Please don't take this as a slight to the wonderful SA-GCCX team that's brought me countless hours of (free) entertainment with this. I appreciate the time, effort and work that's put into these fan translations a massive deal. I don't speak a lick of Japanese and without those translations I would never be able to watch the show.

You guys offer your free time for this and you don't owe me anything, but a little status update or something wouldn't hurt and maybe ease the antsy-ness a bit. Every time I check the thread and read about the hint for the next game in the episode that just aired or some other announcement of what he's gonna be playing soon, I get a little sad because even if I get the raw somehow, I won't understand anything and that's really half the fun at the very least. And trying to suss out when it might maybe be translated is, frankly, impossible. So all it does is make me sad that I can't watch/understand it. Stop teasing me with those posts! :v:

Either way, it always feels bad and pushy and demanding when someone asks "HEY WHERE ARE THOSE FREE THINGS YOU SACRIFICE YOUR TIME FOR AND I DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR?! GIVE THEM TO ME FASTER!". But everyone's thinking it, so I guess I'll be the one to bite the bullet and ask the ugly question and hope that it doesn't come of as entitled and rear end in a top hat-ish as I feel right now haha.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
A friend of mine linked me to a torrent of translated episodes for a similar variety show, called Tokyo Encounter, where a bunch of Japanese voice actors play video games and talk about each other. Maybe that would tide you over???

https://nyaa.si/view/835004

fmuldoone
Jul 28, 2017
Hekatonkeiru no Sentaku is another one worth checking out. Sort of a spinoff of Tokyo Encounter. It's only 8 episodes long and it's been fully subbed:

http://anokoe.tumblr.com/hekaton

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I didn't watch Tokyo Encounter yet but this part made me LOL quite a bit

https://twitter.com/zetsubouquet/status/954989114784395264?lang=en

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

abraxas posted:

status update question

All I can say is I just don't have the free time I had when I first started. On the plus (?) side, it's because my career has really taken off, and anything GCCX-related I do now is drawing official art for the show.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

zari-gani posted:

All I can say is I just don't have the free time I had when I first started. On the plus (?) side, it's because my career has really taken off, and anything GCCX-related I do now is drawing official art for the show.

While it is hard spot, viewed through the lens of my crippling gccx withdrawal, I think I can still recognize this as a very good outcome ;)

Hopefully other translators will crop up here and there, or I'll have to learn some Japanese.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I am long overdue to get my Japanese in a better place, if it were I feel I'd be able to do more, like I think I'm familiar enough with some of the show's mannerisms that I can accurately translate maybe 30-50% of a given episode (I've been watching more recent episodes unsubbed and having a fine time of it), but am definitely far from the level I'd need to be to really do a subtitling job justice or even simplify things for someone like zari-gani (I'd probably make too many mistakes to save any time for the parts I did understand).

I mostly need to unfuck just grammar structures, once a sentence gets going I get lost immediately. It's super-frustrating because I feel like if I were exposed to the exact right lessons my Japanese skills would double in like 2 weeks and from there I could trundle through actual Japanese media (manga, old video games etc.), and I'd totally do it if there was some way to zero in on those weak points in my Japanese ability. I may have some job changes in a few weeks, maybe I have to find a native-level Japanese speaker willing to put up with me via Skype or something in exchange for money and see what I can get going.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Negrostrike posted:

I didn't watch Tokyo Encounter yet but this part made me LOL quite a bit

https://twitter.com/zetsubouquet/status/954989114784395264?lang=en

:laffo:

They should have tagged three other VAs at the end. The Wakamoto Challenge.

https://youtu.be/8IHn7G9Wgs0

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zari-gani posted:

No need for a question mark, it's a big plus a net gain, and you deserve it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm also very happy for zari-gani but also unhappy that there is less subbed GCCX (mostly happy though).

I have been wondering that why there hasn't been a competing serious effort to sub the show, though. /vr had their few translated episodes, a group has translated the Minecraft specials and I believe one person has done something like Captain Tsubasa episodes (although I think those translations were deemed as a bit shoddy). Is the show too niche and/or hard to tackle for people not to start a translation effort?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it's hard-to-tackle. Being a largely-unscripted show makes some of the dialogue hard to suss out (and not helped by some of the really niche reference that are sometimes made off-the-cuff or people talking over each-other and recording issues making some things hard to hear) and has a ton of on-screen text, and is an hour-long show. You've got a ton more work to do on individual episodes than would be required even for a feature film, let alone something like a 22-minute anime episode which will likely get you a bigger fanbase for far less work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

And I'm in the last few weeks of an engineering degree. Life has been crazy in the previous few years.

TeaJay posted:

Is the show too niche and/or hard to tackle for people not to start a translation effort?

It's a fundamentally unscripted reality show diving heavily into broader Japanese culture with episodes three times as long as a typical broadcast show. It really is not a simple show to do and I think a few people have made attempts only to discover just how much work the show takes.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

real post, the trajectory your career has taken (as far as I can tell from your Twitter etc.) is absolutely bonkers and I am super happy for you. As I am writing this, I'm looking at the GCCX movie poster on my wall, the poster you shipped all the way to freaking Germany a few years ago, simply to do another nerd a favor. I had it framed and just the other day I looked at it and thought about how rad it is that you now basically work on the show.

Dunno where I was going with this. I guess I just wanted to tell you that I still appreciate the gesture immensely and considering the amount of free work you have put into this (of course this is not to say that I don't appreciate the work of the other members of SAGCCX), you more than deserve whatever recognition comes your way.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

univbee posted:

I am long overdue to get my Japanese in a better place, if it were I feel I'd be able to do more, like I think I'm familiar enough with some of the show's mannerisms that I can accurately translate maybe 30-50% of a given episode (I've been watching more recent episodes unsubbed and having a fine time of it), but am definitely far from the level I'd need to be to really do a subtitling job justice or even simplify things for someone like zari-gani (I'd probably make too many mistakes to save any time for the parts I did understand).

I mostly need to unfuck just grammar structures, once a sentence gets going I get lost immediately. It's super-frustrating because I feel like if I were exposed to the exact right lessons my Japanese skills would double in like 2 weeks and from there I could trundle through actual Japanese media (manga, old video games etc.), and I'd totally do it if there was some way to zero in on those weak points in my Japanese ability. I may have some job changes in a few weeks, maybe I have to find a native-level Japanese speaker willing to put up with me via Skype or something in exchange for money and see what I can get going.

I also picked up casual study of the language a few years back, partially inspired by GCCX actually, but I know translation work is a fair bit harder than just understanding the two languages and I can't claim I've the proficiency to do good enough a job either. But hey, maybe at this rate a second generation of goon translations will emerge from the shadows somewhere down the line. :v:

The show itself certainly seems determined not to reach its end anytime soon.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

univbee posted:

I think it's hard-to-tackle. Being a largely-unscripted show makes some of the dialogue hard to suss out (and not helped by some of the really niche reference that are sometimes made off-the-cuff or people talking over each-other and recording issues making some things hard to hear) and has a ton of on-screen text, and is an hour-long show. You've got a ton more work to do on individual episodes than would be required even for a feature film, let alone something like a 22-minute anime episode which will likely get you a bigger fanbase for far less work.
And I (the SAGCCX checker/editor) am being paid fairly and well for translating a minimum of one 22-minute simulcast anime episode every week through September at the earliest, which eats into my GCCX time and, frankly, puts it at a much lower priority.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I only maintain the website and even I'm feeling busy working full-time in Tokyo.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I am good with the translators and other people that have been doing this being busy and successful. You've done a ton of episodes already. Thanks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Beyond the obvious it depends heavily, something I'm curious about is how long does it take to do just the translation.

I'm guessing for a normal, non-quiz game episode, would the range of 25-30 hours be way too high or just right?

I know it depends on the number of references, the game being played, on screen text, and all that.

I'm just curious. I rarely hear about the nuts and bolts of translation.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Including taking breaks for meals and whatnot, it takes me a day to translate an average episode, so about 8-10 hours? That includes a lot of re-listening to lines and researching things like pop culture references and seeing how games were localized here, if Arino reads dialogue.

Something like a quiz show is probably double that, especially if wordplay riddles are involved and I have to think of good English solutions.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Including taking breaks for meals and whatnot, it takes me a day to translate an average episode, so about 8-10 hours? That includes a lot of re-listening to lines and researching things like pop culture references and seeing how games were localized here, if Arino reads dialogue.

Something like a quiz show is probably double that, especially if wordplay riddles are involved and I have to think of good English solutions.

That kind of localization has always been one of the strongest assets of SA translations. For a pun or an idiom there has always been a good english alternative. Even though the show talks a lot about japanese stuff, including entertainment industry, I feel it has always been easy to follow and pick up.

Although I feel like the Famicom could be the Famicom instead of the NES at this point if it's the japanese console being talked about, but that's such a minor thing and mainly my brain issue.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

TeaJay posted:

That kind of localization has always been one of the strongest assets of SA translations. For a pun or an idiom there has always been a good english alternative. Even though the show talks a lot about japanese stuff, including entertainment industry, I feel it has always been easy to follow and pick up.
So true. And further to this, I probably would not be as into GCCX, if this extra level of "translation" wasn't there. It's one thing to have the dialogue translated, but it's another thing when the dialogue is "localized" to the target region. The "localization" efforts of the SAGCCX team is what makes the translations of this show so entertaining.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

And it takes me about 15-20 hours of solid word for the timing and editing (the variation being mainly how much text in the episode has to be dealt with). If I have free time, I try to do it in two days with one day dedicated to getting all the audio together and another day dedicated to doing all the visual "effects" in the subtitles and cleaning up any problems before I hand it off.

Obviously that number goes way up with quiz and adventure game episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

it's amazing all the work that goes into us needing to watch the blue man play games bad :allears: