Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1112670677117685760?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Surprise T Rex posted:

But you can't just go on promising people things, everyone knows that improving society is a myth and that all of politics is a zero-sum game. You can't just mess with the control panel! If you move the 'giving a gently caress about people' slider up, who knows which sliders will move down!
From T. Blair, the king of Unintended Consequences (Iraq, surveillance, random bans, PFIs, tax credits, third party benefits assessors).

It's only the good things that you're not allowed to do for fear of unintended consequences, because reasons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1112679172693000195?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This didn't go unnoticed it was a deliberate strategy on Blair's part

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1112684076157333504?s=19

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Isn't this now both factions threatening an election at each other?

Honestly lol.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 1, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Zalakwe posted:

Isn't this now both factions threatening an election at each other.

Honestly lol.

Here he is arguing that no deal was clearly what won the referendum

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1112686419099582464?s=19

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

D: Common Market 2.0

Alter the Political Declaration to make it so that during the implementation of a Withdrawal Agreement we:

-Become part of EFTA.
-Become part of the EEA.
-Agree frictionless food trade with the EU.
-Agree a common tariff with the EU.
-Give the UK a say on future EU trade deals (?) until an agreement is made to keep frictionless trade with no hard land border in Ireland.

Make it so if the above were achieved the NI backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement would be overridden by this.

Instruct the government to bring in another Meaningful Vote™ conditional on the Political Declaration being altered as above and made legally binding.

This bit looks specifically designed to entice the DUP. Interesting.

https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1112682055312310273
SNP on board with CM2.0, but CUKs are saying they'll vote against. No word from Lib dems, so could still fail even if Labour whips for it.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 1, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

This bit looks specifically designed to entice the DUP. Interesting.

The customs union would also do this.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

If we end up with May's Brexit because the CUKs and the Lib Dems won't back anything else I hope they are never allowed to forget it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oh yeah, we're having another meaning(ful/less) vote today aren't we, hope they don't gently caress it up! Which they will.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jabby posted:

If we end up with May's Brexit because the CUKs and the Lib Dems won't back anything else I hope they are never allowed to forget it.

There is a drat good chance they'll do this, because liberals are trash

Edit - I mean I'm not saying it'll probably happen, but if it does I won't be surprised at all

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

jabby posted:

The LibDems have been nothing but spineless little weasels for the last decade, let's assume the streak continues.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Also just thought of this but Tony Blair assuming that Boris Johnson could beat Corbyn takes on board a pretty big assumption that Boris Johnson would become leader. The man is out manoeuvred by basically anyone and the last time he threw his hat into the ring he got stabbed in the back so quickly that Theresa May managed to become Prime Minister by sheer virtue of everyone else imploding around her.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Azza Bamboo posted:

A: Unilateral Right of Exit from the Backstop

May's Deal but amended to grant the ability to leave the backstop.

The EU will never agree to this, and it's going to be defeated by like 100-200 votes if it even makes it into voting.

quote:

D: Common Market 2.0

Alter the Political Declaration to make it so that during the implementation of a Withdrawal Agreement we:

-Become part of EFTA.
-Become part of the EEA.
-Agree frictionless food trade with the EU.
-Agree a common tariff with the EU.
-Give the UK a say on future EU trade deals (?) until an agreement is made to keep frictionless trade with no hard land border in Ireland.

Make it so if the above were achieved the NI backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement would be overridden by this.

This seems iffy on the "will the EU accept" side of things, especially the UK having a say on EU trade deals.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

Here he is arguing that no deal was clearly what won the referendum

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1112686419099582464?s=19

LOL nice av

I thought the assad chemical stuff being overblown was pretty common knowledge now or was it bollocks after all?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also just thought of this but Tony Blair assuming that Boris Johnson could beat Corbyn takes on board a pretty big assumption that Boris Johnson would become leader. The man is out manoeuvred by basically anyone and the last time he threw his hat into the ring he got stabbed in the back so quickly that Theresa May managed to become Prime Minister by sheer virtue of everyone else imploding around her.

Donald Trump is POTUS. Never underestimate the ability of rich buffoons to fail upwards endlessly

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

SNP have confirmed they will not back a customs union, because they won't back anything that doesn't guarantee freedom of movement. Could potentially still pass if some more Tories switch?

Labour currently being cagey on whether they will support CM2.0. Thornberry just said she didn't know the whipping arrangement yet on Radio 4.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

LOL nice av

I thought the assad chemical stuff being overblown was pretty common knowledge now or was it bollocks after all?

One specific attack was claimed to be a chemical attack and probably wasn't

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/09/douma-chemical-attack-evidence-syria/

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Maugrim posted:

The one bill being presented will be fun:

Prime Minister (Confidence)
Tom Brake
Bill to require a Prime Minister to tender their resignation to Her Majesty if the House of Commons passes a motion of no confidence in them; and for connected purposes.

Is this basically making it possible to VONC the PM specifically, rather than the govt as a whole?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whatever happens today the Tories are gonna tear themselves apart and I love it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

spiderbot posted:

Is this basically making it possible to VONC the PM specifically, rather than the govt as a whole?

Looks like it

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Sulphagnist posted:

This seems iffy on the "will the EU accept" side of things, especially the UK having a say on EU trade deals.

Yeah this is what got me worried...if the UK manages to pass a deal that is unacceptable for the EU as the only alternative to May's deal. Even if the EU agrees to an extension to discuss changes to the proposition, with the UK taking part in the European elections, I think the lack of "release" for the Brexiters could lead to harsher measures being discussed in the future. And if a soft brexit is the result after long negotiations, they may still be "hungry" for whatever pushed them to vote to Leave EVEN if they are actually out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

spiderbot posted:

Yes, he wants a way to get rid of an incompetent PM without forcing a General Election that potentially won't even get rid of them if they win it. I doubt it will pass even if voted on, because it would be parliament voting for party leaders.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Donald Trump is POTUS. Never underestimate the ability of rich buffoons to fail upwards endlessly

Of course, but the Tory party elections aren't decided by votes, but by who's left without their throat cut.

And Johnson has a fat neck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah this is what got me worried...if the UK manages to pass a deal that is unacceptable for the EU as the only alternative to May's deal. Even if the EU agrees to an extension to discuss changes to the proposition, with the UK taking part in the European elections, I think the lack of "release" for the Brexiters could lead to harsher measures being discussed in the future. And if a soft brexit is the result after long negotiations, they may still be "hungry" for whatever pushed them to vote to Leave EVEN if they are actually out.

I think that's too much of a worry, to be honest, the EU would rather we soften our Brexit as much as possible and what they've learned so far is standing strong despite May's begging has served them pretty well.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

Yes, he wants a way to get rid of an incompetent PM without forcing a General Election that potentially won't even get rid of them if they win it. I doubt it will pass even if voted on, because it would be parliament voting for party leaders.

An actual vote of no confidence in the government doesn’t even force a general election.
This is the stupidest posing about

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tesseraction posted:

I think that's too much of a worry, to be honest, the EU would rather we soften our Brexit as much as possible and what they've learned so far is standing strong despite May's begging has served them pretty well.
Well, there is also the other side of the picture, unfortunately...a new PM being disruptive of whatever gets through:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47772603

quote:

Yes, if MPs unite around a softer Brexit and if Theresa May accepts that wish and communicates it to the EU, Brussels says it can amend the political declaration in a jiffy.
But - and this is where the EU believing MPs are out of touch with reality really kicks in - the political declaration is just that: a declaration.

It is not legally binding.
So a future UK prime minister could opt for a very different Brexit when trade negotiations actually start.

Which is probably why one of the options being put forward to be voted on today (from Conservative MP Ken Clarke) reads: "Make it UK law to negotiate a customs union with EU".
Mr Clarke is seeking to restrict the power of the future prime minister to row back on parliament's will if MPs unite around a softer Brexit.

But time is running out – again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

One specific attack was claimed to be a chemical attack and probably wasn't

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/09/douma-chemical-attack-evidence-syria/

That's misleading - it was suspected to be a sarin attack (which got people hyped up because sarin is complex enough to manufacture that bombing facilities would prevent Assad from using it) but it turned out to be just regular old chlorine (which is still a war crime, but an incredibly easy one to do that you can't prevent Assad from doing without destroying his military).

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Is there a good & interesting UK parliament episode today?
When to start watching if so?

no spoilers please

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

jabby posted:

SNP have confirmed they will not back a customs union, because they won't back anything that doesn't guarantee freedom of movement. Could potentially still pass if some more Tories switch?

Labour currently being cagey on whether they will support CM2.0. Thornberry just said she didn't know the whipping arrangement yet on Radio 4.

Labour being cagey makes me assume they're going for something remainers will not like.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

That's misleading - it was suspected to be a sarin attack (which got people hyped up because sarin is complex enough to manufacture that bombing facilities would prevent Assad from using it) but it turned out to be just regular old chlorine (which is still a war crime, but an incredibly easy one to do that you can't prevent Assad from doing without destroying his military).
We need to prevent the Assad regime from having the means to manufacture swimming baths, washing soda, and drinkable water.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah yeah that's right.

Either way he needs a visit from Mdm Guillotine

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

That Italian Guy posted:

"release" for the Brexiters
🤢

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

jabby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbD1XDhKr8U

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

LOL nice av

Nope, evidence of repeated use is pretty clearly established. Tons of reports, etc on the OPCW site.

https://www.opcw.org/media-centre/featured-topics/syria-and-opcw

Of course, you have some who for some reason feel compelled to deny it all. But this is not the Syria thread, so really you should seek answers there.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 1, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jabby posted:

How would this happen? Ending up with May's brexit?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ler posted:

Labour being cagey makes me assume they're going for something remainers will not like.

It also could be that front bench members aren't happy about whatever compromise is being suggested and there's negotiations ongoing to get people on side

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maize Brexits, the colon blocking alternative to Weetabix.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ In Soviet Britain, field of wheat run through you!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Desperate attempt to prevent or at least postpone NDB. That's what May wants, and whether she gets it is probably in the hands of the Tartans and Chuka's splitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1112705915701116930?s=19