Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I kind of went off on an extended incoherent, inarticulate rant about perceptions of masculinity about halfway through there so it's a bit longer than it should have been, sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

goodog posted:

Despite all the talk about respect and hierarchy, the constant of the Mafia since the beginning seems to be people ignoring the rules and taking over because they feel like they're not getting theirs. Its why Lefty in Donnie Brasco was such a poor schlub, because he actually believed in the code.

We'll see it ourselves with that pack of elderly hitmen who operate out of New England.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jerusalem posted:

I kind of went off on an extended incoherent, inarticulate rant about perceptions of masculinity about halfway through there so it's a bit longer than it should have been, sorry!

I’m really enjoying these; you write very well, so I consider the extra length a bonus, not grounds for an apology.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Tony dancing drunk to James Brown is one of my favourite scenes in the whole series and it is amazing how his antics bely the seriousness of what happened that evening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYCYonmN9PU

I may be way off but my interpretation of what happened at the end of Boca was that Tony made that call to the police happen. I remember putting it together in my head the first time I watched the show that he had had Meadow call the police. I can see that that was a big stretch but I guess it kind of fitted with how he and Meadow have this developing adult understanding with each other and I saw her reactions at the end of the episode in that context - Carmella is in her night clothes but Meadow is still dressed and it seems like she was waiting for him to come home. Also it seems out of character for her to look so worried if her concern was merely that her dad had come home shitfaced.

And Jerusalem that was a very interesting analysis of a major theme in the show. It always struck me how the men superficially appear to be affectionate with each other to an extent that would make heterosexual American men (at least in the 1990s) generally uncomfortable yet their definitions of masculinity and opinions on homosexuality are so backward for the time.

crispix fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 31, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

crispix posted:

And Jerusalem that was a very interesting analysis of a major theme in the show. It always struck me how the men superficially appear to be affectionate with each other to an extent that would make heterosexual American men (at least in the 1990s) generally uncomfortable yet their definitions of masculinity and opinions on homosexuality are so backward for the time.

Yeah, the key to remember is it's all performative. You have to make a big show that there's no beef or else people will talk and you might have to do something even if there's only talk. Remember all the trouble that Ralph got into for refusing a drink.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

Your writeups are awesome. I forgot how excellent Season 1 really was.

Kevyn posted:

Tony’s family isn’t from Sicily, they’re from Avellino, near Naples.

drat, and they mention it multiple times in the show too. Chalk that up to minor racism on my part then... :negative:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 31, 2019

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You’re write ups are great, what are you using to get the screen caps?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Scenes with Artie and Tony are so great. One that stands out for great acting is Tony throwing Artie out of the Bada Bing club https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lonfT9ITxhk. Artie doesn't say a word after he has made his case and Tony loses his temper but the way he keeps turning to look at Tony right up until he has the door slammed on him says so much.

I can't put my finger on exactly why but I find Artie's little impression of the hat guy when Tony sits back down hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv3SeUdRBZM

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Tony making the guy take his hat off is funny because we get it again a few years later in Mad Men. I can see why Weiner felt strongly enough to use this twice because even when I was younger I totally agreed with it. Fashion has changed a lot even in just the past ten years to where I'm probably not going to even notice or care if someone else wears a hat in a restaurant.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

crispix posted:

I always assumed the hug and back clapping was about feeling for wires. There is a forced openness to such contact, and if you are unwilling to do it, then there is an implied suspicion.

But I am probably over thinking it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks, I tend to get into a stream of consciousness so I'm glad it was enjoyable to read :)

crispix posted:

I may be way off but my interpretation of what happened at the end of Boca was that Tony made that call to the police happen. I remember putting it together in my head the first time I watched the show that he had had Meadow call the police. I can see that that was a big stretch but I guess it kind of fitted with how he and Meadow have this developing adult understanding with each other and I saw her reactions at the end of the episode in that context - Carmella is in her night clothes but Meadow is still dressed and it seems like she was waiting for him to come home. Also it seems out of character for her to look so worried if her concern was merely that her dad had come home shitfaced.

I didn't read it that way personally, but I do like that - as Melfi and even Artie pointed out - the fact Tony eventually chose not to take action himself ended up having no impact, because the Coach got found out and punished regardless. He made his big speech about he's the guy who will take care of things and wouldn't answer Melfi's questions about why him, but Artie answered that: it was to make HIMSELF feel good about the lovely situation. That piece of poo poo Coach's life is ruined now forever, and it is exactly what he deserved. It's horrible his wife and daughter have to go through this, but better that than he go to another school because you know eventually he'd end up banging another young girl. It's also certainly better than the Coach turning up dead and disappearing forever, leaving Meadow at least to always figure that her father had somebody killed and maybe consider herself in some way to blame for that.

crispix posted:

Artie doesn't say a word after he has made his case and Tony loses his temper but the way he keeps turning to look at Tony right up until he has the door slammed on him says so much.

Yeah, I love that he's clearly terrified of Tony but also adamant that he's going to say his piece and stand up to him in spite of it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
junior pushing the pie into his old girl's face is one of the saddest moments in the series, and also hilarious

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kevyn posted:

It was in the Two Sicilies.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

junior pushing the pie into his old girl's face is one of the saddest moments in the series, and also hilarious

Yeah, that scene, and the performance by the actress, is heartbreaking. Even if, like you said, it's also kind of hilarious.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

There is a lot of really uncomfortable stuff that happens in the show that I've forgotten over time (I rewatched University a few weeks ago and had no recollection of the litany of awful things Tracee goes through before she and Ralph have their meeting in the parking lot*) but the pie scene always stuck with me. The writing lays their history on a little thick, but the performances do a lot of the work in building Junior and Bobbi's relationship and making it feel real. Chianese and Robyn Peterson have a good chemistry and their early happy scenes seem genuine, making his cold dismissal that much more powerful.

(*I also forgot that this gets punctuated with a rough chuckle when the dude in the SUV pulls up as they stand around her body; "HEY, IS THIS PLACE OPEN???")

crispix posted:

Tony dancing drunk to James Brown is one of my favourite scenes in the whole series and it is amazing how his antics bely the seriousness of what happened that evening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYCYonmN9PU

"You smell like Lord Calvert" - funny that for being a boss, Tony is suckin' down bottom shelf Canadian whisky. I had the same issue with Mad Men, where Don's drink of choice was Canadian Club. I'd wager that it was because the bottle design has remained pretty consistent in the last 50 years, so it quickly reads on camera for the viewer, but I always found it funny that as a millionaire jet setter Draper was pouring glass after glass of a drink I would charitably characterize as "thin." I guess in both cases it speaks to their lower class upbringing shining through their cultivated image.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 1, 2019

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Kevyn posted:

"I thought we were Nabboli-dabboli or whatever?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arbite posted:

It was in the Two Sicilies.

I don’t think anyone identified as from two sicilies. It’s just something that happened do to how king titles work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"A pint of blood cost more then a gallon of gold"

The writing for Carmine Jr. was truly inspired.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

"You smell like Lord Calvert" - funny that for being a boss, Tony is suckin' down bottom shelf Canadian whisky. I had the same issue with Mad Men, where Don's drink of choice was Canadian Club. I'd wager that it was because the bottle design has remained pretty consistent in the last 50 years, so it quickly reads on camera for the viewer, but I always found it funny that as a millionaire jet setter Draper was pouring glass after glass of a drink I would charitably characterize as "thin." I guess in both cases it speaks to their lower class upbringing shining through their cultivated image.

I believe that at the time it had a better image. Queen Victoria had Canadian Club make whiskey specifically for the royal family for a long time, which continued even into the beginning of Elizabeth II's reign. I never drank it in the 60s since I wasn't alive, but I'm pretty sure it used to have a much better reputation.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Correct, it had a better reputation back then, or people were less informed if you prefer. I have a bunch of whiskey for special occasions, but I’m quite happy to drink rye&drys made with Canadian Club; a drink my parents used to drink when they met in the 60’s.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I had the same issue with Mad Men, where Don's drink of choice was Canadian Club. I'd wager that it was because the bottle design has remained pretty consistent in the last 50 years, so it quickly reads on camera for the viewer, but I always found it funny that as a millionaire jet setter Draper was pouring glass after glass of a drink I would charitably characterize as "thin." I guess in both cases it speaks to their lower class upbringing shining through their cultivated image.

Don's favorite cocktail was an Old Fashioned, so it'd make sense that his go-to spirit was a rye whiskey. But you're right that even that would make him stick out as being rustic and well.. old fashioned.

My granddad was a jet-setting type in that era and he exclusively drank bottom shelf scotch like Red Label and regular Chivas. The reason why is that they were all alcoholics and you need spirits that can be found in every bar, hotel and airline. Roger is an old sailor but drinks vodka exclusively because its easier to hide and martinis seem more urbane and sophisticated.

For Tony I think his whiskey drinking characterizes him as being more Americanized than the old timers who still drink sambuca.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think the true old-timer Italian drink is anisette. I think the only time it's seen in the whole series is when they go to Italy. My mom says that my grandfather (born in Naples in 1896) drank only red wine and anisette. They drink it in the Godfather as well.

My other grandfather (Irish-American) drank Schenley Whiskey, which I think was a thing because he was in the Navy during the war. From what I understand it was not a good whiskey, but oddly enough was one of the largest distillers in the country for a large part of the 20th century.

edit: I guess Sambuca is technically a version of anisette, though they appear to have different sugar contents. I wonder if anisette was just kind of a catch-all term for anise-flavored liquors and liqueurs.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 2, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sambuca is terrible. And I can drink copious amounts of Malort.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I fully forgot the scene with Janice and Bobby at the lakehouse playing cards with Tony and Carm. I probably laughed at hardest I ever have watching The Sopranos, when Bobby gets angry at Tony saying "you Sopranos take it took far!" and Tony replies full of sarcasm "you're right Bobby, I crossed the line," and he starts humming "Under the Boardwalk" lyrics as it plays in background. Gandolfini's face/comedic delivery just comes across so natural/his true self, and it's just hilarious, as you know he's about to say some hosed up poo poo and he adlibs some lyrics joking as usual about Janice having 'a penis in her mouth under the boardwalk.' I wasn't even laughing at the line, just Tony's face as he says "underrr the boadwalkkk."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

knox posted:

I fully forgot the scene with Janice and Bobby at the lakehouse playing cards with Tony and Carm. I probably laughed at hardest I ever have watching The Sopranos, when Bobby gets angry at Tony saying "you Sopranos take it took far!" and Tony replies full of sarcasm "you're right Bobby, I crossed the line," and he starts humming "Under the Boardwalk" lyrics as it plays in background. Gandfolini's face/comedic delivery just comes across so natural/his true self, and it's just hilarious, as you know he's about to say some hosed up poo poo and he adlibs some lyrics joking as usual about Janice having 'a penis in her mouth under the boardwalk.' I wasn't even laughing at the line, just Tony's face as he says "underrr the boadwalkkk."

Ahem, I believe it's "under the boardwalk / with a schlong in Jan's mouth"

Haha, who says schlong anymore?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Mahoning posted:

I think the true old-timer Italian drink is anisette. I think the only time it's seen in the whole series is when they go to Italy.

Tony offers Danielle the undercover FBI agent some anisette when Adriana brings her over to his house. Again something I only know because I watched that episode yesterday.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The real king of Italian digestifs is grappa (which they also drink in Soprano Home Movies) :c00lbutt:

The other thing about this show, is the way certain products come up by name. Product placement always has and always will be a thing, and sometimes it's not even true product placement- brands really do come up in conversation (I love Bobby saying Rite Aids instead of Rite Aid)- it's for the most part well done in this show, but it opened the door for really subtle, insidious product placement in future serials. In S2 it kicks into high gear once they ran the totals and figured out how much more money they'd make advertising once the show was established as a hit.

It doesn't detract too much from the story but it makes for some comical lines. Centrum vitamins, now that's a fuckin' score! :capitalism:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’ve bought apple juice several times in the past because they’re always drinking it in kitchen scenes.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I eat calabrese salami straight out of the fridge in a housecoat because of this show, it's like my reptile brain didn't know it was possible til I saw James Gandolfini do it. It's liberating, like urinating with the bathroom door open.

I still cannot bring myself to drink straight out of the carton, even if it is a beverage only I will drink

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How many white castles did you have!?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We're gonna jack a load of them Pokeman cards.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'll tell you what a gold mine is, those Harry Potter books!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 1, Episode 10 - A Hit Is A Hit

Hesh posted:

There's good and not good. This is not good.

In New York, Paulie, Pussy and Christopher take a young Colombian drug-dealer by surprise in his apartment, taping his mouth shut and warning him the Colombians need to stay away from Port Newark. Having ensured he got the message, Paulie shoots him in the head because THAT is the message. Pussy calls them into the next room, where thy're astonished to see bags and bags of small bills: money from crack coming in off various corners and apparently being stored in this apartment with near zero-security. The three are delighted, there's so much money there they're going to struggle to fit it even into the large cardboard box they were using as a prop to dispel the dealer's suspicions.

At the Soprano home, Tony gifts a box of Cuban cigars (Montecristos) to his neighbor Doctor Cusamano, a thank you for his recommendation of Dr. Melfi. Cusamano is grateful if wary, especially as Montecristos are illegal in the US due to the Cuba trade embargo. He and Tony joke about, Tony saying "they fell off a truck", then takes a phonecall from Paulie and gets the very good news. Cusamano is clearly a little uncomfortable but also fascinated, and offers a little gift of his own by suggesting Tony join them at his Golf Club (a private course, not the public links) and try out the back nine. Now Tony seems like the uncomfortable but fascinated one.

He's much more comfortable later when he joins Paulie and Christopher to check out just one of the bags stuffed with cash from the mammoth score made today. Toasting each other with champagne, Tony notes that a score like this comes once in a lifetime and they should take advantage. He wants to look into an IPO, explaining this way the money can become legitimate and they can "live off the juice". Christopher, the only one not wearing a bathrobe, excuses himself as Tony, Irina, Paulie and his girl prepare to take a dip in the hot-tub. He's using some of the cash he scored to take Adriana out for a night on the town. Tony and Paulie are both surprised - and Tony in particular happy - to see he may be considering his relationship as something serious.

Adriana is happy too, still on a high later that evening as they stop off at a local fast-food place for a top-up, with an almost exclusively black clientele. They've been to see Rent on Broadway, a play neither of them apparently enjoyed but which is irrelevant, because they had 5th Row Center seats and that is what REALLY mattered. A dinner at Le Cirque was another status symbol for her, and she admits to being somewhat guilty about already being hungry again, but she's buzzing with energy from her good mood. As Christopher grunts frequent offensive (and very loud) comments about having to wait to be served, Adriana excitedly considers what it would be like to own a restaurant like Le Cirque. Christopher is bemused that she actually wants a career instead of just being with him, and with surprising contempt she dismisses the idea of being just like Carmela Soprano. Christopher - a younger generation, remember - surprisingly agrees, noting that Carmela is an intelligent woman, but she doesn't really do anything with it.

Finally called to the counter, they pass a black cop and a man in suit and hat whom Adriana thinks is familiar. He approaches Christopher who casually insults him as well, irritating Adriana, while the other customers glare on. The cop sidles up beside another man dressed in orange and fills him in: the Italian guy is semi-hooked up with the Tony Soprano crew. The info was probably given with the intent of stopping any violence occurring, but it is particularly useful information for a reason he couldn't possibly comprehend.

They leave with their meal, Adriana complaining that Christopher always has to find something to get angry about : if it's not "the blacks" it'll be somebody else. They stop to admire the VERY nice car outside, figuring it belongs to the guy with the hat. The man in orange sidles up behind them, introducing himself as Orange J, and asks if they'd like to join them for a party at the Englewood Cliffs home of Massive Genius. Adriana finally figures out why she recognized him, Massive Genius - played by the wonderful Bokeem Woodbine - is a prominent Gangsta Rapper. Christopher isn't intimidated but he's also no fool, he figures he goes to their place and they'll beat the poo poo out of him for talking smack inside earlier. But Orange J has other ideas in mind, they know he's hooked up with Tony Soprano's Crew, and they think there is business to be done. In spite of earlier having aided in the murder and robbery of a rival criminal trying to infiltrate their turf and making a ton of money out of it, Christopher knows that Tony would appreciate the chance for further cash opportunities.

Massive Genius' home is extremely lavish, wowing them both but Adriana especially. They head upstairs where a massive bodyguard ushers them through to Massive's spacious home. He casually but explicitly points out it is smaller than his Hamptons crib, remained seated behind his desk in a power move that makes him the person THEY have come to see. Adriana is dazzled by the gold records on the wall, but Christopher only has eyes for the weapons tucked away in a security cabinet. Massive takes out one massive pistol to show off, pointedly aiming it in Christopher's direction. He poo poo his pants when a Russian pointed a gun at him at the pier and he thought he was going to die, but here he - while uneasy - knows that Massive isn't just going to blow him away point blank. Massive seems to appreciate this, popping the gun away and commenting that "you people" are all right. He's not referring to white or Italian, but the Mafia: he's seen the Godfather 200 times, loved the sequel and even thinks the 3rd movie was just misunderstood.

He takes them outside to a balcony overlooking his pool and gets to the point: Hesh. He doesn't know him personally but does know his history: he owned F-Note Records in the 50s and 60s and took advantage of a distant quasi-cousin of Massive's mother named Little Jimmy Willis. Massive thinks he owes some of the money he stole in royalties to Little Jimmy's mother, who is still alive even if the man himself died of a drug overdose decades earlier. Christopher doesn't think Hesh is likely to give back the cash, but Massive doesn't push the point, just welcomes them to enjoy the rest of the evening. Which they apparently do, because it's not till early the next morning they return to Christopher's small apartment where he rants about the fact Massive is considered a "gangster" when he is the real deal.

He complains about how "the blacks" get to live the high life AND be celebrated in public for it, appearing on television and openly talking about being criminals while he has to deal with secret this and omerta that. Junior Soprano is the Boss of a Mafia Crime Family and he wanders about in a moldy old sweater half the time. Adriana tries to cheer him up, reminding him how happy he was only the previous night after his big score. Christopher doesn't want to cheer up though, he wants to vent, and points out that "our thing" once ruled the music business. Adriana is curious and he explains how they would bankroll acts, bust heads to get airtime on the radio or venue bookings, and enjoyed a cut of the action. They excitedly agree on the fact there were many great Italian singers, and in a rare case Christopher mentions his father, a legendary figure he barely knew who died when he was still young, who used to tell him about the great singers. Adriana succeeds in getting through to him, turning up the Bon Jovi playing on the radio and spilling with Christopher onto the bed where they begin making out. She's just had one hell of a night out on the town and she wants to make sure Christopher is rewarded for it.

Tony comes home and the way he stops and has to think about whether to go into the kitchen knowing that Carmela is in there says a hell of a lot. Whether it's guilt from banging Irina last night to celebrate his windfall, or he just doesn't feel like a discussion on any subject I don't know, but the way he braces himself before heading in is fairly depressing. Carmela spots him and notes they've been invited to a barbecue at the Wagner home up the street, but quickly forgets about it when she sees how reluctant he is. She goes back to poring over the college brochures for Meadow, upset at how much it all costs, and more upset when Tony - who just came into tens of thousands of dollars (possibly hundreds of thousands) - smirks and says they have enough. This calls back to something Adriana said the previous night: she doesn't want to be like Carmela, which included having a husband who can't or won't tell her where the money comes from. Adriana knew about Christopher's score even if she didn't know the details. Carmela not only doesn't know, but when she complains that she wants to know more than "you'll be taken care of" should the worst happen to Tony and he laughs about it, she guesses he made a score and he straight up denies it to her face (perhaps the reason he wanted to avoid her in the first place). Exasperated but not too mad, she says she can never tell if he is old-fashioned, paranoid, or just an rear end in a top hat. Amused and still in a good mood, Tony agrees they'll attend the Wagner barbecue as some sort of make-good, and remarks he's even been invited to play golf at Cusamano's club recently.

On another night out, Christopher takes Adriana to another nice restaurant where they're forced to wait at the bar for their table. As they wait, Adriana brings up an ex-boyfriend, Richie Santini, a musician who plays what Christopher calls "that headbanging poo poo". Adriana has a point to make though, his talk about the good old days of Italians (or rather, the Mafia) running the music business got her thinking. Richie's band is good, he's somebody they know, maybe they could talk to Massive Genius about the potential for producing him. Christopher considers it, he has actually arranged a sit-down between Massive and Hesh, maybe he can parlay that into a favor? Adriana moves uneasily on to her next point, she's been thinking beyond just introducing people, maybe she can turn her skills as a hostess into Music Management?

As a brief aside, isn't it interesting the difference between Christopher/Adriana and Tony/Carmela? Not only is Christopher (slightly) more open about his line of work, but he's okay with the notion of her having a career. Even more than that, he seems to have not a care in the world that "his" woman had a prior sexual history before they were together. He's far from an enlightened, progressive man but in comparison to Tony/Carmela there is an appreciable level of respect for her as a person outside of her relationship with himself.

The next morning she plays an old demo CD of Richie's band - Defiler - and though it's not his type of music, he's intrigued enough by Adriana's idea that he agrees. He's gonna use his share of money from the score to set her up and get her started in Music Management. This is his idea of Tony's IPO musings, he's going to put his money into something "legitimate" that can go to work for him. Adriana is beyond thrilled, and absolutely sparkling with love.

Hesh has his "sit-down" with Massive Genius, who is pretty open in the mocking way he questions the validity of Hesh's music co-writing credit with Little Jimmy. They're watched by Tony, Paulie, Silvio and Christopher, and all but the latter are amused and dismissive of Massive's grievances: Hesh bought horses with his royalties, while Jimmy bought Horsep. Massive's face when Hesh says he did a lot of good for "negro youth" is something to behold, but he keeps his cool and says he's here seeking reparations, which Tony accurately labels a shakedown instead. Massive points out Johnny Boy was a silent partner and got a cut of the royalties too, which Tony doesn't deny, but he says he'll abide by whatever decision Hesh makes about this. Christopher speaks up out of turn, claiming Hesh has to do the right thing, and in a rare display of temper Hesh turns on him and warns him he is out of line. They retire to the verandah and have drinks, where Hesh asks Massive to come out with it and just say what he wants. Displaying an open disdain that is surprising given later season revelations, he warns that his people were the white man's friend of the family when Massive's were still "chasing zebras". He and Tony share a startled look when Massive says 400k to Idella Willis will set the record straight, but when Paulie demands to know "or what" if they don't pay, Massive just hits Hesh with a low-blow: Idella always referred to the man who stole her son's royalties as "that nice man". It's one thing to joke like they did in a previous episode about Hesh ripping off a couple of black kids, another to come face to face with the fact that you're a gigantic piece of poo poo who ripped off an old woman who still thinks fondly of you.

At the Cusamano house, Doctor Cusamano and his wife Jeanie are having a dinner party which includes Dr. Melfi. She's slightly uncomfortable when the topic of conversation turns to the Sopranos next door, especially when Cusamano brags about getting Cuban cigars as a gift from Tony. He admits he took a gift from a patient, but it was a nice gesture for a referal as opposed to a "bribe", and he makes a point of noting smugly to Melfi that Tony says he is VERY happy with the referral he got. The other guests are having a good time simultaneously talking poo poo about the Sopranos while admitting there is actually probably less distinction between the boardroom and gangsters than you'd think, outside of maybe "whacking" somebody. The Wagners, who invited Carmela and Tony to their own upcoming barbecue, seem fascinated by the fact that they didn't see guns lying around when they attended Carmela's recent fundraiser, but can't help cracking a joke about "that goombah Murano glass". Melfi makes it awkward (good, these people are pieces of poo poo!) by noting that SHE likes Murano glass, leaving everybody uneasy as she gulps down her wine nervously.

Massive Genius, paying off the favor he owes, attends a bar with Christopher and Adriana to listen to Richie's band - now called Visiting Day - play. Christopher admits this isn't Massive's kind of music, but Massive corrects him: "his" kind of music is anything that turns poo poo green. Adriana waxes lyrical about the band, saying Richie's rehab added depth to his music and they could "blow Matchbox 20 out of the water". Richie's song, while technically competent, is basically a never-ending dirge that just keeps going and going and going and going. The crowd get restless and begin booing, Christopher screaming at a startled bar patron to shut the gently caress up, which amuses Massive to no end. Eyeing up Adriana with obvious interest, he tells her that without her to help them, Visiting Day are doomed to end up in the Miscellaneous V section of a record store, a backhanded compliment that delights her. Christopher asks if he is interested, and with a pointed look at Adriana he says he is.

Back at the Cusamanos, Melfi excuses herself to use the bathroom while everybody else laughs over the gory scenes from various mob movies. It's really an excuse for her to also leer/peek in on the Soprano house from the bathroom window, where she is frightened by the sudden sound of an animalistic roar coming from that direction.

Christopher and Adriana settle in for the night, where Christopher has some concerns: Richie is kind of a loser, isn't he? Adriana comes to his defense, he only lives with his mother because he got 3rd degree burns trying to grill a trout with a downed power line! Christopher pleases her by complimenting her on how she sold the band to Massive, and she gets fired up as she considers what to do next. He's still uneasy though, music isn't something he can really quantify or hold in his hands like his other financial interests, he has to agree with her that it's more of an art and an instinct, something she insists she has.

Tony attends therapy where he explains the reason for his uneasiness at spending time with his neighbors. It's a class/status thing: people like Cusamano are "americani", he's a "white man", not in the Caucasian sense but a "wonder bread wop". Tony doesn't consider himself "white" in that way, but does find some appeal in the idea of branching out and befriending them. The problem is, what will the guys in his crew think if he does? He's a victim of class in a way, though in this case he has no idea that the people who he looks down on while envying them are completely dismissive of him. Tony thinks they accept/like him and it's down to his own prejudice and his fear of rejection by his peers that he is "forced" to remain distant. The irony being that Melfi knows fully well how they feel, but could never tell him. She does however admit she was in the neighborhood at the Cusamanos' for a dinner party. As they say their goodbyes, she asked if he heard any strange noises like somebody screaming in pain, but he has no idea what she is talking about. Embarrassed by even bringing it up, she says it was probably just a loud television set.

Tony does attend the barbecue with Carmela as promised, where his worst fears come true. The conversation is as tepid and boring as he feared, standing around the grill with the americani as they giggle over phallic symbolism and comment on where they purchased things. Tony, unable to resist himself, asks one of them if he has any stock tips he could pass on and they politely fob him off. But then two of them, Jack and "Rand", begin openly discussing between themselves on an upcoming buyout of Dexplex. Jack straight up says he wants the inside info so he can call "the islands" to take advantage, which is pure insider trading but falls under the category of white collar crime, which means it isn't as bad even as they play with numbers that far exceed even the big score Tony just made. They clam up when Tony asks for more clarification, and Cusamano quickly gets them to change the subject. Meanwhile, Carmela is openly being given stock-tips by the wives about a company called American Biotics working on a side-effect free anti-impotence drug. She's enthralled, they play the stock market? Smugly, they explain they don't play: they win. They all giggle, while Carmela smiles and can't help but feel a little out of her element.

At Hesh's home, he sits strolling through memory lane, looking over framed gold records and old pictures of himself in his prime at F-Note Records as Little Jimmy Willis' "Such a Fool" plays. He sips a drink and can't take his eyes off not only the pictures of Little Jimmy, but himself and a pretty young black woman who features heavily in the pictures with himself in them.

An exhausted Sound Engineer - Squid - sits with Adriana with an ashtray overflowing with cigarette buds between them, recording the 62nd take of Visiting Day's "Erase Myself". The band are exhausted, Squid is exhausted, Adriana is tired but still wanting more, and Christopher has just shown up and confused as to why everybody is pissed off. Richie and the band clearly thought they had this done two days ago, Squid grumbles passive-aggressively to Adriana that he wishes he'd thought of that too, and it is clear that the one holding up the process has been Adriana trying to get the perfect sound for the demo. Squid says it is good, or rather as good as they're going to get, and Adriana admits that it at least wasn't bad. Christopher has no idea what any of this means, was it good or not? What is wrong with it? Squid explains that they've just hit a brick wall, offering the backhanded compliment that everybody is doing the best they can and some rest will do them all good. Christopher doesn't want to hear that though, he paid for three days of studio time and packing up and coming back later will cost him more. Adriana is baffled, they got through the instrumental tracks without issue but for some reason the vocals seem to be a roadblock. Richie is exhausted and wants some sleep, but Christopher first bargains with them to continue and then gets aggressive, especially when Richie - who Adriana assured him was not a loser - tells him it's okay because Kinkos gave him 5 days off! Christopher's solution is to toss Richie a baggy of meth, telling him to go shoot up and inject some energy back into the songs. The rest of the band and Adriana are arguing over what the first single should be, while Richie tries to leave and ignore Christopher demanding he shoot up. As Adriana complains that she is supposed to be producing (that's her problem, not the offer of drugs), Richie passes the buck by saying the bass and drum tracks were miked wrong from the start. That sets Squid off, he's had to sit through this loving dirge of a song for two straight days but he's not going to let a loser like Richie blame him, even if he has "recorded in Denmark"! Squid, having reached breaking point, demands to know where the loving choruses in his songs are. Richie goes off on a rant about how The Beatles' song structure are old-hat, exasperating Squid further, and Christopher has had enough. When Richie tries to leave for his AA meeting, Christopher grabs a guitar and threatens him, smashing him over the back with it and demanding they get back to work ... belatedly noting the shattered guitar in his hands and commenting they can use a ukelele now.

But while Adriana is seeing her dreams of a career fall apart, Carmela is taking advantage of her unexpected tip to make a bid for some level of independence. She places a phone order for 5000 shares of American Biotics, overheard by Meadow who asks her why she is "playing" Wall Street. Carmela says that while Tony, God Bless him, does very well, they can't discount the fact that he could be hit by a truck "or something" one day, so she needs to look out for the family too. Meadow is surprisingly unimpressed/uncertain about Carmela actually taking decisive financial action on her own, but Carmela assures her she will understand herself when he is married. Meadow still seems unsure, so Carmela falls back on what she always does: consumption. Not of food, in this case, but an offer to treat them both to Georgette Klinger's for a massage, facial, hour de beaute, all on Carmela's (Tony's) dime. Meadow is more than happy to accept the bribe.

In spite of the dull as dishwater barbecue, Tony has taken up Cusamano's offer of being a fourth at their golf club. He's clearly in his element and enjoying himself as Cusamano, Jack and "Rand" bellow in astonishment at his golf drive and laugh at his jokes. Cusamano says they should make him a member of the club, and this time he doesn't reject the idea, obviously impressed by the grounds and the camaraderie... until he realizes why they asked him there. With great fascination, they ask him if he ever played the golf course in Florida beloved by Al Capone? How real was The Godfather? Do you really have to cut your finger and take an oath when you get Made? Does he have friends in New York? Does he ever go to Little Italy? Did he see the picture of Galante dead with the cigar in his mouth? Wasn't that a loving beautiful hit? Did he ever meet John Gotti?

They're tourists, excitedly getting a safe thrill from associating with a known mobster in a controlled environment (Outside of her professionalism, is Melfi any different?). Cusamano at least has the self-awareness to look embarrassed by all the questions, but even he quickly gets caught up in the excitement. As they wait for the next hole to clear, Tony stares around at these americani, high-fiving, sweater-vest wearing, boring rear end white guys and figures if they're using him he might as well have a little fun. Somberly he tells them a complete bullshit story about being outbid for an old ice-cream van by John Gotti, and getting a ride home with him while Gotti rang the bell the whole way. They stand around in an awkward silence when he's done, broken only when Tony notices the people on the green have finished up and waved them in.

Massive Genius listens to the demo CD provided by Adriana, who dances and "meows" along to one of the tracks as Christopher watches. Massive and Christopher bob their heads to the beat, but Christopher can't help but notice that the thing that Massive seems REALLY interested in is the dancing Adriana. Having suspicions, he takes the same demo CD to Hesh and plays it for him, and he is less than impressed. The most diplomatic thing he can say is that it is "not good", admitting it isn't his era but music is music and talent is talent, and what he's hearing doesn't have the latter. He tells a story about Hendrix as an example, and has no time for Christopher's accusation that he's just pissed he went against him at the sit-down. Christopher, trying to salvage something from his investment, yells that the guitar player is really good, but Hesh counters that even if that was the case, the one true constant of the music business is that a hit is a hit, and this is NOT a hit. He can't say why, he couldn't begin to comprehend or quantify, it's just the way things are.

Tony attends another therapy session and laughs his way nostalgically through a rather horrible story or how he and his friends would bully and take advantage of Jimmy Smash when they were kids. Jimmy was their age but had a cleft palate, so they would constantly mock the way he sounded. They were the popular kids, and they'd let Jimmy hang out with them whenever they wanted a laugh, and he'd pathetically go along just so he had somebody to be around. They make him sing songs for them for the laughs, but then when they got bored of him they just stopped calling him up or seeking him out. Years later, Tony found out that Jimmy would go home every night and cry himself to sleep, and he felt bad about that. But he didn't truly understand what it felt like to be used till he played golf with Cusamano and his friends. With clear frustration he refers to himself as a dancing bear, and Melfi - who was disgusted by the Jimmy story - can't help but feel disgust for her own friend Cusamano. Maybe she even wonders what they say about her when she isn't around. She asks what happened to Jimmy and even in spite of his recent realization, he can't help but laugh when he explains he robbed a bank but the cops were easily able to figure out who he was in spite of a mask thanks to the sound of his voice. Now he's doing 20 years in prison. Tony laughs, but Melfi can only offer the barest diplomatic smile: Tony was used and that's bad, but he's only learned that it sucks when HE is the one being used.

Massive takes a call while sitting by the pool. It's Hesh, calling from the back room of the Bada Bing with Tony, Silvio and Paulie looking on as he explains he considered Massive's offer and then tells him in no uncertain terms to gently caress off. Tony warns him to let sleeping dogs lie, saying he suspects that Massive probably got a degree in sociology from a city college and uses the Gangsta Rap persona purely for the financial benefit. Massive corrects him slightly, he grew up in the projects and killed a man, but he DID get a degree... in Urban Planning. What he learned was that sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword, so rather than coming at Hesh guns blazing, he's going to tie him up in years of litigation and legal fees. Tony is amused at the idea of him coming after them with a lawsuit, but can't help but agree that given what Massive pays in retainers, he might as well get some use out of them. Hesh hits back with the pen too however, saying he can easily counter-sue because on the last track one of Massive's signees released, he sampled the backing vocal from a song that is on F-Note's recording rights. Massive pretends indifference and promises to see him in court, but it is clear he's furious as he hangs up. A disappointed Paulie removes his shirt to reveal he was wearing a bulletproof vest, which he also discards. He's disappointed, a lawsuit? And they call themselves gangsters?

Adriana excitedly models new outfits for Christopher, thrilled when he says she can have both despite the high cost. He's attempting to butter her up, and she can sense something is wrong. Finally he comes out with it: Visiting Day sucks. Also Massive only came along this far because he wants to gently caress her.

She's furious, especially when he says he got "experts" Hesh, Silvio (he owned rock clubs) to listen and they agreed it was no good, and Squid himself said as much. She wants to know why her opinion that it is good doesn't count, and accuses him of trying to keep her down and using Massive as an excuse. She removes the outfits, not wanting the bribe, and demands to know what is actually wrong with Visiting Day. He admits he doesn't know, but quite correctly points out it is a problem that SHE doesn't know or doesn't recognize it. She can't be a Music Manager and not see what the experts see, and he can't put his money behind her if that is the case. Understandably, this isn't something that she wants to hear, and she lashes out at him, accusing him of thinking she doesn't have talent, that he's jealous of her for being able to branch out in ways he can't or won't. He won't answer, trying not to say anything that will make things worse, which of course makes things worse. She tries to storm out and he blocks her, telling her he loves her. That isn't enough for her, and she pushes past him.

Carmela, meanwhile, is happily reading in the financial news that American Biotics has split 3-1. Tony walks in, in a great mood as he asks her to provide a finger for him to tie a string around a small package. He's decided to gently caress with Cusamano, and she grins that he's kind of cute when he's being a bad boy. He notices she is in a good mood as well, and she giggles over his revelation he's going to trick his "friend" into thinking there is something illicit inside. Carmela has good reason to be happy, unlike Adriana who considered herself going places and Carmela to be stuck in a rut, she's just found an outlet that both satisfies her personally AND financially while Adriana has had her dream torn away.

Tony slips out the back and through the yard to Cusamano's fence, calling him over and happily dismissing his objections at being called "Cuse", assuring him it doesn't have that "other connotation" anymore. He asks him to hold onto the package for him for awhile, and he'll come back for it when he needs it - probably in a month, maybe more, maybe less. Bewildered, Cusamano agrees, and Tony asks him about the Golf Club. He's disappointed but not surprised to hear Cusamano say that the club isn't accepting new members until old members die ("Nobody's dying?" he asks!). He assures him he is fine, and heads away still apparently happy about the little trick he just played... until he gets into the basement and onto his bench press. There we discover the source of the anguished roar Melfi heard, as he gets out his frustrations by pumping iron: a more aggressive form of the despondent weeping of Jimmy Smash all those decades earlier.

Christopher sits on the pool table in the Bada Bing's backroom, drinking a beer and listening despondently to Nobody Loves Me But You on the radio, thinking about Adriana. Hesh walks in to grab some files off a desk, stopping for a moment to listen before noting,"Now that's a hit" before walking out. Christopher just keeps drinking, he can't deny it.

The episode ends on an amusing note at least, as Cusamano and Jeanie stand in their tastefully, blandly appointed kitchen looking in horror at Tony's package. Is it heroin? A weapon? It could be anything, but he warns her not to touch it. The sound of Tony screaming catches their attention, and they're left to wonder if they let their fascination with their mobster neighbor go too far.

Season 1: The Pilot | 46 Long | Denial, Anger, Acceptance | Meadowlands | College | Pax Soprana | Down Neck | The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti | Boca | A Hit Is a Hit | Nobody Knows Anything | Isabella | I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano
Season 1 | Season 2 | Season 3 | Season 4 | Season 5 | Season 6.1 | Season 6.2

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 23, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is an interesting episode. I think it's the closest we get to a Hesh-centric episode unlesh I'm mis-remembering an episode down the line (which is entirely possible). I'm not sure if the line about 'chasing zebras' should have been said, but at the same time I've never forgotten it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

This is an interesting episode. I think it's the closest we get to a Hesh-centric episode unlesh I'm mis-remembering an episode down the line (which is entirely possible). I'm not sure if the line about 'chasing zebras' should have been said, but at the same time I've never forgotten it.

There's at least one episode (possibly two that I may be conflating) where Tony owes him some money and some pretty horrible things happen between him giving him the money and getting it paid back. If I recall correctly, it's the same episode where Hesh mentally calculates how much money Tony could actually get his hands onto at short notice and it's a surprisingly low amount due to how much can't be in his name/the source can't be legitimately proven etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was in the last season when Tony starts to tear down their friendship because he doesn't want to pay Hesh back. I can't remember, but I think the only reason he does eventually pay him back is because Hesh's wife dies and Tony just gives him the money and says "sorry" and walks out unphased. I always liked Hesh's character. He's just as big of an rear end in a top hat as the rest of the crew, but he's smarter and keeps his head lower so has way more success.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Doesn’t Christopher say that Silvio used to own rock clubs in Asbury Park? I think it’s the first of a few Silvio-Bruce Springsteen references on the show.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

“Where the gently caress you been? You’re late!”
“Highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive”
“Oh, you’re gonna get fuckin’ cute now?”

Edit: I’m surprised there’s not a compilation on YouTube of all the times Christopher arrives late.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 3, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Doesn’t Christopher say that Silvio used to own rock clubs in Asbury Park? I think it’s the first of a few Silvio-Bruce Springsteen references on the show.

Yep, it's just a casual mention - when Sopranos first aired I had no idea he was in Bruce Springsteen's band, so whenever I see him doing a performance now it's this weird moment of,"Wait what the gently caress is Silvio doing up there?" - guy looks like a Dick Tracy villain and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jerusalem posted:

guy looks like a Dick Tracy villain and it rules.

Nothing on the show can crack me up faster than Silvio just frowning.