Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
we've had two referendums in recent years and both times people have voted for the poo poo option because they are dumb as rocks. idk what kind of loon you have to be to think the solution to the current problem is another referendum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coffeetable posted:

Snap.

I'm keen on CM2.0 independently because I'll take a minor lovely outcome over the risk of going to the apocalyptically stupid public once again. That CM2.0 is likely to end in revocation is just the icing on the cake.

Yeah, p much. Revoke pls

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Likely yes, because it means better economic outcomes for both sides and sacrifices nothing.

It's pretty much exactly what everyone assumed Brexit was going to look at before the vulture capitalists got their hands on it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

coffeetable posted:

we've had two referendums in recent years and both times people have voted for the poo poo option because they are dumb as rocks. idk what kind of loon you have to be to think the solution to the current problem is another referendum

I like runoff voting and was sad to see that people refused to move to a better system than the current system just because it wasn't the proportional representation system they wanted.

Also a lot of people were confused by the system and wanted a simpler one, but that's an obstacle to either system.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm not going to :f5: this, what time should we expect the important stuff of the day to have happened? 9 PM?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
CM2.0 is a soft Brexit that's probably going to rip the Tories in two (as a party, not individually, sadly) so it's pretty much the best of the plausible outcomes.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

CM2.0 is a soft Brexit that's probably going to rip the Tories in two so it's pretty much the best of the plausible outcomes.

Yup. There's not a chance in hell May could pivot to it without collapsing her government, and equally if her deal goes down she can't possibly not pivot to the expressed will of the house. Even attempting something like a customs union compromise would likely get her VONCed by her own backbenchers.

She's utterly trapped and the only possible lifeline are the Labour rebels prepared to vote for her deal when she brings it back again.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

double nine posted:

I'm not going to :f5: this, what time should we expect the important stuff of the day to have happened? 9 PM?

I have reason to suspect that the announcement will be made shortly after 10PM

The vote itself will be held at 8:00PM, with voting scheduled to last half an hour before starting a debate on an unrelated motion lasting up to 90 minutes. At the end of that debate will be an opportunity to announce any results if they have been collated at that time.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

whipping for the softest possible brexit is good politics by labour, but non-ideal policy

of course, soft brexit->confirmatory public vote (lol) seems to be the safest course of action, though one which would likely place corbyn in the brexiteer camp

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's kinda been in there since the referendum?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

V. Illych L. posted:

whipping for the softest possible brexit is good politics by labour, but non-ideal policy

of course, soft brexit->confirmatory public vote (lol) seems to be the safest course of action, though one which would likely place corbyn in the brexiteer camp

Cm2 isnt what brexiters want and none of the options have any chance of winning a 2nd vote because they arent all things for all people

Corbyn getting to cover himself to both sides would be the best case

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
JRM's tears are delicious.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Are there any rules in Parliament to prevent filibustering?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

The media have placed him there, but he's in the 'whatever is Labour party policy' camp from a professional perspective, though i've lost track of exactly what that is right now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gunder posted:

Not really afaik

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol at JRM getting into a shitfight witih Soubry

let them fight

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This is basically just Points of View for Brexit enthusiasts.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OwlFancier posted:

kind of, but this would see him explicitly campaigning against remain which would be really awkward

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I read

radmonger posted:

I thought that power was constitutionally reserved for the Lords?
as a response to

Azza Bamboo posted:

The member for Gainsborough is an embarrassment to my county.
and it made me laugh.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

corbyn personally is clearly both deeply ambivalent about the EU and has a fair bit of respect for referendum results, so he's probably personally leaning heavily towards some form of soft brexit

however, it's not just his party and i imagine he can be swayed on this, an issue which really isn't that important to him

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gunder posted:

Not exactly but the speaker can stop you if you deviate off topic.

One useful tactic as you may well have seen in the commons is to allow interventions on your speech from other members. If a lot of MPs work together they can all intervene on each other to drag out all of their speeches.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like runoff voting and was sad to see that people refused to move to a better system than the current system just because it wasn't the proportional representation system they wanted.

Also a lot of people were confused by the system and wanted a simpler one, but that's an obstacle to either system.

If I remember right the best system for both accuracy and ease of understanding is simply multiple choice, and I’m not sure why it’s not floated out there more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

coffeetable posted:

We've had three referenda, and only Brexit was the poo poo result. Changing the voting system is a good idea but not the way the LDs wanted it, and the Scottish Indyref was pandering to the same sort of idiot who want Brexit now except for a different country.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Azza Bamboo posted:

Not exactly but the speaker can stop you if you deviate off topic.

What about repetition or hesitations?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t see why Corbyn would campaign for CM2 in a confirmatory referendum. I’m sure he sees it as the pointless downgrade we all do. “Respecting the will of the people” doesn’t really matter any more when you’re actually having a new referendum. It’s not a secret that he openly campaigned for Remain before.

Unless people really do think he’s been a secret Nando’s Brexiteer this whole time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol the commentator for BBC Parliament is called Mark D'Arcy

how apt

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
God tonight is going to be dramatic, and I'm going to be bummed when Labour rebels and/or the Lib Dems and the CUKs scupper our very last chance at preventing hell brexit

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So,
CU2 passes, Mays government falls.
Mays deal passes. DUP break with Tories government falls.
Mays deal passes. May resigns. Tories destroy each other. Government falls.
No deal brexit. Government falls.
Somehow this poo poo keeps going until 2022. Government falls.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

We've had three referenda, and only Brexit was the poo poo result. Changing the voting system is a good idea but not the way the LDs wanted it, and the Scottish Indyref was pandering to the same sort of idiot who want Brexit now except for a different country.

AV ref was a poo poo result, not because AV was a good system, but because voting against it was always going to be taken as voting for the status quo ante, rather than voting for a system other than AV and FPTP. Putting AV in would have opened the door to better systems later, it losing meant FPTP forever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

So,

I've started playing Space Station 13 recently and the constantly falling down does have a certain echo of watching the Tories at work these days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

The media have placed him there, but he's in the 'whatever is Labour party policy' camp from a professional perspective, though i've lost track of exactly what that is right now.

The labour party policy since the referendum has been very definitely doing brexit. Not the way the tories are doing it, but very definitely brexit of some sort.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OzyMandrill posted:

What about repetition or hesitations?

While I'm not aware of a rule on this matter, there is something I've seen Bercow do. If someone's taking up time and they pause for a while, Bercow will thank someone for bringing their remarks to a close and swiftly move on to the next member.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Grey Hunter posted:

So,

Too much to hope for

Too much...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The other nice thing about a referendum between confirming CM2 and just revoking the whole thing is that it does deliver on the actual Brexit vote, just in a concrete way that a lot of people probably won't support. Less chance of a betrayal!!! narrative if people just reject what's actually on offer

Like that's been the thing this whole time, May has been championing her deal and even no deal as WILL OF THE PEOPLE, but they're not - people just voted for a vague "leave", there was no plan for what that would or should even look like, different people have different reasons for supporting brexit but it was always an open-ended thing - you could just assume it would be the kind of brexit YOU want. The one thing No Deal has going for it is it kicks that can down the road again, you can just believe it'll all turn out the way you like, and I bet that's why it polls so well

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Barry Foster posted:

Too much to hope for

Too much...

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Only to time will tell if it's the headlamp of an oncoming train....

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

CM2.0 is a soft Brexit that's probably going to rip the Tories in two (as a party, not individually, sadly) so it's pretty much the best of the plausible outcomes.

Your AV could use some work :shobon:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Technically the moon isn't hitting us on the 29th in that av, which is accurate.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

tell it to whoever bought it for me in the first place (and I have my suspicions)

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

V. Illych L. posted:

corbyn personally is clearly both deeply ambivalent about the EU and has a fair bit of respect for referendum results, so he's probably personally leaning heavily towards some form of soft brexit

however, it's not just his party and i imagine he can be swayed on this, an issue which really isn't that important to him

It's not just that. He's got Milne and Murray in his ear, who are ardently pro Brexit. And the indistinct rightish wafflers of the party are terrified of having to campaign on a remain platform in their northern constituencies. I think that's a little different from Hoey-esque full fledged Brexiteering and also different from the one or two Labour MP Lexiters. Corbyn seems trapped by the need to maintain reasonable support in the parliamentary party, much as May is.

In conclusion the Labour Party cannot make up its mind on this, and can't agree on the reasons why either. Brexit cuts across traditional left/right identities, even if it is a thoroughly right wing project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
At this point Bercow's passive aggression is the constitution.