Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

What are some good book/literature podcasts?

michael silverblatt sometimes has interesting authors on his radio show, which is basically a podcast since you can get it online nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

What are some good book/literature podcasts?

Podcasts are bad and sinful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i am ridiculous. pathetic. a joke!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey everyone, apologies in advance if you see this a few times because I'm going to be spamming it a bit.

Lowtax, our Glorious Leader and the person who keep these forums creeking along, is having more medical problems. He's got a thread elsewhere dealing with that, but the money issues of keeping the forums going are a big part of it. :10bux: to be a poster here forever was kind of a broken financial model from the get go.

The dude has a Patreon up. Originally it was just for some video bullshit but it seems to be SA in general now. If you enjoy this place and like posting I would really recommend considering throwing a few bucks a month his way. Right now he's drawing ~$3.5k per month via it. That's peanuts in the grand scheme of internet things but topping it up a bit would mean the world for a dude who SA is still his primary revenue stream. If we could collectively bump it to even double that it would go a long loving way to making this place keep ticking.

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

So throw a few bucks at it if you think SA in general and TFR in particular is a thing that you value and want to keep around. This isn't to say the forums are looking at getting shut down tomorrow, but its always better to head bullshit off at the pass than deal with it as a crisis.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

avshalemon posted:

i am ridiculous. pathetic. a joke!

i meant it in a good way

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

yay another discord to idle in and never post

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Thank you, FactsAreUseless, for making these places a lot better in one fell swoop.

Going over to donate right now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

evilmiera posted:

Thank you, FactsAreUseless, for making these places a lot better in one fell swoop.

Going over to donate right now.

I too think the forums are better when no one makes me uncomfortable or forces me to be critical about things

Chew your cud and consume products

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
im glad thhe bad man is gone, as he often hurt my feelings by saying things such as; "action figures are toys for children"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I realize this is a stressful time and there's a need to vent, but for now let's keep BotLChat in the Bonfire thread, thanks.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I realize this is a stressful time and there's a need to vent, but for now let's keep BotLChat in the Bonfire thread, thanks.
wretched corn man

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/LRBbookshop/status/1106919280921247744

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

oh hey look at our mod getting all famous in the AV club https://news.avclub.com/something-awful-was-saved-from-the-brink-of-collapse-by-1833420483#ib0tra2hlbzej7d9ln0zbjz.1w2bio2ktaxgm

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

? not sure what you mean

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just finished the Makioka Sisters. O-haru is hilariously goony, not only does she refuse to bathe or wash her clothes, she also collects scabs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Is it good? I got a copy off the free book shelf at the psych ward lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah. Also the only book I've read that ends with diarrhea

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cool, thx :)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's 500 pages with akward dates, a surprisingly amount of feces, O-haru being disgusting and Taeko being rad.
I also think it's adorable that In my edition of the book the translator explains what "sushi" is.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 25, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

This copy is the 28th printing of the 1st edition from 1958, apparently. Charles E. Tuttle Company, Tokyo, 1997. Translated by Edward G. Seidensticker. No foot- or endnotes, but a dramatis personae. We'll see what happens when I get to the sushi!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The dramatis personae seems to be a constant (and honestly kinda helpful to keep track of who is currently trying to gently caress Taeko).

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 26, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So like said, I decided to drop Doctor Sleep and still wanted to read something creepy and dark, so I finally decided to start reading The Road the other day. Holy crap.

I do most of my reading in bed and I had to get up last night, make a sandwich and grab an extra blanket. The book made me actually feel uncomfortable and hungry.

Also speaking of hungry, the storage cellar for people, Jesus loving Christ.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm reading Breakfast of Champions, and is nobody feeding Kilgore Trout's bird while he's on his adventure?? I'm up to the part where he's with the trucker going through Philadelphia. I remember the scene where he offers to let the bird go out the window and the bird chooses its cage instead but that's it. hosed up to let your bird starve.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Never realized that, but that’s such a good and weird book.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm reading Breakfast of Champions, and is nobody feeding Kilgore Trout's bird while he's on his adventure?? I'm up to the part where he's with the trucker going through Philadelphia. I remember the scene where he offers to let the bird go out the window and the bird chooses its cage instead but that's it. hosed up to let your bird starve.

Maybe he left like a bigass pile of birdseed and one of those 5 gallon jugs of water

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I assume Hieronymous is busy since I don't see a thread, but does anyone know if the BotM for April has been decided yet?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
uh

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

hah, my bad. I was looking in the unstickied threads like a dumbass.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

hah, my bad. I was looking in the unstickied threads like a dumbass.

Ok whew I was trying to figure out if there was some weird April Fools thing going on

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ok whew I was trying to figure out if there was some weird April Fools thing going on

Nope, I'm just shockingly unobservant.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

Nope, I'm just shockingly unobservant.

for future reference, I've also started announcing the Book(s) of the month via twitter:
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1112567653523251202

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

for future reference, I've also started announcing the Book(s) of the month via twitter:
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1112567653523251202

awesome now I have better resources with which to spam you with hateful e-bullying

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I’m really disappointed by Black Leopard, Red Wolf. I keep picking it up and putting it down like 10 pages later and I can’t figure out why. I want to like it, it’s weird and compelling in spots but I think I’m just to clueless to pick up what’s happening page-to-page.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I've been asked to try another experiment and set up a Book Barn discord. Link is, provisionally, here:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

We'll see how it goes

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

I've been asked to try another experiment and set up a Book Barn discord. Link is, provisionally, here:

We'll see how it goes

botl's on discord you know

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

We'll see how it goes

i'll make the website

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
is discord like slack. what is discord

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

is discord like slack. what is discord

mIRC for Web 2.0

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

mIRC for Web 2.0

ok im in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
there's a TBB channel on the SA discord though, isn't there?