Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TheReverend posted:

My weight lifting coach has 3 Italian exotics, all insured through GEICO.

Has he ever had to make an actual claim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What exactly do you think the risk is here?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The deductible is probably in the thousands.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

The deductible is probably in the thousands.

It’s no more than what you can choose for your regular car. The cars aren’t distinguished any different in their system. If it’s got a VIN and doesn’t exceed the max they’ll insure it.

I just put in a 2018 S 65 Sedan with a starting price of $232k and it’ll give you a quote with your standard deductibles.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What exactly do you think the risk is here?

Geico is bad. Very bad, about paying legit claims. I realize if you can own a supercar, having to pay out of pocket to fix your damaged car because Geico is dragging their feet or refusing due to some technicality, is probably not a giant hardship. But purchasing a $100k+ car and buying bottom of the barrel insurance from a company that treats its customers like garbage seems like I dunno, at cross purposes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you think GEICO is bad you’re going to run into the same issues with all the major carriers. If you want someone who will throw money at your car you’re looking for a premium insurer with a price point that will make your eyes water. At that point you may as well just self-insure if you’re that baller.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've personally never had an issue with Geico paying out, and my aunt is my rep so I have some leverage that way. It's so cheap because I have my house and other cars on it so there's a big discount.

Geico isn't stupid. They know most people pretty much only drive those kinds of cars to shows and back.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Not to my knowledge, no.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Veloster is a lot less practical than every other hot hatch on the market

What do you recommend?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Presenting Nipples posted:

What do you recommend?

The GTI is the best car in the segment by far unless you are pushing 9/10ths every day on your commute. Otherwise maybe find a leftover FoST, they are really cheap and pretty good.

If you are willing to stretch the definition of hatch to include sedans the Si is probably the best driver, and of course if you want AWD for under $40K the WRX exists. If you are willing to stretch the definition of hot, the Civic Sport, Elantra GT and Mazda 3 2.5 exist.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

What do you recommend?

buy the mini cooper op do not do this

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chevy Bolt, or it's "better" version (does not come in Shock) Hyundai Kona. May not qualify as a hot hatch I don't really know the rules.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I hate the look of the GTI :/ I figured why not do a full post?

Proposed Budget: $30K max but honestly prefer something in the 10 to 15K range
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: I will not be using this car for daily commuting, I take public transit. I will be using this for weekend trips, running errands, camping, joy riding. I would guess i would drive this car a couple hundred miles a month.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Sort of? I haven’t had a car in a few years. I definitely would like to have Apple CarPlay and a really nice sound system.
What aspects are most important to you? I want it to be fun to drive, look stylish/unique, have a nice interior with comfy seats, and be reliable.

For new cars, I like the new civic (looking at the sport touring), new Mazda 3, and Veloster. The civic is probably my favorite looking.

I know cars have changed a lot in the last few years, so I am wondering if there is a particular car/year I should be looking for. I am not a huge fan of American cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I hate the look of the GTI
Veloster
The civic is probably my favorite looking.

Shine on you crazy diamond

If the only feature you really care about is phone integration/sound system, in your budget range you might be better off just planning on doing an aftermarket installation. Not a lot in the sub-15k range will likely have any of that. Lets you focus on finding a well taken care off example of whatever you end up choosing.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 2, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I hate the look of the GTI :/ I figured why not do a full post?

Proposed Budget: $30K max but honestly prefer something in the 10 to 15K range
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: I will not be using this car for daily commuting, I take public transit. I will be using this for weekend trips, running errands, camping, joy riding. I would guess i would drive this car a couple hundred miles a month.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Sort of? I haven’t had a car in a few years. I definitely would like to have Apple CarPlay and a really nice sound system.
What aspects are most important to you? I want it to be fun to drive, look stylish/unique, have a nice interior with comfy seats, and be reliable.

For new cars, I like the new civic (looking at the sport touring), new Mazda 3, and Veloster. The civic is probably my favorite looking.

I know cars have changed a lot in the last few years, so I am wondering if there is a particular car/year I should be looking for. I am not a huge fan of American cars.

Both the Civic and the Mazda 3 are great choices. Test drive both and figure out which one suites you better. The Honda has arguably better advanced safety features / engine at this point. Veloster is a big step below in quality/engineering, but still not a "bad" choice at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

quote:

fun to drive, look stylish/unique, have a nice interior with comfy seats, and be reliable.

Should just buy a Miata imo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

even the (non-N) turbo veloster drives like trash

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That 12k mile MP4-12C I bid on last week is ending in 5 hours, and somehow, I'm still the highest bidder at a hair over 90k. I know that it will go up and I won't win, and even if it doesn't, there's no way the reserve is that low. I know that even if somehow I did win, that would be an insanely good deal for that car and I should be happy to win it. I also know that if I won it, I would have to pony up ~10k for a 5th year service, a post purchase inspection, a 1 year extended service contract and misc other crap on day 1. In cash. In addition to the ~5k bidding fee that would be sitting on my credit card. I feel like throwing up.

Don't do drugsBritish supercars, kids.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 2, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

That 12k mile MP4-12C I bid on last week is ending in 5 hours, and somehow, I'm still the highest bidder at a hair over 90k. I know that it will go up and I won't win, and even if it doesn't, there's no way the reserve is that low. I know that even if somehow I did win, that would be an insanely good deal for that car and I should be happy to win it. I also know that if I won it, I would have to pony up ~10k for a 5th year service, a post purchase inspection, a 1 year extended service contract and misc other crap on day 1. In cash. In addition to the ~5k bidding fee that would be sitting on my credit card. I feel like throwing up.

Don't do drugsBritish supercars, kids.

Your bid history on BAT is like a 12 year old me wants to buy an awesome car. It rules.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Your bid history on BAT is like a 12 year old me wants to buy an awesome car. It rules.

I think I'm literally a 12 year old you with too much money. Except there's an adult part of my brain that realizes 5 minutes after the bid "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO!?" and then I have the horrible feeling of wanting to win while simultaneously dreading winning.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So... fun news.

quote:

I have had a response from McLaren (customerservice.NA@mclaren.com) on the Extended Service Contract requirements. They said:
“We have not had any recent changes to our ESC policy although we have been clarifying some confusion with our retailers recently which may be what you’re experiencing. The policy regarding services has always been that the vehicle must have an unbroken history however some retailers incorrectly believed simply bringing the vehicle up to date is enough. As completing proper services on time is extremely important to the longevity of the vehicle we have been reminding our retailer group that this is mandatory for ESC qualification.”

My understanding is that this car is ineligible for an ESC, due to having missed services. I shudder to think how many ESCs have been sold on ineligible cars.

gently caress

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

90 minutes to go, looking forward to KH's posts about his McLaren

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

90 minutes to go, looking forward to KH's posts about his McLarenbroken hooptie

FTFY.

Edit: You'll know before I do because I have a 90 minute call at 3:30, and if I'm staring at BaT, I'll never be able to concentrate.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Aww drat, someone outbid you in the last 5 minutes.

edit: nevermind, you bid again lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The 2 minute rule is killing me here........it keeeps getting pushed.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Motronic posted:

The 2 minute rule is killing me here........it keeeps getting pushed.

"1 dollar, Bob."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm out. It's still a good deal, but I don't have the kind of money to burn on repairs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Reserve not met. At $97k, not surprised.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Do you feel like you missed out, or dodged a bullet?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently no one gets huge pile of mistake.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Do you feel like you missed out, or dodged a bullet?

I missed out on the excitement of being hit by a bullet.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KillHour posted:

I missed out on the excitement of being hit by a bullet.

Whats next?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Whats next?

Deleting my BaT account before I do something horrifically stupid with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Deleting my BaT account before I do something horrifically stupid with it.

LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE. LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-porsche-911-13/

If I start bidding on this it is 100% your fault.

If anyone questions why, just scroll down to the video and hit play.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE. LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-porsche-911-13/

If I start bidding on this it is 100% your fault.

If anyone questions why, just scroll down to the video and hit play.

If you win it, you have to let me drive it. I mean, it's my fault, after all. :sun:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-autozam-az-1-3/

Oh no it's happening again someonehelppleasegodno

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

HHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

That one jumped out at me too, had never heard of those, jumped on youtube to see what they were and part of me says YYESSSSSSSS

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread has taken a very non-BFC turn.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

HHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

i'm desperately trying to not bid on the balocco or the Flavia or both

the 187 mile NSX is out of my price range and I think the CR will go there soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I went through the pics on the '77 911 and just the recent service/upgrade receipts are more than what I would want to spend on that beautiful, impractical thing.