Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
In ST VI, even the early scene where the Starfleet bigwigs are discussing the Praxis crisis has a couple of very klunky edits or transitions. It feels like it was supposed to be longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Oh really? How did I get the idea he was Deltan then? Weird.

I think the novelization might have said he was Deltan, for some reason.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm pretty sure the credits for IV also run with Deltan for the comms officer on one of the first disabled ships

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
They must have confused Delta IV and Delta City.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Which brings up an observation I had watching ST6 recently. The dinner scene is awful. There, I said it. The Klingons are very adept at using the Federation's ideals against them, but it's 1. baldly cynical on their part, given everything we see of Klingon society even in the film in isolation, and 2. none of the dialogue flows at all. Some individual lines are memorable, which papers it over somewhat, but the characters aren't really responding to each other at all for the most part. I get that they're supposed to be at odds and not communicating well, but it's like it was edited down from a much longer scene into something that barely makes sense.

But back to the first point, the Klingons accuse the Federation of being a Homo sapiens-only club - "present company excepted" due to Spock, but they're also dealing with, at least, a Deltan Federation president, and in ST4 the Federation Council and Starfleet Command are shown to have myriad aliens. But just look at the Empire, there are literally no other races at all in their military or political power structure, and no one calls them out on this. They've enslaved or exterminated all other races within their borders. They don't have a leg to stand on but the scene is still written not only as if they have a point, but the Starfleet members present are cowed and accept the premise, and go to bed in massive guilt, checking their human privilege.
But they're very punchy, memorable, effective individual lines. Why, many people will quote them without thinking! Even accept them as a truth. Perhaps this is further sign of the lack of honor on the part of the Klingon leadership of that period.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

lol but seriously I posted:

remember that the klingon "honour" stuff is bullshit that only worf is naive enough to take at face value

Worf is analogous to an adopted Norwegian kid raised by Latino parents in New York who spends his whole childhood deciding to train to be a glorious viking without ever bothering to spend some time in actual modern Norway first.

Except, like, the Klingon culture being centered on being much bigger assholes than Norway, and all that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'm pretty sure the credits for IV also run with Deltan for the comms officer on one of the first disabled ships

There were also a couple Deltans during the Federation Council scene in ST4.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Number_6 posted:

In ST VI, even the early scene where the Starfleet bigwigs are discussing the Praxis crisis has a couple of very klunky edits or transitions. It feels like it was supposed to be longer.

ST VI had a very lengthy prologue written by Denny Martin Flinn wherein Kirk went around to round up the crew for one final mission. It would have been obscenely expensive to shoot--not to mention that when put into novel form it was loving awful--so it got scrapped and so they tossed in a few tidbits, like Scotty buying a boat, from that prologue.

Editing-wise, it's been a while since I've read my copy of the shooting script and it's 1 a.m. here in Wisconsin so like gently caress if I'm digging it out of a box, but I'm pretty sure it's essentially 1:1 with what's on the screen, with maybe only a line or two cut.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

lol but seriously I posted:

remember that the klingon "honour" stuff is bullshit that only worf is naive enough to take at face value

I know a bunch of people kinda dislike You're cordially invited, but I love the chronicle scene and the fact that Martok is the one who takes it upon himself to tell Worf to get over himself immediately after their fight. Having a Klingon who isn't up that far up his rear end with aristocratic propaganda on the show was good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Valiant setup made sense to me; the Federation is only just starting to mass-produce Defiant ships as a class and still working out the kinks during rapidly escalating wartime, so might as well use new recruits on a new ship to familiarise themselves with what they're likely to be crewing in crisis situations and maybe they'll figure out stuff that the adults miss. Especially since it's likely that Red Squad alumni will be piloting Defiants for real in the next couple of years.

It's all well and good until suddenly the adults are out of the picture and you have a bunch of power-mad kids with a shiny new toy and zero supervision.

Besides, the episode probably wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well with an outdated old training ship whose capabilities are well known; in theory, they could do anything with the Valiant that Sisko could do with the Defiant, right?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Rethinking of this, all the Martok stuff in s6-7 makes me feel his chancellorship after S7 can basically go one of two ways: either he tries to ingratiate himself with the more conservative elements in klingon society and hopes his marriage into upper nobility is good enough to pull a Cicero, or he turns into a "tear everything down" reformer whose administration is probably darkened by back to back civil wars caused by attempts to break the power of the great houses, hoping that something viable comes out of the mess. Both probably with a huge chance of getting murdered along the way.

Also like you still won't see one of the Virginias crewed entirely by Annapolis cadets on their midshipman cruise. If anything it feels like the episode's point is also that mentorship is good even if you're some kind of A student golden boy.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Red Squad sabotage stuff is easy to explain away. "Hey we're doing a pretty hardcore counterforce training exercise here today. Don't worry, the power outage won't last long, all phasers are set on stun. In order to really sell this we won't tell your REDFOR who's coming for them or when. In this time of serious threats to the homeworld we need to be ready and this exercise will be a key part of it."

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Basically all I'm saying re Martok is if the Dis showrunners wanted to do prestige drama GOT bullshit there's literally a good hook at the end of DS9 that Nemesis threw to the wind to write the single most retarded Trek movie plot until ID.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget to throw in the Romulan Empire being smashed apart by the supernova just as the Klingons Balkanize in this scenario too.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just finished the DS9 episode where Sisko and Dukat are trapped together and Dukat is bonkers. loving hell that was good. Especially after watching the first Ro Laren episode of TNG.

Really puts the Federation/Cardassian relationship into perspective.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I did read the novelization at some point, so that's likely it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Automatic Slim posted:

*That whole episode was Leyton’s test in Ethics for the class of ‘72 and they FAILED.
MMMMISERABLY!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget to throw in the Romulan Empire being smashed apart by the supernova

Actually, I rather would.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Which brings up an observation I had watching ST6 recently. The dinner scene is awful. There, I said it. The Klingons are very adept at using the Federation's ideals against them, but it's 1. baldly cynical on their part, given everything we see of Klingon society even in the film in isolation, and 2. none of the dialogue flows at all. Some individual lines are memorable, which papers it over somewhat, but the characters aren't really responding to each other at all for the most part. I get that they're supposed to be at odds and not communicating well, but it's like it was edited down from a much longer scene into something that barely makes sense.

But back to the first point, the Klingons accuse the Federation of being a Homo sapiens-only club - "present company excepted" due to Spock, but they're also dealing with, at least, a Deltan Federation president, and in ST4 the Federation Council and Starfleet Command are shown to have myriad aliens. But just look at the Empire, there are literally no other races at all in their military or political power structure, and no one calls them out on this. They've enslaved or exterminated all other races within their borders. They don't have a leg to stand on but the scene is still written not only as if they have a point, but the Starfleet members present are cowed and accept the premise, and go to bed in massive guilt, checking their human privilege.

This strikes me as a take on the Soviet Union's tactic of Whataboutism, complete with the moral hypocrisy that entails. It just comes off nonsensical because The Federation, for all its faults, is in no ways the Jim-Crow-era 1960s United States. Also come to think of it the only time there's been a human Federation president (aside from the implication that Archer is one of the earliest such presidents) is in novels. Every other time it's been an alien.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's a pity a lot of the people in charge hated the makeup for andorians (and to a lesser extent tellarites) considering at that point the beta cannon stuff that made them two of the four founding powers of the UFP was already vaguely accepted, movie budgets feels like they'd have been a good time to throw a bunch of them in the core crew instead of just on the council (along with other aliens since TVH really seems to have gone nuts on the new never-seen-before federation aliens)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Angry_Ed posted:

Also come to think of it the only time there's been a human Federation president (aside from the implication that Archer is one of the earliest such presidents) is in novels. Every other time it's been an alien.

The first Federation President we ever see (in Star Trek 4) is human.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

The first Federation President we ever see (in Star Trek 4) is human.

Whoops, I completely blanked on that. Still, after that point, onscreen at least, it was an alien.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's a pity a lot of the people in charge hated the makeup for andorians (and to a lesser extent tellarites) considering at that point the beta cannon stuff that made them two of the four founding powers of the UFP was already vaguely accepted, movie budgets feels like they'd have been a good time to throw a bunch of them in the core crew instead of just on the council (along with other aliens since TVH really seems to have gone nuts on the new never-seen-before federation aliens)

There are a couple of Andorians in the crowd TMP when the whole Enterprise crew is assembled. (With, it must be said, really crappy makeup.) And there's a couple of Andorian officers in IV. Odd that there's none in the crowd at Khitomer in VI.

I really hope the Picard series gives us some Andorians, even just in the background; we've never seen any past the 23rd century, and I'd like to know they're alright...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope they kept all the Andorian makeup stuff from Enterprise in a box somewhere.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

I really hope the Picard series gives us some Andorians, even just in the background; we've never seen any past the 23rd century, and I'd like to know they're alright...

Well, there was this one:

And also this one in the background on Risa while Picard was rocking his silver speedo:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jesus, those peanut heads

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bedshaped posted:

Just finished the DS9 episode where Sisko and Dukat are trapped together and Dukat is bonkers. loving hell that was good. Especially after watching the first Ro Laren episode of TNG.

Really puts the Federation/Cardassian relationship into perspective.

This episode has one of my favorite Sisko hammy bits, where Dukat is ranting about how he was a great leader for Bajor and Sisko just stops and screams "EVIDENCE!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Jesus, those peanut heads

:manning:

Alternatively: "We come from France!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's funny that you can basically see the limitations of makeup of the time. The big hair was obviously there to hide the support structure for the stalks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Discovery’s Andorian and Tellarite designs are good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They gotta stop eliding the porcine qualities of Tellarites, tho. That's the fun part of them!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

Discovery’s Andorian and Tellarite designs are good.

Aren't Disco's tellarites, like, not even short? :arghfist:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any depiction of Tellarites that don't include hooves are objectively wrong.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Angry_Ed posted:

Whoops, I completely blanked on that. Still, after that point, onscreen at least, it was an alien.

All both of them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

It's funny that you can basically see the limitations of makeup of the time. The big hair was obviously there to hide the support structure for the stalks.

I don't have a TOS screenshot handy but I do not recall TOS Andorians having heads that big.

Number_6 posted:

I'm guessing that's partly the result of stitching different takes together. For example, Admiral Cartwright's diatribe starting with "I must protest! ..." consists of two different takes cut together... the story I've heard is that Brock Turner found it so distasteful he couldn't get through it in a single take.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't have a TOS screenshot handy but I do not recall TOS Andorians having heads that big.

Not hardly.

TNG Andorians were just hilariously and inexplicably terrible

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Well, there was this one:

And also this one in the background on Risa while Picard was rocking his silver speedo:

The really dumb thing about TNG's hideous designs is that IV has both Tellarites and Andorians in the council scene and their makeup is genuinely good, it feels more like a deliberate "I hate andorians and I'll deliberately gently caress the design up" thing than a budget or tech limitation, I'm still convinced the freighter captain in one of the early DS9 eps is supposed to be Tellarite though even if it's basically unsaid

Also IV came out mid season 2 of TNG so I'm not sure I'd buy the technical issue with the lovely wig

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 1, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The stalks we're a lot shorter though. Also, I'm not sure if the TNG stuff moves on its own but if it did it would require a hidden mechanism.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Errand of Mercy? Rura Penthe? I guess the latter isn't strictly comparable but it's a small leap from there, even if you discount the TOS TV Klingons. "The Aliens' Graveyard."

It's not as good of a movie as a lot of fans like to think.

Yeah, but the historical context for this fits perfectly with the movies obvious Cold War metaphor. The Soviets criticized the US about our civil rights conflicts all the time, but then massively quashed and imprisoned non-Russian ethnicities in their own borders. This is a thing that actually happened historically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t like how Disco inexplicably decided to down-pitch Andorian voices though.