Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just wish Switch controllers were cheaper.

But seriously someone needs to bring back Champions of Norath style gameplay for modern systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Antioch posted:

There's a new Marvel Alliance game coming out for the Switch and I am really hoping the monkey's paw doesn't curl a finger because I have been wishing for a new game in that series for years.

I'm hesitant, just because the lineup of characters shown so far has been dangerously 'standard' for what you'd expect Marvel to put forward right now. The fun part of the MUA lineup to me was that you had some pretty esoteric picks that showed the breadth of the Marvel universe; there were people with movies you'd probably know, sure, but you also got the likes of Moon Knight, Doctor Strange back when he was still kind of a weirdo esoteric character, Ms. Marvel before she even mattered. And the villains got pretty vibrant too, mixing in 'modern but hadn't gotten a movie break yet' Winter Soldier with Arcade, who hadn't been relevant in decades.

But with 3 almost every single character, hero or villain, is someone with a movie under their belt. In the trailers the most surprising thing was that they were using comic-costume Iron Fist, and a quick scan of Wikipedia tells me that Lockjaw and Crystal have gotten in, but that's basically all for the non-A-list.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If everybody has to play on their own console then you get to sell four copies of your game and four online subscriptions.

On the Switch splitscreen games don't require four seperate accounts to play, which is a big plus.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I just wish Switch controllers were cheaper.

I just wish the loving d-pad on my pro controller worked properly instead of being a piece of poo poo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

I just wish the loving d-pad on my pro controller worked properly instead of being a piece of poo poo

Please don't sign your posts.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Playing my way through Psychonauts on a lark has reminded me how glad I am that the "let's scramble the player's controls for fake difficulty" school of design has largely died a screaming, fiery death. The game largely holds up to the test of time, but scaling Thorney Towers with those exploding Confusion-blasting PSY-rats, each scaling the walls and ceilings to keep up with me, has caused me no end of grief.

I am not looking forward to the Meat Circus (spoilers for a fifteen-year-old game, I dunno).

Decided to pick up Psychonauts as it's on sale on PS4 for a couple of quid. I didn't really have the problems you did because I just liberally used invisibility any time I heard those stupid rats squeak, which made them easy to pick off. But yeah the confusion effects suck.

Overall, what a wonderful game - right up until the last level. It's ridiculous. The controls and camera were never great, as is the case for virtually every third person platformer from before the 360/PS3 generation, but serviceable enough for most of the game. Then the last level requires pinpoint accurate platforming with a camera that likes to swing behind things so you can't see what you're doing, and you have to complete four increasingly hard sections in a row - in each of which you have to catch up to a whining NPC that dies if you don't make complete the section in about thirty seconds because the NPC is constantly taking damage from enemies that you have no way of killing until the very end of the section. Once you've killed them, you have a few seconds to hold a rabbit still while the NPC waddles painfully slowly toward you, while the enemies continue to respawn infinitely and will continue attacking the NPC. So you have to put the rabbit down, which causes it to run off further from the NPC, while you deal with the enemies, and then pick up the rabbit again and hope that the NPC catches up to you this time. Oh, and on the last two sections there are invincible dudes throwing knives at you from way off camera.

If you miss a jump, get hit by knives too many times or take too long you have to start from the beginning of the four sections.

The rest of the game had a decent difficulty curve, then it just ramps it up insanely for this section. I gave up and watched the remaining ~20 minutes of the game on Youtube because I was pissed off. Annoyingly, all the stuff after this section looks pretty straightforward.

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Apr 1, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Quote-Unquote posted:

If you miss a jump, get hit by knives too many times or take too long you have to start from the beginning of the four sections.

When it first came out, if you failed and died you needed to start over from the beginning of the level. (or at least at the beginning of the first of those four sections, don't quite remember)

That said Psychonauts is still one of my favourite games, warts and all, just due to the amount of charm it possesses in everything from levels, to characters, to dialogue and plot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

Psychonauts

I only tried this game once way back in the day, and mainly remember burning out on it, thinking the exact same story and characters should've been in a post-LucasArts adventure game, and never looking back.
Thinking maybe it's time to give it another go with all the discussion I've seen lately, especially at the ultra-bargain price point.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Morpheus posted:

When it first came out, if you failed and died you needed to start over from the beginning of the level. (or at least at the beginning of the first of those four sections, don't quite remember)

That said Psychonauts is still one of my favourite games, warts and all, just due to the amount of charm it possesses in everything from levels, to characters, to dialogue and plot.

This is the original release, PS2 version. I think the PC version added checkpoints in a patch.

It really is an amazing game otherwise. I'll just never finish it!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
not only did tinier, stupider me complete the original meat circus, i did it while somehow climbing the wrong side of the net during the rising-water section

i think i'd already read that the level was broken so i just didn't question how bullshit it was

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

spit on my clit posted:

I AM ALSO UPSET ABOUT THIS
I paid fuckin ludicrously for the pro controller and left and right register as up, like, 2% of the time?
Which doesn't sound like a lot but in a precision game like Tetris that is a SERIOUS gently caress up and happens TOO much.
I've taken to just playing with the nunchuks that have four individual directional buttons.

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Apr 1, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Poulpe posted:

I paid fuckin ludicrously for the pro controller and left and right register as up, like, 2% of the time?
Which doesn't sound like a lot but in a precision game like Tetris that is a SERIOUS gently caress up and happens TOO much.
I've taken to just playing with the nunchuks that have four individual directional buttons.

If you press up or down on the d-pad in the wrong way it'll register a left or right input. guess you can try that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey Division 2, I know that I'm using outdated equipment. Instead of nagging me to equip something more current, how about at level 20 you finally drop a semi auto rifle that does more damage then the blue grade one I got back at level 11?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing a picross game on my phone, and it's one of those that has the big images made of a bunch on tiny puzzles. However, they unlock a drawn image trying to show the same scene to tell a story, and the drawn image looks infinitely worse than the pixel art that the puzzles create:

Pixel:

Drawn:

It's less of a prize and more of a punishment. It's like the Half-Minute Hero remake art.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Pixel:

Drawn:

Haha, wow, you're not kidding. It's like a children's coloring book after the fact.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not sure it fits here because apparently Anthem just sucks all the way around but this is a cool article about how a bad video game gets made by a big company with talented people.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Years ago I thought about trying to get into video game design and development but I figured if I did, I'd wind up really hating video games and decided against it. I've always wondered if the people that work on games enjoy playing them at all or if they just pick out the tricks and the game structure or just otherwise hate looking at games after so many long hours building them.

From all accounts, it sounds like a poo poo job with insane hours that just grinds through and burns out artists, taking advantage of their enthusiasm and the fact probably so many creators are dying to break into the field.

Might be a cool A/T thread (and there probably is one): "ASK me about being a game developer". Sounds like it sucks.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure it fits here because apparently Anthem just sucks all the way around but this is a cool article about how a bad video game gets made by a big company with talented people.

Years ago I thought about trying to get into video game design and development but I figured if I did, I'd wind up really hating video games and decided against it. I've always wondered if the people that work on games enjoy playing them at all or if they just pick out the tricks and the game structure or just otherwise hate looking at games after so many long hours building them.

From all accounts, it sounds like a poo poo job with insane hours that just grinds through and burns out artists, taking advantage of their enthusiasm and the fact probably so many creators are dying to break into the field.

Might be a cool A/T thread (and there probably is one): "ASK me about being a game developer". Sounds like it sucks.

There's a thread right over here!
And yes, the industry is exactly as you described it in most cases. Low salaries, ridiculously high hours, even worse crunch time all in the name of "your dream job." Even as a software developer myself I can pick out how games are put together, but they're still fun! It's a really wide space for creativity.

Stuff like Risk of Rain 2 or Baba Is You, there's always stuff you'd never dream of making reality. It's fun!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

every month I see something that again makes me so glad I pivoted from my original plan of game development over to general software development instead. that entire industry looks so loving miserable to work in.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

BiggerBoat posted:

Goddamnit, the response from Bioware and EA is loving garbage.

Assholes at Bioware posted:

We don’t see the value in tearing down one another, or one another’s work. We don’t believe articles that do that are making our industry and craft better.

What a slap in the face to all the devs who burned out because of Bioware's lovely management being unable to get their poo poo together.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

Poulpe posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so glad to hear someone else say this - i thoughtit was just an iaaue i was having. Nothing worse than actually having a decent run in Tetris ruined because the dumb L block just sits its rear end down right in the middle of the screen

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been playing a picross game on my phone, and it's one of those that has the big images made of a bunch on tiny puzzles. However, they unlock a drawn image trying to show the same scene to tell a story, and the drawn image looks infinitely worse than the pixel art that the puzzles create:

Pixel:

Drawn:

It's less of a prize and more of a punishment. It's like the Half-Minute Hero remake art.

PicrossLuna 1 or 2? Have one of them on my phone but i gotta get back into playing it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

eddoghetto posted:

PicrossLuna 1 or 2? Have one of them on my phone but i gotta get back into playing it

The first one.

also I've started trying out Granstream Saga and I have a major problem with the top-down camera - it's so tightly zoomed in it's hard to tell what the layout of dungeons is, and the lack of a map to bring up just makes the game feel impenetrable. It's more frustrating than anything.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sekiro: I spent 10 minutes gradually picking off support soldiers before tackling a miniboss ninja. Once I've cleared out the guards I approach my target through the thicket, hoping to get a surprise stealth attack to start the fight. At the last minute, I figure I should use a quick buff, so select it from the menu. Sekiro then stands proudly out of cover and gulps it down, alerting the ninja and ruining my plan.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Sekiro: I spent 10 minutes gradually picking off support soldiers before tackling a miniboss ninja. Once I've cleared out the guards I approach my target through the thicket, hoping to get a surprise stealth attack to start the fight. At the last minute, I figure I should use a quick buff, so select it from the menu. Sekiro then stands proudly out of cover and gulps it down, alerting the ninja and ruining my plan.

he's a greedy little bitch

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So was r type final an April fools day joke? I never got to play final because I don't have any playstation but love the games :(

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ilmucche posted:

So was r type final an April fools day joke? I never got to play final because I don't have any playstation but love the games :(

Not a joke, starting crowdfunding next month: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-03-r-type-final-2-is-real-and-very-much-not-a-joke

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

To be fair the candies tell you that you're going to assume their respective stance when you eat them, unless you thought it was just flavor text.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Watching some Mortal Kombat 11 footage and at least one x-ray move has a guy get stabbed under their chin and the weapon coming out of the crown of their head, and I'm thinking these are heading deeper and deeper into Fatality territory.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Watching some Mortal Kombat 11 footage and at least one x-ray move has a guy get stabbed under their chin and the weapon coming out of the crown of their head, and I'm thinking these are heading deeper and deeper into Fatality territory.
And that's... bad?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

And that's... bad?

Sounds like it's getting more violent but maybe in a bad way? I have no idea what Fatality is or why you'd want to avoid that though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The first MK11 trailer had someone getting stabbed through their eyes and the blades coming out of the other side and it only got better from there

All the MK11 trailers are spectacular btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPPbdSK_lrY

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know what he means; there are normal moves that are getting really close to 'cinematic and lethal enough to be a finisher'. I think it was in Noob Saibot's reveal trailer that I saw one that I seriously thought was a Fatality, until it was immediately followed up with the actual Fatality, which might be the example he's talking about.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Kitana’s X-ray in MK9 had her stab the enemy in the back of the head until the points of the blades came out of their eyes, then pull the blades out and stab them in the eyes until the blades came out the back of their head. They’ve always been like that.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

X-Ray moves are supposed to be cringe inducing crippling attacks with bones snapping and organs popping.

Fatalities are supposed to be ultra violent fatal mutilation.

They fit neatly into their own categories so I can see why X-Rays just become low-key fatality animations makes them less unique.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'this torture porn move is being categorized incorrectly'

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

X-Ray moves are supposed to be cringe inducing crippling attacks with bones snapping and organs popping.

Fatalities are supposed to be ultra violent fatal mutilation.

They fit neatly into their own categories so I can see why X-Rays just become low-key fatality animations makes them less unique.

X-Rays never end up with chunks missing off the other character, I'm pretty sure that's the only difference.

Also I love how far they've taken it. MKX was very nearly a little too much on the disturbing side, but now it's like an Unreal Engine Troma film.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I knew I was officially Old when I saw the X-ray bullet stuff from the latest Sniper whatever game and thought why would I want to see that it’s awful :o:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What's that game where you can shoot someone's sack and you get an x-ray view of their testes exploding?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Sniper Elite. Specifically, you can get an x-ray view of Hitler's testes exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

OutOfPrint posted:

Sniper Elite. Specifically, you can get an x-ray view of Hitler's testes exploding.

Not “testes.” Hitler had just the one, both in real life and in the game.

Watching more XCOM 2. The enemy can have turrets, and if you destroy one a win a mission where they appear and it’s the kind of mission where you clear the map instead of evacuating your guys after accomplishing the objective, you can take the wrecks back to base like any other enemy corpse, study them, and learn to build a facility that lets you deploy your own on base defense missions.

The problem is that turrets only appear on certain tile sets so actually getting the type of mission where you both kill a turret and are able to bring it back might not happen during a play through. Also, if you do get a mission where a turret appears, and you kill every mobile enemy and complete the objective without seeing it, you don’t collect the turret wreck. Really annoying if you’re a completionist.