Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dazerbeams posted:

Well, a job application is supposed to be strictly professional. And this woman's lifestyle choice specifically barred her from the job she otherwise would have gotten. You just can't work with food and refuse to taste the majority of what you're producing, and she should at least be made aware of that fact.

Yeah I kinda feel like if you're vegan and a chef, you should know the non-vegan chef job just isn't for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

That, and accept that applying for jobs will inevitably include refusals.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dazerbeams posted:

Well, a job application is supposed to be strictly professional. And this woman's lifestyle choice specifically barred her from the job she otherwise would have gotten. You just can't work with food and refuse to taste the majority of what you're producing, and she should at least be made aware of that fact.

The reason a lot of companies just ghost people rather than be straight-up about why they weren't hired is what happened in this case.

Sure, it would be better if this person knew for sure what they can do to get jobs. But odds are they're going to have a bad reaction to hearing it. Whereas if you just never talk to them again, well they'll never flip out on you because they still think there's a small chance of getting a job.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The reason a lot of companies just ghost people rather than be straight-up about why they weren't hired is what happened in this case.

Sure, it would be better if this person knew for sure what they can do to get jobs. But odds are they're going to have a bad reaction to hearing it. Whereas if you just never talk to them again, well they'll never flip out on you because they still think there's a small chance of getting a job.

Yeah. It sounds like the manager wanted to do the right thing with the follow-up and got burned for being considerate.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

I know she wasn't, but why not just say "we decided to with someone else" instead of saying we are specifically not hiring you because you're vegan? Or why does guy whois secretly gay prefers 'boyish' women have to say he didn't want to go on a second date with that girl because he didn't like what she had going on in the chest area?

These absolutely aren't comparable situations, because feedback like that can be legitimately helpful when looking at job applications. He didn't specifically not hire her because she was vegan, he specifically didn't hire her because she refused to taste her own food, which is extremely important for a chef.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

Or try to sue you for discriminatory hiring practices. It is much more professional to say nothing or be extremely vague.

FELD1 posted:

Setting aside that these are two very different situations, how is preferring more masculine women make someone gay exactly?

Liking boobs is literally the thing that makes you not gay :confused:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

There are plenty of men walking around with tits that are at least Cs. You might want to rethink your criteria.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Every single cooking competition show from the time such things began has included a vegetarian/vegan chef in the beginning pack and they are always eliminated the second they have to cook something with meat, because what they make is not as good as a chef who knows how to cook with meat.

She’s not the person for the job period, and making that decision is the perogative of the hiring manager.

Also: being vegan is not a protected class.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > r/relationships: she would not have been a comfortable fit in such a meat heavy environment

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

that was my dad 100%. i went to this stupid loving catholic highschool that changed the grade scale, so As were only 94-100, B was like 87-93, etc (which was a whole other level of dumb, because the colleges only looked at the letters, they cant be hosed to look up that youre in a stupid "high achiever" school and it messes up your transcript), and even then i'd bring home a 94 and he'd go "well its only an A-, you can do better." shockingly, this isnt good for longterm mental health, as can be shown by my account on this site

This bullshit is why I'm glad we use percentages in Australia for most grades.

A, B, C, etc is just loving stupid.

Oh, hey, what score did you get on the test?

Oh, about this-ish.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

TheScott2K posted:

They're bonkers numbers. This is the third thread dad has posted and in one of the other ones he describes the kid as "not exceptional." Dad is nuts.

Yeah according to my limited knowledge of both those tests that kid is in the upper tiers of both. Dad's looking forward to a future of alienation if he doesn't chill the gently caress out.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This bullshit is why I'm glad we use percentages in Australia for most grades.

A, B, C, etc is just loving stupid.

Oh, hey, what score did you get on the test?

Oh, about this-ish.

Oh I think Americans are well aware just how dumb that is, but we refuse to change it because we throw it in the pile of not changing things "becuase that's how it was when I was a kid dammit, and I don't see any reason to change it".

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

gently caress Your Website posted:

Every single cooking competition show from the time such things began has included a vegetarian/vegan chef in the beginning pack and they are always eliminated the second they have to cook something with meat, because what they make is not as good as a chef who knows how to cook with meat.

She’s not the person for the job period, and making that decision is the perogative of the hiring manager.

It is, but explaining to the applicant exactly what personal characteristic makes them not a good fit is using their prerogative to be stupid and invite trouble on themselves and the business.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

QuarkJets posted:

Why would this detail matter?

Because there has to be a reason the wife was loving multiple men in order to get pregnant with their semen instead of her husband's

interesting that you presume women just instinctively and automatically cheat for no reason and any rationale whatsoever is completely condemnable

Heliogabalos fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 1, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Heliogabalos posted:

Because there has to be a reason the wife was loving multiple men in order to get pregnant with their semen instead of her husband's

interesting that you presume women just automatically cheat for no reason

yikes

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Heliogabalos posted:

interesting that you presume women just automatically cheat for no reason

Yeah because she's a bad person.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
LOL

misogynists (virgins/MRAs), assemble!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

that was my dad 100%. i went to this stupid loving catholic highschool that changed the grade scale, so As were only 94-100, B was like 87-93, etc (which was a whole other level of dumb, because the colleges only looked at the letters, they cant be hosed to look up that youre in a stupid "high achiever" school and it messes up your transcript), and even then i'd bring home a 94 and he'd go "well its only an A-, you can do better." shockingly, this isnt good for longterm mental health, as can be shown by my account on this site

That grade scale is loving bullshit and I will always hate it for this exact reason. Perfectionist parents, oh you only made an a-?

Hey you know what's real easy? Hanging out with friends when you're expected to make the highest grades humanly possible all the time! It's sortof exhausting to have to be the best all the time and hey, maybe just vegging out is really attractive when you're worn out from all of the school ever.

Wonder if these two problems have anything to do with each other?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Heliogabalos posted:

LOL

"Believing that a woman cheating on her husband is bad??? Pfff, MRAs and incels these days......."

This is certainly a take alright

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Midnight Voyager posted:

That grade scale is loving bullshit and I will always hate it for this exact reason. Perfectionist parents, oh you only made an a-?

Hey you know what's real easy? Hanging out with friends when you're expected to make the highest grades humanly possible all the time! It's sortof exhausting to have to be the best all the time and hey, maybe just vegging out is really attractive when you're worn out from all of the school ever.

yeah. it also makes you hate work, and yourself, because you're never good enough so why even do it unless someone is literally making you do it. so its real great for self motivation too!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It turns out she's a time-traveler and every single one of her children will need this exact set of DNA in the coming apocalypse. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Heliogabalos posted:

LOL

:whitewater:

too easy

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wasn’t there also some statistics showing that there are wayyy more A students now than like 30 years ago, and that it had everything to do with parents demanding their kids be A students? I might be making this up but I thought this was a thing a few years ago.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

YaketySass posted:

It turns out she's a time-traveler and every single one of her children will need this exact set of DNA in the coming apocalypse. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

This is the best of all of the hot takes, and I will remember it when I am bleeding out in the North American wastelands in 2037.

"At least that one redditor's wife knew which guys to gently caress to make sure the human race lives on..."

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

I know she wasn't, but why not just say "we decided to with someone else" instead of saying we are specifically not hiring you because you're vegan? Or why does guy whois secretly gay prefers 'boyish' women have to say he didn't want to go on a second date with that girl because he didn't like what she had going on in the chest area?

I don't really see the problem with the vegan explanation, but the chest guy is a complete jerk. Giving the chef that reason is completely normal and will prevent the woman from thinking it was because of x, y, or z that she wasn't hired.

It's pretty dumb to say someone is secretly gay because they prefer smaller chests BTW.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't really see the problem with the vegan explanation, but the chest guy is a complete jerk. Giving the chef that reason is completely normal and will prevent the woman from thinking it was because of x, y, or z that she wasn't hired.

It's pretty dumb to say someone is secretly gay because they prefer smaller chests BTW.

It also hopefully would prevent the girl from applying to jobs she’s not going to get, so she can instead focus on places that will actually hire a vegan chef. For example, a vegan restaurant. I realize this is easier said than done, but she could also just focus on places that aren’t literally all meat.

Also, I in fairness, I think the previous poster was reacting to the dude saying he liked “boyish” girls. It still dumb, just not as dumb.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Power Khan posted:

AITA for refusing to hire a vegan chef when most of our dishes are meat based?]

I am bit concerned at this point. I ask her if she is aware that we are a grill house/cafe with a heavy emphasis on meat. I ask her how she is going to taste the dishes if she can not/will not eat meat. She assures she me that she will just have someone else do it, but this does not work for me. We get very busy and everyone has their own express job inside of the kitchen. The head chef is responsible for all final tasting and quality control. It is an important duty. A chef who refuses to taste their own food might as well be cooking with a hand tied behind their back, as my mother put it later.

LOL

Does Meat Heavy Environment fit the username requirements here?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

gently caress Your Website posted:

Aren't people who have dietary restrictions for religious reasons a protected class, ie Jains? I mean we don't know if that's the deal with this lady but that seems like a risk that could be avoided by not being specific about why she isn't getting hired.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Okay, now I'm even more confused.

I'm kinda dense, though, so whatever. Not important I guess.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

The part about him retaking the SAT because he knows his score is too low makes me sad.

If he can do better, he should do better. I had a friend in high school who got a 1500 and it wasn't good enough for comp sci at Cal. If he can bump his score up to 1520 or 1540 he goes from low elite to middle/high elite, and that makes a big difference.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Norton the First posted:

If he can do better, he should do better. I had a friend in high school who got a 1500 and it wasn't good enough for comp sci at Cal. If he can bump his score up to 1520 or 1540 he goes from low elite to middle/high elite, and that makes a big difference.

Can't he just drop the SAT from his apps and just go on the 34 ACT? Are there elite schools that refuse ACT?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wanting that kid to get his permit sounds like the opposite of the "overachiever parent" stereotypes that I hold - it sounds like he genuinely wants his son to have a better social life and *isn't* single-mindedly focused on grades. Like, maybe he's too involved, but wanting your kid to go out, do things with other kids, and be present in the world seems like the exact opposite of whatever "typical" overachiever parenting.

Then again, I also retook my 1460, wtf do I know???

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

Aren't people who have dietary restrictions for religious reasons a protected class, ie Jains?
It's pretty clear that's not the case here so let's not try to relitigate EEOC policy ITT, but no, a meat restaurant does not legally have to hire a vegan cook under any circumstances as doing so would clearly bring undue hardship, disruption, dimished efficiency, and any number of other clearly defined legal exceptions, refer here if confused https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/qanda_religion.html

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
hey, does anyone remember that post by a girlfriend or wife who had discovered her husband's bachelor attic? something about using old shirts as jerkrags, and they had fused to the floor (maybe caused water damage)? maybe pissjars too. i reread that ooooold martin random houseshare story a couple days ago and i've been trying to find that story

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

Aren't people who have dietary restrictions for religious reasons a protected class, ie Jains? I mean we don't know if that's the deal with this lady but that seems like a risk that could be avoided by not being specific about why she isn't getting hired.

You can still choose not to hire someone if their sincerely held religious belief prevents them from performing core job functions and there is no reasonable accommodation that can be made. Like if you are hiring someone for weekends and they insist they can't work Sundays because Sunday is the lord's day then thou can't do the job.

If she can't eat meat and tasting what she cooks is part of the job, the isn't much way around that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Norton the First posted:

I got the distinct impression from that post that the kid knows his score is too low because dad told him it was too low. It's recommended to take it twice though, so that's not really a big deal by itself. Based on the OP and the other posts by him, the dad seems very much like the "what's the big deal about getting straight A's, you should be doing that anyway" type. There might be a good reason why the kid doesn't want to do much in his spare time. Although dad is right about him getting his permit and learning to drive.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

therobit posted:

You can still choose not to hire someone if their sincerely held religious belief prevents them from performing core job functions and there is no reasonable accommodation that can be made. Like if you are hiring someone for weekends and they insist they can't work Sundays because Sunday is the lord's day then thou can't do the job.

If she can't eat meat and tasting what she cooks is part of the job, the isn't much way around that.

I'm choosing to believe this was deliberate.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

LOL

Does Meat Heavy Environment fit the username requirements here?

Dunno, but I know what I want printed on all my underwear in future.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Straight guys have to find obese guys with big tits sexy. It is the Law!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Wait what? About the SATs? I only took it once, back in 1999, and got a 1450 (i think it was max 1600 back then too) with no prep and my parents said that was bullshit, i could do better, blah blah blah so i joined the military to get them to shut up about retaking it so i could get into college. I was under the impression that under 1500 was, like, full blown moron and that EVERYONE got between 1500 and 1600